Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What's the story with nukes in the warframe universe?

Nuclear devices are pretty much ancient, bad technology as far as the superfuture of Warframe is concerned.

They're almost universally dirty bombs to some extent and they have the technology to make much more destructive weapons without any fallout, so that's what they do.  Generally, habitable space is getting in shorter and shorter supply, so there's no interest in any of it.  Conflicting factions maintain a level of economic warfare, combat personnel, logistical conveyances, and combat-ready vehicles, operating precisely and with reduced collateral damage.

• Like 3

If I recall, Gara's story and final sacrifice involves a (eluded to) nuke, or something. My thoughts, they're just like everything else Pre-Orokin Era. Deemed ancient and significantly less useful technologies compared to their current arsenals (only to of course to be dug up once they couldn't kill Sentients with their current weaponry).

Just to note: "allude" and "elude" are completely different.  The first is synonymous with "hint," where as the second is "evade."  (I find wrong word errors bothersome, particularly the glaring ones.)

Back on topic: As far as I remember, the bomb Gara used was void powered, and strong enough to ruin the blast zone for some time.  Granted, that time had to have been relatively short given how soon afterward the guard was posted.

Additionally, for the Warframe universe, I would not be surprised if nuclear weapons are strictly reserved for planet killing.

I'll build a Radiation Tonka and get back to you on that.

But in all seriousness they would likely be obsolete when you consider things like Grineer Fomorians exist, the moment you get to massive starfleet destruction levels of power being able to blow up a country or two becomes small beans by comparison.

More than likely the tech exists, but it's possible the required materials are scarce or even spent entirely. There's surprisingly little viable Uranium and Plutonium around in the great scheme of things, at least in quantities large enough to mine. According to one source, our current supply for nuclear reactors is just two centuries at current consumption. Historically, people have looked for new fuel sources when the old sources have run out - so it's entirely possible that the void was discovered due to an energy crisis.

We can be pretty sure that Fomorian Cores run off nuclear power (since the land will be "uninhabitable for millenia") but the stated half-life would make it uninhabitable for Half-life is how stable something is, and a longer half-life means more time radioactive. Waste is usually more stable than the isotopes used in fuel and bombs as reactions almost always produce a more stable result. It's possible Fomorian cores run on reclaimed Nuclear Waste, which would mean they produce a lot less bang for their buck, but could still run pretty much forever - and of course render areas radioactive pretty much forever whenever they go boom. This would probably explain why the Grineer wouldn't requisition Fomorian tech for bombs - you can't conquer an uninhabitable wasteland.

Considering that the Orokin reached the technological high at the height of their Empire, science would only compel them to try to go further. 

Because the Grineer and Corpus were subjects/lived under Orokin rule, I’d imagine their scientists would be trying to reach for a higher state of tech as well, after seeing what the Golden civilization could achieve. 

Trying to develop nukes would be the most backwards thing for them. 

1 hour ago, Loza03 said:

More than likely the tech exists, but it's possible the required materials are scarce or even spent entirely. There's surprisingly little viable Uranium and Plutonium around in the great scheme of things, at least in quantities large enough to mine. According to one source, our current supply for nuclear reactors is just two centuries at current consumption. Historically, people have looked for new fuel sources when the old sources have run out - so it's entirely possible that the void was discovered due to an energy crisis.

I 100% support this. The Orokin sent the sentients to go searching for resources in Tau, implying that there was indeed a very severe shortage of these materials, I’d assume. 

1 hour ago, Loza03 said:

We can be pretty sure that Fomorian Cores run off nuclear power (since the land will be "uninhabitable for millenia") but the stated half-life would make it uninhabitable for Half-life is how stable something is, and a longer half-life means more time radioactive. Waste is usually more stable than the isotopes used in fuel and bombs as reactions almost always produce a more stable result. It's possible Fomorian cores run on reclaimed Nuclear Waste, which would mean they produce a lot less bang for their buck, but could still run pretty much forever - and of course render areas radioactive pretty much forever whenever they go boom. This would probably explain why the Grineer wouldn't requisition Fomorian tech for bombs - you can't conquer an uninhabitable wasteland.

Not necessarily. Half-life applies to individual isotopes of a given element. However the decay of unstable isotopes, especially the heavy ones, often produces other unstable nuclei. The result is a chain of reactions that only terminate when a stable isotope is formed. 

Here's a site which will supply both the natural decay chain of U-238 as an example and the half-lives in a tabular form. (For the non chemists "plomb" is lead in English and for the non-european the numbers are wonky because the comma is used as a radix point to show decimals, not to indicate thousands. So the half-life of polonium-210 is a little over 138 days, not 138 thousand days.)

http://www.radioactivity.eu.com/site/pages/Radioactive_Series.htm

You'll note that some are measured in thousands of years, and others in days or seconds, but those fluctuate along the chain. 

And then we can begin to consider the "conservation of strangeness". 😁

• Like 1

oh the nuke...well basically the bomb weren't that great or either its lost technology that no one want go back research using nuke bombs, but the grineer can use nukes it just they focusing on being all great of the empire 2nd copyright roman empire 2.5 because they wanted use infantry instead of machinery fire power but they did made rocket launcher but they want cannons...

Cannon like the WWII german leader...

Spoiler

vo124lwa.jpg

which they did made big gun in kuva fortress which get me scratching my head about this...why did they use their cannon on Cetus and bombarded it like no day tomorrow? I mean they been doing shooting our space station but had not thought of shooting at a city that they want to kill 🤔 are they really that stupid?  I mean the shield of cetus doesn't have that high defense against space orbit gun which orokin failed to block a sentient going down to earth.

Anyway don't think a nuke will help now ever sense the sliver grove can used nuclear waste and absorbed it now if we recall to the sliver grove quest it wasn't just nukes and waste for it also the war cause in effect made the land into waste land so basically nature lady saved the life plants to remake the forest back where it is pose to be a living forest At the time being whatever bad chemicals was left there pretty much nearly all gone but what cannot be broken down like orokin's tech or so one stuff but they made sure nature lady make sure the nukes doesn't harm the plant no more.  The only harm to the forest is fire just fire....

In the game the cascade bomb which could be considered a neutron bomb which kills the organic materials but left the structure behind.

Other than that it is an old technology by the time set where warframe starts. Thousands of years of changes, evolutions are there so the warfrare also changed and moved to biological warfare. Much likely this is why we have infesteds because someone thought it is a good idea to make zombies whom will fight for us / but they decided otherwise also very infectous.