Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

why is Mag so slow?!

SaidTheRogue

title.

mag casting animations take a painfully long time. what the hell? meanwhile, other frames such as zephyr inaros and nyx cast stuff super fast, damn near instantly.

yeah, blah blah mods for casting/animation time, whatever. anyway.. DE, could mag get a little script/functionality tuning? its odd to basically be standing still long enough to CC yourself just to use yer stuff, eh?

Pull / Magnetize / Polarize can be used while moving, all her abilities can be cast in mid-air,
and Crush has actually already received a significant speed-up boost
(plus it doesn't require LOS so just don't cast it out in the open with enemies past its range shooting at you).

The only real "issue" I've found is the casting time / effect delay on Magnetize,
that one can indeed be a bit annoying, often failing to establish a bubble because the target is already dead.
Something like a hold function to manually place a bubble wherever you wish would be super nifty.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NinjaZeku said:

Pull / Magnetize / Polarize can be used while moving, all her abilities can be cast in mid-air,
and Crush has actually already received a significant speed-up boost
(plus it doesn't require LOS so just don't cast it out in the open with enemies past its range shooting at you).

The only real "issue" I've found is the casting time / effect delay on Magnetize,
that one can indeed be a bit annoying, often failing to establish a bubble because the target is already dead.
Something like a hold function to manually place a bubble wherever you wish would be super nifty.

It would also be nice if, should the enemy die before the  bubble is established, it refunded the energy. 

Crush instantly makes enemies stop doing whatever they were doing, so it's casting speed isn't all that important. 

Pull functions somewhat the same way, but you can cast it during any movement, including reload.

Magnetize, I think, has the longest casting time, but it's a pretty strong ability - basically shutting down a wave of enemies. Just don't walk back in it. 

Polarize doesn't cc, but you can cast it while on the move, as well. 

All in all, I think that's why. She's quite strong. 

Just now, Miser_able said:

Well, with the augment it can cc, but idk if augments should be considered when it comes to balancing. 

True that. What I mean is it doesn't stop enemies the same way crush does. As soon as you hit the 4 enemies stop doing whatever they were doing. So more or less you have to think about that.

Man, I've been waiting for an opportunity to get back to Mag. Two things stop me, though: 1) she's my starter frame, so I've already played her to Hell and back in my first few months with the game, and 2) thanks to a certain YouTuber, where I used to look at her base (non-Prime) helmet and see "adorable astronaut girl," I now see Jason Alexander's forehead. All of her other DE helmets are just bad. Her Deluxe skin has helped a little bit, but I'm still not satisfied. Might have to go Tennogen.

But no, she doesn't feel that slow to me - at least not especially so compared to other frames like Limbo, Gara, Equinox and Nekros.

Edited by KnossosTNC

10 hours ago, SaidTheRogue said:

title.

mag casting animations take a painfully long time. what the hell? meanwhile, other frames such as zephyr inaros and nyx cast stuff super fast, damn near instantly.

yeah, blah blah mods for casting/animation time, whatever. anyway.. DE, could mag get a little script/functionality tuning? its odd to basically be standing still long enough to CC yourself just to use yer stuff, eh?

Ask 100 people whether they would take current build “fast cast” NYX or “slow cast” Mag in their squad.

You can equip mods to adjust casting time...you can’t adjust a “reworked” ability that requires you to pump bullets into a mind-controlled enemy to make it “useful” instead of every other target trying to kill you.  SMH.

I feel you.  I’ve advocated for Volt’s woeful base  1.0 speed to be tuned up even if it meant slowing his “2” a bit...to no avail.

It’s part of the “balance” I guess.

Edited by (PS4)Silverback73

jeez, how many ppl are gonna mention the cast time/natural talent thing which i made a point to mention in the OP.. we get it, you can burn 1 slot just for cast speed. to which i say, to hell with that.

im just advocating for reducing the clunk factor a bit. they wanted the caster frames to stop lagging behind, well.. =D

as for nyx vs mag.. im not understanding that tribal lunarspeak. nyx is quite good now after her rework. but yeah, mag is a great frame which can dump all over many enemies at once, can we just get a reduction of kludge?

12 hours ago, SaidTheRogue said:

title.

Pull I'd one one the fastest cast animations in the game, Polarize isn't far behind. That leaves Magnetize and Crush, and they do have slow animations. 

It would be nice if those two were inherently faster but their power is a decent trade off. 

1 hour ago, SaidTheRogue said:

jeez, how many ppl are gonna mention the cast time/natural talent thing which i made a point to mention in the OP.. we get it, you can burn 1 slot just for cast speed. to which i say, to hell with that.

im just advocating for reducing the clunk factor a bit. they wanted the caster frames to stop lagging behind, well.. =D

as for nyx vs mag.. im not understanding that tribal lunarspeak. nyx is quite good now after her rework. but yeah, mag is a great frame which can dump all over many enemies at once, can we just get a reduction of kludge?

“Quite Good” for today’s squad-based Warframe?

Do tell.

Statistically speaking?

Nyx was once my 2nd most used frame...

I’ll take a deeper dive and see how many squads give me the thumbs up when I show up with NYX.

• Like 1

I'm quite used to Mag's cast speed. And I can tell you that Natural Talent isn't necessary.

Her 1~3 abilities aren't really slow compare to other warframes' abilities.

Also, these abilities have large range and can be cast while moving. So you can cast them from safe distance or while running around.

Crush is the only one that's slow. But since it prevents enemies from doing anything during the cast animation, you wouldn't want to reduce its cast time.

Edited by yles9056

Not only can you still move during everything but Crush but they're also all one-handed actions meaning you can still shoot and attack during them.

Really if we want to complain about casting speed look no further than Limbo, losing the ability to move and shoot with several abilities.

Natural Talent IMO is a must have on her. At the very least you should use speed drift.

Her abilities used to be much worse, freezing you on point when you cast any of them. Now you can move while casting so I can live with it.

I do agree speeding up her casting a bit more coz she's a caster and more than 60% of the time you are casting one of her 4 abilities. Alternately make them one-hand action.

Edited by Marvelous_A

14 hours ago, (PS4)Silverback73 said:

Ask 100 people whether they would take current build “fast cast” NYX or “slow cast” Mag in their squad.

You can equip mods to adjust casting time...you can’t adjust a “reworked” ability that requires you to pump bullets into a mind-controlled enemy to make it “useful” instead of every other target trying to kill you.  SMH.

I feel you.  I’ve advocated for Volt’s woeful base  1.0 speed to be tuned up even if it meant slowing his “2” a bit...to no avail.

It’s part of the “balance” I guess.

I'd honestly take Nyx