Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Trading suggestion to prevent resale of items and abuse of alt accounts

LeMoog

I had thought that creating more than one warframe account was prohibited however I have recently met a number of players who were blaise about using alts  for reselling, given that many now check the the buyer's profile before trading.

To this end I suggest a small change to trading so that each item may be traded only once, this will still allow players to trade for plat and to obtain missing items but will prevent resellers using alt account since once the item is in the alt account then it can only be used for crafting.

I would imagine that those that employ alt accounts will be loudly against this however for those using a single account then I can see no downside. Everything that a non-alt player would want to do is still availible and knowing that when you gift an item to a new player in you clan it is not going to be passed on for resale by an alt abusing your charity

Edited by Letter13
Title edited for clarity

11 minutes ago, LeMoog said:

each item may be traded only once [...] for those using a single account then I can see no downside

& what if I once bought something but don't use it anymore? If I want to give it to a friend or just sell it, does it means I won't be able to? No thank you

EDIT: Or if I buy something to give to one of my friend, like a (birthday) present, or because they don't have plats?

Edited by Xenox_Ilz-ot
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Xenox_Ilz-ot said:

& what if I once bought something but don't use it anymore? If I want to give it to a friend or just sell it it means I won't be able to? No thank you

This.

I like being able to requisition Ignis Wraith Blueprints from another Clan Leader whom I’m friendly with so that I can hand them out to those that need them.

That’s only one example of why this would be a bad idea.

1 minute ago, EquinoxPrime said:

I like being able to requisition Ignis Wraith Blueprints from another Clan Leader whom I’m friendly with so that I can hand them out to those that need them.

That's very nice of you mate!

So long as people don't have any interaction between their primary and alt accounts (no trading or running missions together) there isn't any tos violation.

If they are trading with their alt account for any reason then they're liable to get both accounts banned and you can probably report them for such if you have proof.

As for your idea as to how to prevent alt trading; no. Yes people would be free to sell items they just got as drops but this entirely destroys the ability to flip, stockpile, or stack items for profit.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Xenox_Ilz-ot said:

& what if I once bought something but don't use it anymore? If I want to give it to a friend or just sell it, does it means I won't be able to? No thank you

EDIT: Or if I buy something to give to one of my friend, like a (birthday) present, or because they don't have plats?

how many times do you want to give them the same item? why is  once not enough if they are going to use it?

11 minutes ago, EquinoxPrime said:

This.

That’s only one example of why this would be a bad idea.

why not get the player who needs it to requisition it directly, whilst the friend giving the item away might be doing it for you surly you would not mind them becoming friends too?

16 minutes ago, Xenox_Ilz-ot said:

As I said limiting items to a single trade would not effect presents, if you want to give them plat then sell the item and give them what you get for it

14 minutes ago, GnarlsDarkley said:

Hard pass. Thank you.

A decent amount of my earnings are from flipping

You mean reselling i.e. profiting from the seller's ignorance? something that is going to hit less experienced players much harder that those that know the value of an item.

IMHO There is a reason that "middle men" and monopolists are seen as leeches upon society, I would have more sympathy if like me you had actually put money into the game rather than just taking advantage of the less experienced

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LeMoog said:

how many times do you want to give them the same item? why is  once not enough if they are going to use it?

Either you are not explaining yourself very well or you are misunderstanding the (counter)examples others are bringing up.

Example:

• Player A and Player B are friends. Player C has [ITEM] that Player B probably would want.
  • Player A knows Player B probably could use [ITEM]
  • Player A buys [ITEM] from Player C

Under what you appear to be suggesting, the one and only trade for [ITEM] has now been exhausted. Player A cannot trade [ITEM] to Player B (and, in fact, cannot trade [ITEM] at all, period). Assume Player C is only interested in plat. Player B does not have plat (or enough plat). Player A's only recourse, then, is to somehow give Player B plat. 

Now assume Player B isn't online at the time and Player C is offering [ITEM] for cheap. Player A can't grab the deal for Player B. Sucks for Player B if Player A can't get Player B to log on in time. Or somehow convince Player C to not sell [ITEM] to anyone else because Player B might happen to log on.

Second example:

• Player A buys [AUGMENT] from Player C, because Player C is in the right syndicate and Player A is not.
  • Player A and Player B are friends.
  • Time passes.
  • Player A doesn't really play the frame in question anymore, but Player B does.
  • Player A wants to give Player B [AUGMENT] to help Player B out.

Player A cannot give [AUGMENT] to Player B because [AUGMENT]'s one and only trade was exhausted in the first bullet.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, LeMoog said:

idk, maybe because I got more than one friend, ever thought of that? well no, you didn't

& what stops me from giving stuff to other people too, not just friends, huh?

18 minutes ago, trst said:

So long as people don't have any interaction between their primary and alt accounts (no trading or running missions together) there isn't any tos violation.

If they are trading with their alt account for any reason then they're liable to get both accounts banned and you can probably report them for such if you have proof.

As for your idea as to how to prevent alt trading; no. Yes people would be free to sell items they just got as drops but this entirely destroys the ability to flip, stockpile, or stack items for profit.

I am not sure that creating monopolies and profitting off other's backs is in line with the image of the tenno more like corpus, perhaps you should petition DE to let you play as that faction?

14 minutes ago, LeMoog said:

As I said limiting items to a single trade would not effect presents, if you want to give them plat then sell the item and give them what you get for it

You said you wanted an item to only be traded once, how do you want me to gift or sell to people prime stuff & mods that I bought before? ffs

Edited by Xenox_Ilz-ot
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, LeMoog said:

I would have more sympathy if like me you had actually put money into the game rather than just taking advantage of the less experienced

Well then, screw you too. No "sympathy" if someone didnt open their wallet? Get lost. Not everyone is in a position to open their wallet since life expenses and incomes vary from region to region.

I have bought nearly a dozen prime accesses and gotten loads of plat from that, used it, and traded, buying and selling, in order to get more plat so I didnt need to keep opening my wallet.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Giantconch said:

Hard pass. Screwing over everyone who buys and sells items to make plat is a terrible solution to people using alt accounts to get around daily trade limits.

In what way would this screw anyone over, you get a part drop you can either sell it or use it, if you need a part then you can still trade for it, What exactly do you believe would be screwed over?

If you want to gift something then you still could th eonly difference would be that the receiver could only use it , persumably inline with why you gave it to them rather than just giving them plat

2 minutes ago, Ascarith said:

Either you are not explaining yourself very well or you are misunderstanding the (counter)examples others are bringing up.

Example:

• Player A and Player B are friends. Player C has [ITEM] that Player B probably would want.
  • Player A knows Player B probably could use [ITEM]
  • Player A buys [ITEM] from Player C

Thank you, that's a thing that actually happened, one of my friend bought the Mesa Prime set from someone & gave it to me for ammo drum I think basically free, if we follow that guy's logic that wouldn't have been possible

1 minute ago, LeMoog said:

I am not sure that creating monopolies and profitting off other's backs is in line with the image of the tenno more like corpus, perhaps you should petition DE to let you play as that faction?

Then it shouldn't be an open market.

And the entire way one profits off this system is because some people choose to sell quickly by selling low and others want to buy quickly by buying high. These two groups of people can always exist for the same item but aren't always there at the same time (this issue also exists for auction house systems; before that gets brought up).

Desirability (demand) also fluctuates usually when something gets unvaulted or given away for free the price plummets because nobody is buying now. Grabbing these items and selling them when demand goes up isn't a scummy practice; if people wanted the "full" value of an item them they could just as well wait for demand to return.

You're simply getting the profit that others are in too much of a rush to hold out for.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, trst said:

I don't know if you are right about TOS but unless you are trading between your accounts (including  via a proxy) then what difference would it make

8 minutes ago, LeMoog said:

I would have more sympathy if like me you had actually put money into the game

I have put more money into this game than into a lot of AAA games combined, so please spare me such bs.

If I buy 4 prime parts for 10p each and sell the set for 200p (yes this is possible) then who are you to judge?

• Like 1

Just now, trst said:

Then it shouldn't be an open market.

And the entire way one profits off this system is because some people choose to sell quickly by selling low and others want to buy quickly by buying high. These two groups of people can always exist for the same item but aren't always there at the same time (this issue also exists for auction house systems; before that gets brought up).

Desirability (demand) also fluctuates usually when something gets unvaulted or given away for free the price plummets because nobody is buying now. Grabbing these items and selling them when demand goes up isn't a scummy practice; if people wanted the "full" value of an item them they could just as well wait for demand to return.

You're simply getting the profit that others are in too much of a rush to hold out for.

So you are saying that exploiting the need of other tenno is inline with the ethos?

1 minute ago, GnarlsDarkley said:

I have put more money into this game than into a lot of AAA games combined, so please spare me such bs.

If I buy 4 prime parts for 10p each and sell the set for 200p (yes this is possible) then who are you to judge?

I am  not judging merely pointing out that taking advantage of other players doesn't build a good community and if everyone takes than what pays for the updates? Who would want to invest time and money in a game with the toxic community you are supporting? I for one would like the game to continue to grow and have the community be interested in something other than  just their own tawdry  profit.