Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Just me or projectile based weapons are really slow?

If you've tried corpus weapons and some of the tenno weapons, you might feel that the projectiles are pretty slow and you need to lead the shots and you can easily move away from the projectiles when fighting corpus. Am I the only one that wish projectiles are faster? And this can be another scaling for corpus where higher level means faster projectiles, requiring you to be more active

And, a meme I made back then about this

32ekse.jpg

• Like 3

it's a natural situation created from when there are non Projectile Weapons and they are considered 'normal'. basically it's a matter of whether Projectiles is 'normal' or Ray Trace is 'normal'.

when Ray Trace is 'normal', Projectiles have to go slower than Ray Trace in order for Projectiles to stand out and make any difference. because remember, the Ray Trace Weapons are infinity Meters/Second. and it isn't a Projectile if it's infinity so it has to go slower.
and then it naturally ends up going kinda slow. so that it stands out.

it'd be different if Projectiles was the norm, and things that shot 'extra fast' were the out of the ordinary ones. which ultimately i think all games get better when they start from that side of the mirror.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, taiiat said:

it'd be different if Projectiles was the norm, and things that shot 'extra fast' were the out of the ordinary ones. which ultimately i think all games get better when they start from that side of the mirror.

I disagree, no offense. Every game I have played with projectile weapons brings up the same issue: A projectile weapons are more susceptible to lag/latency. And in games like battlefield it isnt just a "realism" mechanic it's a balance mechanic. If you want to shoot somebody at long range you gotta work for it a little bit. With warframe being such a close quarter's game that isnt really a factor.  Well, talking about warframe at least.

1 hour ago, 844448 said:

If you've tried corpus weapons and some of the tenno weapons, you might feel that the projectiles are pretty slow and you need to lead the shots and you can easily move away from the projectiles when fighting corpus. Am I the only one that wish projectiles are faster? And this can be another scaling for corpus where higher level means faster projectiles, requiring you to be more active

And, a meme I made back then about this

32ekse.jpg

I find it silly, yes. And I notice if the game starts lagging non hits can weapons are more of a struggle bus. But usually it's not enough to bother me that much.

58 minutes ago, Syasob said:

It's dangerous to go alone. Take this:

TerminalVelocity.png

Inb4 nobody wants to give up a mod slot for that.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, (XB1)ECCHO SIERRA said:

A projectile weapons are more susceptible to lag/latency.

barely any, and generally if a Session is going to be highly laggy, you'll have trouble actually Damaging the Enemy regardless of whether you hit it or not.

56 minutes ago, (XB1)ECCHO SIERRA said:

Inb4 nobody wants to give up a mod slot for that.

If you've never met people who use the mod it doesn't mean that we don't exist.

And in case you didn't know, this mod also increases damage falloff distance and range limit - pretty good for many weapons, especially when you think about bringing them to large open locations like PoE, OV and new Gas City.

• Like 2

as someone who plays a lot of Borderlands, which runs on a projectile system, I'd say there's pros and cons to both systems; hitscan makes you more effective and doesn't seem to put as much strain on the game (as it's not having to render the projectile), but Projectiles can deliver more specialized payloads in a balanced way, without making a weapon too insane. imagine if rocket launchers in games were hitscan: it would basically be a delete button. plus you want enemies to have projectiles, because you have a chance to dodge any shots that are on target; with hitscan, you're getting hit no matter what if the enemy is on target: this is a problem seen when fighting high-level grineer especially: it doesn't matter how fast you are, if a Lancer's aim is right, there's no way of getting out of being shot.

this is why we can get one shot as squishy frames surprisingly often, sometimes without seeing where the shot even came from, since there's no projectile, and therefore no trace of one either. converting all weapons to projectiles of different velocities (with regular bullets being the fastest) would probably do wonders for balance, but it would also mean a TON of work on the dev side, so that's likely never gonna happen.

• Like 1

It's why I actually like flight speed on my crit chance Attica Riven. Too bad it's still kinda meh damage though even at over 100% chance.

But it actually reaches an enemy's head instantly rather than it's default 20hour flight time to hit something 10ft away.

Yeah projectile weapons are mostly horribly slow, kinda feels like they all have the pre-flight check procedure with the flight attendents going through safety protocols and all that before lift off. I dont mind it on Arca P, Catchmoon and other weapons with a wide area of effect, but on things like Boltor, Attica and such it is just a pain.

Edited by SneakyErvin

9 hours ago, Syasob said:

If you've never met people who use the mod it doesn't mean that we don't exist.

And in case you didn't know, this mod also increases damage falloff distance and range limit - pretty good for many weapons, especially when you think about bringing them to large open locations like PoE, OV and new Gas City.

Well, I mean I'm I'm there's like 3 of you... and I know about the range and falloff but... that usually isnt a factor save for a few weapons.

10 hours ago, taiiat said:

barely any, and generally if a Session is going to be highly laggy, you'll have trouble actually Damaging the Enemy regardless of whether you hit it or not.

I disagree. Every single game I have ever played going back to 2004 has had the same deal. Hitscan weapons have never been as susceptible to lag/latency as other weapons. And that's with and without dedicated servers.

I love how energy weapons are slower than projectile weapons. The energy beams should be invisible and travel at the speed of light. I guess if the energy weapons were realistic, it would be more confusing... "Ready the lasers number 1! Fire!" ... Camera pans to target and we see/hear nothing and then the target explodes out of no where. Talk about cheaper special effects!

So yeah, that Lanka should be a better long range sniper than ones that use bullets. Wait, can solar wind mess up your shot?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, (XB1)ECCHO SIERRA said:

Well, I mean I'm I'm there's like 3 of you... and I know about the range and falloff but... that usually isnt a factor save for a few weapons.

Well, you can also add the three or so people who actually play Zephyr. I'm sure there's more than three of us, but w/e. 

Not sure how you're defining "a few," since an entire class of weapons (shotguns) benefit quite well from an increase in falloff distance. (Well, sometimes not, because I basically can't use the Corinth's airburst on anything inside a normal tile).

I don't feel most Corpus weapons would be slow, but throwing knives and bows definitely are to the point +projectile speed is a must have.

By the time you would hit a Dargyn or even just a regular ground unit they flip around 5 times and more, changing their directions.

Lanka, the projectile speed is just a little slow for a sniper but imo. manageable, could use a small buff to projectile speed but not necessary.

Projectile weapons usually have more base damage per bullet than hitscan weapons to try to make up for the clumsiness of using that weapon type, but they are very unpractical to use past mid range due to having to lead your shots and deal with latency to land hits, there are a few projectile weapons that perform exceptionally due to a big projectile/aoe (Catchmoon, Tombfinger, Arca Plasmor, Staticor) but for anything rifle/machine gun they are just clunky to use (Boltor, Bolto, Supra, Lanka, Bows) They should indeed get a buff to the PFS.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, (XB1)ECCHO SIERRA said:

I disagree. Every single game I have ever played going back to 2004 has had the same deal. Hitscan weapons have never been as susceptible to lag/latency as other weapons. And that's with and without dedicated servers.

i pretty plainly didn't say that it wasn't a factor at all. but that it's a minor factor and i put more weight in whether the Enemy will actually take Damage in Sessions that are highly laggy.

7 hours ago, nslay said:

So yeah, that Lanka should be a better long range sniper than ones that use bullets. Wait, can solar wind mess up your shot?

in universe it's firing an object of some sort(based on other Corpus Weaponry, presumably some sort of Encapsulated Plasmatic Projectile), it isn't a Laser Weapon, so everything makes sense there then if you ask me.

- Lanka enthusiast, 2019

5 hours ago, (XB1)Cubic Clem said:

I loved the battacor, the numbers, the DMG type, the design, everything. Until I used it.. it just feels weird. Doesn't feel right.

while it's one of my favorite Weapons in the game. granted i wish each Burst had tighter groupings but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I feel like some of them could get a 10-20% buff in base flight speed to be honest, the biggest issue isn't hitting things though, its having your projectile hit the enemy before Sayrn/Mesa/Pick a nuke frame blows up the tileset.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, taiiat said:

in universe it's firing an object of some sort(based on other Corpus Weaponry, presumably some sort of Encapsulated Plasmatic Projectile), it isn't a Laser Weapon, so everything makes sense there then if you ask me. 

- Lanka enthusiast, 2019

OK, fair enough. The Supra, however, is a heavy laser gun with slow projectiles (80 m/s!). It should actually pulse invisible laser beams that hit the target instantly! But that wouldn't look very cool...

The Supra is a heavy laser gun with a short wind up time.

Reference:

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Supra