TehGrief

Allow for more Archetypes ("Buff" Support)

After creating a thread talking about possible ways to implement better mechanics and/or improve on current mechanics for tank support (Allow for more Archetypes (tanking)), I wanted to return with some more ideas for broadening some of the current play-styles that we see.

In Warframe, team composition is, without a doubt, one of the biggest core-aspects of the game. However, it has lately felt that the "team" isn't really "working together", and is more often than not competing for kills.

There is always room for group synergy when building a team in Warframe, and having a person who provides a buff is always appreciated. There should be more emphasis on including more team mechanics in warframes - even if it is just through the addition of augment mods.

There are already several warframes currently in the game that provide buffs in various forms, however, for this thread I wanted to focus on improving some very specific augment mods to provide a very diverse opportunity for team compositions.

"Cast on Ally" Augments

There are several augment mods in the game that allow for specific frames to cast damage abilities on allies, adding damage to their attacks for a duration. Here is a list of those augment mods with some brief details:

Spoiler

Adds the following effect to the ability:
"Casting on allies will add 50% / 65% / 80% / 100% Electricity damage to their attacks (affected by Ability Strength) for 28 / 32 / 36 / 40 seconds (affected by Ability Duration)."

Spoiler

"Casting on allies will add 50% / 65% / 80% / 100% Heat damage to their attacks (affected by Ability Strength) for 28 / 32 / 36 / 40 seconds (affected by Ability Duration)."

Spoiler

"Casting on allies will add 50% / 65% / 80% / 100% Cold damage to their attacks (affected by Ability Strength) for 28 / 32 / 36 / 40 seconds (affected by Ability Duration)."

Spoiler

"Casting on allies will add 50% / 65% / 80% / 100% Corrosive damage to their attacks (affected by Ability Strength) for 28 / 32 / 36 / 40 seconds (affected by Ability Duration)."

Spoiler

"Casting on allies will add 50% / 65% / 80% / 100% Radiation damage to their attacks (affected by Ability Strength) for 28 / 32 / 36 / 40 seconds (affected by Ability Duration)."

The major issue with these augment mods and the reason why they likely don't see much use is because they can be incredibly difficult to use. In my opinion there are two major flaws when using them: 1you MUST target an ally with the ability and 2you (the frame casting the ability) can never be a target for the buff.

Spoiler
  1. Targeting allies can prove more difficult than it sounds. Most missions require hasty and tactful mobility, often utilizing jumps, dodge-rolls, and various other parkour methods to traverse and complete the objectives within the level; the task of getting the buff onto an ally can be near impossible as they are bouncing around the map (it becomes even more of a pain when using a controller on consoles).
  2. Since you can never target yourself with the abilities, these augments are literally worthless when playing solo. 

To solve these two flaws, I want to present the following idea:

• Have the augment mod change the ability so that it applies a duration-based aura, instead of performing its normal action and mechanic.
Spoiler

The abilities will no longer use a projectile-based damage mechanic, but instead generate an aura that grants allies within 10 / 12 / 15 / 18 meters a damage buff granting +50% / +65% / +80% / +100% of the respective elemental-type to attacks for 28 / 32 / 36 / 40 seconds.

• Aura radius is affected by Ability Range.
  • Damage bonus is affected by Ability Strength.
  • Buff duration is affected by Ability Duration.

Augment mods offer a great opportunity to modify abilities in unique and interesting ways. I firmly believe that having these specific augment mods drastically change the way these abilities function would open a door for new builds and strange team compositions (i.e; using both Volt and Frost's auras in combination to add magnetic damage).

Aura Radius Improvements

I have seen various other threads mentioning the issue of the aura range provided by some abilities often falling far too short to be useful to your team. Above I have used a range for the augment's auras to be 10 / 12 / 15 / 18 meters (affected by Ability Range), but it might be time for auras and similar buffs to have generalized and/or static range; if not to simply just be based on affinity range (with some exceptions of course...)

Some examples are:

Eclipse

Mirage has an augment mod for Eclipse that shares the ability's bonuses with allies. The biggest issue with Total Eclipse is that the ability range is pathetically small - only granting an aura with a radius of 3 / 3 / 4 / 5 meters (affected by Ability Range). If you're not inside Mirage's pocket just forget about even maintaining this buff.

Turbulence

Similar to the issues with Total Eclipse, Zephyr's Turbulence augment mod, Jet Stream, suffers from incredibly short range - having a base radius of 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 meters.

Elemental Ward Vs. Vex Armour

Chroma has two abilities that both provide buffs to nearby allies, however, each of the abilities has a different range - why it isn't even generalized within the warframe is beyond me. 

Elemental Ward has a base radius of 6 / 8 / 10 / 12 meters, while Vex Armour has a base radius of 8 / 10 / 15 / 18 meters.

TLDR;

• Change "Cast on Ally" augment mods to apply as an aura instead of their prior function or mechanics.
  • Change aura and buff skills to have generalized and/or static radiuses (possibly just using Affinity Range).
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

+2, 1 for each of your suggestions.

Also the super short range on the auras whether from base abilities or augments just encourages camping so I definitely want the effect to either have a longer range or be changed such that when allies enter the aura they gain the buff for the duration, even if they leave. This has already been demonstrated with wisp, I don't see why aura buffs can't function similarly.

Edited by TaylorsContraction
typos

I would like improvements like these. The only reason I even bother with the Flash Accelerant augment, though, is because it also benefits Ember and can conveniently be passed to allies. 

Unfortunately, the current flow of the game doesn't leave much room, or need for, support. It's drifting further and further into the category of "content for frames that can one-shot rooms" and "content for frames that can't die". With enough crossover between them it's quickly turning into "ChromaFrame and RhinoFrame" or "DayEquinoxFrame and SarynFrame". DE has acknowledged this, and mentioned that CC was already almost dead. But it sounds like they're looking into it since they said they would take a 'long hard look' before making any changes since I'm guessing it would be a massive game-wide overhaul of balance (which people have said was needed for years).

I'm right behind you with this suggestion, in my opinion buffs like elemental ward and rhinos roar if they affect allies should be based on affinity range, or at least have 20m base range. Same thing with the augments you mentioned.

On 2019-06-25 at 3:46 AM, TehGrief said:

possibly just using Affinity Range

This is a red flag. No serious discussion should ever use the Affinity range as an actual suggestion, at least if you don't severely cut the effectiveness. The range is part of the design of the ability.

54 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

This is a red flag. No serious discussion should ever use the Affinity range as an actual suggestion, at least if you don't severely cut the effectiveness. The range is part of the design of the ability.

That is an over-reaction, honestly; we are fully capable of having a "serious discussion" while talking about using affinity range as the generalized range for most skills that provide party support. 

Yes, there would obviously require some balancing, and yes, some skills/augments would require change - however, I believe it is in the best interest of the game to open up to this more "party-friendly" play-style.

A perfect example of a skill that should be altered to be based on affinity range rather than it's default range is Hildryn's Haven ability (see details below).

Spoiler

Haven
Haven currently functions by providing a shield aura to allies, the ability (for whatever reason) also damages enemies within the radius.

At base, the ability has a radius of 8 / 10 / 12 / 15 meters.

If we were to alter the ability to instead provide the shield aura to allies within affinity radius (50 meters - default), it would not be appropriate to keep the damage portion of this ability.