Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Allow melee weapons to be exempt from RMB weapon switching.

MirageKnight

10 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

I mean reload or contextual action for the toggle. Activating it means that you're locked to that melee weapon, RMB performs a pre-nerf block. Deactivating it means RMB goes back to pulling out your gun.

Thanks for the clarification 🙂

Yes, I think that would work just fine for all concerned. A win-win if you ask me.

If you don't mind, I'll amend my OP to include your suggestion.

On 2019-06-26 at 6:19 AM, MirageKnight said:

I'd like to advocate implementing a player-activated toggle (using the Reload key-bind or something else) to allow players to "lock into" whatever melee weapon they have equipped

Alternatively, how about hold F(switch weapon) button to lock into melee weapon? Just like how it used to work before.

Also, when locked into melee weapon, the crosshair should have different appearance to indicate "melee locked" state.

Edited by yles9056

10 minutes ago, yles9056 said:

Alternatively, how about hold F(switch weapon) button to lock into melee weapon? Just like how it used to work before.

Also, when locked into melee weapon, the crosshair should have different appearance to indicate "melee locked" state.

They could change the color and make it bolded, or plop a lock icon on top of the crosshair. 

7 hours ago, yles9056 said:

Alternatively, how about hold F(switch weapon) button to lock into melee weapon?

As long as that works for Exalted as well.

I'd actually be really okay with this, because I absolutely love some of the sheathing/unsheathing animations that are now... missing.

On 2019-06-26 at 11:46 AM, (PS4)Black-Cat-Jinx said:

There is literally no time I have ever felt like "gee, using this ability makes me want to be trapped inside the ability so that I have to uncast it and recast it, wasting tons of energy".....

I get that it's new and takes getting use to but the old system was infinitely worse.

Thats how i feel about auto block tbh

On 2019-06-26 at 5:46 AM, (PS4)Black-Cat-Jinx said:

There is literally no time I have ever felt like "gee, using this ability makes me want to be trapped inside the ability so that I have to uncast it and recast it, wasting tons of energy".....

I get that it's new and takes getting use to but the old system was infinitely worse.

I gotta disagree. I don't want my exalted draining additional energy while I'm shooting things instead. I'd much rather just turn it off.

I don't even like my REGULAR melee doing this autoswitch nonsense. There needs to be a damn legacy toggle in the options so we can use the old control scheme if we prefer.

On 2019-06-25 at 7:19 PM, MirageKnight said:

RMB to switching from melee to the last ranged weapon used by the player.

why simply just change the RMB back to block and to switch to ranged,"I know I know", this souds crazy, but, LMB.

2 minutes ago, PabloX732 said:

why simply just change the RMB back to block and to switch to ranged,"I know I know", this souds crazy, but, LMB.

It seems that some people like the new auto-block feature and the proposed change would accommodate them as well. Also, some people like using LMB to melee attack.

Honestly, I agree that RMB initiating a manual "held" block for melee needs to come back.

9 hours ago, DoomFruit said:

If we're asking for a melee lock option, can we get a gun (or gear item) lock option as well which basically gives us back the old quick attack mode? I almost never want to actively pull out my melee weapon.

Fair suggestion as well.

With all the griping I've been reading on the latest melee changes (not just here mind you), I'm starting to think that DE should have probably left the old blocking / weapon switching system alone. 

I know I said this before, but I'd like to say thanks again to everyone for keeping this discussion constructive, respectful, and civil.

14 minutes ago, MirageKnight said:

the new auto-block feature

Doesn't need to go away.

14 minutes ago, MirageKnight said:

Also, some people like using LMB to melee attack.

well they have to push E to go to melee, so, that same button can be used to go back to ranged, right?

I hate the fact when I glide and have a melee equiped, I have to change to a ranged weapon instead of blocking mid air, but I don't like the concept of locking the melee somewhat like the old system.

Also another problem, melee combos who needs RMB, when the combos ends your character sometimes change to a gun.

I respect what you're trying to do, but I find it a little complicated, only trying to simplify a little.

also sorry for sarcasm. 😛

Edited by PabloX732
  • Like 1

Just now, PabloX732 said:

Doesn't need to go away.

The "legacy" toggle would turn auto-block back on as well as the recently introduced weapon switch mechanic. So that should cover that concern.

4 minutes ago, PabloX732 said:

well they have to push E to go to melee, so, that same button can be used to go back to ranged, right?

I see what you mean. Yeah, that could work.

3 minutes ago, PabloX732 said:

I respect what you're trying to do, but I find it a little complicated, only trying to simplify a little.

Understood and appreciated 🙂

3 minutes ago, PabloX732 said:

also sorry for sarcasm.

No worries 😊

Wait people actually felt locked into weapons in the old system? Maybe it's cause I used the option to bind a separate keybind for melee which simplified it for me, or that when I used valkyr and excalibur I played them mostly as melee frames, so when the ults turned off i would usually switch back into melee anyway but I never felt locked into any of them.

It's a weapon switch, if the button press was as fast as switching from primary to secondary what would be the difference.

Also draining in the background depending on your mods can take as much energy as the activation cost was in the first place anyway, that activation cost shouldn't really be a problem anyway as if you are running one of these frames it's ideal to have a secondary source of energy anyway, like zenurik, energy siphon or rage. Oh and as far as nullifiers go, if you are running valk and excal as melee frames you can just kill them possibly even faster than with a gun by just using normal melee.

Finally simplicity is nice, but it should never be in exchange for control, this new system sacrifices control for simplicity, soft melee mode, auto blocking and toggle only channelling, 2 of these severely hamper exalted weapons.  Would it not have been better just to make melee modes/exalted weapon switches faster, after all do you feel locked into secondary or primary guns when you use them?

On a side note, add me into the category of "please god don't interfere with LMB like RMB" people as I also use left mouse for melee attacks in melee mode(makes it much simpler to melee at speed since you don't need to move a finger away from movement keys).

• Like 1

On 2019-06-29 at 10:51 AM, YourFriendlyNoggin said:

this new system sacrifices control for simplicity, soft melee mode, auto blocking and toggle only channelling

Don't forget that the auto block is only about a quarter as effective as old manual blocking.

I think DE have made some great decisions, but "we have made blocking easier for you so we're giving it a hugely over the top nerf to 'balance' it out" is not one of them, especially when no one was really asking for auto blocking (that I noticed). It's not game changing, and in a lot of situations is more of a nuisance than a boon. Take for example block-gliding, we no longer have control over when we block-glide and instead block-gliding will happen on the whims of the AI. Could be that I didn't actually want to block-glide at that particular moment but oh well...

I also don't like how it was almost hidden within the patch notes, and I've had to quote the exact bit numerous times to those who have missed it.

To elaborate, this is the line in the patch notes.

FlQ8ws7.png

Given previously I was blocking things at what feels like almost a 180 degree area in front of me, this is sizeable and very noticeable in game. But it doesn't get a header, it's not one of the main mentioned features, it's tucked in there halfway through the additional information bullet points alongside things like visual effects and animation tweaks that I know full well many will skim over.

On 2019-06-25 at 5:19 PM, MirageKnight said:

This has been covered in other posts in other threads, but I feel this needs mentioning yet again to get DE's attention.

Currently, when a melee weapon is equipped, right-clicking switches from the melee weapon to the last ranged weapon used. More-so, when an Exalted melee ability is active, RMB will do the same thing with Exalted melee weapons, forcing players to turn the ability off and then on again which wastes energy. This is extremely annoying for some of us.

Edit: As per @DeMonkey's suggestion, I'd like to advocate implementing a player-activated toggle (using the Reload key-bind or something else) to allow players to "lock into" whatever melee weapon they have equipped (Exulted or otherwise), where RMB would perform a manual block. Deactivating the toggle would revert RMB to switching from melee to the last ranged weapon used by the player.

In addition to allowing players the option of locking focus onto Exalted melee weapons, this would also benefit regular melee weapons and address criticisms made by other players with regard to the questionable removal of manual blocking for ALL melee weapons in favor of the new "autoblock" system.

Thanks for reading.

Oh how I wish.....at this point no matter how much people turn up on the forums or just quit (like myself), it does't seem to matter. It's like warframe has stage 4 cancer and all we can do is just close the curtains. A miracle seems like "the day DE makes another hit game is the day diddy admits he put out the hit that got pac killed. signed: Eminem"

Edited by SilviaS12

I'll encourage any post that addresses this problem!

Me am 1600+ player. Melee and Parkour enthusiast. RMB is the Single. Most. Important. Input. for advanced melee, airborne melee, and general flow of movement through stages.

DE completely blew me away by gutting this system. Proves to me that whatever "hotshot" they hired to "revamp" the melee system actually doesn't play the game him/herself, actually doesn't have in depth mechanical knowledge.

So, I still play, Melee-Only loadout, but I'm online probably 1/10th as much as I was. I can't help but cackle at the fact this new "Melee System" has been in place for MONTHS now. Countless threads like this pointing out why it obviously sucks, and no response from DE. Still, thanks for making this thread and letting me vent one more time. Cheers.

8 hours ago, Ofeban said:

I'll encourage any post that addresses this problem!

Me am 1600+ player. Melee and Parkour enthusiast. RMB is the Single. Most. Important. Input. for advanced melee, airborne melee, and general flow of movement through stages.

DE completely blew me away by gutting this system. Proves to me that whatever "hotshot" they hired to "revamp" the melee system actually doesn't play the game him/herself, actually doesn't have in depth mechanical knowledge.

So, I still play, Melee-Only loadout, but I'm online probably 1/10th as much as I was. I can't help but cackle at the fact this new "Melee System" has been in place for MONTHS now. Countless threads like this pointing out why it obviously sucks, and no response from DE. Still, thanks for making this thread and letting me vent one more time. Cheers.

and yet you are far from the only melee player. But time will bring this to full circle when so much people start looking around for answers as to why is the gameplay for melee broken, or when they just say to hell with this cheesy cheap teleporting weapons animation %$£ game.

Edited by SilviaS12