Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New frames vs Old frames

Lazarow

Recently playing warframe I have noticed I switch between a few warframes which are Nezha, Oberon, Loki/Ivara(Just for Spy), Inaros, Nova,Octavia which are good at what they do, but they are not any of the 'new generation' of warframes like wisp, baruuk or garuda. I do get the new warframes and am excited when I get to play with them but after a few days of using I switch back to my old warframes. So with that I come here to ask if it was just me who does this unintentionally Im very interested in answers.

Along with this I also provide short reason why I do/dont use the newer frames.

Wisp: Her 1 and 4 make most of it, while I mostly used her 1 for the boosts, her 4 i like and does nice damage but its not that great

Hildryn: I honestly dont like high shields and low health most of the time I just get shield for her and use guns to kill which is boring

Baruuk: Wait to get shot with to use 4, by that time i can kill more enemies with my weapons than with the storm thing that charges

Garuda: Her 1 kills almost anything, her 2 is okay but Oberon's 3 is also good, her 3 is instant zenurik, dont remember her 4

revenant: I only like his 4 and the enthral one to make minions

Khora: I did use her and like venari a lot and formad here used here for a few weeks

Gara: She is very good with her 2+4

Harrow: I do like how he is support and dps kinda

This is just my personal playstyle so dont get offended, you can however prodvide information how you use these frames 

Well, they are certainly a bit of a mixed bag, so I understand where you're coming from.

Gara is amazing, and is my first choice for Sortie Rescue and Sortie/Arbitration Defense missions.

Khora's a fun frame, but I'm still a bit baffled at how to build her.

Revenant felt like a weaker Mesa, and therefore I was not interested.

Garuda's interesting, but the setup time for her big damage burst gets a bit annoying.

Baruuk is Baruuk.

I play Hildryn regularly as an alternative to Inaros.

Wisp has a lot of potential, but I was low on Formas. Thanks to Plague Star,  that's no longer a problem.

Edited by KnossosTNC
  • Like 1

Nope, you're not. I don't think I've used a new frame for a long period of time since Nidus (and even he eventually got relegated to a "I really have to do this defense mission that I hate, and only he can do it" role), though I do quite enjoy Wisp, I'm just not sure how well she fits with a solo player like myself in the long run.

The new frames are just pointlessly complex to me, and I never enjoyed that. I want each ability to stand on its own, regardless of how useful or pointless they are, because frankly if one ability is super good and fits my playstyle, then I'll stick to that frame, over needing to use  abilities at once to be good. I grew up (in Tenno terms) with Loki, Frost and Rhino, frames that I personally use for a single ability (Invisibility, Bubble, Iron Skin), and I freakin' love that. Heck, even my favorite frame, Mirage, I still use only 2 abilities on her, and let's be frank, Hall of Mirrors alone is still more than enough. I don't care about overly complex abilities, I don't care about synergies, that's needless confusion and waste of time. I need abilities that are simple and get the job done. And none of the new frames have that. So I use the old ones. Cause for my play style, the old ones are far better.

• Like 1

I generally only seriously play frames that I put reactors in, and I only put reactors in frames that aren't MR fodder... so if it doesn't have a prime, I haven't really done much with them. (exceptions: Loki - his invis was good enough for spy mission use, and Inaros whos kit complemented my melee only combat style better than any frame I have yet to meet - however, I have yet to forma him, waiting for Prime.)

So, until the new frames get prime versions, I won't really put much effort into them.

That being said, I highly dislike rapid, constant mico-management. Harrow, Gara, Revenant (the 3 of your list that I own) all fall squarely in that category for their most optimal play.

* Harrow's entire kit (multiplied by reliance on enemies and their AI)
* Gara's splinter storm build (I'll just use Frost for protection) Far too energy consuming and watching clock gameplay.
* Revenant's mesmer skin management reminds me a great deal of FFXI's ninja tanking... which I highly disliked as a personal playstyle - though the concept is good for others. Plus, I don't like thralls.

Nidus is still a personal project (2 pieces so far, including blueprint)...
Khora is stuck behind a game mode that I don't enjoy. (I hate pet AI, and have no doubt I'll hate Venari)
Hildryn is stuck behind a boss I haven't fought yet. (her weakness is far too big for my liking too, direct health damage)
Baruuk is stuck behind a standing grind that I haven't undertaken yet. (not even a goal to get him)
Garuda still demands I farm toroids to build her... (I don't like the FFXI RedMage style of convert-based gameplay either - that's the gist I get from her kit, anyway)
Wisp is stuck behind a boss I haven't fought yet. (has potential... but I haven't theorycrafted her kit since she's not really a goal of mine to get.)

• Like 1

I like most of the new frames.

Hildryn is the shield Inaros, both do the same thing well, sustain and kill.

Revenant is just my go to mostly. Mesmer skin reminds me of old blade turn mechanics from games such as DaoC, which could make you massively tanky without being a tank aslong as you managed the skill properly. Good AoE, good CC, good mobility and good defenses overall.

Khora I tend to use instead of Nidus when I want that kind of CC/tanking/damage. Just built for health and armor with augment for her #1. Crazy survivability with 2 life leech linked pets.

Wisp I enjoy, but I rather play Oberon in the end.

Garuda is a fun option for boss killing or heavy tanking. She is very durable with her #2 and has great damage scaling with both her #1 and #4. 100% chance to inflict slash? Yes please!

Harrow, Baruuk and Gara dont see much playtime at all. I rather play Wukong or Umbra for exalted melee and Frost for the whole defense thing. Never really found a spot for Harrow.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

I like most of the new frames.

Hildryn is the shield Inaros, both do the same thing well, sustain and kill.

Revenant is just my go to mostly. Mesmer skin reminds me of old blade turn mechanics from games such as DaoC, which could make you massively tanky without being a tank aslong as you managed the skill properly. Good AoE, good CC, good mobility and good defenses overall.

Khora I tend to use instead of Nidus when I want that kind of CC/tanking/damage. Just built for health and armor with augment for her #1. Crazy survivability with 2 life leech linked pets.

Wisp I enjoy, but I rather play Oberon in the end.

Garuda is a fun option for boss killing or heavy tanking. She is very durable with her #2 and has great damage scaling with both her #1 and #4. 100% chance to inflict slash? Yes please!

Harrow, Baruuk and Gara dont see much playtime at all. I rather play Wukong or Umbra for exalted melee and Frost for the whole defense thing. Never really found a spot for Harrow.

Harrow is still in a weird spot because his buffs and stuff rely on him getting kills, which kinda works against teamwork since that means he literally has to tell his team to stop being so effective at killing.

No. I find that most of the new frames miss the mark. They're so dependent on their skill synergy that they basically do one thing really, really well and then nothing else. In contrast the older frames can be built up around 1 of their 4 skills and each presents you with a very different play style. Few of them are one trick ponies even those that currently have a really weak toolkit.   

Of the newer frames there are 2 that stand out to me. Khora and Gara. They are both fairly dynamic, fast, can be nukers or support, can offer different play styles, and are massively powerful allowing you to scale well past anything else. Wisp, Rev, and Harrow all offer one skill that's useful and maybe a second that's super situational and janky to use. The rest are MR fodder and outclassed by existing frames. Sure Garuda can nuke a map but so can Saryn and she's way easier to set up and play.   

Personally I always come back to Nova. Doesn't matter what I need to do, I can probably do it with her and I can do it fast. 

My most used frames lately are loki, wisp, baruuk, and wukong.

Loki for anything I just want to rush.

Wisp because she's wonderful support, and with my pure power/duration build she reaches more than 75% movement speed for more than 50 seconds per totem placement.

Baruuk because he just can't DIE if you mod him correctly, even without using his restraint.

And Wukong because I really like the rework, and giving his clone the komorex is hilariously op when he machine guns down more enemies than the rest of my group combined with it. Admittedly he's a 'new thing' so I may begin to get bored as you said in the op. But I loved wisp so much I used my umbral forma on her.

I use Equinox for room killing when I need it. But that's not often.

Issue for me is I no longer want to invest a potato, explosive adapter and 8 forma into frames that I'm just going to sell when the prime is released.

With the large arsenal of prime frames, I just level new ones and wait for primes. My wukong is untouched for example but I'm looking forward to playing him when the prime comes out. I'm also looking forward to Garuda prime but that's like years away.

13 minutes ago, TaylorsContraction said:

Issue for me is I no longer want to invest a potato, explosive adapter and 8 forma into frames that I'm just going to sell when the prime is released.

With the large arsenal of prime frames, I just level new ones and wait for primes. My wukong is untouched for example but I'm looking forward to playing him when the prime comes out. I'm also looking forward to Garuda prime but that's like years away.

But that, like you said, is years away, so I don't really why you wouldnt forma them. I mean I wouldnt go and forma Wukong right now since it is expected he'll have a prime soon, but frames like wisp have somewhere around 2 to 3 years before they get a prime. 

This is clearly just what you want to play as and what you enjoy. Nothing wrong with this. I personally like to take which ever is the best for the task or how I feel like playing. Personally I like to play many different styles so for example hildryn, wisp and harrow when I wanna support others. baruuk, gara, hildryn or revenant for tankyness or khora, gara, revenant, hildryn or garuda for high dmg. (out of these frames listed here, ofcourse you can play more roles with frames than listed here, but these are my prefrences) 

15 hours ago, (XB1)Demon Intellect said:

Harrow is still in a weird spot because his buffs and stuff rely on him getting kills, which kinda works against teamwork since that means he literally has to tell his team to stop being so effective at killing.

I would have loved if they reworked Harrow into an exalted weapon user. He would have been a perfect choice for a flail/whip. Maybe even make it more of a supportive exalted that gives parts of his current buffs as procs per hit. He would have kinda worked like Brigitte in Overwatch, each hit made adds a heal over time to nearby allies. Harrow could have a smaller HoT along with an energy replenish buff. Then his current 4 could go to spot number 3 instead. Then they could rework his 1 and 2 into something else, maybe straight up buffs.

It would make him feel more like an actual warrior priest instead of a flagelating nutjob.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:

I would have loved if they reworked Harrow into an exalted weapon user. He would have been a perfect choice for a flail/whip. Maybe even make it more of a supportive exalted that gives parts of his current buffs as procs per hit. He would have kinda worked like Brigitte in Overwatch, each hit made adds a heal over time to nearby allies. Harrow could have a smaller HoT along with an energy replenish buff. Then his current 4 could go to spot number 3 instead. Then they could rework his 1 and 2 into something else, maybe straight up buffs.

It would make him feel more like an actual warrior priest instead of a flagelating nutjob.

The weird thing is that he is almost literally a perfect solo frame. He can self heal, provide energy, CC, buff his crit chance, buff his fire rate/ reload speed, and give himself temporary invulnerability. He's amazing solo. I really feel like all theyd have to do to make his abilities more team focused is let his abilities work when his teammates get a kill, but only if the kill is a headshot.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, (PS4)Onder6099 said:

My issue with “new” Frames. You should do 1,2,3 for best result, unfortunately before you do that Enemies are already killed by Nuker in squad.

I mean its nice design but doesnt work well due we have nullifiers in this game and frames that rests on that design are quite vurnable to nullies and require quite lots of energy to keep up. 

Old frames are either broken bad, or broken OP with very little in between. Newer frames have interesting new mechanics, but are completely out of place in the current meta except for Wisp, who is an excellent frame all around.

I still see as Nidus and Nezha as the two best designed frames in the game. All abilities are useful, they all synergize and create cohesive, fun toolkits. All frames should ideally be like this. 

Edited by Ikyr0
  • Like 2

On 2019-06-26 at 5:55 PM, moostar95 said:

Wisp: good support but if you put a gun to my face. I'll still say equinox is best support. Has a kit that is unmatched by frames old and new.  Including wisp. 

Wisp isn't a good support. She is the BEST support for the current meta, with the vitality and haste motes which singlehandedly increase group survivability but more importantly dps and mobility. Haste is the best buff in the game by far. Because the game is about killing everything as efficiently as possible, right? Looter shooter and all. No one really needs survivability or CC these days. It's really bad game design, but it's true.

Edited by Ikyr0

On 2019-06-26 at 8:34 PM, AwkwardLazarow said:

Baruuk: Wait to get shot with to use 4, by that time i can kill more enemies with my weapons than with the storm thing that charges

well, you can charge the 4 with the 2, spam the second ability a bit ad you can charge the 4 pretty fast, plus, you can use the 3 to disarm the enemies.
Once you have charged enought the 4th ability(doesn't take that much, and it last long enough), you can use a deadly exalted fist weapon that quickly deals a lot of damageand,it disposes of a very big hitbox that can easily hit everything in your sight, and has a lot of punch throught.

it's worth it, trust me, baruuk it's not only an "press 1 and wait for the 4th to be ready", good cc, invulnerability and good damage with the 4

50 minutes ago, moostar95 said:

Sure, but the buffs are a plus to content that is piss easy to begin with. Plus equinox can heal, tank with night all while slowing foes down to a crawl or becoming a walking power strength mod in day form with the peaceful mod. Also in a good team. Equinox's four is go out of the star chart. It's broken but unlike mesa's 4. It's earn though effort.  My point is that equinox has more build diversity.  It's a opinion, bud. I'm not saying wisp is a bad frame.

Haste.

Many of the new frames offer great ability synergies but the price for that is a constant awareness what ability to activate next. That can get very tiring in longer missions. 

The first big exception to this is Khora. I totally love her and the playstyle she allows. Firstly I can bring two cats into every mission. Her strangledome works differently but yet very well know to a longterm Frost and Vauban player. And her ensnare ablity is a great alternative to Vaubans vortex or Nidus larva. 

The second big exception is Gara because her abilies work like a mix of Rhino and Frost. She is extremely versatile. She can be used as a room clearer, as a team healer, defense frame or even tank'ish.

Garuda is an odd-ball because her abilites are very interesting but lock you into a certain playstyle to keep her alive. That is something I do not like

All next-gen male warframe are less intersting to me. The synergies are to forced upon them and they struggle when you bring a nulli into the room. Somehow the ladies seem to have gotten the better ablities. 

Edited by k05h
  • Like 1