[DE]Bear

Third-Party Software and You - A PSA

Question

Greetings, Tenno.

We have seen a few requests lately, specifically requesting that we provide a list of software that we do and do not allow to run in conjunction with Warframe. While it is understood that some software is good and others are inherently bad or designed to assist cheating, there are some cases where software falls in gray areas.

The reason for this post is to have an updated reference about our policy on external, third-party software, and the potential pitfalls of using such software in conjunction with Warframe.

The simple, golden rule is this;

If you use external software in conjunction with Warframe, then you do so at your own risk.

While we could technically issue blanket bans on everything that alters the game files, the fact of the matter is that there's some software that can be useful and helpful for members of our community. This is where context is very important. The difficulty here is that it's incredibly hard for players to prove that they are not using a program nefariously, and while it is certainly possible that there are false positives (which a ticket to support can resolve), the ban will remain in place until your ticket can be processed.

This leads into why a list is not provided. If you have a piece of Macro software that is normally tolerated, but is then discovered to be the source of a future exploit, that software may get added to a ban list, and you could potentially be caught up in the automatic drag net. As stated above, there is no easy way to prove that the software used is benign.

Bans for altering game files, cheating and / or exploiting Warframe are hefty and final. Our stance on using such software is firm, and appealing against that ban is very difficult if we have reason to believe that you have been using said software for cheating, exploiting, or AFK farming.

The only way you can reliably, 100% avoid a ban for using external software is to simply not use it. 

Again, if you take anything away from this post, it should be this;

If you use external software in conjunction with Warframe, then you do so at your own risk.

• Like 20
  • Haha 5
  • Satisfied 2
  • Woah 11
  • Applause 3
  • Upvote 7

I feel a lot of macro use would be cut down if in-game mechanics were altered like Semi-Auto and Burst-Fire.

Removing the arbitrary input cool down between shots on these weapons types would be an easy start.

I realize maintaining the feel of those firing mechanics is important but modding and even base stats of the weapon can prevent it from reaching it's potential. Take Vasto Prime as example. A revolver with 5.42 Fire rate or 8.67 modded with Lethal Torrent. This is a ridiculous fire rate for a Semi-auto weapon. That's not being obscene with stacking Firerate. That's just it's base stats and build.

I have moderate carpel tunnel as most PC gamers end up with and I buy expensive mice. I cannot left click that fast without my hand going painfully numb and I don't want to wear out my hardware because of a poor design. So my options are to use a firing macro or not use the weapon. Not a great selection.

I know firing macros are probably not what you're talking about and I personally find spin2win a grey area at best. I'm more stating that game design could be improved so more heavy handed approach with 3rd party program usage is justified.

• Applause 1
  • Upvote 6

23 hours ago, BiancaRoughfin said:

By me if its not a Recording Program, Game Overlay like NVidia`s / Discords or plugin like Razer`s Chroma for the game interacting with the mouse/keyboard colors, it should be banned, including Macros as people still exploit them for shameful Spin2Win mechanics.

1 bad macro does not make all macro's bad.

Il y a 1 heure, Xzorn a dit :

I realize maintaining the feel of those firing mechanics is important but modding and even base stats of the weapon can prevent it from reaching it's potential. Take Vasto Prime as example. A revolver with 5.42 Fire rate or 8.67 modded with Lethal Torrent. This is a ridiculous fire rate for a Semi-auto weapon. That's not being obscene with stacking Firerate. That's just it's base stats and build.

I have long advocated for semi auto at high firerate to have halved firerate and damage and status compensated accordingly. 

2 hours ago, Autongnosis said:

I have long advocated for semi auto at high firerate to have halved firerate and damage and status compensated accordingly. 

Yea, Pretty much.

A lot of in-game mechanics and designs are the cause of macro use.

There probably wouldn't be a spin2win if Maiming Strike followed the math of all other additive bonuses.

Posted (edited)

i physically cant play slide-attack for longs time, my hand really hurts. Without macros for this i just would not play WF. well...DE,maybe u will create in game macroses for this??? make ur game more comfortable? instead of blaming players for every step outside the game. -.-

hours in a row of pressing same buttons with stretched fingers, thousands of times...brrr.  

Edited by Melanholic7
  • Upvote 2

Could we get some of the common macros that are allowed, added officially to the game so we don't have to ask? 

• Upvote 5

EULA

f. use cheats, automation software (bots), hacks, mods or any other unauthorized third-party software, tools or content designed to modify the Software, the Service or the Game experience;

Seems aimbot and wallhack is all the rage in warframe now. Google search brought in 80,500 returns on this subject. 

DE should to address this situation.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

I have been using a slide macro with around 2 attacks/sec for years (it doesn't fully do the attack, still gotta move), same as a bullet jump macro because I actually am unable to use one of my fingers on my keyboard hand. This statement clarifies nothing, because DE didn't tell anyone what automization means. Do you mean 40 min AFK farm with nekros or rather simply giving us easier acess to certain button-combos? Why do you even make it possible to get a fire rate of 20 on single fire gun? Maybe rather make a gun automatic as soon as it hits a certain treshold?

Well, maybe most of this stuff may not be relevant anymore when melee 3.0 hits the game. IF it ever hits.

Le 26/06/2019 à 21:20, [DE]Bear a dit :

This leads into why a list is not provided. If you have a piece of Macro software that is normally tolerated, but is then discovered to be the source of a future exploit, that software may get added to a ban list, and you could potentially be caught up in the automatic drag net. As stated above, there is no easy way to prove that the software used is benign.

This is especially scary, just HOW HARD can it be to create an in-game notification for players that tells them to not use certain macros once an exploit is discovered?

You're basically telling us that we get randomly banned whenever you see reason to spontaneously change something, in my eyes this is pure terror, to be a bit hyperbolic.

Edited by Genoscythe
schpelling and more rant <3
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Upvote 6

I thought I was  going to see the list but where is the list? I use Nvidia’s Geforce graphics card and also Logitech gaming mouse and keyboard. They both have software running when the Windows starts. Are they okay? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
On 2019-06-26 at 1:00 PM, BiancaRoughfin said:

I call it shamefull because its abusive and used in a way that was not intended to. If you follow the DevStreams you would know that the Devs regret having added Maiming Strike into the game because it made a playstyle they dont like.

Slide attacks are used by  many users to build powerful melee builds. It is used as the way it is intended to be designed to be, and many players love it. Long live spin2win. It is only you and few other who can’t use it well and don’t like it. If you prefer other styles of attacks, that’s up to you. 

Edited by George_PPS
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Woah 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, George_PPS said:

It is only you and few other who can’t use it well and don’t like it

Implying spin2win requires any skill at all and that it's only people who can't use it that don't like it...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

Implying spin2win requires any skill at all and that it's only people who can't use it that don't like it...

but it takes so much skill to slide and press melee over and over or do what most people do and set up a macro to do it for you

like i can use it fairly easily to frank it took maybe me seeing it once to mimic it but i dont like it because it more boring then playing the default game on my phone seriously spin to win is getting beat by hold on let me actually bring it up on my phone *one phone look later* Cricket the default game on my phone where it is just crickets playing cricket ball has more entertainment value then using spin to win 

but hey you gotta acknowledge some people put being efficient over everything else or have fun being a rotary blade of a helicopter and murdering everything because god forbid they let other people kill things since most of them have reach rivens that can rival the speed of light in distance it can touch but the true measurement of skill the speed of ones hands learning to repeat a series of 2 buttons presses that you can change to be very easy on your hand while holding forward or the speed of ones macro that does the hard "skill" work for you so all you gotta do then is hold forward and move the mouse or just move the mouse if you put forward in the macro too  

hmm turns out hangry me rn is very sassy i have been enlightened to how monkey feels every day now 

5 minutes ago, seprent said:

i have been enlightened to how monkey feels every day now

You have my sympathy.

11 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

You have my sympathy.

to quote the aspiring champion from Warhammer

I FEEL THE WARP OVERTAKING ME IT IS A GOOD PAIN 

in all serious notes i should eat something and derail else where as this is a legitimately important topic 

Macros have allowed me to play Warframe where as without them I wouldn't be able to. 

Simply holding W for a few mins already hurts my finger yet alone spamming melee, bullet jumping, semi/burst fire etc... 

There should be some options in game that can help with these things. For example in the Division games or Assassins Creed Odyssey, there is an auto run or even auto parkour (just vaulting and climbing over small stuff) feature. Those options have allowed me to play those games where as without that i wouldn't be able to play much or at all (without using 3rd party software for that). Yes parkour is different in Warframe with bullet jumping but allowing the frame to hop over a small obstacle without losing momentum would be cool. Of course this would be an option to turn on or off. This may be clunky or sound bad to some people but for those of us that need to use the least amount of key presses to avoid more joint pain, an auto run feature at least would be a big help. 

For semi auto weapons maybe just hold the button down instead of spamming the click button like people have mentioned.

Melee is tougher since combos are involved. I'm not sure how to address this. Personally, I don't use melee as much solely because of the spam factor that you need to do with or without combos. I usually use a glaive. Throwing it is easier then spamming the melee key. 

I'm probably ok using macros to help me like this but there is still that fear of an auto ban with the "Do so at your own risk." 

• Applause 2
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

I recently used a slide macro mainly for efficiency and to reduce tension on my wrist. Am I cheating? I dont know, I still have to run around, use my keyboard, mash E, use my mouse to aim and shoot, 1 2 3 4 for my the skills and spend 1 to 4 hours on weekdays and 3 to 6 hours on weekends playing and farming just like the others.

On 2019-06-27 at 3:20 AM, [DE]Bear said:

On 2019-06-27 at 3:20 AM, [DE]Bear said:

the fact of the matter is that there's some software that can be useful and helpful for members of our community.

PLEASE just state and be specific.

EDIT: If DE bans the use of macros then hey your call.

Edited by Choookis
  • Applause 1
  • Upvote 2

im getting no mans buy vibes here

the community: DE can we get a stance on weather or not macros are allowed and a list of flat out no go software

DE: yes shakes head no

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Upvote 3

It's common sense. Altering game files is a big NO NO! Meanwhile using macro isn't. Macro just makes repetitive tasks a bit easier. You don't also consider the fact that most peripherals today come equipped with macro programs example of this is Razer's macro. Macros don't alter game files. I'm surprised that Waframe is already pretty old but it doesn't still know how to differentiate cheats from macros. What are you doing these past few years?? I'm disappointed with this. IDC if I'm getting banned using macro. I'm on my way out anyway. Destiny is going be f2p so, yeah. You do you.

• Woah 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

well spamming left click with Akjagara prime in survival mission does hurt my finger alot
and excal exalted blade spam e

also i think Exodia Contagion need some tweak, currently right now you had to do both double jump and aim gliding at same time to launch a projectile.

Edited by .OwOkin.
  • Like 1

You know how sometimes when you're at work or hanging out with friends, you ask them a question, they respond to you for like 15 minutes but your question somehow remains unanswered regardless?

That's this post.

• Applause 4
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Ethel173 said:

im getting no mans buy vibes here

the community: DE can we get a stance on weather or not macros are allowed and a list of flat out no go software

DE: yes shakes head no

Should have used the meme.

dsmGaKWMeHXe9QuJtq_ys30PNfTGnMsRuHuo_MUz

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Upvote 2

That post is like a bad bugfix, didnt clarify at all but raised even more questions...

Is DE using some kind of "AI" to detect those thing and is therefore not able to tell which software is ok?

How does a macro software alter files?!

Does the software need to interact with warframe to trigger the ban? The software that comes witch almost any mouse any keyboard does support macros, will those be detected if they are running or when they are used with warframe?

You acknowledge how hard it is to prove your own innocence so provide at least some usable guidelines. Just stating that it is at your own risk does not help at all.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

A member of my clan loss two fingers of his left hand (the ring finger, and the pinky in a kitchen accident when he was a child) so he need to use macros even to jump, he use his hand only to W,A,S,D, keys, all the other things he has to use a mouse whit a lot of botoms . He could be banned?

Edited by Vantash
  • Upvote 6