Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The new Abilities UI needs to be changed

Karonuva

I'll preface this with saying I'm going to be really frank/harsh because IMO this is an issue across the entire new UI, obtuse minimalism for the sake of 'minimalism' and prioritizing showcasing panorama shots, background designs, etc over their intended purpose of providing information. I hate having to hover/click/press tab or sometimes all three for a small little window of text when 90% of the screen space is completely wasted.

But this, the abilities screen, really is especially baffling.

8faSfGj.jpg

The issues here are extremely egregious
1. 95% of the screen space is completely wasted, just to showcase this panoramic shot for NO good reason. It's the ABILITIES screen, not the panorama screen.
2. ALL the information is obfuscated under click/hover/tab actions even in spite the fact theres no shortage of screen space.
3. The information.. is obfuscated on a page thats LITERALLY just meant for information. In favor of showing off something that serves no purpose to the end user.

Why? You can make something flashy and fit with the new UI design without completely removing every single important aspect of the User Interface. Because that's what it is supposed to be, a user interface. Not a 'panoramic scene viewer'. I am sorry if this comes off harsh, but I flat out frankly hate these common threads in the UI redesign of screen-wasting minimalism, information obfuscation, and focus on having to hover-click for every piece of information instead of just displaying it in that 95% free space.

This new UI aesthetic COULD be extremely cool, but it's being absolutely ruined by the obsessive need to hide information in favor of empty space.

The user interface should present people with information as best possible, not obfuscate it behind clicks and hovers just for a looping screensaver or a misguided sense of minimalism. Please rethink the design direction here.

Edited by CephKaron
  • Like 1

I completely agree with you, and your criticism of the UI can be levelled at other screens too. Take the Relic Details screen you get after clicking on a linked relic in chat; a full-screen close-up of a relic and 2 buttons. That's it. There is absolutely NO information UNTIL you hover over one of the buttons. Just show me the (hover-free) dang information already!

In a different vein; what's with the plethora of different location-dependent menus? (e.g. in orbiter, in dojo, on-planet etc.) One menu is only accessible if on-planet and in operator form. Just have one standard menu regardless of location or form.

I was hoping DEs recent UI efforts would make it good but they haven't. There have been improvements but it still annoys me.

IMO the UI in this game is poor and its weakest aspect.