Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

No more open worlds

Alejandrokek

...Why?

If the infested open world is true, I think it's a waste of resources from DE. The plains and orb vallis could have much more content, specially on orb vallis, there are quite a few landscapes that weren't used to its full potential.

Yeah you will get more people to play your game, but will you really keep them engaged? At least for me, in the end it will be boring if you just keep doing the same bounties but with random locations and zero variation outside that. 

It's the same thing most AAA companies did years ago, pointless open worlds are not a good thing. I would like to have at least half of the density of content that The Witcher 3 had on it's world, but on fortuna or plains.

TL,DR: Orb Vallis and Plains are huge, they have much potential and could use more content, In my opinion there's no need for more half-filled worlds.

• Like 14

I agree. I don't play in either PoE or Orb because I am just not interested in them. But sadly, they have tied so much of the game as far as items go into both of these open worlds you either do without a lot of stuff or are just plain forced into having to go there to get said items. Neither of which is a good. Both open worlds are beautiful, I will give them that. But I don't find either open world fun or interesting. I love everything else about warframe, just not the open worlds aspect. I wish they would redo more tilesets like they did for Jupiter. Or better yet, add some new ones to more moons or even some on an asteroid. Just don't do any more open worlds or at least have a way to acquire items without having to go to the open world to get them.

• Like 7

I don't think anyone's expecting one for a while. Empyrean is the next big thing, and that's unlikely Open world in the sense that OV or PoE are.

There may be more after that, especially if the original reveal which indicated Railjack/Open World integration. Which may in turn start adding more stuff to the open worlds. Would be neat to have missions that involve a Railjack sequence down to/up from OV or PoE.

hace 5 minutos, (XB1)Cubic Clem dijo:

Great that feedback now is demanding instead of asking. 👌

Hello, please allow me to remind you that perhaps, maybe, you missed some sentences on my post, such as "I think", "At least for me", and of course "In my opinion"

So, from the start this is my point of view that I'm writing here, in the end they will do what they deem necessary and that's ok.

Now I would really love if you add your opinion regarding this topic too, instead of whining about the most pointless things.

Thanks.

hace 9 minutos, Loza03 dijo:

I don't think anyone's expecting one for a while. Empyrean is the next big thing, and that's unlikely Open world in the sense that OV or PoE are.

There may be more after that, especially if the original reveal which indicated Railjack/Open World integration. Which may in turn start adding more stuff to the open worlds. Would be neat to have missions that involve a Railjack sequence down to/up from OV or PoE.

I'm fairly sure I heard that some times on devstreams, or it has been rumored/mentioned by many players. But yeah, Empyrean comes first and that looks good.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Chewarette said:

I'd rather they rework continously-broken tilesets, such as the Europa ones, instead of creating another Open-World.

Oh, God... The Europa tileset is just such an ugly mess of buggy lighting, wonky textures and bizarre geometry. More than any other part of the game, it feels like some kind of half-way finished Early Access game for Kickstarter backers only. It breaks every time anything changes, it still has plenty of yellow and green ice, the environmental lighting never matches the character lighting... Oh, and it's a fugyly tileset, as well. Supposedly DE are going to be remaking the Corpus Ship tileset next, so one only hopes that Europa will come after that, considering it reuses a lot of the same assets.

As I've said elsewhere, I feel open worlds are a money pit with very little return but feeding DE's ambitions for being a big-boy open-world MMO. Me personally, I'd prefer seeing tileset redesigns and - crucially - whole new tilesets. It's really irritating that you stop seeing new ones past Uranus, with Neptune, Pluto and Sedna having the same old reused designs. It rather curbed the enthusiasm for at least one friend of mine. And then you have places like Saturn and Phobos which also have a mix of reused assets, as well. I'd like to see each planet have its own unique tileset before I'd want to see a new open world.

• Like 3

Open World - limited to just 4 players

and if one of those players leaves squad and happens to be host, everyone else in the "open" world gets shafted

Wut? in what other game do 'open worlds' work this way?

DE really needs to fix how open worlds work before they go and add in more of them...

Go look at how your main competitor, Destiny2 handles their Open World areas. As flawed as Destiny is that is one aspect they did get right.

• Like 5

Open worlds have more potential to work with, like starting "node" missions from various entry-points in the world. They "sorta" did this with some of Fortuna's bounties, especially the heist line and using those three Corpus facilities. However, I'd see it more like a mix of the star chart, bounties, the now defunct incursions on the plains of eidolon... and Alerts.

The whole idea of random issues popping up to deal with if you choose to engage, made the world feel more alive. The ability to get bounties while in the open world without going back to town was a good idea, but I find myself returning ANYWAY, just to "bank" what I've gotten so far (or revive my poor sentinel that the flying and AoE-happy enemies seem to love to kill). So, using the Open World in the same manner as the Star Chart to choose mission nodes would be interesting (in the same way we may use Railjack to fly between planets, and fly to specific mission nodes to begin those missions.)

I wouldn't link most of the planet's nodes to the open world, just ones that fit the locations properly in a "randomized" way. As it is currently, the random tilesets work within the logic of the game, as we're exploring similar locations, but not identical locations on each world for these missions. Both the Corpus and Grineer build generally similar structures, either for cost or military efficiency, and the infested just infest those locations, so the reason for the similarity allows for suspension of disbelief that they're all so similar.

I do not want to see the star chart disappear, I just want the mission start functionality available from the open world, to integrate them more smoothly.

The "links" to these mission nodes may imply a jumping-off point within the open world that requires some distance travel to a "nearby" but not-part-of-the-open-world location... either by Liset or Archwing mini-cutscene for travel.

In the case of Fortuna's 3 Corpus bases, there could be different entry points that determine the type of mission you initiate, like finding a vent allows for a spy vault type mission, while breaking in the front door is an exterminate mission. Spy vaults could be branching missions, if the data you find leads you to finding a weakpoint in the enemy base that could be sabotaged... or a high value target being present in that base to capture ... if you so choose, or just escape with the data - both being successful missions.

Ideally, these mini-missions would have their own "mission complete" saving of rewards, without requiring a trip back to a town to bank your progress, without breaking up the flow of gameplay.

Those are just a few ideas... (I've posted my idea for an infested overworld mission/activity, and what I hope to see happen there, in other threads like this)

Overall, I find the open worlds a good addition to the game as a whole, but they require something more (like the above stuff).

I just finished Second Dream. So I gathered that I have to go to Cetus and ruminate with the Quills to find out more. The only thing I could find were more Bounties. 

After 4 out of 5 bounties ended up failed, mostly because people were joining and abandoning the mission like mad, others never participated. It was just silly.

It seems Open World is Utter Confusion and a total Waste of Time, from my observation.

Edited by RealJustBoo

23 hours ago, moostar95 said:

Fix frames. No more open world crap you'll play once a month and never look back on.

Pretty much might as well be one of the many things i say like a gospel. Focus time on getting all the older/used only really for one type of content/plain meme-ish now frames fixed up, Ember is crying in a corner. Nyx could of had more done to it, Titania could of probably had a bit more done to her to smooth things out (maybe some more ability synergy sides needing razorwing blitz equipped?). Plus my favorite O.G. starter, Loki is falling further into irrelevancy with Wisp & Reworked Wukong pretty much making spy missions and fast mobility even more of a joke. 

Edited by Avienas

If we are ever to see more "open worlds", I'd like the formula to be completely redone, because our current iterations I feel have actually contributed surprisingly little to the game's longevity: once the grind in the Orb Vallis or Plains of Eidolon is done, there is no reason to touch either of the locales, because those places are their own self-contained worlds that do not integrate in any way with the rest of the game. Unlike standard tilesets, those singular, massive tiles don't integrate into the missions we engage with the most often (the Orb Vallis in particular doesn't even feature in Sortie missions, even if the Plains do), and their own, limited set of bounties don't exist outside of those miniature worlds. Effectively, instead of all building into a single, expansive world, we currently have three worlds, one of them being the Warframe we know and love, and the other two being these miniature, static tilesets with a few more things to do than usual.

Thing is, I do think Warframe as a game has the potential to eventually turn into an open world, but I think that transition would be much better-served by developing upon our entire in-game universe, e.g. by letting us explore the space in-between our missions (which Empyrean may start to give us), than by creating these really big, isolated levels, or hyper-grindy and equally isolated game modes like Sanctuary Onslaught. I think there's a fundamental contradiction between calling individual levels in Warframe "open worlds", without being able to say the same of the entire game, and for this reason, while I think there's tons of unexplored potential for exploration in the world of Warframe (I'd love to see the surface of Eris, and what an actual Infested planet would be like), that I think needs to be achieved via a level design that feeds into the larger game, instead of limiting us to one big, hyper-detailed tile.

Also worth mentioning is that, as mentioned by others, there's tons of content in the game in dire need of an update, which could benefit from even a small fraction of the massive resources typically put into "open worlds": the Jovian Concord I think is one of the best updates to Warframe in a very long time, because it brought permanent improvements to a tileset that features in many more missions at almost all levels of content. It raised the bar in level and even enemy design to such an incredible degree that it's made me dream of what could be done to other tilesets in Warframe: Empyrean promises to rework Corpus and Grineer ships, and beyond that there are several tilesets, especially the Corpus Ice Planet, Corpus Infested Ship, Grineer Sealab and Grineer Asteroid tilesets that feel utterly tiny and janky, and could use a similar increase in scale and freedom of movement. Even decent tilesets like the Grineer Forest, Grineer Settlement or Corpus Outpost could become absolutely amazing if given the Corpus Gas City treatment, and there are still several planets that have no unique tilesets of their own. If updating a single tileset could make the game feel so different when playing in it, imagine how it would feel if every other part of the game were brought to the same standard of quality.

• Like 2

hace 6 horas, Uan91 dijo:

I want more events on open world, but no more open world for now. They have loads of good material to work on.

This, It's always nice to have more beautiful worlds, but time and resources are limited, you can't just ignore the problems that we currently have in the game and just waste resources on something new just for the sake of "having a big chonk of world", adding more things and enhancing the experience on the already existing open worlds is cheaper and more meaningful than just creating more huge expensive worlds.

En 30/6/2019 a las 15:00, Test-995 dijo:

No, i think they should implement every one open world for each factions first, sentient included.

Yeah, It would be nice, but It's not that simple, for now I think they should focus on fixing and improving what we already have, having a year or two without more open worlds, using their valuable time and money doing (in my opinion) more priority stuff, like:

-Reworking broken tilesets and creating new ones (that could be the Sentient one that they're doing), effectively giving players a more fresh experience, like Steel_Rook and Chewarette  already said above. Maybe adding more types of endless missions with better rewards and bosses in the process, like Ropalolyst and Disruption.

-Adding more and better events, something different than the repetitive thermia thing, that's pure boredom.

-Changing the openworld isolated system that we have, so we stay inside the open world, and have a reason to, because right now it's just a big zone that we go sometimes for some minutes and that's it. As (PS4)haphazardlynamed(PS4)AyinDygra and Teridax68 said. I think It needs a rework, and a big part that affects this for me, is the host migration system and account syncronization, I always have the fear of losing all my rewards and time invested on longer missions, but the Host System is a necessary evil, though It could be improved by just syncing your rewards with DE's server, like Nightwave already does, so if you fail the mission or it bugs by whatever reason, the host falls, you already did your challenge and have your rewards, you don't lose the time invested.

Sure, it would be beautiful if It was a server with dozens of players roaming the world, but that's expensive, what we could have instead Is more integration with said world, like Railjack showed one time, you have your ship on Orb Vallis's surface, and the transition between the outside and your ship and items could be seamless, that's one of the things that makes it really feel like an open world.

I'm not a dev, but I think that this is probably cheaper and more valuable than doing yet another big world, It's not that simple, I know.

Edited by Alejandrokek
  • Like 1

Uuugghhhh not another open world....

Look I wouldn't mind if it was actually filled with giant monsters and was actually dangerous to get around in and was a survival horror..but, if it's just the same old five syndicates with eight new material farms with bosses and frames hidden behind the top tier of said five syndicates then I would rather DE just work on similar Jupiter reworks for other tile sets ...

On 2019-06-30 at 10:29 AM, Alejandrokek said:

...Why?

If the infested open world is true, I think it's a waste of resources from DE. The plains and orb vallis could have much more content, specially on orb vallis, there are quite a few landscapes that weren't used to its full potential.

Yeah you will get more people to play your game, but will you really keep them engaged? At least for me, in the end it will be boring if you just keep doing the same bounties but with random locations and zero variation outside that. 

It's the same thing most AAA companies did years ago, pointless open worlds are not a good thing. I would like to have at least half of the density of content that The Witcher 3 had on it's world, but on fortuna or plains.

TL,DR: Orb Vallis and Plains are huge, they have much potential and could use more content, In my opinion there's no need for more half-filled worlds.

I have bad news for you, Warframe is going to become a new "Open World" game.

[ It has already been revealed by the Developers that the new "Railjack" update is only the beginning of a series of game changing mechanics to allow Players to travel through space and to explore each planet as an "Open World" environment. ]

Conceptional  Design:

The navigation will allow players to set their destination to a Planet, then the Players can control the ship after it enters orbit to land at any mission location (there will be re-work of most planet tiles that do not have landing pads). Once your ship has landed, the mission will start and the Player must return to their space craft after mission completion.

[ There will be similar design for the missions on enemy starships, but instead the Player uses their Archwing to enter the mission location.]

Edited by xV3NOMx

The open worlds are currently one and done type of thing, once you acquire everything there is no reason to come back (except Eidolon Hunting, because Arcanes have market value giving reasons for people to come back). 

I would say DE updates the current open world first before adding another, for example adding Arbitration bounties or endless bounties with sustainable reward pool (like endo, kuva, and void relics) and maybe include void fissures too. It would definitely add some replayability to the open worlds.

Edited by DrivaMain

On 2019-06-30 at 12:29 PM, Alejandrokek said:

.dur dur dur

Screw you.  I like the open worlds.  And there is absolutely NOTHING stopping them from going back and adding stuff to them whenever the hell they feel like it.  Look at Plains getting a small update.  Hunting, thumpers, bounty boards.  

I am dieing for an infested open world map!!   

Have you seen the new Sentient Tileset??  Doesnt look like working on other things has hurt their ability to make awesome new tilesets either.  

If you take out open world bounties then your wanting more normal mission types, ESO, Arbies, that new turd mode Desolution?   Oh boy let me contain my excitement!!