Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Reasons Why Chroma Absolutely and Undeniably Needs a Rework

(PSN)LoisGordils

Good evening, Tenno! 

As you may already know, DE has been slowly, but surely, been reworking and tweaking some of the older Warframes in order to bring them to current standards. That said, aside from Ember and Vauban, Chroma is easily the most requested Warframe for a rework. Despite some people claiming otherwise because he can "deal a lot of damage to Eidolons", Chroma has some serious, glaring design flaws. 

Chroma's current issues:

1. One dimensional: For a being known to be the master of the elements and superb at adaptability and versatility, Chroma falls extremely short. While having four elements in his repertoire that can be utilized for different effects, Chroma is really only played with the Cold element.

2. Incomplete kit: Let's face it, Spectral Scream and Effigy are among the absolute worst abilities in the game. Spectral Scream deals negligible damage (even with max strength!) and has little area of effect; while Effigy is too energy - intensive for a lackluster turret with mild crowd control and poor damage.

3. Bad mechanic and lack of an actual passive: Given how DE discontinued Arcane Helmets because they offered statistical advantages at the cost of fashion creativity, and changed Arcanes to no longer be tied to cosmetics for the same reason, I am baffled at how Chroma's "passive" remains untouched. We have some very good, useful passives in-game that really have a tangible impact on gameplay (Garuda's, Gara's, Hildryn's, Banshee, etc). Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for Chroma. Firstly, locking down the elements behind energy color hinders versatility a lot. Not being able to adapt and change our current elemental alignment to better suit a given situation pretty much goes against what Chroma, the master of the elements, is. Secondly, even if Chroma can switch elements in-game via a skill, that would still leave him with no passive whatsoever.

4. Passive gameplay: Ironically, the Warframe with no passive has the most passive kit in the game. Two of his abilities lack any real worth, and his other two are the definition of set-and-forget. Quite honestly, they extrapolate so much, they may as well be integrated into the same ability slot.

Now, that his issues have been discussed, I will provide my idea of a rework that I believe will address the issues above.

Goals of this rework:

1. Give Chroma an actual passive

2. Make the other elements actually worth using

3. Give new life to otherwise two dead abilities

4. Provide Chroma with nigh-unrivaled versatility

Abilities:

Passive: Called Elemental Affinity, Chroma will now gain bonus elemental damage on all weapons based on the currently selected element. Does not combine with other elements.

1. Spectral Scream: This ability will now allow Chroma to cycle through his arsenal of elements. Hold to cycle, tap to activate. With this change, issue #3 is solved. However, the pitiful damage still remains. I propose a range increase (the current base 10m is too low) and a base damage increase (200 damage is just bad). Now, Spectral Scream, like any good damage ability, needs to scale. My idea is that Spectral Scream takes some inspiration from Saryn's Spores. Meaning, the damage on Spectral Scream ramps up per tick and per enemy caught by the stream of elemental destruction. Upon deactivating Spectral Scream, Chroma unleashes an elemental Nova that knocks down nearby enemies and inflicts a percentage of Spectral Screams's total damage at the moment of deactivation (if SS had 10,000 damage ramped up, the nova would deal a percentage of that).

2. Elemental Ward: While interesting of design, the ability itself is poor. The only worthwhile buff is the Cold one. In addition to possibly tying the aura's effect on allies to Affinity Range, buffing/tweaking the other three elements to be on-par with Cold would be a viable solution:

a. Heat - In addition to the Health buff provided, this aura grants status immunity. Heat Spectral Scream gains the ability to proc Blast if used with EW activated.

b. Toxin - In addition to increased dexterity, enemies near the caustic aura will have their armor degraded every second. Note that it's not Corrosive procs, per se. Merely, the aura ticks away at the enemy's base armor value (similar to Shattering Impact). This provides Chroma with valuable armor stripping. Spectral Scream gains the ability to proc Viral if used while EW is active.

c. Electric - This aura eliminates Shield recharge delay. Meaning, shields are constantly regenerating at amount per second. Moreover, upon losing X amount of shields, a disruptive pulse is emitted that jams enemy guns and disables robotic enemies in Chroma's immediate vicinity. When Spectral Scream is used, damage caused by it allows Chroma to quickly build overshields while simultaneously draining shields from enemies and giving them to allies.

d. Cold - While this element does not require a buff, adding the capability of freezing attacking enemies wouldn't hurt either. Moreover, Spectral Scream gains the ability to freeze enemies that are continuously damaged by the attack. 

3. Vex Armor: Should remain mostly unchanged. It's a pretty straightforward ability. Some synergy based on chosen element would be nice, however:

a. Heat - Weapons gain increased projectile speed

b. Toxin - Weapons gain increased status chance

c. Electric - Weapons gain increased fire-rate and punch-through

c. Cold - Weapons gain reduced recoil and increased accuracy

4. Effigy: Chroma's trusty mini-dragon should rightfully be treated as an Exalted Weapon and given its own slot. However, it should be considered a Pet and given both a slot for the Effigy itself and a slot for its offensive attack (akin to a glorified Sentinel). Effigy's Roar (codename for Effigy's breath) should incorporate beam weapon mechanics. Additionally, Effigy can serve as an extension of Chroma himself. Meaning, Effigy is affected by Elemental Ward and Vex Armor and can share the buff with allies standing near it.

Please feel free to share your thoughts on Chroma and don't hesitate to leave your rework ideas too! :]

Edited by (PS4)LoisGordils
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

Chroma is really only played with the Cold element.

I play with heat, here me out here: The heat may give less overall EHP, but with a maxed Adaptation and a high strength Vex armour, you're going to be getting at least a 1000% armour buff with a 90% DR on top of that. That means that enemy weps can only really do chip damage, at 1 or 2 damage at a time, even without extra armour from cold elemental ward, therefore I use heat to live longer.

Spectral Scream and Effigy are among the absolute worst abilities in the game.

I agree, but if we get another boss that has a giant credit drop that credit boost better not go away!

3. Bad mechanic and lack of an actual passive: Given how DE discontinued Arcane Helmets because they offered statistical advantages at the cost of fashion creativity, and changed Arcanes to no longer be tied to cosmetics for the same reason, I am baffled at how Chroma's "passive" remains untouched. We have some very good, useful passives in-game that really have a tangible impact on gameplay (Garuda's, Gara's, Hildryn's, Banshee, etc). Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for Chroma. Firstly, locking down the elements behind energy color hinders versatility a lot. Not being able to adapt and change our current elemental alignment to better suit a given situation pretty much goes against what Chroma, the master of the elements, is. Secondly, even if Chroma can switch elements in-game via a skill, that would still leave him with no passive whatsoever.

1. You can't really see the change in "energy color" as it's the first emissive, and no one really sees the emissives in normal gameplay, except in your orbiter.

2. And his ability to change what elemental ward does based on energy color I would say IS a passive. It's different, it's not in any other frames in any kind of way, and it's not a dedicated ability. What suggestions do you have for and "actual passive".

and his other two are the definition of set-and-forget. Quite honestly, they extrapolate so much, they may as well be integrated into the same ability slot.

Your argument here is a little silly. Let me clarify: You have to not forget about Vex because the only way to keep the buff up is to recharge it before it runs out. That's not a set and forget. (And elemental ward and Vex do very different things, but then again you wouldn't know that because you only use Cold. /s)

Give Chroma an actual passive

His passive is a passive, and your solution would only make is basic gameplay style more basic with everyone choosing heat or electricity for eidolons.

Make the other elements actually worth using

Heat is worth using tho...

Give new life to otherwise two dead abilities

Fair.

Provide Chroma with nigh-unrivaled versatility

What does this even mean?

Edited by sharkstrangler
  • Like 1

1. Spectral Scream: This ability will now allow Chroma to cycle through his arsenal of elements. Hold to cycle, tap to activate. With this change, issue #3 is solved. However, the pitiful damage still remains. I propose a range increase (the current base 10m is too low) and a base damage increase (200 damage is just bad). Now, Spectral Scream, like any good damage ability, needs to scale. My idea is that Spectral Scream takes some inspiration from Saryn's Spores. Meaning, the damage on Spectral Scream ramps up per tick and per enemy caught by the stream of elemental destruction. Upon deactivating Spectral Scream, Chroma unleashes an elemental Nova that knocks down nearby enemies and inflicts a percentage of Spectral Screams's total damage at the moment of deactivation (if SS had 10,000 damage ramped up, the nova would deal a percentage of that).

2. Elemental Ward: While interesting of design, the ability itself is poor. The only worthwhile buff is the Cold one. In addition to possibly tying the aura's effect on allies to Affinity Range, buffing/tweaking the other three elements to be on-par with Cold would be a viable solution:

a. Heat - In addition to the Health buff provided, this aura would grant a short regeneration buff when an enemy within the aura's radius is killed. Heat Spectral Scream gains the ability to proc Blast if used with EW activated.

b. Toxin - In addition to increased dexterity, enemies near the caustic aura will have their armor degraded every second. Note that it's not Corrosive procs, per se. Merely, the aura ticks away at the enemy's base armor value (similar to Shattering Impact). This provides Chroma with valuable armor stripping. Spectral Scream gains the ability to proc Viral if used while EW is active.

c. Electric - This aura eliminates Shield recharge delay. Meaning, shields are constantly regenerating at amount per second. Moreover, upon losing X amount of shields, a disruptive aura is emitted that jams enemy guns and disables robotic enemies in Chroma's immediate vicinity. When Spectral Scream is used, damage caused by it allows Chroma to quickly build overshields while simultaneously draining shields from enemies and giving them to allies.

d. Cold - While this element does not require a buff, adding the capability of freezing attacking enemies wouldn't hurt either. Moreover, Spectral Scream gains the ability to freeze enemies that are continuously damage by the attack. 

3. Vex Armor: Should remain mostly unchanged. It's a pretty straightforward ability. Some synergy based on chosen element would be nice, however:

a. Heat - Weapons gain increased critical damage

b. Toxin - Weapons gain increased status chance

c. Electric - Weapons gain increased fire-rate and punch-through

c. Cold - Weapons gain increased critical chance

4. Effigy: Chroma's trusty mini-dragon should rightfully be treated as an Exalted Weapon and given its own slot. However, it should be considered a Pet and given both a slot for the Effigy itself and a slot for its offensive attack (akin to a glorified Sentinel). Effigy's Roar (codename for Effigy's breath) should incorporate beam weapon mechanics. Not only that, I believe that Effigy, when Summoned, stayed near Chroma (and follow him); again, kinda like an Exalted Sentinel.

BRUH, do you even realize just how OP Chroma would be after these changes? Jesus christ man, legit everyone would run Heat elemental as that would give you a health buff, a regen buff, a heat damage buff, and a CD buff.

You are essential turning Chroma into a Wisp that can do everything that she can, AND MORE, AND BETTER.

Dude, seriously wtf. I'm not responding to the rest of this.

48 minutes ago, sharkstrangler said:

Dude, seriously wtf. I'm not responding to the rest of this.

those suggestions need tuning but they're actually good ideas that only improve him without changing his ability design

Edited by TKDancer
  • Like 3

I want his 1 to be a "FUS RO DAH". Provide Ragdoll Knockback/Damage/Status Proc of current element on every enemy it passes through.
The damage doesn't need to mean much since it will more be a CC.

4 will give him wings to hover around and low ground level and upgrade all his other abilities. Especially his 1.
With a certain amount of channeling cost, he will become the true Elemental Lord.

During his 4, 
his 2 will imbue all the power of the elements, dealing an AoE of weakening the enemies resistance of the element he has chosen.
his 3 will imbue an extra elemental proc on every enemy his weapons gets hits by. This won't affect the original proc since it always happens after the original proc as an extra hit
his 1 will become a true dragon's breath. After rooting himself to the ground, he will start channeling a beam of elemental chaos. It will perform constant Knockback/Elemental Status Proc continuously for a very long range(enough to cover a whole room). It will last until his energy is completely depleted, and can change direction by turning left and right. This is inspired from Diablo's Lightning breath & Wisp's Sol Gate. Bringing the full Dragon vibe to life.

What Chroma needs badly is more fluent gameplay, hence more synergies. Refreshing two distinct active powers is a real pain so making his auras automatically refreshed upon another offensive power would be great. At the moment Chroma's gameplay is pretty much Refresh aura 1+2 and nothing else, the most boring thing on Earth, everything else is more than optional. If his 1st or even effigy were actually useful, it could help with his aura's timer refresh.

I don't think that effigy is that bad, at mid level it can kill quite efficiently (at least with frost) and its augment mod can be handy at times but what Chroma really needs here is some consistency in his whole kit. Perhaps a few tweaks would do the trick concerning effigy but i'd literally remove his first power and rework his whole kit around effigy, which (sadly) is his only signature power. Perhaps something that could also help with his energy management - and also help with his real lack of fun.

Hmm... to me, you’ve hit on a lot of the right points.

Vex does not need to be stronger, but the other three do, his elements need to be switchable and they have to have a more meaningful effect.

On that, though, I feel you’re not covering a couple of things that are still going to hold this frame back.

First, the 1. Locking him into the animation isn’t fun, and while your build up for scaling is fun, something in his current kit will help that if we let it. So, rather than a beam, make it a blast, cone of effect, with a high status chance. Scale the damage with Vex Armour for that buff (the bit in his existing kit that I mentioned), and play his other abilities off it. All four elements have a short duration on their effects, use them as a primer.

2. Yes buff the effects, but why not make them active rather than just passive? Heat boosts health, but killing an enemy on fire grants life-steal bursts. Toxin increases dexterity but then you gain bonus status and crit on enemies with an active toxin proc and for scaling it increases for stacked procs too. Ice, armour, damage reflect, but also damaging enemies with a cold proc will reduce their armour (swapped this over from the toxin, Frost strips when enemies are frozen so it has an in-game precedent). And electricity removes shield recharge, but killing enemies with an active electric proc grants over shields (or chunks of shield if you’re below max).

This way you change element, blast enemies with 1 and then kill them while your 2 is active for returns. Also means you can work with the other elemental frames to have them do the status on a wider area and reap the rewards.

3. Key the Vex buffs off the Status procs too, instead of just a passive buff.

4. Rather than a mobile turret, one of the things I actually appreciate the stationary turret for is that ability to leave it and roam. Conceptually, even if it’s not very practical now. Turn it into a buff banner and second source of status by removing the radial push and the credit boost and replace them with the new 1 and that everyone in range of it gains all buffs Chroma has running so that he can still help them everyone even when he isn’t there.

So, imagine it, he has high damage and survivability, buff allies in range with that same damage and survivability, but when you hit 4, your team also benefits from the active portions, the armour strip, shield restore, status and crit boosting and health restore on enemies with status on them, which your Effigy helps supply them with.

Interested?

Edited by Birdframe_Prime

Spectral Scream changed from a channeled stream into a one time frontal conical scream. All elements cause enemies to be stun and deafened for a duration, in addition to a guaranteed proc of the element.

Range affects cone length and angle. Duration affects deafen duration. Strength affects damage. Damage is also affected by equipped Primary mods.

Elemental Ward now also leaves a dragon egg-like pickup where Chroma first casts the ability. Allies can touch the egg to imbue themselves with the elemental buff. The egg lasts until Ward wears off on Chroma. Elemental Ward aura now refreshes and pauses the timer of allies' buffs when in Chroma's range. Ally buff duration is separate from Chroma's own Elemental Ward duration.

Toxin Elemental Ward now also offers status cleanse and immunity, alongside its other buffs.

Vex Armor now affects Effigy, providing both Fury and Scorn buffs. Additionally, damage received by Effigy helps build into Vex Armor. Effigy emits Vex Armor aura around it for half the modded range.

Effigy now gains the halved armor value from Chroma. When Spectral Scream is cast, Effigy also casts it in the direction it is facing if it is attacking a target; if not, it will scream toward where Chroma is facing. Holding down the ability key by default now teleports Effigy to Chroma, as it flies up and slams down from the sky creating its roar shockwave to stun nearby enemies on impact. If Elemental Ward is cast when Effigy is active, the Effigy will also leave a dragon egg where it hovers.

Super conservative rework adding stuff on top.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sharkstrangler said:

I play with heat, here me out here: The heat may give less overall EHP, but with a maxed Adaptation and a high strength Vex armour, you're going to be getting at least a 1000% armour buff with a 90% DR on top of that. That means that enemy weps can only really do chip damage, at 1 or 2 damage at a time, even without extra armour from cold elemental ward, therefore I use heat to live longer.

Heat is good, yes. I too have used it. But really, Cold still reigns 

1. You can't really see the change in "energy color" as it's the first emissive, and no one really sees the emissives in normal gameplay, except in your orbiter.

2. And his ability to change what elemental ward does based on energy color I would say IS a passive. It's different, it's not in any other frames in any kind of way, and it's not a dedicated ability. What suggestions do you have for and "actual passive".

It's a bad passive

Your argument here is a little silly. Let me clarify: You have to not forget about Vex because the only way to keep the buff up is to recharge it before it runs out. That's not a set and forget. (And elemental ward and Vex do very different things, but then again you wouldn't know that because you only use Cold. /s)

They are both passive abilities. You may need to charge Vex Armor at first(easily achievable with self-damage), but after that it's just a passive skill. It serves as a tanking skill (like Cold and Heat EW) and as a damage buff

His passive is a passive, and your solution would only make is basic gameplay style more basic with everyone choosing heat or electricity for eidolons.

The bonus elemental damage wouldn't combine with other elements. Still a better passive than what we have

BRUH, do you even realize just how OP Chroma would be after these changes? Jesus christ man, legit everyone would run Heat elemental as that would give you a health buff, a regen buff, a heat damage buff, and a CD buff.

You are essential turning Chroma into a Wisp that can do everything that she can, AND MORE, AND BETTER.

For Eidolons, maybe. I know I wouldn't run Heat 24/7 when the other bonuses are just as good.

Well, yeah. "Master of the elements, adaptable to any combat scenario, he reigns supreme over the battlefield" -Chroma profile video

6 hours ago, TKDancer said:

those suggestions need tuning but they're actually good ideas that only improve him without changing his ability design

I agree, perhaps change the Vex Armor suggestions to be purely quality of life buffs

5 hours ago, Shaburanigud said:

I want his 1 to be a "FUS RO DAH". Provide Ragdoll Knockback/Damage/Status Proc of current element on every enemy it passes through.
The damage doesn't need to mean much since it will more be a CC.

4 will give him wings to hover around and low ground level and upgrade all his other abilities. Especially his 1.
With a certain amount of channeling cost, he will become the true Elemental Lord.

During his 4, 
his 2 will imbue all the power of the elements, dealing an AoE of weakening the enemies resistance of the element he has chosen.
his 3 will imbue an extra elemental proc on every enemy his weapons gets hits by. This won't affect the original proc since it always happens after the original proc as an extra hit
his 1 will become a true dragon's breath. After rooting himself to the ground, he will start channeling a beam of elemental chaos. It will perform constant Knockback/Elemental Status Proc continuously for a very long range(enough to cover a whole room). It will last until his energy is completely depleted, and can change direction by turning left and right. This is inspired from Diablo's Lightning breath & Wisp's Sol Gate. Bringing the full Dragon vibe to life.

That's too drastic, will never happen, sadly

5 hours ago, 000l000 said:

I don't think that effigy is that bad, at mid level it can kill quite efficiently (at least with frost) and its augment mod can be handy at times but what Chroma really needs here is some consistency in his whole kit. Perhaps a few tweaks would do the trick concerning effigy but i'd literally remove his first power and rework his whole kit around effigy, which (sadly) is his only signature power. Perhaps something that could also help with his energy management - and also help with his real lack of fun

That's the issue, "mid-level". Effigy absolutely needs some tweaks

1 hour ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

Hmm... to me, you’ve hit on a lot of the right points.

Vex does not need to be stronger, but the other three do, his elements need to be switchable and they have to have a more meaningful effect.

On that, though, I feel you’re not covering a couple of things that are still going to hold this frame back.

First, the 1. Locking him into the animation isn’t fun, and while your build up for scaling is fun, something in his current kit will help that if we let it. So, rather than a beam, make it a blast, cone of effect, with a high status chance. Scale the damage with Vex Armour for that buff (the bit in his existing kit that I mentioned), and play his other abilities off it. All four elements have a short duration on their effects, use them as a primer.

A single blast? Then that wouldn't be too good of a status power because you lose the ability to proc multiple times 😕

2. Yes buff the effects, but why not make them active rather than just passive? Heat boosts health, but killing an enemy on fire grants life-steal bursts. Toxin increases dexterity but then you gain bonus status and crit on enemies with an active toxin proc and for scaling it strips for stacked procs too. Ice, armour, damage reflect, but also damaging enemies with a cold proc will reduce their armour (swapped this over from the toxin, Frost strips when enemies are frozen so it has an in-game precedent). And electricity removes shield recharge, but killing enemies with an active electric proc grants over shields (or chunks of shield if you’re below max).

This way you change element, blast enemies with 1 and then kill them while your 2 is active for returns. Also means you can work with the other elemental frames to have them do the status on a wider area and reap the rewards.

That could work. Though it maaay be too good, who knows hehe

3. Key the Vex buffs off the Status procs too, instead of just a passive buff.

I didn't quite get this

4. Rather than a mobile turret, one of the things I actually appreciate the stationary turret for is that ability to leave it and roam. Conceptually, even if it’s not very practical now. Turn it into a buff banner and second source of status by removing the radial push and the credit boost and replace them with the new 1 and that everyone in range of it gains all buffs Chroma has running so that he can still help them everyone even when he isn’t there.

So, imagine it, he has high damage and survivability, buff allies in range with that same damage and survivability, but when you hit 4, your team also benefits from the active portions, the armour strip, shield restore, status and crit boosting and health restore on enemies with status on them, which your Effigy helps supply them with.

Interested?

This I like! 🙂

1 hour ago, PsiWarp said:

Spectral Scream changed from a channeled stream into a one time frontal conical scream. All elements cause enemies to be stun and deafened for a duration, in addition to a guaranteed proc of the element.

Range affects cone length and angle. Duration affects deafen duration. Strength affects damage. Damage is also affected by equipped Primary mods.

But... that wouldn't be a significant change. He can't switch elements and the damage remains bad

Elemental Ward now also leaves a dragon egg-like pickup where Chroma first casts the ability. Allies can touch the egg to imbue themselves with the elemental buff. The egg lasts until Ward wears off on Chroma. Elemental Ward aura now refreshes and pauses the timer of allies' buffs when in Chroma's range. Ally buff duration is separate from Chroma's own Elemental Ward duration.

Toxin Elemental Ward now also offers status cleanse and immunity, alongside its other buffs.

So allies can have their buffs refreshed but Chroma can't? What about the augment?

Effigy now gains the halved armor value from Chroma. When Spectral Scream is cast, Effigy also casts it in the direction it is facing if it is attacking a target; if not, it will scream toward where Chroma is facing. Holding down the ability key by default now teleports Effigy to Chroma, as it flies up and slams down from the sky creating its roar shockwave to stun nearby enemies on impact. If Elemental Ward is cast when Effigy is active, the Effigy will also leave a dragon egg where it hovers.

Very nice 😄

Vex Armor now affects Effigy, providing both Fury and Scorn buffs. Additionally, damage received by Effigy helps build into Vex Armor. Effigy emits Vex Armor aura around it for half the modded range.

This I like 🙂

2 hours ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

A single blast? Then that wouldn't be too good of a status power because you lose the ability to proc multiple times 😕

That could work. Though it maaay be too good, who knows hehe

I didn't quite get this

This I like! 🙂

Hey, glad you like most of it, let me explain a little;

1. The ability doesn’t need to proc more than one status to key the other abilities, you just have to have, say, a Fire proc on the enemy while using the Fire Ward in order to get the life steal on kill, or have a Toxin proc active to get the bonus stats on your shots with the Toxin Ward. You would only need to cast the ability at most once every six seconds or so, depending on which status you were using.

2. I would rather aim high and reign it back in than aim low and miss the mark.

3. Your effects on Vex may buff it too far, considering how much of a nerf it’s already received, but again I’d prefer to aim high. So rather than just a passive buff based on your element, play off the active buffs I mentioned earlier. 

Have Vex’s damage buff also increase the benefits of Wards’s new active effects. If you have Fire running then you get increased life steal for better healing, if you have Ice then the armour reduction is enhanced. Toxin gets higher status and crit, and Electric restores bigger chunks of shield and overshield per kill.

4. Thought you would ^^ big buffing dragon gets a big buff banner to rally allies to, put over a pod, or even tow around with the augment.

Fun times ^^

effigy is not useless. it costs too much. it has health and has channel? one needs to go. they should apply the specter AI to it and allow it to move and attack freely. this alone i would use effigy more.

i feel the addition of operators was a mistake because any power you used to use to get people up or use in emergency moments are made invalid by the invincivisibility of the operators.

spectral screem we all agree should go though. full body skill thats worse than ignis as a first ability >.>

Edited by EinheriarJudith
  • Like 3

DE had the opportunity to rework Chroma before his prime release but they didn't. when his prime was released people are very upset that he didn't received a rework. This thread got thousands of replies and rework discussion but sadly no response from them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DrivaMain said:

DE had the opportunity to rework Chroma before his prime release but they didn't. when his prime was released people are very upset that he didn't received a rework. This thread got thousands of replies and rework discussion but sadly no response from them.

We actually did get a response. They said that they were aware of people wanting a rework, but that they were not planning anything for him at the time

1 minute ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

We actually did get a response. They said that they were aware of people wanting a rework, but that they were not planning anything for him at the time

I didn't know about the response, mind adding a source? (it was mentioned in update 22.14 patch notes but there are no in depth response that I saw from that point on)

23 minutes ago, DrivaMain said:

I didn't know about the response, mind adding a source? (it was mentioned in update 22.14 patch notes but there are no in depth response that I saw from that point on)

DE don't give in-depth responses for most of these. The responses usually are just the one line 'we are aware of that, but we aren't planning anything at this time'.

It's just like other topics before this, like the 'elemental damage resistance for elemental frames', the response being only 'we're not looking into that, it's not on the table for discussion'.

Most official flat-out 'no' we've received from them on most things, really.

• Like 1

On 2019-07-01 at 1:21 AM, sharkstrangler said:

-snip-

Most of the Chroma requests are outlandish to be honest and I'm not surprised they are mostly ignored.

Everyone in this game will cry and say _________'s passive sucks, DE change it for like every frame. Then they'll request something like everyone else can't read between the lines and understand why a specific change is being requested to a specific ability, claiming its balanced for one reason while pretending it doesn't break another facet of the game.

But you gotta let people dream. It's not like DE will take any suggestions from their forums. Even if they did in the slightest, it would be a variant far off from what was hoped for.

To a large extent, I agree with the assessment and the goals of the rework as stated in the OP: while I disagree that Cold is the only viable element (Toxin is useful for Profit-Taker), Chroma is a much narrower frame than he deserves to be, with only half a kit and not much gameplay based off of it. However, I'd go further and say that when Chroma's abilities aren't useless, they're boring, and so deserve to change as well: in their current state, Elemental Ward and Vex Armor have about as much gameplay as an egg timer, where the player presses a button for a long-duration steroid, and does little other than constantly watch over those timers in order to refresh them just before (for his 3) or after (for his 2) they expire. As such, I'd want to alter those effects so he gets to do more interesting things with elements. For example:

• Passive - Draconic Armor: 
    • Chroma gains bonus armor based on the damage he takes.
    • Additionally, if no primary weapon is equipped, Chroma can equip his Spectral Scream instead, a weapon with 100% base status chance that always deals 100% elemental damage based on his element of choice.
  • 1 - Elemental Ward: Tap to toggle Chroma's primary element, and hold to toggle Chroma's secondary element, the combination of which creates Chroma's chosen element. Chroma is immune to damage and status of his chosen element, and afflicts enemies who attack him with his chosen element's status. The default element for both is Heat, and subsequent ranks unlock Cold, Electricity, and Toxin respectively.
  • 2 - Vex: Tap to taunt nearby enemies into attacking Chroma, and accumulate damage taken for the next few seconds. At the end of the duration or upon tapping again, Chroma releases a nova of his chosen element, damaging enemies based on a multiplier of the absorbed damage and applying status.
  • 3 - Fury: Charge to consume Chroma's bonus armor, causing his next weapon attack to deal a bonus amount of flat damage based on the armor consumed, of the element of his choice, and applying a status proc from that element.
  • 4 - Effigy: Toggle to separate Chroma from his pelt at no Energy cost. During this time, Chroma does not benefit from his abilities, but using them instead commands his pelt to cast them instead, with a massive range bonus. Hold to reposition the pelt.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

The only real thing that really always bothered me the most about this nerf back then was simply the lack of honesty from DE about his survivability itself.
They only talked about his damage getting "fixed" and  then they also nerfed his survivabilty.
And that is the only thing i want back on him. I do not give a flying f... about the damage nerf. I can live without it. But i want him to be back on track to be able to tank damage again like what he used to do. 

The buff for others would be nice, if the range of it wouldn't be so laughable at best already. Every Chroma tries to go for max strength, and making the ability take range mods in consideration is a bad joke. Or a really low effort attempt to force people into using ranged mods.

Sure i would rather take a direct rework to make everything great off him, but right now he is nothing more but a shadow of his former self. A cardboard cutout dragon with coffee spilled on him.