Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How would you react to the end of power creep?

TARINunit9

56 minutes ago, (PS4)Onder6099 said:

Everything is saved on DE’s datamines, so they know the best.

Given the continuing BS that is Saryn, Equinox, and so forth on the starchart... I'd argue that they don't know what's really best for the long term health of the game. 

They know what makes them money and grabs attention and that's pretty much it.

• Like 1

On 2019-07-02 at 6:15 AM, (PS4)Kamranos said:

As someone who has seen the “go-to” weapons change over and over, I think the system is not too bad. There is always going to be something to dethrone the “best” anything of the moment. I remember years ago the same argument was had regarding the Boltor Prime. The game naturally evolves and will again.

Going from one imbalanced state to another isn't very exciting to me. Excitement should come from challenging and diverse (=lots of tools if equal power to chose from) game play, not to chase the fotm.

9 hours ago, Blatantfool said:

It's all good. I've been standing on my soapbox yelling about this specific topic for a long time.

It is my opinion that it is a mistake to try to break power creep down into parts when you talk about it. I think people need to abandon treating the situation like it's effective only one or two systems of the game and not all of them. Power creep is a massive topic and when you hyperfocus on a part of it conversation is messy.

Yeah, especially with how prevalent it is in the modern gaming industry. It's a huge topic that needs full addressing and affects the entire game, as it's intertwined in the entirety of the game.

I know, what if they somehow grouped all the weapons into categories, say five different levels, based on popularity/usage across the community. Then, they made a set of mods designed to boost the stats of the less popular weapons, perhaps with a fun little way to randomize the stats on the mod. It wouldn't eliminate the power creep, but it would help stop lesser used gear from becoming irrelevant as new weapons are introduced.

About the only way they could bugger that up, is if they allowed these special mods to also boost the top teir popular guns as well, leading to the best stuff only becoming better, increasing the eliteist power plateau so everyone who doesn't have these mods is considered a scum sucking bottom feeder noob, and get people spamming the already hectic trade and region chat with a whole new unbridled flood of stupid overpriced crap for the same ten weapons and "ish dees reiven gewd???" messages, undermining the entire point of the line of mods in the first place.

But they wouldn't do THAT, right!?!?

1 hour ago, (NSW)FlameDivinity said:

Yeah, especially with how prevalent it is in the modern gaming industry. It's a huge topic that needs full addressing and affects the entire game, as it's intertwined in the entirety of the game.

Don't get me wrong though, talking Warframe specifically I'd say that the situation is very important but also not quite as bad as people make it out to be.

To a certain degree power creep is just a fact of life. If DE wants to challenge the people with the longest play hours they have to push the envelope. Pump the stats up. There are only so many side-grade enemies and work around mechanics that'll make sense. People hate invulnerability phases and the like after all. So really most enemies in the trash mob category don't have much better to throw at us then their raw stats.

And weapons are no different. There aren't an infinite number of interesting ways to to a burst-fire rifle or sniper rifle. You'd do fine just clocking out side grades for a while but somewhere at some point "IT" will finally happen. "IT" being that time a side-grade idea is just better than the other stuff it is supposed to be a flip of. Eventually a passive effect, a secondary fire or some other weapon gimmick is just gonna be better. Maybe it has to do with playstyle, maybe it's just because the gimmick pulls ahead in DPS. Doesn't matter.

Eventually it'll creep. Warframe hasn't gotten where it is now in power creep quite as quickly as sometimes people feel. Honestly, I think the single worst power creep we've ever experienced is probably Rivens. Frankly, I think Rivens are just a straight up mistake that now DE and all the rest of us are stuck living with. Warframe is more than just a few years old now so we've got more than a couple years of creep under our belt. That's the real reason sometimes it seems really horrible. 

That's just my take though.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MirageKnight said:

Given the continuing BS that is Saryn, Equinox, and so forth on the starchart... I'd argue that they don't know what's really best for the long term health of the game. 

Is in Canada everything for free or are DE exempt from monthly payment for toilet paper thru energies up to Canada’s government taxes and fees? I don’t think so and it’s even harder for F2P game to get money, you must assimilate to market and attract as much players as possible and satisfied their needs, players focused on power creep included.

Edited by (PS4)Onder6099

Balance shouldn't be attempted in warframe from my perspective. For me the appeals of this game include growth among other things. I can't improve if everything is a stagnate power level. Damage is something the warframes of all things should be capable of. They're powerful. I think that the answer is completely different. It's the enemies that need non-stat buffs like having to be hit in weak points, variations of nullifies and the like, and other mechanics that you can't power your way through. To that end, I think hordes of grunts should always be weak and the more elite units should always present a potential threat if not handled well. A regular trooper should never scale to the point of being able to tank a nuclear blast the way they do currently. Instead, that should be the role of the elite units, almost like mini-bosses. Nox is a start, but there simply isn't a big enough variety of that to keep the combat spicy and hot. If we had balanced weapons, we'd be just as bored of the grind, but now we'd just feel pathetic as we sit in hydron unloading our magazines of bullets that tink off of grineer armor scaling. (and still achieving broken amounts of nuke-age most likely). It would only serve to harm the power aspect of the game - which is a main draw. Not to mention making the combat more dynamic instead seems like it would only be a better thing to do. 

The more mods, the better. If most things can be built for most purposes, then I'd say that there's nothing to worry about in the numbers game. (Unless they invent pvp survival) That won't fix everything, but will certainly help. I think we're going in that direction in recent years.

So, in short: Trying to create balance in warframe is a lazy and harmful way of solving core flow-of-combat issues within the grind. And there is hope.

Addition: Ever play geometry wars? Odd example right? Well in a certain game mode, you'll get to a point where it suddenly swarms you with a varient of weak enemy! It's actually pretty challenging to deal with the first time, and later on when there's other enemies present at the same time - whew! there's these black holes that suck up the lesser enemies that spawn sometimes and if you don't deal with them quickly, they explode into tracking projectiles! That game and warframe are both horde shooters in essence imo, 

--People like to say that things are too much work for DE. Let DE decide what they can and cannot do--

Edited by (XB1)Architect Prime

1 hour ago, (XB1)Architect Prime said:

It's the enemies that need non-stat buffs like having to be hit in weak points, variations of nullifies and the like, and other mechanics that you can't power your way through. To that end, I think hordes of grunts should always be weak and the more elite units should always present a potential threat if not handled well. A regular trooper should never scale to the point of being able to tank a nuclear blast the way they do currently. Instead, that should be the role of the elite units, almost like mini-bosses. Nox is a start, but there simply isn't a big enough variety of that to keep the combat spicy and hot. If we had balanced weapons, we'd be just as bored of the grind, but now we'd just feel pathetic as we sit in hydron unloading our magazines of bullets that tink off of grineer armor scaling. (and still achieving broken amounts of nuke-age most likely). It would only serve to harm the power aspect of the game - which is a main draw. Not to mention making the combat more dynamic instead seems like it would only be a better thing to do. 

So, sorta like Left4Dead or the Killing Floor series?

The amount of "power creep" in this game is negligible in my opinion. We can clear tilesets with the press of a button, generate energy in seconds or deal ridiculous amount of single target dps. For example wether you regenerate your energy pool with Energy Pizzas, Trinity, Energizing Dash or Arcane Energize might be more or less efficient in certain scenarios but that´s far from what I´d call power creep. Same for 5% more or less damage on weapons. Those small and liniar improvements don´t make you kill proportional scaling enemies significantly faster. Corrosive Projection or Viral damage on the other hand trivialize scaling since ever.

Personally I would not rely on "alternative playstyles" that much because they are far more complicated to create and limited compared to scaling. If there was really that much powercreep I wouldn´t fight the same level of enemies over and over. And I don´t think fighting enemies of various difficulties is much more easy or difficult now than it was let´s say 4 years ago. Still the same methode .. remove defenses and stun lock in super high level nuke them in all other tiers.

Actually I´d go as far as to say we got negative power creep in certain aspects of the game ... more ability immunities... urgh!

Also I don´t really get most of the arguments when those topics appear. A lot of the comments that propose "less power creep", "reduced scaling", "more focus gunplay" sound more like they want some kind of Counter Strike or Call of Duty in space with some minor balance changes. Personally I´d prefer far more rpg elements and scaling where I can fight against lv 1000 gunner some day (without cheese).

Edited by Arcira
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Blatantfool said:

Don't get me wrong though, talking Warframe specifically I'd say that the situation is very important but also not quite as bad as people make it out to be.

To a certain degree power creep is just a fact of life. If DE wants to challenge the people with the longest play hours they have to push the envelope. Pump the stats up. There are only so many side-grade enemies and work around mechanics that'll make sense. People hate invulnerability phases and the like after all. So really most enemies in the trash mob category don't have much better to throw at us then their raw stats.

And weapons are no different. There aren't an infinite number of interesting ways to to a burst-fire rifle or sniper rifle. You'd do fine just clocking out side grades for a while but somewhere at some point "IT" will finally happen. "IT" being that time a side-grade idea is just better than the other stuff it is supposed to be a flip of. Eventually a passive effect, a secondary fire or some other weapon gimmick is just gonna be better. Maybe it has to do with playstyle, maybe it's just because the gimmick pulls ahead in DPS. Doesn't matter.

Eventually it'll creep. Warframe hasn't gotten where it is now in power creep quite as quickly as sometimes people feel. Honestly, I think the single worst power creep we've ever experienced is probably Rivens. Frankly, I think Rivens are just a straight up mistake that now DE and all the rest of us are stuck living with. Warframe is more than just a few years old now so we've got more than a couple years of creep under our belt. That's the real reason sometimes it seems really horrible. 

That's just my take though.

You pretty much summed up all my thoughts.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, (XB1)Architect Prime said:

Let DE decide what they can and cannot do

You act like we've always had a choice in the matter....because we really haven't. Especially not since they got bought out.

Oh sure we can criticize and complain (and have done so in the past), but DE has and always will have free reign to do whatever the heck they want - so long as they ultimately have funding and approval from their owners.

2 hours ago, MirageKnight said:

You act like we've always had a choice in the matter....because we really haven't. Especially not since they got bought out.

Oh sure we can criticize and complain (and have done so in the past), but DE has and always will have free reign to do whatever the heck they want - so long as they ultimately have funding and approval from their owners.

People like to savagely tear down anybody they don't agree with here on the forums. Like to an unreasonable degree.

On 2019-07-01 at 9:45 PM, TARINunit9 said:

I don't really have much of a poetic lead-in to this topic and the question therein. It started with me looking at the recent Prime Access weapons and thinking to myself "Tipedo and Akjagera Primes? Zhuge and Ninkoni Primes? Funny, those are a lot weaker than the twin saints of Power Creep that are Rubico and Galatine Primes (and the sidegrade Gram Prime)". I then started reading articles on power creep and how, historically, it's both decried as lazy game design in retrospect and also very common regardless. Then I noticed I was starting to veer toward "snobbish" again and started revising my train of thought to try and consider people who aren't myself. To that end, I figured I would try to have some fun and actually ask the question rather than just think about it:

How would you, personally, the person reading this sentence, react if today was the end of power creep in Warframe? If this was as strong as our gear was going to get? Warframe takes the Pokemon Route to balance: new pokemon have tweaks, might be more specialized or less specialized than existing pokemon, and might have entirely new roles and archtypes, but overall Game Freak tries to create a world were old and new are both potentially powerful and they don't create another Gen1 Mewtwo (despite that one time they made Mega Rayquaza). Thus in Warframe, we might get cooler gear, or more "gimmicky but still useful" gear, or upgrades to our QoL in our gear, but never any more explicit power? We might get weapons with more focus on burst damage, or better sustained DPS, but our overall TTK against a pack of level 200 Bombards won't change all that much?

Arca Plasmor, Tonkor, Tiberon Prime, Galatine and Gram Primes, Rakta Cernos, Rubico Prime, Pyrana Prime, Staticor, and so on and so forth. They become the new standard for our gear. We would get new gear, but if you have the old stuff you can still at least compete?

Hide contents

As a follow-up question, how would you feel if DE went past the Pokemon Route and full-on into the Team Fortress 2 Route of reverse power creep? How would you feel if we got full-on rollbacks of power back to a perceived golden age? Arca Plasmor and Rubico Prime and Galatine/Gram Primes nerfed to levels of the Hek, Vectis Prime, and War/Paracesis. Maiming Strike nerfed from +90% to flat 90%. Blood Rush nerfed to +100%. Gara's Splinter Storm/Vitrify combo is given a hard cap. Other such nerfs to bring us down to roughly pre-ESO levels of power

As long as it’s consistent, I don’t care.

But honestly?  

I’d be sad because Warframe would be over.  What you want is likely business model suicide.

• Like 1

On 2019-07-03 at 9:37 AM, Blatantfool said:

Very important point here. @TARINunit9 is completely correct. Enemy power creep doesn't get talked about as much because players just assume that it's a symptom of DE reacting to weapon power creep but it's not that simple.

DE has to invent enemies that can fight players, which means they have to get stronger with time. At this point that problem has created a situation where in some cases the level of the enemies can't even be said to be accurate because enemies from different locations scale steeper meaning lower levels can = higher levels just due to a map change.

Then after they invent those tough enemies they have to invent weapons that feel good used against them, which normally means they're stronger weapons.

Then they have to invent enemies that are still tough even against those weapons.

Then they have to invent weapons for those new enemies too.

When it comes to power creep within the weapon balance it all happens in a cycle. Some parts of power creep like Riven mods are outside of this cycle but still problematic, but the largest chunk of the power creep discussion takes place within the cycle.

They haven't actually released enemies that do that though. PoE enemies would've still been low power level at the point in time that sorties came out let alone when it actually did. Sorties were too low of a power level for an end game content at the point they released. This game hasn't had a good strong enemy since before sorties came out and we had endless void. Endless void was a bandaid for difficulty but at least it was better than the difficulty options we have right now. 

On 2019-07-02 at 3:03 AM, moostar95 said:

Watching every entitled and meta bully cry and quit the game. I'll help myself to some food when the forums burn and warframe becomes fun again. I've escaped from overwatch and csgo for good because of entitled players.

I don't know what's more entitled... The ones that play the meta, because it's the more efficient, or those that decry those that play the meta, because they want everyone to play "their way", and not the way the game is currently designed to be played.

Me, i don't care either way. The game doesn't have a real end game that requires a "meta", except Chroma and Eidolon Killers. And those complaining about maiming strike don't realize that your average zaw with just primed mods will have the same end-result, but with lower numbers as a galatine with maiming strike.

Finally, the end of power creep is a pipe dream. It won't happen, because if DE doesn't give us the "next big thing" there's very little reason to play the game at all... These kinds of games live and breathe on creating hype for us to play the newest stuff, and that can't happen without some power creep, because if the next weapon is just the same as the previous weapon, then why would you spend any time and resources on it? More importantly, why would the people wanting to on the wave crest of the meta spend plat on those affinity boosts, or the catalysts, or the forma?

That's why you go to any MMORPG's forums, and people will be talking about power creep in one form or another. That's just how these games work, the new things need to have an appeal, and most often than not, that translates into them having some sort of advantage of previous ones, even if its a slight one, the thing is, after a few releases, those slight advantages become not so slight, and you get a perceivable power creep. Even Guild Wars 2, a game that has very little in terms of gear progression has had a very noticeable power creep because of the need to sell the new "Elite Specs" that are exclusives to expansions.

Edited by ReaverKane
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, moostar95 said:

warframe doesn't have an endgame. seeing people being pick on and bullied on these forums for  what frames and weapons they use around their free time is unacceptable. I can understand if its eidolon hunts because that's when the meta really should matter. otherwise, EVERY frame and weapon can be played on the star chart. if you find what's useful great. but I'm no  going justify or cheer on someone being toxic  to others because their "toy is better then theirs".  you can use a meta hell frame like saryn and talk about why you love her. just don't be a prick about other people's sense of fun. which this game's community forgets greatly.

Weirdly enough, there's way more toxicity from the "casuals" that decry the meta players than the opposite, and mind you, this is consistent in other games as well.
I mean, recently i've seen ONE post decrying "leechers" in warframe (as in people who don't tend to have 25% or more damage participation), but i've seen one person complaining about Saryn players in Disruption, because that person wanted to use melee...
I've seen a ton of other posts complaining about "press 4 to win", about meta, even this post has some of that in it. Its way more common to see people bashing people for playing efficient builds and warframes, than the other way.

I personally don't care either way, if someone asks for advice i'll try to give them advice close to meta, because that's the most optimal way to play, otherwise, you do you, and i do me. Fortunately, Warframe (except in a few cases, like Eidolons and Orbs) is forgiving enough that one person can carry others, not so in other games and you still see your kinds of comments. Which, i'll say again, show magnitudes more entitlement than anyone bashing anyone else for not playing optimal.
Because this game is all about repeating content, farming stuff, and doing the same thing over and over, towards an objective. The faster you can run that content, the faster you get to the objective. That's what means to play the meta, you play the ways that give you the fastest route to people's objectives. Anyone that does that is effectively and demonstrably hindering other people's progression, and therefore most likely also hindering their enjoyment.

How demonstrably?

Here's a common example: You're doing a Void Fissure Capture mission, i get the target in 10 seconds, by the 60 seconds mark everyone has 10 traces, at 1:15 i'm in the extraction along with two other guys. But the last guy is busy doing god knows what, and we end up extracting at 1:45. That individual made everyone else wait for ~30% of the total mission type.
That time could have been spent into getting in a new mission and would allow enough time to get the objective cleared, and well on the way for half the void traces.
So who's entitled? The people that had 30s of their time wasted, or the guy that assumes other people's time and enjoyment are worth less than his enjoyment?

So here's my advice to you: IF you don't like to play optimally, DON'T, seriously, you're playing here to have fun. But if someone says you're making THEIR game less fun (and sure, that will come in the form of someone berating you for using a "wrong build"), then you also need to respect that. Because it's your choice to play less optimally, not theirs.
If you encounter that behaviour often (i honestly haven't), maybe you should try to find a clan or a group of friends that enjoy the same play style, instead of getting "offended" that someone is annoyed because you're hindering their enjoyment of the game. Because, being offended that someone is reacting negatively to having their enjoyment of the game reduced by your choices, dude, that's pretty much the definition of "entitlement".

NB: I don't know you, i don't know your play style, i'm just reacting to your own words, i don't mean offence, just trying to provide a different point of view to what you said. Indeed people being rude is not the best way to express themselves, but some people don't really know better, either because of language barriers, heat of the moment, emotional, or character issues, etc. If the way the express themselves merit it, you can always just report them. But do remember, people don't tend to just lash out for no reason, if someone is being abusive, sure report them, but think of why that might have happened, and what your personal responsibility is on that incident. Because, even on the internet people won't start attacking someone else, especially someone they don't even know previously, just randomly.

• Like 1

On 2019-07-03 at 7:27 PM, TARINunit9 said:

You've missed the point: bounty5 enemies are level 60, yet are as powerful as level 90 sortie enemies. Tusk and Terra enemies are stronger than normal Grineer and Corpus. That's power creep

no its not, because you dont face tusk and terra enemies at level 90 in the first place. their lower levels being same as sortie levels is not power creep when you never face them at the same level in the first place.

On 2019-07-03 at 8:06 PM, MirageKnight said:

But YOU do, right?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ReaverKane said:

But YOU do, right?

just like everybody else. we should just ignore the people who have experience in the industry and listen to random people on the internet when it comes to dealing with game stuff especially after the said stuff has been going on for years and did not seem to make the game die at all like everybody likes to claim.

Edited by Zeclem