Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Uthak

My idea for operator-only missions.

Hello!

So here is my longwinded idea. I seen many people who would like the operators to be more than just accessories, while others wish for more customization options, like making our operators adults. (My dream is to have an operator who looks like Danny DeVito, the manliest man ever!) Also seen some people asking for different kinds armaments for operators, like melee weapons, rifles, and such. There is a way this could be done without breaking the immersion of the game.

A questline! 🙂

According to lore, our operators are essentially these immensly powerful void-powered demigods, but they don't quite feel like such, and so far our operators only learned how to maintain control over their powers, but nothing about how to unleash their potential. Tenno were also named Dax soldiers too, like those used for the warframes, and we do have Teshin, an O.G. Dax soldier, who could be our menthor. There could also be a reasoning that with the Tenno being infused with void energies, they were rendered immortal, and stuck in the forms of kids. Not growing anymore. How could this be fixed? Orokin tech of course! 😄 From what we read in the game, the ancient Orokin were quite handy with on-the-fly genetic-level alterations, which can also mean age correction, plastic surgery, and so on.

A questline could be added to aquire technology to modify our bodies to age up, but also unlocking a new tier of powers. We would learn to wield new types of weapons in operator form, of course all void-powered, but nothing like the amps we so far had, even though they could get a little boost after the "upgrade" so they can stay relevant, but the idea is to have new weapon types with different mechanics. The affinity tree could get an update too since it's far too grindy, plus with different weapon types, those traits could have different mechanics and uses, just to spice things up. 1 ranged and 1 melee weapon, like we seen from Teshin too.

How the quest would play out, I'd rather leave it to DE's story group, but this would only make sense if we were defeated HARD, and we needed the extra boost of power. A little morality play would also be a nice touch since we haven't seen any of it for a long time, and we still haven't seen any consequences. Another possibility would be to introduce a new operator-only game mode, inwhich we would farm affinity, tenno weapon bp-s and parts, some cosmetics (always a nice motivation to include those). These missions could pose a new level of difficulty, since most of us aren't used to play with our operators, so these new missions could be made difficult too, maybe there could be a normal and an elite mode, like in Sanctuary Onslought.

The thing however is that this shouldn't be unlocked until mr 15, operators need to have a proper gilded amp, and of course the completion of all previous quests. The aim here would be to give something for veterans to do, a new gaming mode, and more ways to have fun with our operators, and finally, the most important thing ever:
*FASHION!*

Ok, lastly, the customization: proper body and face sliders. The old textures for the outfits could remain the same, but the 3d modelling would need to be redone probably for the implementation of the sliders.

This could be an entire "expansion", but with enough cunning, it could be done easily, or at least easier than redesigning entire tilesets, just using the things we already have.

Sorry for being this long, and chaotic, but it's like 400 degrees in my room and I just wanted to geth this off my chest! If you read this long, I congratulate you on your fortitude and thank you for your patience!

Have a nice day! 🙂

22 minutes ago, Uthak said:

Tenno were also named Dax soldiers too, like those used for the warframes, 

Dax was never used for operator nor warframes.

On the main topic, we are teenagers that slept for millennials and even now we are not walking around (the in mission operator is more like a projection, which is why you don't actually die in operator mode) so I don't think we would be able to use any kind of weapon

actually, our ":ghost" can still take damage and pick stuff up. so it is possible for them to use weapons in the environment.  the question there is, how would they get there hands on them. (you can't use the ones your warframe holds.)

1 hour ago, (NSW)Fiftycentis said:

Dax was never used for operator nor warframes.

On the main topic, we are teenagers that slept for millennials and even now we are not walking around (the in mission operator is more like a projection, which is why you don't actually die in operator mode) so I don't think we would be able to use any kind of weapon

If I'm not mistaken, Teshin is called a "pseudo-Tenno" by Tyl Regor, so there is at least some familiarity, albeit, I don't think it's the same as being a Tenno per say. He does, however, display certain abilities, such as projection, during The War Within. However, and this may be spoilers, during The War Within's temple in the mountain pass scene is revealed to be a mental scenario taking place during the few seconds in which the queens are trying to perform Transference Surge. When we come to, we're told that Kuva Fortress has moved, but the Operator actually can still feel their Warframe, and actually physically teleports via Transference now. Our "disappearing" act when our health drops is more a case of our powers drawing us back to the Orbiter via the void. It's even noted by Ordis that we are not physically in the Orbiter anymore when we use Transference, and essentially, the idea is that our Warframes now act as essentially portals for our Operator to physically move through.

As for the concept presented here, I don't feel any appeal for the "body modification" idea. "Void demigods" could just as well use void power to wield weapons too. I know it's not the same universe, but in the Star Wars universe, it's actually a common practice for more elderly force users to channel their force into their own body to give them immense strength and agility. This is how Yoda and Palpatine were able to move as nimbly as they did despite old age. There's nothing that says the Tenno couldn't use a similar concept to wield weapons themselves. It may also be helpful to use the same Transference Static debuff to create an effective limiter on the number of times the Tenno can respawn in a mission. Here are some changes I'd make to the concept to make it more viable, lore wise.

Currently, we teleport into missions via essentially using the Warframes as tethers for a two way worm hole, and we just ignore the laws of physics to do this by simply using "magic" called Void energy. We'll need to use something else to create this tether. So, rather than just another Warframe, we have Sentinels, and the Operator would do well to have the utility that a Sentinel brings with it. It would also be a VERY appreciated upgrade for our Operators' normal Transference in normal missions with their Warframes if the Sentinels followed the Operator around like a normal companion rather than just remaining at the Warframe's side, applying its mods to the Operator as well. In the above suggested Operator only missions, as a part of a new upgrade module to the Orbiter for Sentinels, the Sentinel could be outfitted with a device that creates a Transference signal like the one created by the Warframes, giving us the ability to use Transference into Operator only missions via the Sentinel. Now, this would mean these missions would only allow the use of your Sentinel, and your revives would be limited to the max Transference stacks (4 like any normal mission, but with a caveat). Being dropped to 0 health would not cause a downed state, so other players can't revive you. Instead, the device would absorb the Transference static like our Warframe does, which can dissipate slowly like it does on our Warframes. You'd have essentially unlimited revives if you play smart. But, if you do die 4 times too quickly, it could use up a Sentinel's life, and cause the mission to fail. However, if a Sentinel is equipped with Regen or Primed Regen, that extends your number of revives at the cost of a Sentinel Revive.

A portion of the player base would actually complain about forcing Operator play outside of the current and pending missions that require it. This is because they're either not comfortable with, or completely dislike Operator mode.

Personally, I would not mind more Operator only missions, and given how amps currently work in-game, they're only good for the regular missions--up to a point.

About the lore: Dax soldiers are the ones who trained the Tenno in their 5 disciplines. (even on a certain mission to lua, a voice will say "they are Dax soldiers", void-infested or not, the Tenno were trained to be Dax soldiers, just since their powers are different, well, ok, more like chaotic, you know, things happened. 😄

Zariman 10-0 survivor kids got picked up, they had powers, the Orokin tried to train them into Dax soldiers, making them superpowered soldiers. They failed, miserably, the Tenno needed to be put to sleep. Then they figured out how to do Transference, and combined the Tenno with another failed project, the warframes, and this new project got them all killed. A good chunk of the original warframes were actual Dax soldiers modified with Orokin infestation tech. Robot or no, superkid or no, warframes and operators are just modified Dax soldiers. Getting proper training from Teshin, or any other surviving Dax soldier would make sense.

On 2019-07-02 at 4:40 PM, Marswipp said:

A portion of the player base would actually complain about forcing Operator play outside of the current and pending missions that require it. This is because they're either not comfortable with, or completely dislike Operator mode. 

Personally, I would not mind more Operator only missions, and given how amps currently work in-game, they're only good for the regular missions--up to a point. 

That is why operators need a little make-over, a little more fluidity in movement for example, and a little more kick, new weapons, to spice up the mechanics. Operator-only missions would only work if the gameplay is as fun as with warframes. In normal missions too, operators would probably become a more versatile tool in our arsenal as well, just think about mr fodder leveling, when you enter an unranked frame with unranked weapons, wouldn't it be nice to just press 5, and become a viable team member while your warframe and those weps slowly level up? That was just one example.

24 minutes ago, Uthak said:

the Orokin tried to train them into Dax soldiers

You are incorrect.

Tenno are Orokin, an ascended human race.

Dax were a subservient human race to the Orokin, much like Grineer were Orokin servants.

Yes, Orokin were ultra racist, they literally made other humans worse to make themselves look better.

Consider how Teshin acts when faced with the Elder Queen, who is Orokin. He is forced by his very genes to listen to her. Tenno are not, and the player is able to fight the Queen.

@Loza03, pray thee, lay down some knowledge up in here.

2 hours ago, HugintheCrow said:

You are incorrect.

Tenno are Orokin, an ascended human race.

Dax were a subservient human race to the Orokin, much like Grineer were Orokin servants.

Yes, Orokin were ultra racist, they literally made other humans worse to make themselves look better.

Consider how Teshin acts when faced with the Elder Queen, who is Orokin. He is forced by his very genes to listen to her. Tenno are not, and the player is able to fight the Queen.

@Loza03, pray thee, lay down some knowledge up in here.

I have been summoned! To layeth down some Knowledge. More than necessary! Here's what we know and can determine from the lore we have. Some of this is speculative, but I'm trying to draw from canon wherever possible.

The Orokin seem to have run on a caste system - different people belonged to different castes with overarching roles. At the bottom, you have the common folk, Orokin only in that they were part of the Empire, as well as the Grineer, a way to avoid enslaving the populace (and thus avoid rebellion), whilst also avoiding AI that could potentially overthrow them. The Grineer were a worker race, cloned repeatedly. There were known to be soldiers at this time, but they were cannon fodder at most, and probably only showed up during the Old War - there are references to the Corrupted, indicating that the same tech used in the Neural Sentry was once used for wider purposes. At the Top, you had the honoured seven - the executorial congress, the council. Seven emperors and empresses who were the final word on all things. Of these, three are currently known: Avantus (deceased), Tuvul (presumed deceased) and of course, Ballas. Each seemed to have their own kingdom. For example, Ballas has been said to have a 'Cozy Position on Mars'.

Orokin specifically refers to those with the honour of Continuity - eternal life. This is known from the Ordis fragments to be more than just the Seven, although still comparatively rare. It's likely that Orokin definition is separate to their class - two people may be in the same class, but one can be Orokin and the other not. For example, it's likely Suda was Orokin, but Silvana was not, despite them both being Archimedians, since Suda lived in an Orokin Tower, but Silvana did grunt science work in a filthy tent. It's even possible for common people to be made Orokin - as indicated by Ordis's backstory, mercenaries who proved themselves exceptionally worthy were made Orokin, and presumably others in similar situations It's referenced in the Anti-Moa imprint that Orokin had families differently - likely some form of IVF, with the children brought up in their class - their 'Corpus' instead of by their biological family. It's likely that common folk still bred normally, and we know many still had fathers and mothers, although it raises the possibility that the parents the Tenno killed were not our biological ones at least not for any Tenno from noble classes.

In between are a variety of other classes. There aren't too many known - the most frequently cited is the aforementioned Archimedian class, who were the scholars, ranging from historians to scientists to even those simply monitoring the system, presumably in advisory roles. Suda used to be the latter. Margulis was also an Archimedian. There's also Sectaurus class - little is known about this Class, except that they seem to have access to higher command functions aboard Orokin vessels and are in the entourage of Executors. Most likely these are Admin and/or Pilots - 'Secretaries' of sorts. Then you have Lorists, healers. It appears this group is very rare, custom 'bred' and enhanced as Twins (who seem to be admonished and hated among Orokin society, if this Imprint and the Kuria poem is anything to go by). They have access to healing 'powers' from their tech. We also have a reference to 'Enginus' class. Simlarly to Sectaurus, there isn't much known (in fact, they are referenced in the same imprint), but given the name and the lack of access to higher functions of an Executor's ship - yet still their presence aboard it, it is probable they were engineers. There are also several unnamed classes, such as military ones.

Lastly, you have the Dax. The Dax were super-soldiers, the best until the Tenno came around. Trained with Gun and Blade (although seemingly preferring the latter for the most part), they were enhanced to superhuman levels. In accordance with the Seven principles (which also forbids AI on account of a similar matter), they are subservient to all Orokin, anyone who bore Kuva, the fuel of Continuity, unable to defy them - in turn preventing Coups. Dax acted in two roles it seems - as guards and as elite troops during the Old War. You have several accounts of regular soliders, but rarely anything other than Dax as guards. Given what we know about how Orokin reproduce, it's likely Dax were created, augmented and trained from birth.

Tenno were the exception to all of this. A rather slipshod class put together from the Children of the Zariman - probably from a number of Classes and Corpus, originally intended to Colonise Tau, but instead becoming a Warrior class. It's likely Tenno had Dax Training, but critically, they were not Dax, as Dax were made, not Trained. (it is possible that some Tenno were Dax children prior to augmentation, but that's neither here nor there).

Tl;Dr At a very basic level, Tenno were trained like Dax, but were fundamentally different from them due to the Orokin class system.

Well, it is still nitpicking by now. The point is still about the training, as our operators learn to use their powers properly without blowback, so too our training can take on a new level.When I said the Tenno are Dax soldiers, I meant classification as soldiers, NOT race/class.

Still you guys are diverting from the subject.

Operators! New customization system! New combat system!

I didn't start this post to create a place for an arguement about the lore!

Keep it on topic please. What I said about the lore is to show that putting such changes into the game is lore-wise doable. Also, the Orokin were the ruling class, they used lower ranking people quite often as bodies for their body-hopping. They manufactured the Grineer and the predecessors of the Corpus. The Dax were augmented humans, not tank-bred clones. The Dax soldier who became Excalibur Umbra had a family, a SON, who trained as  a Dax soldier too! It is more likely when they augmented them with their abilities, they also made them subservient to the Orokin nobility, but this doesn't make sense, since in the Umbra questline, the only reason the old Dax soldier can't refuse anything is due to Transference, what Ballas did to him. It might also turn out the Queens simply made Teshin into a slave, but the reason why this is unclear is simple.

DE doesn't give us enough lore.

Several very different topics were raised here...

About Dax/Tenno - at least ONE warframe was actually created from Dax (Excalibur Umbra). We, the Tenno, are kids form unsuccessful (can't call it failed though) experiment with some kind of space travel. Warframes were used in Great War with Sentients (when Infestation failed, but still based on Infestation, at the very least Excalibur Umbra). However, warframes went uncontrollable until later Tenno were discovered to be able to "sooth" 'em. There were lots of shady and unsure things (at least to me), so I won't delve deeper.

Back to subject. I totally dislike the idea of OP operators (with new weapons etc). However, I do GREATLY appreciate the idea of operator-only missions and more operator-focused content. So, count me (mostly) in here. 🙂

As many say - any stir but hunger-strike. 😉 

45 minutes ago, daktfi said:

Several very different topics were raised here...

About Dax/Tenno - at least ONE warframe was actually created from Dax (Excalibur Umbra). We, the Tenno, are kids form unsuccessful (can't call it failed though) experiment with some kind of space travel. Warframes were used in Great War with Sentients (when Infestation failed, but still based on Infestation, at the very least Excalibur Umbra). However, warframes went uncontrollable until later Tenno were discovered to be able to "sooth" 'em. There were lots of shady and unsure things (at least to me), so I won't delve deeper. 

Back to subject. I totally dislike the idea of OP operators (with new weapons etc). However, I do GREATLY appreciate the idea of operator-only missions and more operator-focused content. So, count me (mostly) in here. 🙂

As many say - any stir but hunger-strike. 😉 

They wouldn't be "OP", just fun, but nothing like god-like warframes with their rivens and meta-builds.

For example some really basic parkour, faster running, rolls, stuff like that would be nice on the mobility side. Not as silly good as Warframes ofc. The weapons would be as powerful as the current amps, maybe a bit stronger later if there are new bosses with stronger shields.

As for the weapons themselves. I'd imagine them to be like this: you could carry something akin to a sub-machine gun, or a pistol, nothing heavy, and a katana for melee. If you don't equip melee, you'll do void blasts, if you equip it, you will get void based melee moves, and the talents for voidblast would grant similar bonuses to your melee.

As I said, nothing OP, all I want is more variety, more personalization options. Make it more fun than to have our Operator mode relegated to be forever that tool we rarely use in boss battles to take out shields, and kill sentients on occasion.

Also, sliders would give more customization options to Fashionframe players. Fashion is end-game.

On 2019-07-05 at 5:48 PM, Uthak said:

They wouldn't be "OP", just fun, but nothing like god-like warframes with their rivens and meta-builds.

For example some really basic parkour, faster running, rolls, stuff like that would be nice on the mobility side. Not as silly good as Warframes ofc. The weapons would be as powerful as the current amps, maybe a bit stronger later if there are new bosses with stronger shields.

As for the weapons themselves. I'd imagine them to be like this: you could carry something akin to a sub-machine gun, or a pistol, nothing heavy, and a katana for melee. If you don't equip melee, you'll do void blasts, if you equip it, you will get void based melee moves, and the talents for voidblast would grant similar bonuses to your melee.

As I said, nothing OP, all I want is more variety, more personalization options. Make it more fun than to have our Operator mode relegated to be forever that tool we rarely use in boss battles to take out shields, and kill sentients on occasion.

Also, sliders would give more customization options to Fashionframe players. Fashion is end-game.

Well, I do like operator as weak as they are now... On the other hand, if new weapons will be on same (mostly mediocre) strength level as amps - that's good with me... And here's my idea: all the usual kinds of weapons (primary, secondary, melee and amp and your modular shield, I like 'em) but the operator can take on the mission only couple of things.

If "normal" weapons (primary/secondary/melee) deal mostly basic damage (ISP/elemental with at most 10% void), then there's a lot of consideration on these operator-only missions. Take amp and shield - and keep to void blast and whatever you built (and no ammo issues!). Take shield and rifle - no amp with only void blast to deal reliable void damage, but good range, IPS damage... Well, I think you got the idea...

well I think it is irrelevant now... AT LEAST WE GET WHAT I WANTED XD plus spaceponies...