Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Derelict Wallrunning Shenanigans: In A Bad Way!

Riddle78

TL;DR: There isn't one! Read or die!

I pride myself on my exploration in Warframe. Every tile I find myself in,I scour it. I turn it inside-out and squeeze it of all the goodies it can offer. This even extends to the Void and new Derelicts. I like to consider myself an expert on navigation in Warframe,as well as secret hunting. Maybe it's Half-Life,Dungeon Keeper,and Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II rubbing off on me. But I digress.

So,I decided to pop my Extermination Key. Not my favourite Key mission,since they seem to lack assault courses (Anyone complete the wind tunnel one yet? That one is a challenge!),but,hey,I wanna get a bunch of Assassinate Keys so I can have a ball with the new Golem. Even though Nyx is objectively TERRIBAD against most bosses.

So,I get to one of my favourite loot rooms from the Void. It's a circular antechamber with a balcony on the far wall,with a room behind that,with little inlets to either side,populated with lockers,and vents high up on the walls for access to the loot room for savvy wallrunners. This room also has a few pressure plates that trip laser plates in the inlets to make wall climbing a pain,and pressure plates in the main loot room that activate the laser plates in the main room to make getting out slightly less friendly.

The Derelict version changes this quite a bit. The omnipresent vines of biomass conquer the room,completely blocking off the left inlet at ground level while making a "Second floor" deck above it,and the vines make the right inlet accessible only via crawling/sliding in with style. Step on a plate,and trip the inlet laser plates,which,just like everything else in the Derelicts,malfunctions and run erratically on the rails. Wallrun up the wall,land on a vine on the "Second floor",then proceed across the antechamber,and step onto the balcony,and behold your prize,behind a wall of vines. Lockers galore! For me,they were all locked that I could see,but I just wanted to get in to make sure.

So,you make your way across the antechamber to the "Second floor" made entirely of vines. This is where my problem begins.

You seem to be 100% UNABLE to wallrun up the walls here. The game simply won't let you.

There's the corner on the entrance side that you seem to be able to wallrun up,but it's impossible to get a proper angle on the entry vent from there. And the entry vent on the other end of the room is plugged with vines.

I feel CHEATED. I KNOW I can get there. I got to tougher places with more insane feats of wallrunning. More on that later.

Why can't I wallrun up these walls? Are we not allowed to go up there? If so,then why let us up there to begin with,or plug that vent,too? If we are supposed to get up there,then what is keeping me from climbing up? Algae? Mold? Someone making a mistake with the navigation maps of the room?

There's a much more difficult to access loot room in the Void and Derelicts. Anyone here know that large generator tile? The one with a side-room with three doors and a pair of vertical tubes,which opens up into a massive vaulted room with three horizontal tubes? Elevator at one end,with a rotating door to the other? Anyone ever notice the ajar grate near the top of the room? I routinely visit that room. My friend with a Rhino got there before me and told me how to do it. And no,he didn't charge. And he had the Thrak equipped,and has NOTHING BUT TANK MODS. He's unkillable.

Such a disparity,wouldn't you say? I have taken twelve screenshots of the scenarios outlined above,and I want to post them here. I don't know how,so if anyone can tell me how to post those,I can give my screenshots and be more helpful.

Whee,it seems I'm not allowed to embed my screenshots directly from my Steam Screenshot Gallery. I'll just fire you off a link to my gallery. It's easier that way. All of the screenshots are annotated,so it shouldn't be too difficult to work out what each image is supposed to convey.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Riddle78/screenshots/?appid=230410

The two screenshots with the Loki I intended to use as a bug report,but,since it didn't impact gameplay,I decided not to.

That's not the issue. I can masterfully wallrun. It's the core of the game. However,it's that I cannot,under ANY circumstances,run up that PARTICULAR wall. I take a running start,nothing. Standing start? Squat. Try from an angle? Can't even wallrun horizontally. Nothing works. This has NOTHING to do with player skill. It's that somehow,the game thinks that wall isn't allowed to be ran on. Please,get your duckies in a row before making statements such as "lrn2play".

That's not the issue. I can masterfully wallrun. It's the core of the game. However,it's that I cannot,under ANY circumstances,run up that PARTICULAR wall. I take a running start,nothing. Standing start? Squat. Try from an angle? Can't even wallrun horizontally. Nothing works. This has NOTHING to do with player skill. It's that somehow,the game thinks that wall isn't allowed to be ran on. Please,get your duckies in a row before making statements such as "lrn2play".

I did get in tat room after some tries, and finished a wind tunnel too. If you are interested, it's in a video that I made. It probably wouldn't be very helpful, because it doesn't explain why I was able to wallrun there and you wasn't, but I have a theory (although I was lazy and didn't test it).

The thing is, every time I was able to wallrun at that spot, it was when wandering laser was near. So my thougts are: the walls here are "slimy" and Tenno can't make proper contact, but when fire beam is near, it becomes "dry" and thus can be climbed. 

If so, it would introduce a completely new technique to the game - surfaces with changing qualities, accessibility to wallruning in particular. It's interesting to see where it goes.   

Edited by Guiltytwo

ps: Loki and Nova both lol @void

unfortunately :/

all frames should be capable of completing secrets. 

but some of them, just seem 'have a teleport or leave'. 

I did get in tat room after some tries, and finished a wind tunnel too. If you are interested, it's in a video that I made.

ah, now i see how the Windtunnel is intended to be completed. the obvious way to complete the room is completely different. 

it looks like you should wallrun on those panels close to where you start in the room, and use the lift from the big vertical 'airtube' to go all the way to the platform on the far side. it's what i tried doing, anyways. that was literally all i could think of doing. 

seeing how the puzzle is intended to be completed, that's beautiful. but not obvious enough for a player to think of it. especially considering there is a time limit. if it's timed, players must be shown to some degree what they're supposed to do. not a tutorial or anything, but making it a little bit obvious as to how said parkour set is to be completed. 

the room which the OP speaks of, consisting of two tall walls with tunnels at the top, is a perfect example. you walk into the room, and you see that the only way up there, is those tunnels up high. they're something the game uses all the time, so they're obvious. wallrunning is also a commonly used thing, so then the logical thing is to wallrun up to those tunnels. 

simple, but makes you think. also using what players have learned in the game to problem solve. learning how the game is played, and applying it to new situations. 

memorizing a set of steps through failing many times is far less entertaining, and teaches the player nothing. it's the difference between teaching a dog a new trick, and rewarding it when it does pieces (and ultimately the complete trick) correctly; and punishing the dog every time it does it wrong. telling the dog it did it wrong is plenty, help it do what you want correctly, and everyone wins. 

edit: another example. auto spellcheck tools. they don't delete your word or close the program if you spell a word wrong, it points out that it doesn't recognize said word, meaning it's probably spelled wrong, and also suggests words that might be what you meant to spell. 

it doesn't execute you for doing it wrong, it helps you learn to do it right in the future. 

Edited by taiiat