Hydroid Tweak

z3us32610

I feel like Hydroid is a fairly underrated frame to play, and with a couple of quick tweaks he could be much better. I have been playing him frequently as of late and a couple of things come up when I do.

First, his 2 can be great for mobility but it tends slam into walls a lot (much like Zephyr's 1). If we were able to steer him a bit it would really make this ability much more useful. Currently, all we can do is pop his 3rd to stop it.

Regarding his 3rd, this ability feels like the most anti-DE ability in the entire game. It literally consists of sitting there. Sure you can grab enemies with a tentacle to pull them in but come on, that gets extremely boring fast. I don't know what to do with this ability but something has to change.

But when it comes to his 4th, I feel like it isn't unreasonable to be able to have 2 up at a time. Khora can have 2 of her Strangledomes up at a time and they have a huge grab radius. Hydroid's tentacles however are inconsistent at grabbing enemies, so at least being able to have 2 of them would help control more enemies. This might have to come at the expense of his 100% additional loot chance augment though, but I, along with many others, wouldn't welcome it. The tentacles really don't have a high chance of grabbing but if you lowered it to 75% chance at additional loot perhaps that would balance it.

Either way, if a tweak was made to his 2 and he got a more engaging 3, then he would be much more well rounded, leaving his 1 and 4 the same. I just can't for the life of me figure out what to do with an ability that turns him into a virtually immobile puddle.

i figured I'd write out my thoughts here in the Feedback section to see if I can find some other Tenno that have had similar thoughts about Hydroid. As you can tell, I'm not even all that sure about the change to his 4th ability, but making his 2 a more viable way a moving thru missions and changing his 3rd could very well turn him into an all around fun frame to play.

Have the same feeling as you but I would disagree with changing UnderTow or removing it as thats his thing you know. I don't play Hydroid but that seems to be the ability that pulls everything together. I agree with changing the movement of Tidal Surge- to me Tidal Surge and UnderTow could be combined with a better movement system-that seems like a more engaging ability to me at the very least.  And I agree with having his Tentacle Swarm recastable but it still has the problem of flinging things arounds the same way Zephyrs Tornadoes does and creating annoying scenarios for teammates. I forgot that the Tentacles has to grab, decreasing the chance of more loot from his aug for having a recastable 4th is a likely probability or maybe not. 

I kind of find his 3 entertaining on the basis that it's hilarious (and it recreates the scene from Terminator 2, just with a void magic based disappearing act involved) - but it'd be cool if you had tentacles that you could somehow choose who to grab from a distance, and then reel back into the void pool - sort of like a grapple hookshot type deal - which could be counteracted by enemies actually being aware of the hazard if they see their friends fall into it. It'd make it a little more interactive, and would add some incentive to sort of stealthily time when you suck guys in before you get exposed to anyone within visible range, which would cause them to flee or find another route. Just some food for thought.

You actually can grab enemies while in his pool

19 hours ago, Gnohme said:

I kind of find his 3 entertaining on the basis that it's hilarious (and it recreates the scene from Terminator 2, just with a void magic based disappearing act involved) - but it'd be cool if you had tentacles that you could somehow choose who to grab from a distance, and then reel back into the void pool - sort of like a grapple hookshot type deal - which could be counteracted by enemies actually being aware of the hazard if they see their friends fall into it. It'd make it a little more interactive, and would add some incentive to sort of stealthily time when you suck guys in before you get exposed to anyone within visible range, which would cause them to flee or find another route. Just some food for thought.

You actually can grab enemies while he is in his puddle. You just put the cursor over the enemy you want to grab and hit the fire button (default left mouse button on PC). It's actually kinda funny.

But yeah, maybe I should try to play him in his puddle form more. Maybe I'll do that next time I'm on and see if I can come up with a build that's fun. I haven't spent much time using his puddle form because it comes off kinds boring. But maybe I need to have another look at.

Either way, if he could be directed while in Tidal Surge and have 2 of his Tentacle Swarms up, I think just that would go a long way to making much more fun to use.

23 hours ago, z3us32610 said:

You actually can grab enemies while in his pool

You actually can grab enemies while he is in his puddle. You just put the cursor over the enemy you want to grab and hit the fire button (default left mouse button on PC). It's actually kinda funny.

But yeah, maybe I should try to play him in his puddle form more. Maybe I'll do that next time I'm on and see if I can come up with a build that's fun. I haven't spent much time using his puddle form because it comes off kinds boring. But maybe I need to have another look at.

Either way, if he could be directed while in Tidal Surge and have 2 of his Tentacle Swarms up, I think just that would go a long way to making much more fun to use.

Oh snap what!! I'm so dumb I thought I read the whole manual for that power. Guess I missed that! Thanks!