Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

TennoLive over, ''railjack'' thoughts?

Wicker-G041

Eh. I don't really want to play starfleet command and micro manage a starship while playing Warframe. It also seemed horribly solo unfriendly. I hope you can hire NPCs that just do the ship stuff well enough for you on their own and ignore most of that part of it and still farm whatever grindy thing they're certainly going to be adding to it. If you can do that and still play most of it solo I might end up caring about it. Given how even small things already in the game are so much more efficient in a group and how much micro management they seemed to be doing in the demo, I'm skeptical about how well it could work solo. Of course, half of what they were doing on the ship could have just been unnecessary given that Rebecca killed the boss while they were running around on the ship not able to do whatever it was they were trying to do.

I was most excited about one of the guns they briefly showed and the fat bakasura frame. Railjack doesn't appeal to me as looks too co op, and the Duviri trailer was too short to really have an input at the moment. 

I've always said there is so much they can add within the existing game, dungeons within current tilesets with scaling rewards etc, but DE unsurprisingly want to go bigger and attract more new players. Perfectly natural but doesn't entice me personally. 

Railjack seems to want to bridge the gap between the standard gameplay, Archwing, and now Railjack. I like the idea. As a pretty casual solo player, I actually enjoy the thought of a game mode based around the idea of a team working together to complete objectives all together. Team gameplay is utterly useless. It's just explode everything quickly. Now with separate objectives, we might have a need for more players in a squad. For solo players, they did say there would be automated systems that clans could build for use for solo players. The question is how difficult is it to acquire these systems? How much grind is behind it? I do have a close friend I know will hop into the ship with me so we could smash the content to get that solo stuff ready, but for those who don't, how will they get it? Railjack seems centered on a team working together and that is absolutely what this game needs. But I worry that the focus on teamwork may interfere with those who prefer to be a lone wolf. Time will tell how they handle it. I hope they do it right.

Enough with the hate...jeez. 
It's not even out.
SHUT UP and let the game do what it does.  IF..and this is a big IF, it fails, then it fails, but for now, those who have spoken to the devs, who have have taken the trouble to do some research into the build are waiting for this game changer to drop...  
We expect the game to blossom into something WONDERFUL.
... Before you say I'm blowing smoke up DE's kilts, I have been burned a few times by them, but they've always come through in the end. 

My 2 cents is that I like the idea of adding to the world in a non island fashion, to be sure. I seriously wonder how much of the player base is mostly solo play, and how much is co-op play. I'm an "in the middle" player myself. If I have anything serious I want to achieve, I do it solo. If I'm just putzing around having fun swinging swords, I do it in public missions, to show off my primo *kiss* skillz and investment.

I suspect that if most people play solo, what we've seen so far is going to go down like a lead balloon. If most people are like myself and co-op friendly, it would be a welcome addition to the game. I'd like to see an official poll with that information being collected on it.

Unless it has real good rewards, "Fish Team" will just keep fishing. I get the impression it will further dissociate solo players.  I solo play because those willing, or capable of multiple hour runs are rare. I'm confused by the 5 wave defense, and survival players that leave before mobs even hit 200.

I echo some comments here: I am similarly mostly disappointed.

It seems bloated and overly complicated. I don't see how the team can get through all the objectives without constant headset communication (sometimes I just wanna play without headsets and constant typing). I think I read somewhere before it was supposed to be solo'eable.  But after seeing the gameplay, I don't see how that would be possible.

While the summoning clan/alliance for the lich takedown seems like a cool idea, wouldn't that be disruptive? What if I want to continue to fish and decline the summon? Will I be outed in the alliance or worst, in here forums?!

I know WF needs to expand into new directions to keep it going, but I don't get the right vibes about this, just like I didn't get the right vibes when Lunaro was launched a while back.   Perhaps I'm wrong and too soon to tell.

Also, I thought there was also going to be a reveal about what the big reward(s) was for completing railjack? Did I miss something?

On 2019-07-06 at 8:00 PM, kazeyama said:

it is a huge resource investment that will ultimately engage players for a short amount of time and then be forgotten about or not played at all unless it is necessary. 

Like open worlds, oof 

Edited by Kimimoto

Spectacle aside, the demo left me with a main unanswered question that I think a lot of players were hoping to have answered:

What design element is there to let Railjack mesh with the core game?

The demo seemed like it was a standalone "island" as Steve described Plains and Orb Vallis, with no clear indication that Railjack would be a part or could be a part of regular game-play.

The 'squad-link' I may have to rewatch because my stream was pausing and skipping infrequently, so I may have missed a detail there.

So far it looks like a high-spectacle version of Archwing, on its own with its own systems and elements. I'll be active with it because I'm a sucker for 'bridge-crew' scenarios though..

On 2019-07-06 at 5:00 PM, kazeyama said:

It's been a year since last tennocon and nothing about the core gameplay of railjack seems improved or less clunky/complicated.

It does seem both clunky and complicated. I guess we'll have to play it and see if it's fun enough anyways (or, my guess, not as complicated as it seems).

If anything it seems like they added even more random stuff just for the sake of complexity. Some of those ui screens for all the various systems and having to somehow manually adjust everything in real time was giving me panic attacks just watching it.

I can see this point of view, but maybe the systems are intuitive enough to warrant the complexity? Or maybe the complexity is only surface deep? Maybe it won't end up being a problem? That's what I think. There are hundreds and hundreds of mods in the game, and for many of us, modding is second nature.

If there is some way we can get those npc crew members to do all of the mundane and seemingly pointless tasks on the ship for us that would be great. I would love to just hop in solo and raid ships, fly around without worrying about turning my shields on or failing a mission because a fire I forgot about caused my ship to blow up.

Based on their comments on DevStreams during the past year and comments during this demo, I do believe you will be able to get the NPCs to do the work for you. Steve said at least twice that this will be solo-able. Which is good news for me, too, since my clan is mostly dead.

Now assuming the squad link and the kingpin features are independent of railjack and can be used in normal missions on existing tilesets or in the open worlds then I am much more excited for those and it seemed like they were glossed over.

My assumption on this is that the Nemeses start out weak, and you can treat them like Eximi or field bosses, but once they've been resurrected more and more times they become more powerful, and eventually you need to bring the resources of your Railjack to bear in order to take them down. And the squad-link is when even your Railjack is not enough, and you need help from another squad on top of that (although Steve made it clear that the objective could be completed without the squad-link). I think your Nemesis is going to go through a progression and eventually you'll have to use everything you've got to take them down. Rebecca's had been killed 27 times and resurrected. I don't see you killing him with your warframe alone, at that point.

They didn't really talk about why would I squad link with someone other than being a nice person and how the rewards would be balanced and what sort of things I get from that. If opting in to squad link just gives me railjack resources I dunno how worthwhile that is going to be when you can just play railjack yourself. 

Players who don't like Railjack can get Railjack resources without playing Railjack, perhaps. Or maybe there will be exclusive resources and rewards you can only get by squad-link.

On 2019-07-06 at 9:25 PM, Viges said:

One of the biggest complains - guess what - host migrations. But now you can do it for TWO squads at once? Yay!

I don't think that's a concern. It's squad-link, not squad-merge. The two sessions are still separate, but the Space Team is tracking a single variable from the Fish Team – have they destroyed the generator yet? If something happens to the Fish Team, it doesn't seem like it'll mess up the Space Team, maybe just delay the generator being destroyed until they can reform their squad. That's how it seemed to me. If they start to get more ambitious and mesh the two missions together more, then there seems to be increased potential for bugs and issues.

On 2019-07-06 at 9:25 PM, Viges said:

Another story is how many "fish teams" are out there actually. Like how many people are sitting in their mission doing nothing, like F***NG really?

I assume they'll incentivise people to participate with rewards, and people will go to the Plains (or wherever) specifically to be the Fish Team. I certainly am going to do that a bunch for like the first week at least. But it does seem to be a long-term concern.

On 2019-07-06 at 9:52 PM, (XB1)Kavriel said:

The only thing that concerns me is that I'll never want to go back to the orbiter. Which by the way, why don't they just merge with the dojo? Isn't the orbiter supposed to be huge? Have the existing orbiter just be each player's room and have a door that opens into the dojo to eliminate that load, then replace the Liset with the Railjack for instant cohesion.

I'm feeling this too.

On 2019-07-07 at 2:23 AM, Kconvey said:

Player generated content for other players never works, it always winds up getting exploited or not used.....

??? What content here is player-generated? Do you mean the squad-link? Do you mean… the customisable Railjack ships? This comment doesn't seem to apply.

On 2019-07-07 at 4:55 AM, Teljaxx said:

They are trying to do too many disparate things in a single game. This may seem great at first, more things to do and more ways to play is awesome, right? But the reality pretty much always ends up disappointing, with each section basically being an inferior copy of something you could find in another, more focused game.

Obviously mine is not the only type of experience here, but, as a person who only plays 1 game at a time, I prefer games with many, many kinds of systems. I have never been disappointed by DE trying to take Warframe in a new direction. The more content there is, the more I'll play the game. It might take some getting used to Railjack and a whole new mode of play, but eventually I'll be having as much or more fun than I am now, and I look forward to that.

On 2019-07-07 at 12:57 AM, Olphalarepth said:

Because it only makes sense for clans with very few members or soloers since treating orbiters as extensions of the dojo would be catastrophic for clans of mountain tiers as it would require a massive multi level "dock" for hundreds of people coming and going all the time. Pretty much redo the entire geography of the dojo

I agree that it would make sense lore wise but the actual in game execution would be down right catastrophic in terms of resources

Not really. One door in the dojo, all orbiters connect to it. No need to make a separate dojo door for each member - kinda like the liset at the relays. They could even add a cool door in the orbiter to take the clan key to so it's not so intangible (some of my clan members had no idea they had to craft the key after they claimed it from the inbox).

Edited by (XB1)Kavriel

I very much like what the trailer and reveal and such put into my imagination.

My biggest concern is that ship names need to be longer than other object/item names.  Since it'll just be one per account, they can afford the extra space, surely?  Some of us got way into 40k or KSBD and need our ships to have badass long phrases for names.

Edited by Norfair.Remedy

Once we got past the trailer (I was impressed with the cg work, so thumbs up the team who did the work), but lets be honest wasn't much like real gameplay.... I was just like, I already know about all this....

Honestly apart from duvari (which we already knew was coming) and the 2 squads doing one mission bit (new but can see it having lots of issues) it basically felt like a repeat of the end of last year if I'm being honest plus some of the stuff we've been seeing in devstreams. 

Last year we had the railjack preview that was basically flying the big ship, walking around a bit inside and then going across to the other ship etc. 

This year we had them flying the big ship, walking around a bit inside and then going across to the other ship... just a bit more fleshed out. 

Essentially the big reveal was that they've been working on stuff they announced last year which still isn't done and that nightwave 2 and wukong prime are now available in game...

If I look at what was in railjack, all I could see was a slow moving ship with overly convoluted 'systems' (which ran out of energy when they actually needed it) just so it could support 4 players.  It also looks like it will be a huge resource/time sink due to upkeep, staffing (they said we could hire them so we'll like need to pay them), levelling, building etc and I have this feeling that getting the 'upgrade' modules will be rng or even worse another syndicate/focus style... I came to kill stuff, not micro manage my equipment, thought they'd have learnt that from kubrows/kavats....

In the demo I was like, ok it flies from point a to point b, or more accurate they've stuck a 'playable' loading screen in between missions ala PoE/OV but after that I was like why can't I just use the archwings, they're faster, more agile, you need them to get to the other ships anyway so why can't I just drop in like I normally would with an archwing mission..

The rest of the mission just felt like it was the same as usual just with an extra step added to 'force' the use of the ship, bit like how operators were added then 'forced' into use with the eidolons.

When we got to the new 'mini boss' all I saw was another boss with mechanics to make it take longer, not actually be fun to kill.

I've got to be honest, I'd rather DE spent some time giving existing tilesets more blocks to build from (so we had more variation) over adding in new systems that I'm not sure people will actually be that interested in.  It's all very well the game dev's liking something but as we've seen with things like lunaro and other stuff they've added, they don't always know what their players actually enjoy. 

Edited by LSG501

8 hours ago, (XB1)Kavriel said:

Not really. One door in the dojo, all orbiters connect to it. No need to make a separate dojo door for each member - kinda like the liset at the relays. They could even add a cool door in the orbiter to take the clan key to so it's not so intangible (some of my clan members had no idea they had to craft the key after they claimed it from the inbox).

Not an expert but wouldn't that still require loading times?