Load screens are so close to their demise!

(XBOX)Architect Prime

As someone who dislikes the immersion breakage of loading screens, I say "this is good". Even just masking the loadscreen as some kind of travel (I can't for the life of think of how it could work). That being said, Empyrian and the new engine look slick among the other epic teases and so on. Good work, DE. 

But I do have small nit pick: You have make the graphical gap between that new trailer and actual game as miniscule as humanly possible or people might feel a little bamboozled the first time they play. So hopefully that happens sooner than later. 

Peace

Edited by (XB1)Architect Prime

Empyrian is already masking loading screens with that hyperspace/subspace/warp/void travel interlude. Looking at the new tech with an eye towards how the game works already, Empyrean isn't actually THAT different from what we have now. Ship interiors appear to be static locations hosted outside the space arena and players teleport between them when entering and exiting no different from falling outside the map. It's the same system GTA 5 uses, and City of Heroes used before, of locations set deep underground but pretending to be the insides of vehicles. Back-end, not a lot seems to have changed. You pick a destination from the new Star Map and you warp there with the loading screen hidden behind the travel animation dodging clouds.

The beauty is how well the seams are hidden with graphics and transitions. I'm especially impressed with what I perceive to be projections into the windows of interior spaces. Portal did this years ago, placing invisible "portals" onto openings allowing the player to see into areas completely elsewhere on the map. The same could be accomplished here via using a simplified ship collision model and cameras attached to it projecting onto windows in a static off-site interior set. I mean, it's entirely possible that our ship interior is moving through real space with us in it, but if that's the case then we wouldn't need zone transitions when entering and exiting. Also, I'm not entirely convinced that Warframe is even capable of handling large moving pieces of terrain without causing juttering, clipping, sliding or internal rotation. Every single moving terrain object we could stand on has issues with these things, so entire moving ship interiors seem like a no-go to me.

Long story short, Empyrean is a much, MUCH better approach to exploring the solar system, with the game's inherent seams hidden pretty well behind good presentation. Now we just need a set of custom animations for entering and exiting vehicles so it doesn't look quite as jarringly buggy and we're set for an entirely new experience. Frankly, I'd like to replace the Star Map with this entirely, even if I have to use my Orbiter in place of the Empyrean.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Steel_Rook said:

Frankly, I'd like to replace the Star Map with this entirely, even if I have to use my Orbiter in place of the Empyrean.

Surely we can get a railjack style transition for moving the orbiter around and other transitions. And also adding the ship boarding mechanic as an interactive mission intro seems like a good idea too.

3 hours ago, (XB1)Erudite Prime said:

I don't know, man. Loading screens are nice to take a safe sip of water, eat a quick snack, etc. Masking then doesn't change much. 

I typically eat while playing. Though that might be harder if you're relatively new or something idk. You could always sip when the enemies are stunned, between waves, ect... I don't personally think that eating time is a thing DE should have to consider.

P.s. I like food too bro

13 hours ago, (XB1)Architect Prime said:

Surely we can get a railjack style transition for moving the orbiter around and other transitions. And also adding the ship boarding mechanic as an interactive mission intro seems like a good idea too.

Pie-in-the-sky hope here, but:

I really want to be able to pilot both my Orbiter and my Landing Craft like they piloted the Empyrean in the video. The Orbiter could still use the existing bridge controls and only travel to the general location, but I'd still like to manually pilot my Landing Craft and pick an insertion location myself. That way, a new player doesn't HAVE to have an Archwing or a clan, but can still use the space controls. In fact, I'd additionally love to spread space ship missions across multiple ships, with the player able to access airlocks, re-board their Landing Craft and insert into a different space ship within the same instance.

Mechanically, this is how it would go... We interact with Navigation in order to bring up the Star Chart. From there, we can either pick a planet to travel to, or a specific node on that planet. At that point, the Orbiter would rotate automatically and engage a void jump. Once at the planet, we board our Landing Craft and detach from the Orbiter. If a specific node was selected, the Landing Craft automatically engages a jump to that node. If not, we can bring up a map of the local planet and pick a node to jump to. Once on location, we pilot our cloaked landing craft, avoiding obstacles (debris, mines, sensors, enemies) on route to an insertion point. Getting close enough triggers a canned attachment animation, then fade-to-black-transition to your Warframe emerging from the hull, inside the ship. If you avoided detection, the mission starts as normal. If you were detected, the alarm is already going.

Once the mission is over, you find extraction and re-board your landing craft. You then have the option of boarding another nearby vessel or flying far enough away from the ship in order to jump. You can then jump straight to another node, or jump back to your Orbiter in order to return home. This is going to be hard to do with ground missions, obviously, but a loosely-detailed map of the ground on a planet can be created for the Landing Craft. Once players approach close enough to a structure, they fade-to-black-transition to landing at a specific ground tile.

I realise that none of this is actually happening, but that's what I imagine Warframe looking like if we transition to a fully interactive space travel system.

5 hours ago, Steel_Rook said:

Pie-in-the-sky hope here, but:

I really want to be able to pilot both my Orbiter and my Landing Craft like they piloted the Empyrean in the video.

I'd say the most realistic hope would be to choose where on the map you get dropped off. As for the orbited, probably "parkimg".