Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Simple Buffs to make Mag, Volt, Excal Trailer a Reality

Xzorn

I thought I'd share what I think are some easy tweaks to the current frame kits that will make them more interesting, function similar to the trailer we saw and improve some of their less than stellar abilities all at the same time. I think this should be done without the use of augments as well. Short and simple. Here we go wiki style.

tjpZf0v.jpg

PullModU15 Pull
ENERGY
KEY
Pull
Magnetic force pulls enemies toward you, stunning them and bringing them into melee range.
Strength:100 / 125 / 150 / 300 (damage)
10% / 15% / 20% / 25% (energy drop chance)
Duration:N/A
Range:15 / 20 / 22 / 25 m

• Add Hold and Release mechanic in addition to normal Pull.
  • Absorbs 100% of incoming damage affected by Ability Strength
  • Absorption Radius is a 3m frontal cone affected by Ability Range
  • Mag can absorb all incoming hit-scan and projectiles including area effects created by impact such as rockets.
  • On release; stored damage manifests a burst of energy in target direction affected by Ability Range
  • Damage can be stored by Magnetize130xDark Magnetize
  • Pull can now affect Polarize130xDark Polarize shards and when held will continuously collect nearby shards.
  • Polarize130xDark Polarize shards will be absorbed into the ability's total damage stored including modified damage bonus.
  • Energy Drain occurs while ability is held.
  • Activation energy cost is affected by Ability Efficiency, and energy drain is affected by Ability Efficiency and Ability Duration.

jGsUX2q.jpg

ShockModU15 Shock
ENERGY
KEY
Shock
Launches a shocking projectile. It stuns and deals high damage to a single target and chains damage to nearby enemies.
Strength:75 / 100 / 125 / 200 (damage)
Range:7 / 10 / 12 / 15 m (chain link range)
Misc:2 / 3 / 4 / 5 (chain links)
∞ (cast range)

• Ability can be held to increase damage output and will chain up to 2 additional times to nearby targets.
  • Shock additional chain distance is 5m affected by Ability Range
  • Activation energy cost is affected by Ability Efficiency, and energy drain is affected by Ability Efficiency and Ability Duration.
  • Charged Shock becomes Arc Current when targeting Static Shield or cast through Current Shield.
  • Electric Shield will store the damage done by Arc Current and manifest it's own Shock chain to nearby targets.
  • Enemies who come into contact with Arc Current Shield will suffer the highest stored damage tick with 100% status chance
  • Arc Shield will maintain it's bonus effects until it's duration expires.

8pvHIpb.jpg

RadialJavelinMod RadialJavelin
ENERGY
KEY
Radial Javelin
Launches javelins towards enemies, dealing high damage and impaling them to walls.
Strength:500 / 650 / 800 / 1000 (damage)
Range:15 / 18 / 22 / 25 m
Misc:5 / 7 / 10 / 12 (javelins)

• Damage is distributed evenly between Puncture b Puncture and Slash b Slash.
  • Damage is affected by the Melee Combo Counter
  • Has Innate enemy Punch-Through
  • Each Javelin has a 200% critical multiplier with a 15% critical chance and a 10% status chance
  • Crit Multiplier, Crit Chance and Status chance are affected by equipped melee mods.
  • Casting while Airborne causes Radial Javelin to perform a targeted slam attack before launching Javelins.
  • Targeted Slam attack counts as part of Radial Javelin's 1s casting time which can result in an instant cast after landing.
  • Each Javelin will produce an energy wave if Exalted Blade is currently active.
  • The waves behave identically to those of ExaltedBlade130xDark Exalted Blade.

I feel this would greatly improve the natural synergy in abilities of these frames while introducing new mechanics and play styles to them.  Nothing is forced and more paths are opened. As I mentioned I don't feel these features should be augments. The frames either don't have room or don't really deserve to have room taken.

Mag:  It's a bad idea to change Magnetize as it's a unique mechanic that helps Mag stand out. She could use some extra Defensive capacity these days with all the immunity going on as well. The new ability has synergy with Magnetize as noted but also Polarize and her Augmented Crush by locking enemies in place and forcing them to shoot from her desired direction.

Volt Additional Melee-ish capacity added. Less campy play style promoted through additional ambient CC while running with his shield. More potent targeted CC and damage output especially when targeting Electric Shield from a distance. Changes may have to be made to his Shocking Speed augment since it is now essentially built in.

Excalibur:  Made a non-scaling ability scale a bit and fit into a melee style of play instead of simply stand and cast. Increased synergy with Furious Javelins augment, Slash Dash well as Exalted Blade. Added some CC to the cast if airborne in addition to the current stagger effect to improve survival. Would also like to see Slash Dash targeting improved.

Edited by Xzorn
  • Like 5

19 minutes ago, MrTitan123 said:

Hopped over here from the other thread. You know the one.

love these ideas. I love Excalibur to death, but radial javelin and slash dash are kinda meh. Some improvements to him would make me a very happy Tenno.

Yea Slash Dash could use some targeting improvements though it does hit like a truck if you get some combo behind it.

Currently he doesn't really have mod space but you could use Surging Dash to gain combo in addition to normal strikes and Furious Javs to gain damage bonus. Ideally the Slam and stagger of Javs mixed with the immunity during a Slash Dash and both being affected by combo meter will give players more reason to use both. I would personally also remove the Energy cost of his sliding Blind with EB as well. It's really pointless.

13 minutes ago, Atsia said:

Isn't the ability mag uses Magnetize, not Pull? And isn't that pretty much how Shock works already, besides the charge mechanic, which I don't really care for.

I think changing Magnetize is a bad idea so instead went for adding an additional feature to an otherwise spam or never use ability.

Shock does work similar on it's own.It can hit and electric status up to 6 enemies. I essentially suggested a similar function to Hyrdoid where the area of effect, damage and number of targets are increased. The Shield interaction is also a charged up form of what Shock does to his Electric Shield. Currently using Shock on Electric Shield is just about pointless. Overall just attempting to improve his survival without camping behind his shield or spamming 4.

Could essentially remove the charge mechanic and just replace the shield mechanics for a similar outcome. Just less targeted CC.

On 2019-07-08 at 3:23 PM, Xzorn said:
  • Add Hold and Release mechanic in addition to normal Pull.
  • Absorbs 100% of incoming damage affected by Ability Strength
  • Absorption Radius is a 3m frontal cone affected by Ability Range
  • Mag can absorb all incoming hit-scan and projectiles including area effects created by impact such as rockets.
  • On release; stored damage manifests a burst of energy in target direction affected by Ability Range
  • Damage can be stored by Magnetize130xDark Magnetize
  • Pull can now affect Polarize130xDark Polarize shards and when held will continuously collect nearby shards.
  • Polarize130xDark Polarize shards will be absorbed into the ability's total damage stored including modified damage bonus.
  • Energy Drain occurs while ability is held.

The screenshot you referenced should just be buffing Magnetize. Not pull. Press and hold 2 (magnetize) to create a bubble shield a few meters in front of you, that absorbs bullets. Then quick tap to send bullets flying back at enemies.

But Pull itself can have a buff.

Quick tap 1 to forcefully yank enemies to yourself, like it does now. The change would be press and hold 1 to pull enemies at a slower speed so allies can shoot them as they levitate towards you, or an Excal can cut them as he did in the trailer

As for your excal changes. I count more than 12 enemies being hit by radial javelin in the video. I would suggest number of Javelins you shoot forth should scale with combo counter.

Edited by Xepthrichros

10 hours ago, Xepthrichros said:

The screenshot you referenced should just be buffing Magnetize. Not pull. Press and hold 2 (magnetize) to create a bubble shield a few meters in front of you, that absorbs bullets. Then quick tap to send bullets flying back at enemies.

But Pull itself can have a buff.

Quick tap 1 to forcefully yank enemies to yourself, like it does now. The change would be press and hold 1 to pull enemies at a slower speed so allies can shoot them as they levitate towards you, or an Excal can cut them as he did in the trailer

As for your excal changes. I count more than 12 enemies being hit by radial javelin in the video. I would suggest number of Javelins you shoot forth should scale with combo counter.

They could change Magnetize as a hold function. It just felt easier to alter Pull. Magnetize has it's cast limit and also the targeted augment which could conflict with using the new feature. If you happen to be facing a Magnetize bubble when you press + hold and it pops that bubble for the disarm augment.

Having a controlled Titania float might be useful for Pull though. Either works for me. I was thinking of the coding work or potential bugs & conflicts.

An increase in Javs thrown could work. My thought was that adding Exalted Blade waves into the ability when EB is out would aid with area coverage. I didn't want to make it too strong as an AoE move since it's damage output increased by around 800% with enemy punch-through and double chance to proc status with all the natural synergy going. 3x combo, crit / status mods, Bleeds ect. I was going for more potency over coverage even though the video is obviously a 360 AoE.

11 hours ago, Xzorn said:

I didn't want to make it too strong as an AoE move

Which is why I said for the number of Javelins to rise with combo counter.

My unfiltered version (i.e. my actual opinion that is not modified by nerf logic) would be to just flat out remove the javelin number cap and let him shoot as many as are in line of sight. 

Sounds good.

If I may add, it might good if DE upgrade the looks of the starter frames or at least do minor visual upgrade especially with the energy lines and accents allocation in line with newer frames (Khora as an example, looks really good even without Tennogen/Deluxe skin).

On 2019-07-08 at 4:14 AM, Xzorn said:

Yea Slash Dash could use some targeting improvements though it does hit like a truck if you get some combo behind it.

Currently he doesn't really have mod space but you could use Surging Dash to gain combo in addition to normal strikes and Furious Javs to gain damage bonus. Ideally the Slam and stagger of Javs mixed with the immunity during a Slash Dash and both being affected by combo meter will give players more reason to use both. I would personally also remove the Energy cost of his sliding Blind with EB as well. It's really pointless.

I think changing Magnetize is a bad idea so instead went for adding an additional feature to an otherwise spam or never use ability.

Shock does work similar on it's own.It can hit and electric status up to 6 enemies. I essentially suggested a similar function to Hyrdoid where the area of effect, damage and number of targets are increased. The Shield interaction is also a charged up form of what Shock does to his Electric Shield. Currently using Shock on Electric Shield is just about pointless. Overall just attempting to improve his survival without camping behind his shield or spamming 4.

Could essentially remove the charge mechanic and just replace the shield mechanics for a similar outcome. Just less targeted CC.

didn't they mention, when they where talking to the guy who made it in tennocon that it was going to be a magnetize augment?

On 2019-07-08 at 3:31 AM, MrTitan123 said:

Hopped over here from the other thread. You know the one.

love these ideas. I love Excalibur to death, but radial javelin and slash dash are kinda meh. Some improvements to him would make me a very happy Tenno.

Slash dash grants immunity to damage + increases combo multi by like 14... You can easily get a 5x combo multi for melee with him in under 10 minutes.

For Mag´s pull I think it would be cool to change it into grab (like Forcegrip in Jedi Academy). You could use them as a shield, throw them in any direction depending on your mouse movement or use them as guided object to knock down other enemies.

Edited by Arcira

16 hours ago, Arcira said:

For Mag´s pull I think it would be cool to change it into grab (like Forcegrip in Jedi Academy). You could use them as a shield, throw them in any direction depending on your mouse movement or use them as guided object to knock down other enemies.

That would be a good interaction for pull. You could grab and throw enemies into Magnetize as well.

My main goal is to have the interaction described as part of Mag's base kit. No Augment needed while also giving Mag more value in her other abilities. Pull, Polarize and Crush are kinda dwarfed by Magnetize so it doesn't seem like a good idea to further that ability anymore but rather accommodate it with her other abilities better.