Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nightwave "engagement" strategy is a failure

Smilomaniac

Having to grind through months long repetative tasks to get 3-4 exclusive items is not good content. Slots, Kuva, forma and creds are fine, but they're not interesting.
I can either do the tasks or do the content that *I* want to do, but since everyone else has the same choice and is gunning for the rewards, there's no incentive to play together doing something fun.

Destiny, World of Warcraft and dozens of other games are doing exactly the same strategy to raise engagement in order to get players invested and buy more premium currency, loot boxes or whatever, this is no different. If you want my money, then fine I'll pay a subscription or battle pass, just don't make me do your dragged out and low effort content for a couple of exclusives.

I haven't even started the nightwave and I am starting to resent how little you value my time. In my opinion you have crossed the threshold of bad developers and belong with the likes of Electronic Arts, Activision, Ubisoft and the rest of the marketing directed companies. Turn back before you've lost all of the goodwill of your audience.

While I would be doing the nigthwave fo the exclusives like the orbiter decor and the operator armor I do not really need them. I do think an idea for purchasing tiers to reankup faster in nigthweave using plat is good for profit on de's side i think they want this to be fair and not pay to win part. Its all fomo(fear of missing out) and that is why a lot of players do the challenges as fast as possible to not miss any change for standing, then you have another option if you dont like to do these challenegs now you can wait a few weeks and do the week challenges and then do the previous week challenegs as they added a new catchup thing so you can do them all if you put the effort and if you have time, another good way is to skip 2 days and the 3rd come on do the dailies and one or two weeklies or untill you feel like it and call it a day, its still porgress and think that carries to when you wanna continue it using catchup in the future weeks. Only problem with catchup is that you gotta do all the challenges from that week and it may be that annoying use 2 forma or gild a modular or something else thats equally annoying and once those are done then you can do the challenegs from past weeks

Honestly I just haven't felt like I've wanted to do nightwave 2.... I'm literally 'forcing' myself to do some because I want things like the umbra forma and other stuff an mr27 wants at the far end of the rewards... why they couldn't all be in the cred store instead and every week just gives you a load of creds I have no idea, there was pretty much unanimous approval for plague star rewards (you do more runs you get more stuff) and then DE basically just ignored it since outside the half baked arbitrations rewards...

The funny thing is that I wasn't a fan of nightwave 1, felt too much like a chore but did it because I wanted the goodies, nightwave 2 feels exactly the same as nightwave 1, arguably worse because there is less to pick from (I am still a strong supporter of MORE challenges to pick from not less). 

But because of ONE simple factor I didn't mind doing intermission, that one thing (and I was chatting with another clan mate who felt the same just today) that made intermission 'better' was the smallest of changes, the reward per challenge was higher so we actually felt rewarded for doing the chores, yes it would make it quicker to max out but it just made it feel better to do, return versus effort was better essentially.

To be honest unless it's a badly designed task like "Gild a modular item" I complete them more or less automatically. I just drained my syndicate standing for this PA, so I will be doing Syndicate missions anyways. Index is a maybe for when a credit booster drops from Sorties/Login and thankfully, with new prime toys I have something more or less meaningful to spend Forma on, so it's not like I have to go out of my way to do it. And I get some freebies for that, too. Not too bad at the end of the day.

What I'd REALLY like to see in Nightwaves is real elite challenges. Not the stuff I can do by headbutting my keyboard or chewing my gamepad, but tricky stuff worth A LOT of standing. Like, beating the Profit Taker solo under 10 minutes with all four Dragon Keys  equipped. Or capturing 5 Hydrolysts in one night cycle. You know, stuff you'd have to actually put some effort into? 

Nightwave itself is just terrible, in general it's basically WoW Dailys and just as uninteresting as they were... They demand you to go back and do content you really dont want to do, and jump through arbitrary hoops in order to get things you don't need. The worst part is, they put things in there that use to be fairly easy to get IE nitain and reactors/catalysts. Sure i hated having to use an alert manager to let me know when certain alerts were up, but here is the thing. I didn't feel like i had to live my life in the damn game doing thins S#&$. I popped in ran a mission or two and popped out. People have real lives or more importantly OTHER actual parts of the game to do... how do you expect us to farm wukong or get arcanes, or any of the end game stuff when i have to spend all my time doing this nightwave crap---that by the time i DO get free of the nightwave stuff i'm so burned out i just don't care anymore.

WoW Dailies are bad... Blizz has even admitted it but they don't know how to fix it... so crazy idea DONT follow that pattern... i quite for last few months since nightwave came out as it utterly destroyed my will to play the game... yea i wanted some of that stuff... i did but i also don't have the time to play all day either. 

Nightwave is trash, it needs to go... alerts did need an overhall BUT this was not the way to go about...the only issue with alerts was the timers being short, and the rewards being garbage... if you just had a set number of missions with good rewards that lasted 24 hours letting people choose what missions they wanted to go do for the stuff they needed at any given time--- that would have been ultimately better....

LIKE I DUNNO AN ACTUAL BOUNTY BOARD!

ugg i really hate nightwave... i like nora though... i like the stories i just hate the actual game mechanics.

2 hours ago, Smilomaniac said:

I can either do the tasks or do the content that *I* want to do,

Well, please do share what this content is. For me, someone who doesn’t really have a reason to login since I played and farmed everything, it gives me a reason to play different aspects of the game that already existed. People have always wanted a reason to come back and play weekly, a reason to login, a reason to do something, Nightwave is that reason, a reason to play the game that’s already there without adding more mindless new content 

1 minute ago, GinKenshin said:

Well, please do share what this content is. For me, someone who doesn’t really have a reason to login since I played and farmed everything, it gives me a reason to play different aspects of the game that already existed. People have always wanted a reason to come back and play weekly, a reason to login, a reason to do something, Nightwave is that reason, a reason to play the game that’s already there without adding more mindless new content 

Doesn't matter what, you'll have to live with the answer "whatever I want". I accept your point, but apart from overly dramatic and corny voicelines from Snorah Snooze, there isn't any meat to this "content bone".
The fix for people who have done literally everything is the same as it's always been: Be social and use the game as an excuse to play with them. You don't have to agree, but you didn't really bring anything to this topic.

9 minutes ago, Smilomaniac said:

Doesn't matter what, you'll have to live with the answer "whatever I want"

Then you'll have to live with NW? 

9 minutes ago, Smilomaniac said:

The fix for people who have done literally everything is the same as it's always been: Be social and use the game as an excuse to play with them.

Funny how you generalize all these people to 1 activity 

10 minutes ago, Smilomaniac said:

but you didn't really bring anything to this topic.

This topic isn't really bringing anything by itself, it's just a matter of different opinions here between what NW is and what you want. You're the exception here, not the rule 

3 minutes ago, GinKenshin said:

Then you'll have to live with NW? 

Funny how you generalize all these people to 1 activity 

This topic isn't really bringing anything by itself, it's just a matter of different opinions here between what NW is and what you want. You're the exception here, not the rule 

Aww I feel special now, thanks.

By all means, keep replying to bump my topic, I know types like you can't help but respond to anything they disagree with.

• Like 1

May I interject here?

As a person who kinda sits in the middle of the road on this one I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with nightwave.  The reason I love nightwave is because of the interesting stories that Nora tells, Nora's sultry sassy attitude, and besides just mulling in my orbitor on what to do next I can look at this little chorewave list and you know do something.  These are things that i believe should be built upon to make the Nightwave experience a bit more alive and interactive.

The things I hate about Nightwave is seriously the lack of depth to the stories and the use of still motion panorama's to tell the stories like I'm looking at the quest selection/recap/market screen, the fact that some of the acts are nigh impossible to solo at times, and some of the rewards need to be shuffled around.  What i mean by some of the rewards, I mean like the umbra forma having moved from 29 to 28.  As someone who came into Nightwave season 1 too late I'm shocked they decided to keep it that far into the back of the list.  In all honesty they should move it up to the halfway mark or around 20 so that people don't burn themselves out over it.  Most of the credit rewards and kuva rewards need to be moved into Nora's shop along with bundles of resources to help out starting players.  Yes this means that the amount of creds offered would have to either increase or increase in how many times you recieve creds through the ranks.

All in all I really want nightwave to work out for the better.  I know how horrible the alert system was as it took me 3 months to get Vauban all because his chassis alert happened everytime I was away from the console, but I also know the good the alert system brought as it provided you 1:1 ratio on what you got.  Saw a helmet run mission get said helmet. Need Nitain; run alert get nitain.  In that regard Nightwave will never get that low of a ratio of effort:reward because just getting to the first tier takes 10,000 standing.  For this first week the best way to even hit the first rank efficiently is to complete the Elite Sanctuary onslaught and kill 500 enemies with a dps frame.  All for 150 creds which in my opinion is still more work for 1 reactor/catalyst, more than justified for 50 nitain, cool for an entire warframe(if Vauban wasn't so in need of a rework), questionable for 3 alt helms, I mean you can buy out the aura mods so no complaints there.  

I have more thoughts on this but I feel like I'm rambling so I'm gonna stop there.

Yeah, nightwave is hardly engaging for me. I went from semi-regularly logging in and playing for a few hours, to actively avoiding the game,
all because nightwave makes me feel like DE expects me to show up for work. I like grindy games, but only when they allow me to grind at my own pace.

The biggest problem is that there is no creativity except from the background story, it doesn't fit into the game, where is different content already and it is not optional - I didn't even hear who was behind this idea. The biggest strength of this game is to pursue crafting - I finally got to the point where I can buy bps on open zones and I played the whole day - there is nothing else I would be happy with in this game. Sadly not only they obviously don't care about feedback, because they changed almost nothing, but all the whiteknights from Tennocon are now on anyone who is complaining, so that is what it will be here now? Instead of changing it - they will just bash down or hide comments from anyone who oppose them? 

Edited by Morndawn