Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tests on melee range

Koleykus

Hi. I hope I'm not offtopic here.

A friend recently made me notice that it was almost impossible to reach more than 15 meters range on a melee weapon.

We made some tests in Simulacrum with zaws and whips and the results where interesting.

For instance a Dokrahm zaw had a base range of ~4.5 meters. The expected value with maxed Primed Reach equipped should be of 4.5+4.5*1.65=~11.9 but instead it was of ~8.5 meters in our tests.

We got similar results with other weapons.

Does someone want to test this or has someone already done this recently? 

True, each move can have it's own range, but none of those moves on Dokrahm reach more than 14-15m. From calculations it should reach almost 22m: Primed Reach + Riven with 150% range + Spring-Loaded Blade. Instead of that I have 15m range. That's a big difference.

Reach increases the weapon's hitbox in all directions.

What you test when you strike an object is the hitbox from your arm to the object. On a sword for instance. The entire weapon is the hitbox including the hilt and the width of the sword. As result some of the 165% is not being applied to the weapons length from your arm. It's making the overall hitbox of the weapon 165% larger.  This used to be much worse in that it would go equally in all directions but a while back was improved to enlarge more towards the business end.

It's also important while testing to not use different attacks and usually best to just remove the stance.

I can tell you the reach of most weapons just because I've tested so many of them. Dokhram Heavy Blade with P. Reach is 10m where as most Heavy Blades are 7m. Hammers vary drastically. Probably the most in the game with Jat / Volnus being on the high end. Polearms vary a bit as well. Zaws and Orthos Prime at 10m while Lesion and Pupacyst are considerably lower. Dual swords seem to be static, well as Nikanas, 1h swords, claws, ect. That or the difference is simply too small to measure.

It is possible for DE to put a reach stat in. I'm not sure why they haven't Yes stances can alter the affected area but the hitbox of the weapon is static. I feel if they just simply stated that Reach includes the total hitbox and not the actual "Reach" of the weapon players would be fine understanding the values.

On 2019-07-11 at 2:49 AM, Xzorn said:

What you test when you strike an object is the hitbox from your arm to the object.

So go with your thinking...  i have -100% range (in riven) and i dont hit nothing.. so that mean i dont have hands? 😂