Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nightwave math

DrakeWurrum

So among a lot of the criticism about Nightwave, I'm noticing one over-arching theme: people feel forced to do it, primarily because they don't want to miss out on the rewards. Everybody is suggesting that they have to do every Act, and that this forces them to spend a lot of time playing the game doing things they don't actually want to do.

Well, I think the "time spent" part of that argument is laughable alone - seriously: you can knock out the whole thing in a Saturday afternoon, over 2-4 hours tops. It goes faster if you just get a buddy to grind it out with, helping each other out (I have my wife, so that works out well for me). However, I think I can provide some concrete numbers here to help you understand that you do NOT have to do every Act.

Let's assume the goal is to reach rank 30. Past that all you get is Cred - and the Cred Offerings will show up for every Nightwave Series, rather than disappearing when the Series is done. Get it if you want, but let's face it, rank 30 is what everybody is sweating over.

As each rank of Nightwave is 10k standing, rank 30 requires you to reach 300k standing before the 10 weeks are up. (Let's just assume they do stop RIGHT at 10 weeks - September 13th)

10 weeks of Acts. Each Elite Weekly Act is 7k. Each normal Weekly is 4.5k. And each Daily is 1k.

Every week you get 2 Elite Weekly Acts, 5 normal Weekly Acts, and 7 Daily Acts (they go away after 3 days).

This means that every week you can get:

• 14k standing from the Elite Weekly Acts
  • 22.5k standing from the normal Weekly Acts
  • 7k standing from the Daily Acts

This means that over 10 weeks of Nightwave you can get:

• 140k standing from the Elite Weekly Acts
  • 225k standing from the normal Weekly Acts
  • 70k standing from the Daily Acts

Total standing possible: 435k (So rank 43)
Each individual Nightwave week, in total, is worth 43.5k standing.

This means that if you so choose, you could choose to skip all but one of the Elite Weekly Acts, just for an example. Or you could choose to skip 3 of the 10 weeks of Nightwave entirely. Yes - you can skip 30% of this Nightwave series and STILL expect to reach rank 30. You could choose to ignore every single Daily Act, do all the Weekly Acts, and still way over-shoot your target. You could skip the normal Weekly Acts for SIX weeks in a row, but do all the Elite Weekly and Daily Acts, and you'll still hit rank 30 (barely). Mix and match for fun, if that's your thing.

THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART
Keep in mind with all of that being said: If you miss or skip an Act, it gets put on "Reserve" - and once you clear any following week of Nightwave of Acts, you will start seeing Reserve Acts show up. If you miss Acts one week, you will get more chances to finish them later. This means if you choose not to log in for 6 weeks, you can come back and RUSH RUSH RUSH through the Acts, and catch up to where you "should" be if you had been playing the whole time. (If I'm understanding correctly, but I think only one Act of each type can be Reserved?)

I'm not saying the Nightwave is perfect. I'm simply providing some numbers to help keep this whole thing in perspective. Worth noting: There were people in Series 1 Nightwave who hit rank 60, and even had some extra standing past that (but 60 turns out to be the final cap). I hit rank 46 myself. The main difference is that we could kill the Wolf's Fugitive buddies for extra standing, and they spawned A LOT. This time, we only have friendly Devotees, so nothing we can kill for extra standing.

Edited by DrakeWurrum
  • Like 12

People are always dramatic. It's just a matter of listening them when justified, and ignoring when not. Not that some claims and situations aren't justified regarding Nightwave. But even then it's mostly a matter of git gud or ask for help from someone willing to do so.

But thank you for clearing it up with all the math. Despite not fearing it, my mind does rest easier knowing it for sure.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DrakeWurrum said:

THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART

Keep in mind with all of that being said: If you miss or skip an Act, it gets put on "Reserve" - and once you clear any following week of Nightwave of Acts, you will start seeing Reserve Acts show up. If you miss Acts one week, you will get more chances to finish them later. This means if you choose not to log in for 6 weeks, you can come back and RUSH RUSH RUSH through the Acts, and catch up to where you "should" be if you had been playing the whole time. (If I'm understanding correctly)

Providing it works.  Last nightwave (intermission) The "Do 3 forma" got pulled out of "Reserve".  The forming I did at that point never counted.

1 minute ago, OneYenShort said:

Providing it works.  Last nightwave (intermission) The "Do 3 forma" got pulled out of "Reserve".  The forming I did at that point never counted.

Was that feature in effect for Nightwave Intermission?

Edited by DrakeWurrum

3 minutes ago, DrakeWurrum said:

Was that feature in effect for Nightwave Intermission?

Yes.  It was part of the first wave of it.  I got 2/3 done.  Real life took over and didn't complete it.  Next wave started.  Completed all of them which pulled "Do 3 forma" out of reserve into active.  2/3 complete right were I left it.   Forming never counted.  *shrugs*  Was able to do missions and got the full set of stuff offered by Intermission, but as you know....  Game issues just suck.

Edited by OneYenShort
clarity of last sentence

3 minutes ago, OneYenShort said:

Yes.  It was part of the first wave of it.  I got 2/3 done.  Real life took over and didn't complete it.  Next wave started.  Completed all of them which pulled "Do 3 forma" out of reserve into active.  2/3 complete right were I left it.   Forming never counted.  *shrugs*  Was able to do missions and got the full set of stuff offered by Intermission, but as you know....  Game issues just suck.

Well hopefully they remove the Forma challenges anyways. They've already confirmed the gilding challenge is gone after this week.

5 hours ago, DrakeWurrum said:

Well hopefully they remove the Forma challenges anyways. They've already confirmed the gilding challenge is gone after this week.

Really?  Sweet.  

Somewhat worried about what they're replacing it with. 

33 minutes ago, MagPrime said:

Somewhat worried about what they're replacing it with. 

probably nothing good lol. "complete 10 Archwing Missions", or "build and place 100 Dojo decorations" or something...

nice that Gild Challenge is going, I don't mind doing it, but once they're built I don't wanna get rid of them and then slots may become a problem. either way, not stopping until rank 30 because that Operator suit is AWESOME!

13 minutes ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

probably nothing good lol. "complete 10 Archwing Missions", or "build and place 100 Dojo decorations" or something...

nice that Gild Challenge is going, I don't mind doing it, but once they're built I don't wanna get rid of them and then slots may become a problem. either way, not stopping until rank 30 because that Operator suit is AWESOME!

Don't give them ideas!  What are you doing?!

100% on the suit though.  I have a mighty need!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DrakeWurrum said:

light rip from me that challenge actually got me to bother with modular weapons since im so indecisive on how to build one 

too many part options ya know just like hmm what to do and i'll fiddle with all of them and never come to a decision 

challenge was my "ok brain we need to build on just pick something" 

4 minutes ago, MagPrime said:

as the dojo architect and master of decoration and renovation of rooms in my clan i welcome those challenges

i do agree on the suit  

Spoiler

1 minute ago, seprent said:

light rip from me that challenge actually got me to bother with modular weapons since im so indecisive on how to build one 

too many part options ya know just like hmm what to do and i'll fiddle with all of them and never come to a decision 

challenge was my "ok brain we need to build on just pick something" 

as the dojo architect and master of decoration and renovation of rooms in my clan i welcome those challenges

i do agree on the suit  

Reveal hidden contents

I'm more concerned with the AW part.  After the updates it got a couple years ago, AW gives me motion sickness and I can't play too long. 

When it first came out I enjoyed it but the current version, huge hurkin nope.

5 minutes ago, MagPrime said:

I'm more concerned with the AW part.  After the updates it got a couple years ago, AW gives me motion sickness and I can't play too long. 

When it first came out I enjoyed it but the current version, huge hurkin nope.

have you turned off experimental flight mode? 

i think its turning it off i cant remember 

but even my approach to the task would be how i do the 150 with X but instead of going to teshub the level 10 void exterminate with 100+ people i go to venus for a low level archwing exterminate with my elytron and play some fallout 3 GNR and start showing the corpus a nuclear winter their no threat to me and i can just cruise though at my own speed since some mission can make me sick if i go to fast sometimes

Edited by seprent
lack of sleep setting in
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, seprent said:

have you turned off experimental flight mode? 

i think its turning it off i cant remember 

but even my approach to the task would be how i do the 150 with X but instead of going to teshub the level 10 void exterminate with 100+ people i go to venus for a low level archwing exterminate with my elytron and play some fallout 3 GNR and start showing the corpus a nuclear winter their no threat to me and i can just cruise though at my own speed since some mission can make me sick if i go to fast sometimes

I'll give that a try.  Generally don't mess with settings, so good chance I haven't touched that.

Thanks!

Edited by MagPrime
Go take a nap

Just as a suggestion maybe we can post the quickest way to do some of the acts.

For example the acts that ask for 150 - 500 kills with or without an elemental type or the collection of 5 - 8 rare mods - I do on Salca (archwing) in Neptune, usually on the first run and in a group.

8 hours ago, DrakeWurrum said:

Let's assume the goal is to reach rank 30.

Its not.....atleast not for me...

The goal for me is to aquire more Potatos and Nitain.... so unless theres no prestige like Night Wave Intermission we are forced to do every challenge....

1 hour ago, Lutesque said:

The goal for me is to aquire more Potatos and Nitain.... so unless theres no prestige like Night Wave Intermission we are forced to do every challenge....

Well I mean, along the way you will get some Cred. I intend to go past 30 as much as I can, because I too could always use more potatos.

I'm simply trying to address the FOMO people have, stressing out over trying to reach those sweet cosmetics.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DrakeWurrum said:

I'm simply trying to address the FOMO people have, stressing out over trying to reach those sweet cosmetics.

Unfortunately that's not going to work. You're using logic, common sense and very basic arithmetic. FOMO in warframe is, by definition, irrational. The people who exhibit the worst FOMO (or like to pretend that they do) are, by nature, highly irrational. 

Last time around we were told "you only need something like 60-65% of the total standings to make it to tier 30". Some people were able to make it to tier 60!

People were claiming that they didn't/wouldn't have thought to do the math, to see what they could skip. They didn't grasp that they needed 300k out of (at least) 427k, or that this meant being able to skip quite a few challengers every single week. (427k was a worst case scenario based on a strict interpretation of '10-ish weeks', and the first being a short week, missing some of the dailies.) 

It was so bad that you could have straight up made predictions about who was going to show up, complain about being forced to do chores/burn out , hit prestige ranks before the vast majority of players, buy a butt load of potatoes, and then talk about not being able to buy nitain (that they didn't buy because they had no need). 

As an example:

1 hour ago, Lutesque said:

Translation: I am doing this to myself because there is something that I want, and I don't understand what the word "forced" really means, so I will complain about being forced to do something that I am doing because I want to do it. 

Don't be surprised that to see similar posts coming from the same people who make posts like: "x weapon/frame/feature" is "rubbish", an opinion I hold, probably because I saw a YouTube video that suggested that there's an alternative 'flavour of the week' that someone suggested is "godlike/ all I would ever need/ the best thing ever", despite any evidence to the contrary. 

9 hours ago, DrakeWurrum said:

awww the gild was so easy tho  just pick up a kitgun lvl it up 1 time and donate it back. The cost and standing was nothing when you have exploiter orb. Rather they replaced the forma challange where you need to lvl stuff 3 times instead.

I need question about old nightwave if in going to playe wolf alerts,im I going to have all challenges to finish in 1 day to max 30 or I need weekly like before and like what we have on this new nightwave alert???

4 hours ago, MagPrime said:

I don’t need that suit.  I just want it. (Furiously completes 100% of week 1 nightwave on vacation using wife’s work phone and hotspot).

What?  DON’T YOU JUDGE ME! 

*snarls*....mY pRecIUOS... we WANTz iT...

Edited by (PS4)Silverback73