Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What do you think is Warframe's biggest competitor?

Archimedes01

Many have rised to challenge Warframe, none succeded but ironically it made Warframe more popular. I could safely say Warframe has no real deal competitor at the moment. But Destiny 2 (base game) going Free to Play might spark the competition again.

• Like 9

Honestly there isnt a game out there that can compete.

maybe...and this is a big maybe...

destiny just because its a AAA game, and is a space looter shooter. But i wouldnt call it a threat at all 

Also destiny 2 is going freetoplay in september

Edited by (XB1)Salty Ginger

Mmmm... Basically any online looter game is competition, not just looter shooters, but if I had to guess? Borderlands 3, for now. Destiny is probably bigger once Borderlands 3 is released and the hype fades out.

Looters that try to compete:

• Diablo
  • Destiny
  • Anthem (though, erm... it's dead)
  • Path of Exile
  • Destiny 2
  • Borderlands (people STILL play the 2nd game!)
  • Tom Clancy's The Division 2
  • Torchlight? (unsure)

I dunno what the verdict is on Vindictus, but I feel like it competes with Warframe on some level. It's been a while since I played it, though.

• Like 4

Destiny 2 is the de facto competitor, also being a sci fi loot shooter.

A more comparable competitor right now is probably BDO, which has better graphics, and the introduction of its first support class to boost it.

A more long term competitor would be a Japanese loot shooter, so Phantasy star, Soulworker, or others of the genre.

Given a few more years of development... maybe Kurtzpel?

Honestly everything out on the market today follows the Borderlands/"WoW with guns" approach.  "Find the green arrows!  Good... now find more green arrows!"

Warframe is unique in that the movement is stellar, and the game WANTS you to power trip.  The modding system throws out traditional leveling and seeking a better version of the very rifle you've been using for the past few hours in favor of mod customization (most people dump all the damage into their stuff, but the system does allow One to turn a magnum into a beretta,) and has a breadth of activities, instead of just new expansions that raise the level cap and new raids that raise the ilvl. 

The carrot on the stick is going to lure people to try out stuff, but if your development plan is to simply pump out new maps with even bigger carrots on a stick guarded by guys with yet another zero tacked onto their health pools, you're in trouble.  DE knows what it's doing with Warframe - the pursuit of "endgame" as people seem to define it is a development dead end and a doomed race to keep ahead of players that will chew through months of work within hours of release.  Can't say any other developer has really recognized this and have opted to just keep it simple because "dur... everyone else is doing it!"

Edited by Lost_Cartographer
  • Like 8

18 minutes ago, Lost_Cartographer said:

Given a few more years of development... maybe Kurtzpel?

Honestly everything out on the market today follows the Borderlands/"WoW with guns" approach.  "Find the green arrows!  Good... now find more green arrows!"

Warframe is unique in that the movement is stellar, the game WANTS you to power trip.  The modding system throws out traditional leveling and seeking a better version of the very rifle you've been using for the past few hours, and has a breadth of activities, instead of just new expansions that raise the level cap and new raids that raise the ilvl.  The carrot on the stick is going to lure people to try out stuff, but if your development plan is to simply pump out new maps with even bigger carrots on a stick guarded by guys with yet another zero tacked onto their health pools, you're in trouble.

This.

And because core combat is “Quintessential Warframe”, the community and the devs, and the evolution that the industry demands to maintain the f2p business model mean that expansion beyond what makes Warframe great is the very thing that is both necessary for financial survival and a potential threat to it’s survival.

Warframe needs to ever-build upon it’s own greatness and evolve without losing what made it great in the first place.

“Looter-shooter” Progression through choice, both through classic, old-school game modes as well as new needs to be maintained while still incentivizing people to voluntarily put money into the game.

DE needs to make sure not to alienate/invalidate the paying, veteran player base by excluding choices that existed in the game players fell in love with.

But neither can they ever be content with “as is”.

Warframe must always maintain it’s roots and seamless progression through enjoyment even as evolution, change and growth are needed to survive.

Edited by (PS4)Silverback73

1 hour ago, Archimedes01 said:

It could turn out to be the fiercest competition Warframe will ever face.

The fiercest competition Warframe will ever face is the development time for Empyrean and the New War.

• Like 2

Seeing as Warframe is very similar (and it always perplexes me why no one ever draws the comparison) to the OG PSO, I'd say PSO2 is a pretty decent thing to be scared of. 

That said SEGA already burned through a metric ton of good will and lost a lot of potential players when they went radio silent for as many years about releasing PSO in the west. Plus it's apparently being sponsored by Microsoft so I'm expecting Xbox and probably Windows 10 (god help them if they lock it to the OS tho) exclusivity. In which case PSO2 is probably pretty dead in the water after a short time. 

• Like 1

The thing about Warframe is that it's so broad and unique that it's difficult to really directly compare it to anything, especially if you want to compare it closely enough to establish a competitor. I really can't think of anything that incorporates elements of so many genres. It's a big sprawling amalgamation that is the product of crazy Canadian weebs furiously throwing spaghetti at a wall and seeing what sticks, and said weebs are talented enough that the result of this madness is beautiful

When I see Destiny trying to borrow from Devil May Cry and Pro Skater 3 at the same time, then I'll ring the competition bell. 

• Like 2

What do you think is Warframe's biggest competitor?

In order to figure out what Warframe's competition is, you must first identify what Warframe provides. Then you must realize that not all players care about the same things the game provides, therefore for different players the potential competition will be different.

For example Warframe is Free to Play. To those, that don't care about the specific aspects of Warframe, every Free to Play game out there is a potential competition.
For a player, that can afford to buy any game he wants  and doesn't care about the specific aspects of Warframe, literally every game out there is a potential competition.

Now, let's look at what Warframe does provide, that other games do not, or very few other games do.

Loot, Grind and Trading
Warframe is a looter, it can be grindy, but you can compensate for that through trading. Unfortunately, very few games that I know of can compete with that.
Diablo 2 from the year 2000, and more recently Path of Exile. These are grindy, but have trading, so you don't have to find everything yourself, but you can compensate for bad luck through trading.
This for me automatically excludes most MMOs out there (regardless of how often I see Warframe being compared to MMOs for some reason), because usually they don't allow for endgame gear to be traded.
However, for someone who doesn't wanna participate in trading or doesn't want trading at all, many of those can be considered competition.

Fast, fluid combat and  movement through the levels
IMO no other game can compete. Feel free to point out similar games, but personally I can't think of any.

Difficulty
I personally don't mind if a game is hard or easy. I have played Warframe when it was considerably harder than it is nowadays, and I play it now.

However, I recognize, that there are players, who miss the times when the game was more challenging. Therefore, to them any game, that provides difficulty similar to the one they were used to is a potential competition.

How fast you can max a character
to a newer player, that can take considerably longer period of time.
However, to someone Mastery 20+ with maxed mods, you can level and re-level (format) a Warframe within a day.

If that's what you like (being able to max out a character within a day, given that you have the mods), again MMOs are not for you, considering, that merely leveling a character to max level can take weeks and even months.

Things like that, I'm sure you get the idea.

tl;dr: I don't think one can safely conclude which games out there compete with Warframe. Personally, I haven't found another game, that incorporates so many aspects from other games so well, the way Warframe does.
At this point in time, I see Warframe in light similar to how World of WarCraft was seen back in the day (like 10 years ago). Many people speculated about so called  "WoW Killer" games, predicting, that these games will be the real WoW competitors and will lead to the game losing it's player base... all these games failed miserably.
IMO, at this point in time, only Warframe can hurt Warframe. If the devs start making bad and nonsensical design decisions, the player base will shrink, and there will be those, who would like to play an older version of the game (in a similar manner as to what happened with WoW).

Edited by Noxifer
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Archimedes01 said:

Phantasy Star Online 2, coming in spring 2020, is my candidate.

It could turn out to be the fiercest competition Warframe will ever face.

can i get the spark notes of this to read later i need to make alot of pasta rn

I've been playing PSO2 on the Japanese servers because like... they waited 7 years to localize it, and I'm not so sure it'd be much competition, since the gameplay between it and warframe are pretty apples to oranges which is why I play both, because they both offer different things. Even though it's f2p, and has a more cosmetics based freemium model instead of pay to win, I'd still say it's not as friendly as Warframe's f2p model as well. Even though it's still being updated, it is also aging as well which may be a turnoff for some

4 hours ago, peterc3 said:

Why is a 7+ year old game being released in the West suddenly going to challenge Warframe?

TBF, isn't warframe like 6 years old itself? and considering that game is a live service (i think? legit don't know much about it) i wouldn't be surprised if its been improved over time as well or even just now gets a serious touch up since its relaunching.

• Like 2

Nothing in terms of Warframes type of gameplay. It's quite unique. 

Other games that will likely steal most of my attention at some point are completely different types of games. Cyberpunk, Elder Scrolls 6, and Star Citizen, are examples that I will spend months or years in whenever they release.