Whispers in the Walls: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Please bring Warframe to the Mac

GinaViVi

5 hours ago, ZoneDymo said:

Im doing this from OP's perspective, since OP made the topic.
OP is "simply" asking for the game to be ported to the Mac, unaware of what that might require on the devs part.

Its a simple request.

If my car is not working and I dont know whats up and im completely ignorant towards how a car works, I would go to a garage and "simply" request that they fix it.
It has no baring on the complexity of the job, how could it have? I have no concept of what must be done.

And yet that mechanic still has to explain to you the complex problem and why it has to be done regardless if you understand or not. There is no simple answer in this regard.

• Like 1

As much as I am not a lover for mac or apple related hardware. It would be nice if Warframe could release there. Unfortunately from last time I checked mac eco structure makes it very hard for windows programs to fluently run without problems.

Until mac makes their programs more friendly to other operating system(which will never happen its a money making business) or someone makes a interface/medium that makes mac able to interface through that medium and speak to windows through that same medium and not draw a nil valve or other words crash. 

Even if demand was their that is a lot of work for DE to make a mac able version 

So unfortunately as others have said your in for a long wait. 

6 hours ago, ZoneDymo said:

The request is simple, port the game to the Mac, that is all they are asking, no specifics.
The act of it might not be, but the request is.

Apart from that , I dont think either of us has any idea how complex it would be, a Mac uses standard PC hardware so its "just" a matter of figuring out the OS.

Doesn't matter if the request is simple. He is here on general which either means he wants a discussion about it or he is in the wrong forum requesting something of the Devs, which none of the community here can answer for him.

But they can try to explain why this is not possible, even if no proof offered, one thing is clear is that this is not a simple answer, and the OP needs to understand that. Just because it would be more convenient for him is not a valid reason in hindsight of this issue.

Then there is that Mac is moving back to their original superior architecture  which means by the time anyone does figure out how to port it, it will be to little to late. 

Lastly, I say F Macs, it's not worth the time and effort to do this.

5 hours ago, Xenox_Ilz-ot said:

Oh yeah, sorry, I feel stupid now >< English is not my main language

Wait, so you are all blah blah blah about them debating off topic but then now your doing the same thing with your language blab, which obviously is not that bad as I'm sure you already realize this, because you're typing it better than many natives. And now I've just contributed to this spam.

Edited by Darkholde

7 hours ago, (XB1)Cubic Clem said:

Where is your proof of these words? I'd like to see/hear it.

Are you still following me to make silly posts? Thank you.

Proof to what? To what Steve said? Or to the part of the mac audience?

Just read articles like: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2017/4/4/15176766/apple-microsoft-windows-10-vs-mac-users-figures-stats

Windows is dominating ever since. And games are ported to Windows and not to Apple's OS. Show me the proof that games get ported to Apple's OS more often. 😉

Edited by WhiteMarker

AS it was their moto, "THINK DIFFERENT".

Yay the elitist despised PC but they're still jealous of our gaming superiority.

Well, your choice, time to buy a cheap PC then if you can't live with the fundamental precepts of mac sect.

5.jpg

• Like 1

It would be nice if warframe is on Mac too , I have now two Macs ... the iMac I got from art studio when it closed down... it has an i7 and its memory can be upgraded to 32GBs... but its an Nvidia GPU has 1GB memory.. Where I have a desktop PC/Hackintosh also but its only 16GB RAM, i3 but an Nvidia GPU of 2GB memory.. so it appears the PC may be better for gaming while the iMac best for rendering art. But it would be nice to log in and play on both platforms if one of the computers are busy doing something.

You can play warframe in bootcamp, I used to do this on my MacBook Pro before I got my PC/hackintosh.. but I also recommend gaming in a desktop tower... as its easier and more cheaper to repair (and you can do it yourself)  if something should go pop and not have to worry about waiting for week+ at Apple store or hoping your AppleCare hasn't expired... where the cost of parts are expensive.

But can this game run in Linux ?

14 minutes ago, Cosmic_Elf said:

It would be nice if warframe is on Mac too , I have now two Macs ... the iMac I got from art studio when it closed down... it has an i7 and its memory can be upgraded to 32GBs... but its an Nvidia GPU has 1GB memory.. Where I have a desktop PC/Hackintosh also but its only 16GB RAM, i3 but an Nvidia GPU of 2GB memory.. so it appears the PC may be better for gaming while the iMac best for rendering art. But it would be nice to log in and play on both platforms if one of the computers are busy doing something.

You can play warframe in bootcamp, I used to do this on my MacBook Pro before I got my PC/hackintosh.. but I also recommend gaming in a desktop tower... as its easier and more cheaper to repair (and you can do it yourself)  if something should go pop and not have to worry about waiting for week+ at Apple store or hoping your AppleCare hasn't expired... where the cost of parts are expensive.

But can this game run in Linux ?

I am not sure there is "officially Linux support" from DE but it is possible. Since Linux is built with Windows in mind unlike mac. 

On 2019-07-12 at 10:14 AM, GinaViVi said:

i realize that but as it is the only system i have for gaming at the moment i would love to be able to play warframe on it

Many games simply can't be run on Mac due to Apple not supporting many of the basic tools devs need to bring games to it. I'd imagine it simply wouldn't be practical to make a port nor would enough people play it to be worth the cost to produce and keep current.

• 5 weeks later...

I don't feel comfortable using bootcamp, as windows with all additions always has some CPU boost issues on Macs. Well anyhow, I believe the players waiting for an OSX release are more then you can imagine. As seen on other games, they always gained a lot of players moving to Macs. Of course not as many as Windows Gamers (so if there are 4 times more by being 50 million, how much is a quarter of players more worth?), but still enough for profit. And not to forget: Hardware equally powerful - using openGL and Vulkan - no new "Game" required.

Edited by BananaAcid

On 2019-07-12 at 11:00 AM, GinaViVi said:

i love playing warframe, but i am stuck on a mac book pro right now. i was very sad to find that Warframe was not compatible with my mac. i would love to continue supporting Warframe with my mac and i would love it if they could bring it to the mac.

But I thought you hipsters don't play games like Warframe.

Every true gamer knows that PC gaming is done on PC. o 3o

1 hour ago, BananaAcid said:

I don't feel comfortable using bootcamp, as windows with all additions always has some CPU boost issues on Macs. Well anyhow, I believe the players waiting for an OSX release are more then you can imagine. As seen on other games, they always gained a lot of players moving to Macs. Of course not as many as Windows Gamers (so if there are 4 times more by being 50 million, how much is a quarter of players more worth?), but still enough for profit.

if my googlefu is to be trusted macs are at about 13% of the computer market.

if you discount companies using macs you will probably end up with a number that is so low that the additional revenue would not cover the costs of porting the game and maintaining it

1 hour ago, BananaAcid said:

And not to forget: Hardware equally powerful - using openGL and Vulkan - no new "Game" required.

Warframe utilizes some rendering tech that is not used/supported by apple.

this would mean that DE would have to rewrite that part of the code.

also apple is overpriced as hell

On 2019-07-12 at 12:40 PM, GinaViVi said:

modded minecraft and server minecraft are very demanding.... and i am running them just fine, a little lag but still very playable

Nah. Not enough Mac users are interested in Warframe, that's just the truth unless you can prove that the Mac gaming community's interest is as big as the PC gaming community's interest in Warframe. Otherwise you Mac guys aren't worth it. 

On 2019-07-13 at 2:17 AM, ZoneDymo said:

Im doing this from OP's perspective, since OP made the topic.
OP is "simply" asking for the game to be ported to the Mac, unaware of what that might require on the devs part.

Its a simple request.

If my car is not working and I dont know whats up and im completely ignorant towards how a car works, I would go to a garage and "simply" request that they fix it.
It has no baring on the complexity of the job, how could it have? I have no concept of what must be done.

That's not really a valid comparison since an auto-service establishment is there to fix cars as its main service while a development teams main service would be to maintain the game and improve upon it not to port it to a niche platform for gaming as per request.

Asking someone to do anything is easy to do but without asking yourself what does my request entail and what am I exactly asking them to do is ignorant and self serving.

Edited by Abyssshy

I would say you were better off trying to go for an Emulator to play on Mac for the time being and work around that, the official way to play won't come in the near future (at least it doesn't seem like a priority for the time being for Apple or game developers). 

As outer have mentioned, after the new engine get matured, we might start to see some releases, for now all we can do is hope. 

Hate to say it, but It is technically unlikely to have a mac port. OpenGL and DX are tow different beast, you can write a software emulator to convert OpenGL call to DX but you will suffer a lot in both compatibility and performance area. There are 3rd party engines in the market that will abstract both API into a common interface, but it limit the feature set to the lowest denominator.

In order to support Apple, DE will need to rewrite MOST of their code.  It is not a small task, even  for a tier 1 dev house with large $$$ backup, The only way I see this happen is for Apple to either license DX support from MSFT,  buy a popular  game engine company and force them to work on a native Mac version, or Apple to create their own cloud base gaming  system. All 3 are unlikely because Apple basically are saying mobile is no longer the future.