Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Last post wins

Mr.ElevenXI

11 hours ago, Aldain said:

Welp Google's Stadia game development teams have been shut down.

To the absolute surprise of literally nobody.

It's to my surprise

that they had dedicated game dev teams.

9 hours ago, MagPrime said:

The Goldbergs Yes GIF by ABC Network

Had session 1 last night.  So far my character has this amazing physical ability for a bookish camp counselor but, lacks the brains to be a threat to anything.  Currently toting around 6 zombie making rocks she scooped up from the ocean floor while scuba diving.  Almost drowned to do it, and the only reason is because apparently she's part magpie. 

Don't forget about the zomble rocks. 'Cuz if your GM's anything like me, they sure won't.

9 hours ago, Aldain said:

pri GIF

Does the fact they managed to tear down a shop front to get at the rouge (thanks to a nat 20 strength check) help?

Thanks for the idea about what the swarm the Bard-barian (barbarian bard) trapped in the Potion Seller's shop willwind up doing.

7 hours ago, Yrkul said:

That is a cute cat. Adopt?

Yeah.  She was an unplanned litter for a friend of my sisters.  She just decided I needed matching cats and gave her to me one night.  "Happy Whatever, here's a kitten, Sis!"  .-.  

She turns 6 soon, I think. 

I have a part time job as a postman and during the break told me one of my workmates this story. 

He tried to put the mail into the mailbox of a multiple family dwelling, but when the mail was halfway inside the mailbox did a women opened the door and scream:" Wait, stop, I have corona." My workmate: 3aac94f878f5e9d03307698c610ff8c2.jpg

1 hour ago, Yrkul said:

Yeah. People seem to be wearing their intelligence on their sleeve at the moment.

My misanthropy is getting worse.

The average IQ score is lower than the 'average' IQ score of 100 in everywhere except the United Kingdom, Iceland, Mongolia, Switzerland, Italy, Taiwan, Japan, China, South Korea, Singapore and Hong Kong, at least according to: https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/average-iq-by-country

Now, I don't put too much stock into IQ overall - intelligence tests are at best a rough guesstimate and IQ is certainly not 'at best', but this isn't filling me with confidence either.

There's not even consensus on the definition and facets of intelligence, varying from 5 to 11 different types/facets. And when I got tested, my results varied by up to 35 points (Old Cattell scale). Granted, when testing high enough, results become a bit... abstract. ADHD doesn't help either.

But displayed intelligence (or lack thereof) really does chip away at my faith in humanity.  And social media just puts it out there. Humanity's ugliness, for everyone to see.

I has a sad.

sad_cat_gif_by_sam_iie_d5ufk73-fullview.

• Like 1

On 2021-01-29 at 8:34 AM, (XBOX)ShonFr0st said:

Also I'm feeding the addiction that is chess, it constantly craves for more and I don't know if I can stop it. 

I remember chess. I enjoyed playing it a lot in high school and actually won every tournament I was in. Then I started playing against people who were actually decent at the game and was destroyed every single time. There was this one time a Grandmaster visited our high school to play six games simultaneously, each one against a different student. I was the first to lose, and he beat me in like five moves. Kinda proved to me I only beat my classmates so handily because they were totally oblivious to all the mistakes I constantly make. I chalk it up to never thinking more than about three moves ahead and instead I just wing it. Horrible strategy for Chess, I know, but it's how I enjoyed it.

Back to the topic at hand, I have advice for those disheartened by the apparent abundance of stupidity in the world: you need to remember that the human brain is designed to focus on the negative. It's a leftover survival trait from our pre-human ancestors. Try to count all the instances you observe of higher intelligence, or at least all the people you observed just not doing/saying something stupid. More often than not, you'll find there were more people not doing/saying stupid things than people who did.

4 hours ago, DarthK3v said:

Back to the topic at hand, I have advice for those disheartened by the apparent abundance of stupidity in the world: you need to remember that the human brain is designed to focus on the negative. It's a leftover survival trait from our pre-human ancestors. Try to count all the instances you observe of higher intelligence, or at least all the people you observed just not doing/saying something stupid. More often than not, you'll find there were more people not doing/saying stupid things than people who did.

Yeah. Steven Pinker does highlight an overall positive trend in this matter. However, I'm an information scientist, and some of my focal points are information behaviourism, epistemology and discourse analysis. The current trend in reasoning capacity and independence from cognitive authority is pointing downwards. People are getting more radicalized and easier to manipulate. We can speculate, if this is due to information overload, faulty education, socio-cognitive/behavioural engineering through social media, other factors or a mix of these.

Discourse post Y2K, global events and observable behaviour, locally and recorded, does paint a very large chunk of humanity as petty, greedy, irrational, apathetic and/or gullible.

Luckily, I did read Pinker's Enlightenment Now, I do follow developments and initiatives that advances humanity as a whole, and have a lot of intellectual heavyweights in my social circle, so I haven't given up on humanity entirely. But by the gods I see a lot of pettiness and dimwittery in the observable world at large!

1588684000_untitled.jpg

16 hours ago, Yrkul said:

Yeah. Steven Pinker does highlight an overall positive trend in this matter. However, I'm an information scientist, and some of my focal points are information behaviourism, epistemology and discourse analysis. The current trend in reasoning capacity and independence from cognitive authority is pointing downwards. People are getting more radicalized and easier to manipulate. We can speculate, if this is due to information overload, faulty education, socio-cognitive/behavioural engineering through social media, other factors or a mix of these.

Discourse post Y2K, global events and observable behaviour, locally and recorded, does paint a very large chunk of humanity as petty, greedy, irrational, apathetic and/or gullible.

Luckily, I did read Pinker's Enlightenment Now, I do follow developments and initiatives that advances humanity as a whole, and have a lot of intellectual heavyweights in my social circle, so I haven't given up on humanity entirely. But by the gods I see a lot of pettiness and dimwittery in the observable world at large!

1588684000_untitled.jpg

Ordinarily I'd have taken the more optimistic position and politely disagreed, but after today I can at least see what you mean. Earlier I was heading to meet my spouse and pick them up after an optometrist visit, and I tripped over a wooden board on the sidewalk. Hit the ground, flat out. I was ok, but a bystander approached me asking if I needed help. This should be a good thing, but I had already noticed his mask was bellow his chin, and now he's approaching me in an attempt to help me up. I regret it now, but I instinctively yelled for him to stay back, and once I'd gotten up I scolded him for not wearing his mask properly, rather harshly too. I don't think instructing him to wear his mask was a bad thing, but I certainly could've been more eloquent about it.

So I now consider both him and myself examples of the aforementioned pettiness and dimwittery.

Am 5.2.2021 um 08:29 schrieb DarthK3v:

Just want to add that this is in this times easier told than done. Thanks to the internet and other medias it's almost impossible to not hear something new which can be described with "typical human stupidity". Yesterday a friend told me that during the new year in france was someone able to chop his head off with a firecracker....

Am 5.2.2021 um 13:57 schrieb Yrkul:

And we need more cute cat pics!

cute-cat-videos-lede-1300x882.jpg

No I need more dogs. There's a reason why they are called gods backwards. 

7b3948951de447e7000fdee71215463c.jpg

vor 7 Stunden schrieb Yrkul:

828.jpg

Die-russische-Gruppe-pr%C3%A4sentierte-e

On 2021-02-07 at 10:45 PM, MagPrime said:

My brother got me to play Magic Street.  It's a MMO RPG GPS based D&D style game and...I like it.

I get MMO and RPG, but GPS? As in the game tracks your position in the real world, or some other meaning for the initialism?