Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Last post wins

Mr.ElevenXI

1 minute ago, (PS4)Viveeeh said:

Interestingly the people who suffer the most because of gender stereotypes are the "feminine" men. While conservative people may be against a woman who does a "manly" job, they accept it more easily, because those "manly" jobs are highly respected, and a woman wanting more respect makes sense to them. But a man, giving up his status by becoming a kindergarten teacher, not a nurse? That's something they tolerate even less, because it absolutely makes no sense to them.

Indeed, military is another thing that while requirements aren't being changed women are allowed to take up more combat roles when typically they were only allowed in secondary roles that didn't see direct combat. Pilots, intelligence, medical for some examples. 

A lot of typically conservative values are being challenged lately, and with things happening in America and around the world I see conservatives losing power in the US which may upset some people but that's how it goes. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SpicyDinosaur said:

I'd disagree, not so much about it being bad for men, but about men accepting a masculine woman more readily than a feminine man. There are different problems to deal with between the two of them, I'm not sure one is worse or easier than the other. There are a whole bunch of stereotypes for "manly" women and they still struggle to get into more physical jobs or break the glass ceiling so to speak.

I see, this might be something depending on culture too then. Where I live, if a woman is working as, let's say, an engineer, I noticed older or more conservative people react with a slight surprise, but their general reply is something like "Oh really? Good for her, that's a great job!". But if it's the other way around, they just don't know how to react, like they found the situation awkward, or embarrassing. I don't deny the problems "manly" women are having, having personal experience there.

DE usually refer to the different warframes as the gender they possess obvious physical characteristics of, so the "they" is probably due to habit. If you take notice, Reb and Meg usually refer to contributors as "they/them". I've noticed the same tendency with a canadian gamemaster on a Twitch PnP roleplaying show, as well as other places. Currently it is a potential volatile subject, as recent events has shown. It is possibly one of the few things that could shut this thread down.

A lot of us are from a diverse mix of cultures, and the current sociocultural developments in the US, Canada and part of the UK seems to be rather strange, if not outright countercultural to a lot of us. My best advice is to keep it out of chat/forum, get informed on the subject matter, if interested, and take any discussions to more suitable places on the internet.

As an information scientist, this is a worthy field of study, and a subject I myself am monitoring as part of the overall geo-/sociopolitical situation, but over all, it is a minefield. I'd rather keep the discussions on this forum on coffee, cooking, missing organs and the problematic application of the Xoris.

Edited by Yrkul
Grammar
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Yrkul said:

DE usually refer to the different warframes as the gender they possess obvious physical characteristics of, so the "they" is probably due to habit. If you take notice, Reb and Meg usually refer to contributors as "they/them". I've noticed the same tendency with a canadian gamemaster on a Twitch PnP roleplaying show, as well as other places. Currently it is a potential volatile subject, as recent events has shown. It is possibly one of the few things that could shut this thread down.

A lot of us are from a diverse mix of cultures, and the current sociocultural developments in the US, Canada and part of the UK seems to be rather strange, if not outright countercultural to a lot of us. My best advice is to keep it out of chat/forum, get informed on the subject matter, if interested, and take any discussions to more suitable places on the internet.

As an information scientist, this is a worthy field of study, and a subject I myself am monitoring as part of the overall geo-/sociopolitical situation, but over all, it is a minefield. I'd rather keep the discussions on this forum on coffee, cooking, missing organs and the problematic application of the Xoris.

I doubt mods would go as far as shutting this thread down (they would probably delete the posts about the matter and and write a comment to warn us to avoid the subject). But I noticed that threads specifically about sensitive topics are usually closed, not even always because players failed to keep the conversation civil and respectful, but because they are afraid the discussion might get steered that way later. While I can understand this, I do not agree. People's opinions are potentially formed by these conversations too. I imagine a lot of people find someone like @MagPrimecool, and if they see she has a positive opinion on gender equality, their own opinions can be shifted into this direction too. Image a kid growing up in a conservative family, they might exclusively "hear" a constructive and positive conversation about this topic online. Discussing sensitive subjects is critical.

However, if you and maybe others feel this topic crossed a line - my question about grammar was answered, so while I was enjoying this convo, we can stop talking about it now 🙁

Edited by (PS4)Viveeeh
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, Yrkul said:

Since it's just one of many topics in this thread I too doubt it will lock this thread down, but we can go on to any other topic at this point. There are a lot of controversial topics right now though so it's probably best to avoid those as well. 

So uh, how about new games coming out this year since that's about the only thing not terrible right now?  

3 minutes ago, (XB1)Red Dough Boy said:

Since it's just one of many topics in this thread I too doubt it will lock this thread down, but we can go on to any other topic at this point. There are a lot of controversial topics right now though so it's probably best to avoid those as well. 

So uh, how about new games coming out this year since that's about the only thing not terrible right now?  

Cyber punk is the last hope for good new games imo at least AAA

• Like 2

Just now, (PS4)sweatshawp said:

Yep. Cyberpunk is probably the only new game I'm keeping an eye on. I'm a staunch opponent of all but the most basic DRM, and believe in ownership of the games we pay for. CD Project Red never let me down before, and I intend to throw my money at them once more. I have 3 versions of The Witcher 1, and 2 versions each of The Witcher 2 & 3. Making good games and not screwing customers over should be rewarded.

Those dear, crazy polacs.

9 minutes ago, (PS4)sweatshawp said:

It is made by the same devs that made Witcher 3 so it should be good. Let's just hope it's not delayed to oblivion. 

Star Wars Squadrons has my interest, even if EA is involved. Seems games are changing up a bit too, AAA companies have taken a hit the last couple years with some of their decisions. 

So I know about the Dunning Kruger effect, where you believe yourself to be more competent than you actually are when you're new at something. But I'm wondering if there's some kind of equivalent where you start bad as usual, proceed to actually, provably get kinda good, and then become bad at it? Because this has happened to me way too many times in my life.

9 minutes ago, phoenix1992 said:

Jesus, i haven't slept properly for the last two weeks (pain and nerves), how bad are you atm <.<

Half my face went numb and I was having trouble seeing out my right eye this morning due to migraine and I still went into work.

6 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

So I know about the Dunning Kruger effect, where you believe yourself to be more competent than you actually are when you're new at something. But I'm wondering if there's some kind of equivalent where you start bad as usual, proceed to actually, provably get kinda good, and then become bad at it? Because this has happened to me way too many times in my life.

Yes, it is actually pretty common syndrome in gaming and IT work.

1 minute ago, MagPrime said:

Half my face went numb and I was having trouble seeing out my right eye this morning due to migraine and I still went into work.

I would say go to a doctor, but you live in US <.<

1 minute ago, Loza03 said:

Wait, really?

What's it called?

I know it as skill decay, but i am not native English speaker, so it may have a proper name.

Let me give you a direct example and what were the causes of it. I was rather good WoW player (still am to some extend), but over the last year I have become a lot worse at it. 
Reasons for that :
1. I could not/refused to adapt
2. Routine and apathy
3. Burn out

Those can and will happen in your work environment as well, if you do not take breaks.

Just now, phoenix1992 said:

I know it as skill decay, but i am not native English speaker, so it may have a proper name.

Let me give you a direct example and what were the causes of it. I was rather good WoW player (still am to some extend), but over the last year I have become a lot worse at it. 
Reasons for that :
1. I could not/refused to adapt
2. Routine and apathy
3. Burn out

Those can and will happen in your work environment as well, if you do not take breaks.

Huh...

Duly noted. I've got Autism, so I do tend to obsess and tunnel-vision. This bears investigation, thank you!

7 hours ago, (XB1)Red Dough Boy said:

In the context of Warframes it makes more sense to not assign gender to them since they don't really have the same functions as organic males and females. They may look male or female, but they don't reproduce so assigning male or female roles to them isn't as necessary. It could be attributed to PC culture and trying to not offend someone that's trans, gender neutral, gender fluid, etc. 

Vehicles are sometimes called she or her so that kind of thing could apply as well since Warframes blur the line between a machine and a person. 

Note to self, in destroying the human's ability to reproduce you destroy their gender 🤣
Also a lot of our gendered language towards vehicles and certain objects comes from other languages that build English and how they assigned gender to many words. In this example Navis is the Latin word for ship and is considered a feminine word. The origin of the word warframe though has no such connotations.
-In Latin war-frame is Bellum-frame. Bellum meaning war is neutral noun and frame is not gendered.

8 hours ago, (PS4)Viveeeh said:

I have a question for native US/Canadian English speakers. DE Helen wrote this in her Inaros Prime PA announcement:

"Inaros Prime leaves their ancient resting place to arrive with the brutal Panthera Prime, elegant Karyst Prime and much more."

Inaros is obviously male, so she could have just written "his" instead of "their", which is the neutral form, but didn't. I've already heard an American Twitch streamer using the same gender neutral personal pronoun as he described what a woman did (he mentioned he was talking about a woman). 

So my question is, is talking like that common? Or they just did it accidentally? Am I missing something? I aim to keep my English knowledge up to date.

They/them/their is neutral language. People will use it unwittingly and it probably has no connection to PC culture or the Canadian equality law that people are talking about. In this sentence it makes sense to use "their", if you were to use "he's/his" it can seem more possessive as you are specifically referring to the subjects gender in a possessive form. By using "their" you can just keep on rolling through with the rest of the sentence.
"Their" is still possessive but doesn't specifically refer to the subjects being.

• Like 2