Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Last post wins

Mr.ElevenXI

5 hours ago, Yrkul said:

Nope. There are forums for most hobbies, general interest, game, litterary work, religion, ideology, academic domain... and cats. It may seem fragmented and sparse at a glance, but start tying them up together, and you'll see the discourse mass generated vastly outweighs that generated by the likes of 'Twit'-ter, due to more longform format, socio-cognitive homogeneity and better community management.

Social media like Facebook and Twitter on the other hand are seeing a decline. Seeing their destructive impact on discourse in general, I welcome this development.

AH! I see! I do have an associate who said as such about social media, less of a doomsayers then the random fellow and more of an impartial observer.

On that one, I felt it was more that the "Frontier Age" of social media was finally ending, "urbanization" was finally occurring, and the pioneers and proverbial cowboys of the digisphere were fading away, to be replaced by socialites, formulaic celebrities, and corporate "urban investment".

4 hours ago, Magus_Tahir said:

Forums like this shall never leave so long as anonymity remains. -M

Heh. To think, I never cared much for anonymity out here, given I act the same whether I have a social "mask" on or not, yet it's such a magnetic effect for folks.

Interesting, thank you both. Sounds like my Pit just needs to get with the times, "Oh tempora, o mores." and all that.

1 hour ago, Unus said:

AH! I see! I do have an associate who said as such about social media, less of a doomsayers then the random fellow and more of an impartial observer.

On that one, I felt it was more that the "Frontier Age" of social media was finally ending, "urbanization" was finally occurring, and the pioneers and proverbial cowboys of the digisphere were fading away, to be replaced by socialites, formulaic celebrities, and corporate "urban investment".

They already dubbed the new trends "Web 3.0" a few years back. Ironically, the commerciallization of user expression and corporate exploitation was already starting to show by the time O'Reilly et al. dubbed the trends "Web 2.0" in 2004 (I wrote a paper on the breakdown of Web 2.0 principles on a certain platform in 2010, so old hat to me). No, the "frontier age" is still here, though it is more centered around user exploitation and predatory commercialization, due to legislation lagging behind (and I'm not talking about SOPA and PIPA, which were part of said predatory commercialization). The decline of social media is more due to people losing trust in the platforms, and the volatile discourse that's now so prevalent there.

On an unrelated note, I found another thunderstorm ASMR, that seems to work better, since it is recorded indoors, so it doesn't give the feeling of lying outside in the rain.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Yrkul said:

They already dubbed the new trends "Web 3.0" a few years back. Ironically, the commerciallization of user expression and corporate exploitation was already starting to show by the time O'Reilly et al. dubbed the trends "Web 2.0" in 2004 (I wrote a paper on the breakdown of Web 2.0 principles on a certain platform in 2010, so old hat to me). No, the "frontier age" is still here, though it is more centered around user exploitation and predatory commercialization, due to legislation lagging behind (and I'm not talking about SOPA and PIPA, which were part of said predatory commercialization). The decline of social media is more due to people losing trust in the platforms, and the volatile discourse that's now so prevalent there.

On an unrelated note, I found another thunderstorm ASMR, that seems to work better, since it is recorded indoors, so it doesn't give the feeling of lying outside in the rain.

My friend. We need to sit down one day and have a deep dive if you feel inclined to do so. That is great mind you got there and I would love to hear more of your thoughts.

9 hours ago, Unus said:

You know, I gotta ask folks.

Recently, while sleeplessly wandering the Internet, I met a sort of lecturey doomsday type of fellow who was telling folks that the age of forums is drawing to a close and that less people then ever go to forums nowadays.

Do you feel that is true?

I mean... Reddit.

If Reddit doesn't strictly speaking count, it's not exactly far removed from a forum.

37 minutes ago, Magus_Tahir said:

My friend. We need to sit down one day and have a deep dive if you feel inclined to do so. That is great mind you got there and I would love to hear more of your thoughts.

It's going to be sporadic. I got so much on my plate, and it is already hard to sit down with one thing at a time. And the current crap is not making things better.

45 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

I mean... Reddit.

If Reddit doesn't strictly speaking count, it's not exactly far removed from a forum.

The upvote/downvote mechanic and moderator pool is introducing a lot of the problems suffered by other social media platforms. Content on Reddit is promoted through popularity and fiat, so you rarely get a very nuanced discussion, especially on controversial subjects.

39 minutes ago, Yrkul said:

The upvote/downvote mechanic and moderator pool is introducing a lot of the problems suffered by other social media platforms. Content on Reddit is promoted through popularity and fiat, so you rarely get a very nuanced discussion, especially on controversial subjects.

That's true, but since we're talking about quantity of forum use, not quality, Reddit still suggests that people are far from over the Forum format.

39 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

That's true, but since we're talking about quantity of forum use, not quality, Reddit still suggests that people are far from over the Forum format.

Yes and no. If Reddit continues to adopt typical practices from Facebook and Twitter, they too will see a decline. There are already draconian practices taking place, pushing discourse not fitting in a shrinking Overton window onto alternative platforms. It is always better to leave discourse open, even for opposing input, than marginalizing perspectives and creating more echo chambers. If Daryl Davis taught us anything, it is that you can turn even the most misguided into a good person. Marginalizing never accomplished that.

But I'm again sliding into the discussion of quality vs. quantity. When information seekers stop wanting vapid, shallow and/or one-sided content, they will start looking for alternatives. Unfortunately, Reddit are playing with their cards close to the chest, so I can't check a reliable source to see, if statistics already reflect this pattern.

Edit: And Reddit is in a weird state, where it is both a forum and dynamic feedback aggregator. If I wasn't a critic of quantum mechanics, I'd throw a cat into the mix.

Edited by Yrkul

6 minutes ago, Yrkul said:

Yes and no. If Reddit continues to adopt typical practices from Facebook and Twitter, they too will see a decline. There are already draconian practices taking place, pushing discourse not fitting in a shrinking Overton window onto alternative platforms. It is always better to leave discourse open, even for opposing input, than marginalizing perspectives and creating more echo chambers. If Daryl Davis taught us anything, it is that you can turn even the most misguided into a good person. Marginalizing never accomplished that.

But I'm again sliding into the discussion of quality vs. quantity. When information seekers stop wanting vapid, shallow and/or one-sided content, they will start looking for alternatives. Unfortunately, Reddit are playing with their cards close to the chest, so I can't check a reliable source to see, if statistics already reflect this pattern.

Edit: And Reddit is in a weird state, where it is both a forum and dynamic feedback aggregator. If I wasn't a critic of quantum mechanics, I'd throw a cat into the mix.

Did you just imply that Reddit is Schrödinger's Cat?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yrkul said:

Ooo that's one for my next day off. Oddly enough seeing your Cheshire cat pic made me think of something of happened years ago in high school. Where my geology teacher was talking time travel with one of my classmates and basically was telling her that we could simply just go back in time to fix that, and I popped in and said how are you going to get to where Earth is without a spaceship at that time?

They looked at me like I am was crazy. 

40 minutes ago, Magus_Tahir said:

Ooo that's one for my next day off. Oddly enough seeing your Cheshire cat pic made me think of something of happened years ago in high school. Where my geology teacher was talking time travel with one of my classmates and basically was telling her that we could simply just go back in time to fix that, and I popped in and said how are you going to get to where Earth is without a spaceship at that time?

They looked at me like I am was crazy. 

That is the problem with the general adoption of ideas like time travel and quantum theory. One often knows too little to partake in a serious discussion, and enough to put one's foot in one's mouth. Heinlein's "By his bootstraps" is entertaining, until you start noticing the loose ends. At least Terminator had Arnold. Every plot is better with Arnold. Even Hamlet.

Edited by Yrkul
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Yrkul said:

Heh, sounds like the time of the robber barons moving out onto the frontier then, filing folks into corporate towns to buy their goods with corpcash.

Such a pity, I'd love to find folks I can consistently talk with about designs, theirs and mine. If they seem to be fadeing out though, it's gonna be a elluvalotta harder to meet folks.

Eh. . . maybe I'm just old and outdated.

3 hours ago, Loza03 said:

I mean... Reddit.

Eh, Reddit doesn't feel as "stable" as a forum, based on my personal experience. More "popularity orientated", less likely for long-term projects to survive there unless they are rabidly pushed.

1 minute ago, Yrkul said:

That is the problem with the general adoption of ideas like time travel and quantum theory. One often knows too little to partake in a serious discussion, and enough to put one's foot in one's mouth. Heinlein's "By his bootstraps" is entertaining, until you start noticing the loose ends. At least Terminator had Arnold. Every plot is better with Arnold. Even Hamlet.

I mean, Hamlet was basically written as the Elizabethan blockbuster, so...

• Like 1

Blogs and dedicated forums are still viable. If I want to discuss information science, I go to certain forums, blogs etc. If I want to discuss geopolitics or swordsmanship, I go other places. And don't forget RL. All the forum threads, all the videos and all the books still taught me less than human interaction in a ring, at a camp fire or a class room.

• Like 1

I felt a little on the carnivorous side yesterday, and made a ½kg of ground beef into patties, made them medium and ate with nothing but pepper and a dash of salt and a glass of water. Funny enough, I've felt no drop in energy today, got hungry late, and don't get any signs of having eaten anything I shouldn't have. Usually, I get increased joint aches and other indicators, if I eat heavily processed foods or food rich in MSG. It's not something I do often, but once in a while I have a mono-element meal, often meat or a head of broccoli. As long as you get fiber regularly and all your micronutrients, you're good. I won't recommend a carnivore diet, though, since few ethnicities have the epigenetics to live on animal product alone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yrkul said:

I felt a little on the carnivorous side yesterday, and made a ½kg of ground beef into patties, made them medium and ate with nothing but pepper and a dash of salt and a glass of water. Funny enough, I've felt no drop in energy today, got hungry late, and don't get any signs of having eaten anything I shouldn't have. Usually, I get increased joint aches and other indicators, if I eat heavily processed foods or food rich in MSG. It's not something I do often, but once in a while I have a mono-element meal, often meat or a head of broccoli. As long as you get fiber regularly and all your micronutrients, you're good. I won't recommend a carnivore diet, though, since few ethnicities have the epigenetics to live on animal product alone.

What type of swordsmanship do you practice?