Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Last post wins

Mr.ElevenXI

Just now, (PS4)Raven-Ghosthawk said:

If I may voice a fear that I had re the future of Warframe as I heard about the ability infusion system...? (Honestly not sure where else to put it atm.)

I mean you can but I'd recommend you do it in the general forums where we have five running threads for it already.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Magus_Tahir said:

I was actually thinking Kyle Katarn style from Jedi Knight II. Grey Jedi can use Dark Force powers as well.

Yeah, but grey jedi constantly tethers on the edge of the abyss, and there's been, what, four established in all? I know of Kyle Katarn, and Mace Windu was grey as well. Ki-Adi-Mundi was a grey jedi at the start, as was his master. I'm a little hesitant at using player controlled characters as lore examples, so a lot of the KotOR/ToR etc. examples are a bit problematic in establishing a narrative in the traditional sense. Darth Revan is a good example of this, players taking him/her from one end of the spectrum to the other, and Bioware doing an entirely third thing with the character in the end.

The discussion gets pretty hairy, when we entertain the notion, that all but Ki-Adi-Mundi did indeed fall to the dark side, in their own quiet ways. There's a reason, why the jedi order grew so paranoid against anything smelling just slightly of darkside, even their own feelings.

LTXx9f8_d.webp?maxwidth=728&fidelity=gra

Yes. I am such a nerd.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Yrkul said:

It is essentially a thought experiment in advanced ethics: "Would you become an evil person, if you were unfettered by physical/ontological and social/moral limitations"?

Well now thats a loaded question isent it. What is a evil person? And which societies? 

2 minutes ago, Magus_Tahir said:

Well now thats a loaded question isent it. What is a evil person? And which societies? 

That is of course to be established, before we can even start on the experiment. Social and cultural relativism has been a really big problem in any class or discussion I've partaken in, especially because people see their own norms and values as universal.

Lin Yutang's The Importance of Living touches on cultural relativism and the problems of forceful democratization. It's a heavy work, but as modern (1937) chinese philosophy, I find it very helpful in a field, where the authors often are too busy smelling their own farts.

I also got hold of Philip Zimbardo's The Lucifer Effect: How good people turn evil not long ago. Oy vey! I have so many books I need to read, right at hand. Probably one of the best "problems" to have. 😄

12 minutes ago, Yrkul said:

That is of course to be established, before we can even start on the experiment. Social and cultural relativism has been a really big problem in any class or discussion I've partaken in, especially because people see their own norms and values as universal.

Lin Yutang's The Importance of Living touches on cultural relativism and the problems of forceful democratization. It's a heavy work, but as modern (1937) chinese philosophy, I find it very helpful in a field, where the authors often are too busy smelling their own farts.

I also got hold of Philip Zimbardo's The Lucifer Effect: How good people turn evil not long ago. Oy vey! I have so many books I need to read, right at hand. Probably one of the best "problems" to have. 😄

Heinleins Stranger in a Strange Land if you really want to venture down a wild rabbit hole.

Or The Morning of the Magicians. 1960. 

And I am quite fond of the works by Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov.

Edited by Magus_Tahir
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Magus_Tahir said:

Heinleins Stranger in a Strange Land if you really want to venture down a wild rabbit hole.

Or The Morning of the Magicians. 1960. 

And I am quite fond of the works by Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov.

I think I've read most of Heinlein.

Morning might be interesting as secondary source material.

Aïvanhov sounds interesting. Quite the bibliography as well. Eeh... More books!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Yrkul said:

I think I've read most of Heinlein.

Morning might be interesting as secondary source material.

Aïvanhov sounds interesting. Quite the bibliography as well. Eeh... More books!

There is also. The Kybalion. It is written under a pen name. Non the less it has some rather intriguing insights on the metaphysical.