Jump to content

Last post wins


Recommended Posts

Been playing Baldur's Gate 3 with (and without) some friends, and it has made me realize how common poor A.I. programming can be, and the encounter balance isn't much better.

Picture if you will, an enemy that wants to attack a caster way in the back, in between them are 2-3 melee units who can all get attacks on it while it runs by, a normal person would not risk 3 attacks to get one hit on a squishy unit right? Wrong, it will run past all 3, dodge all the attacks of opportunity (assuming they even trigger due to Early Access bugs) and hit the Wizard, likely multiple times, because the A.I. has zero concept of threat and is programmed to only attack the lowest AC unit at all times.

The game is fun and enjoyable, but god damn is it comically unbalanced, enemies can warp/fly far more often than the player can, players miss 80%-to-hit attacks non-stop while enemies almost never miss even the highest AC units, assuming they even attack the high AC units in the first place and aren't just throwing explosive items at you ignoring hitrates entirely while setting you on fire/poisoning you. Most combat also takes place in big open areas where you can't break line of sight which means it is open season for enemy archers.

Enemies also completely outnumber you more often than not, so if you have a bad initiative roll you can kiss your Wizard's ass goodbye before you even get one turn.

Spoiler

And as a personal complaint one of my friends insists on "decorating" the camp and stops all progress for 15-20 minutes at a time making our sessions mostly filled with standing around waiting for them to be done and reloading 4+ times literally any time something goes even slightly wrong.

I'm still having fun despite all of this, but man if this weren't Early Access I'd be far more irritated. Also sorry for using LPW as a venting outlet.

Edited by Aldain
Link to post
Share on other sites

Dinner tonight was cheese and  broccoli soup with lots of bacon, and a side of rosemary and olive oil bread.

With eggnog & cinnamon whiskey to wash it down.  :^)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Halloween event started in Rift, and I'm currently farming the event currencies there. With my... umm, heheh... 26 characters (Ok, I have a problem. Hi, I'm Yrkul, and I'm an altoholic). Warframe is taking a bit of a back burner right now, with all their dawdling.

Made some ground beef with black beans, onions and garlic last night. I've been going overboard with the garlic recently, now that I don't have any more appointments with the dentist.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Found some 280g packets of chicken breasts at bargain price. Gonna have a few poultry dish days with sum experimentation, innit.

Also grabbed an armful of leek and potato soup in portion cartons, for when I'm feeling a bit under the weather and can't be arsed to do much in the kitchen. Just chop an onion and add some extra leeks to the pot, possibly a few meat balls as well. Stay prepared.

Joe had a rather interesting guest on, regarding nutrition. I'm not entirely sold on the carnivore diet, but we are seeing certain ethnicities living almost entirely off animal product.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Aldain said:

players miss 80%-to-hit attacks

This is largely why I've stopped playing the Early Access. Pillars of Eternity would at least regularly give you a "graze" if you didn't get the full hit, but constant misses, against even targets like an Ogre, really saps the fun right out of playing.

Seems completely counter intuitive as well, heavy armour makes you... harder to hit and causes your character to dodge more attacks? That's not what heavy armour does at all. I know, I know, Dungeons and Dragons rules, but frankly it's a stupid rule.

That and the fact that if you don't tackle everything with combat, and instead choose to make use of diplomacy or deception, you get sod all for xp and handicap yourself in future fights.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

Seems completely counter intuitive as well, heavy armour makes you... harder to hit and causes your character to dodge more attacks? That's not what heavy armour does at all. I know, I know, Dungeons and Dragons rules, but frankly it's a stupid rule.

Even in DnD, it's more esoteric. You aren't seeing what happens onscreen, so a bad roll can be flavoured as you fumbling the move or the armour taking the full brunt without breaking. Games don't really have the same leeway.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

Even in DnD, it's more esoteric. You aren't seeing what happens onscreen, so a bad roll can be flavoured as you fumbling the move or the armour taking the full brunt without breaking. Games don't really have the same leeway.

Yeah, this is what I was bearing in mind whilst playing. DnD is your imagination, Baldurs gate actually shows your character dodging aside.

If the animation was of the attack glancing off your armour or being blocked by your shield/weapon, much more understandable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DeMonkey said:

This is largely why I've stopped playing the Early Access. Pillars of Eternity would at least regularly give you a "graze" if you didn't get the full hit, but constant misses, against even targets like an Ogre, really saps the fun right out of playing.

Seems completely counter intuitive as well, heavy armour makes you... harder to hit and causes your character to dodge more attacks? That's not what heavy armour does at all. I know, I know, Dungeons and Dragons rules, but frankly it's a stupid rule.

That and the fact that if you don't tackle everything with combat, and instead choose to make use of diplomacy or deception, you get sod all for xp and handicap yourself in future fights.

Yeah that's a big problem.

The sad thing is that I'm actually less irritated by missing when I play Xcom than Baldur's Gate 3, even though they have that same problem of "guess I'll miss this 90% chance for no reason", but at least in Xcom you had more routes to increase your hit chances, my personal favorite being leveling the battlefield with explosives so enemy cover isn't a thing anymore. In BG3 however, I've used Bless/Bane/Hunter's Mark, the whole suite and still keep missing.

Hell that's the main reason I'm running Eldritch Knight, because Magic Missile doesn't miss at all and even at level 4 still does more damage than my Greatsword on average.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Aldain said:

Hell that's the main reason I'm running Eldritch Knight, because Magic Missile doesn't miss at all and even at level 4 still does more damage than my Greatsword on average.

Blue Diamond | Steven Universe Wiki | Fandom

PARRY THIS YOU FILTHY CASUAL

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2020-10-25 at 3:57 AM, Aldain said:

latest?cb=20190701182802

Ha i have this one but missing the other parts lol ^.^ well nah i think i have a leg come to think of it ^.^ 

Edited by trunks013
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

I would do terrible things to have Ripline, or some Helminth-exclusive equivalent, on any Warframe.

They really should just make it a function of the Parazon, would give them an excuse to make more Parazon mods.

Just hold interact/reload for about a second, and BOOM, grappling hook, put a short cooldown on it (2-3 seconds) and voila, a good excuse to rework Valkyr.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...