Last post wins

Mr.ElevenXI

I'm sure I have very old country vinil here. But the Vinil player itself is dead and gone. Buying a new one is not feaseable at this time, the damn thing is around R$2700,00.

In other news, it seems Outriders is... not in a good place.

In yet another news, we are in mosquito season here in Brazil with the rains, I would probably be able to go to professional with how much I'm using my electric racket to kill them.

-sigh- I know this thread isn't really for such things, but I've just gotta vent this out somewhere or it's gonna drive me up a wall.

My usual friend group has changed so much I just don't even bother talking around them anymore, like, I always felt out of place at times since I was pretty much the "generic everyman" of the group but somehow I just feel like I'm slowly losing what little place I even had around them.

It's not just "not fitting in" but feeling like over the past few years that things have almost changed to specifically push me out, not that I actually think this was intentionally done or anything, they aren't that malicious type of people, but it's just...I feel like nobody would even notice or care if I just didn't talk or show up at all anymore, or at least only one or two people would even stop to wonder "Hm wonder what Al's up to?".

Even when I am around I almost never feel like I can really be myself these days either, like one wrong choice of words will cause massive issues so I just wind up not saying anything at all. It just feels like at best I'm kept around because of either comedy value at being the odd one out or pity. It isn't like the few times I do speak up I get yelled at or anything, it just...there's never really anything I have to actually say on the topics they tend to go on so I just wind up sitting in complete silence listening to a conversation I don't care about go on and on.

It just always feels like...empty noise these days when I am around them, not even just general nonsense talk or whatnot, it honestly feels like nobody is actually communicating anymore, it just feels like somebody is playing a bunch of random Tiktok videos in a row and a bunch of memespeak 9 times out of 10. I've got the entire Discord server on perma-mute just because of the irritating amount of spam that says nothing on a regular basis.

I'm not expecting an answer or solution from anyone, I just...kind had to vent on the topic because I just couldn't take it anymore.

10 minutes ago, Aldain said:

-sigh- I know this thread isn't really for such things, but I've just gotta vent this out somewhere or it's gonna drive me up a wall.

My usual friend group has changed so much I just don't even bother talking around them anymore, like, I always felt out of place at times since I was pretty much the "generic everyman" of the group but somehow I just feel like I'm slowly losing what little place I even had around them.

It's not just "not fitting in" but feeling like over the past few years that things have almost changed to specifically push me out, not that I actually think this was intentionally done or anything, they aren't that malicious type of people, but it's just...I feel like nobody would even notice or care if I just didn't talk or show up at all anymore, or at least only one or two people would even stop to wonder "Hm wonder what Al's up to?".

Even when I am around I almost never feel like I can really be myself these days either, like one wrong choice of words will cause massive issues so I just wind up not saying anything at all. It just feels like at best I'm kept around because of either comedy value at being the odd one out or pity. It isn't like the few times I do speak up I get yelled at or anything, it just...there's never really anything I have to actually say on the topics they tend to go on so I just wind up sitting in complete silence listening to a conversation I don't care about go on and on.

It just always feels like...empty noise these days when I am around them, not even just general nonsense talk or whatnot, it honestly feels like nobody is actually communicating anymore, it just feels like somebody is playing a bunch of random Tiktok videos in a row and a bunch of memespeak 9 times out of 10. I've got the entire Discord server on perma-mute just because of the irritating amount of spam that says nothing on a regular basis.

I'm not expecting an answer or solution from anyone, I just...kind had to vent on the topic because I just couldn't take it anymore.

First question you need to ask yourself: do you still want to be their friend? If no, then the choice is obvious: leave.

However, if the answer is yes, then there are a few things you could do. Your best course of action would probably be to actually talk to them, voice your feelings, and see how they react.

Of course, friends do sometimes grow apart. It's part of life, and while it often sucks, it's not the end of the world.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DarthK3v said:

First question you need to ask yourself: do you still want to be their friend? If no, then the choice is obvious: leave.

However, if the answer is yes, then there are a few things you could do. Your best course of action would probably be to actually talk to them, voice your feelings, and see how they react.

Of course, friends do sometimes grow apart. It's part of life, and while it often sucks, it's not the end of the world.

I kind of already knew those were the only realistic options, it just sucks how fast this paradigm shift within the group happened.

I think it's the "walking on eggshells" thing that is hurting the most, every little thing just feels like Twitter-tier drama these days, right down to the hours and hours of raging about one small thing or the other.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Aldain said:

Sad Best Friends GIF by Lisa Vertudaches

I know those feels, I'm sorry.  Only advice I can offer is don't do what I do, which is be self destructive.  It makes things worse. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 2021-05-20 at 9:40 PM, Aldain said:

That is unfortunately how things are turning out at the moment. Several socio-political commentators come with the same anecdotes, of estrangement and polarization. Even over here, certain ideologies have been seeping in. Luckily I've been selective about who I consider to be friends, so people around me are both smart enough not to buy into the BS, and have known me for several decades. There is one who's been drinking the Koolaid, but heh... Try arguing with the information scientist, who's been using years of sick leave in part to monitor and analyze social, cultural and political developments. Let's just say, he's grown less confident in his viewpoints.

The problem is, that once entrenched in a way of thinking, it is very hard to get people to accept even hard facts that are contrary to their belief. So either you care enough about them to really invest time and energy in convincing them to at least be tolerant to people outside their Overton window, or you spend that time and energy on people, on people who deserve it.

People do grow apart. Friends. Spouses. Business associates. At some point, you have to decide if someone needs to change for things to work and if it is worth it. And if they won't change, and you won't change, then it is time to walk away while you don't hate each other.

But you sound like a smart guy, so maybe find some people that are more on your level, who have something to offer, and who you don't mind giving of yourself to. Keep in touch with those friends you genuinely care about, and just ghost the rest. Keep the gold. The gravel will just wear you down.

I might be a bit off the mark, but the "walking on eggshells" comment did set a certain context.

Edited by Yrkul
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Yrkul said:

I might be a bit off the mark, but the "walking on eggshells" comment did set a certain context.

You're not really too far off the mark really.

There's a few nuances that differ, that's to be expected, but overall yeah the statement of polarization kind of hits the nail on the head.

I'm still gonna have to figure out the solution for myself in the long haul, but right now I don't even know how deep the iceberg goes with how fast things have changed...it's making figuring things out a bit more difficult than normal.

On 2021-05-21 at 2:26 PM, Aldain said:

You're not really too far off the mark really.

There's a few nuances that differ, that's to be expected, but overall yeah the statement of polarization kind of hits the nail on the head.

I'm still gonna have to figure out the solution for myself in the long haul, but right now I don't even know how deep the iceberg goes with how fast things have changed...it's making figuring things out a bit more difficult than normal.

Jump into the Discord Prime, might be fun. 

Ate my first pizza in over a year yesterday. Tasted great, but I feel like crap today.

I'd rather have carrot at the time of writing...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yrkul said:

Ate my first pizza in over a year yesterday. Tasted great, but I feel like crap today.

I'm finding pizza to cause problems for me as well.  I think I've started having issues with tomato sauce. 

I suspect the combination of monosodium glumatate, simple carbs and massive amounts of unhealthy fats to be the problem. I know MSG is exacerbating my joint problems from multiple experiences with fast foods of several ethnic sources, heavily processed food and restaurant menus.

Pizzas are one of the most unhealthy fast foods you can get outside of Scotland, after all.

Maybe get tested for um... tomato sauce allergy, or its components. Those pesky fruits are everywhere!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Yrkul said:

Homemade or ordered?

I prefer to make it. Punching, strangling, slapping, tearing, throwing, smashing, clawing, ripping and squashing the dough is very, very therapeutic.

37 minutes ago, MagPrime said:

I'm finding pizza to cause problems for me as well.  I think I've started having issues with tomato sauce. 

Which kind? I note that the "ready sauce" and the pure "tomato sauce" have differences.

If you dont have issues eating the vegetable itself, it might be a chemical they put in there.

Making tomato sauce can be a bit time consuming though.

Edited by Kaotyke

1 minute ago, Kaotyke said:

Homemade or ordered?

Ordered.

I usually only eat junk food once every 1-3 months, so some of the ingredients would be lying around for a looong time, if I was making pizza from the ground up.

Tomorrow it's chicken and onion, curry and chili wraps. I'm down to the last dregs of my current batch of ghost pepper based colon cleanser. It's been..... maturing for a couple of months now, so I've got to be reeeeally careful about the dosage. 🥵

58 minutes ago, Kaotyke said:

Homemade or ordered?

I prefer to make it. Punching, strangling, slapping, tearing, throwing, smashing, clawing, ripping and squashing the dough is very, very therapeutic.

Which kind? I note that the "ready sauce" and the pure "tomato sauce" have differences.

If you dont have issues eating the vegetable itself, it might be a chemical they put in there.

Making tomato sauce can be a bit time consuming though.

Er, the kind that's already on there?  I have no idea.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MagPrime said:

Er, the kind that's already on there?  I have no idea.

Well, I know 2 types of tomato sauce, the "spiced sauce" and the "pure sauce".

I dont know if its the same in your country, but spiced sauce is like... er... its already spiced for a specific thing, like there's a type made for Pizza, another for spaghetti... like these ones.

Its not exactly recommended to buy the pure thing that has no extra spices because its more acid, you have to put it boil and spice it yourself first before use.

Edited by Kaotyke

4 minutes ago, Kaotyke said:

I dont know if its the same in your country, but spiced sauce is like... er... its already spiced for a specific thing, like there's a type made for Pizza, another for spaghetti... like these ones.

Its not exactly recommended to buy the pure thing that has no extra spices because its more acid, you have to put it boil and spice it yourself first before use.

Oh, this is spiced.

24 minutes ago, Kaotyke said:

Two? We're really fancy over here.

• We have countless brands of the "ready-to-use" tomato sauce, pre-spiced (No. It won't turn your eyes blue). Fry your meats, onions and whatnot, add the sauce, and p(r)esto! You're an italian chef.
  • Then there's tomatos skinned and/or chopped in various degrees. My mom always used these for her pasta, lasagna etc.
  • Tomato paste is blended super fine and reduced (boiled down to reduce water content). Really rich taste and I usually use it to replace the tomato "sauce" when having white beans (The sugar content is like that of soda) or as sustitute for ketchup (Again, high sugar content). I also use it insteat of regular tomatos in cooking, as I hate the taste and texture of fresh tomatos. 
  • Sun-dried tomatos, kept in olive oil is used to give dishes an enhanced, more earthy tomato-ish flavour.

That being said, pizzarias and restaurants use vastly different sauces from what we buy ourselves. Whether bought in 1-5 liter cans or made in-house, they are made as cheaply as possible, often using artificial flavours and MSG to compensate. And that is probably why several of us here react badly to this kind of food.

But if you think our processed food is bad, check out what the chinese have to live with... and on. I like a lot of chinese food, but.....

3 hours ago, Kaotyke said:

Try to make the spice yourself.

Or eat a tomato and see if it causes any problems.

Had tomato soup with my own spices for lunch, I think it's the tomato.  Stomach hates me and nothing helps.