Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Last post wins

Mr.ElevenXI

1 minute ago, vanaukas said:

You are confusing AM2R (fan made) with Samus Returns (official game). AM2R its totally interconnected.

To be clear, when I say 'interconnected', I'm more focused on the areas directly connecting to each other, as in 'I can go from Area A to Area B, C, or D without passing through any others, and without using fast travel. I'm looking at a complete map of AM2R and unless this map is very inaccurate most of AM2R areas only connect to either the way you came in, or one other, tops.

Frankly, Dread is a lot better than AM2R in that respect, although I'd say Dread loses any points it has over AM2R by those connections being loading screens, not gameplay setpieces, evening the score.

2 hours ago, vanaukas said:

It's ok being new to something tho, but I need to ask, have you completed every single 2d game on 100%? I ask it because the most impressive one for puzzles (imho) it's Zero MIssion and Fusion (Fusion probably more badly done since restorts too much on "fake floors" than Zero Mission, but both have a lot of shinespark puzzles (also I forgot to mention in the previous post how the whole speed booster and shinespark were ruined before Super Metroid, because it's automatic and you can't pull quick shinespark to traverse the levels).

No, I have not, so that probably colours my experience. The other Metroidvanias I've played substitute puzzles for either predominately platforming challenges or combat encounters - varying from game to game (for example, Dust blends with a character action game, so it has a lot more combat, whilst the Ori games and Hollow Knight generally lean towards being platforming focused. I'll certainly accept that novelty would have affected how I experienced Dread.

Nevertheless, I don't think my experience with the Metroidvania genre as a whole means I'm in any way poorly qualified to comment. They're still Metroidvanias after all, and if the dev team for Dread wasn't looking at what the rest of the genre was doing well to iterate, I'd be deeply disappointed in them.

I play 2d Metroid games in my hacked 3DS almost 3 or 4 times a year, I know them deeply (and I still sucks on bomb jumps, despite playing it that much) and for me, Super Metroid was the master piece on metroid games. The "manual" Samus mode as I like to put it.

I respect that you have a lot of experience, but I do wonder if perhaps your idea of what a 'good Metroid game' is possibly over-strict. Fusion released 19 years ago. Zero Mission was 17 years ago. Super is 27. The genre has pretty substantially changed, and to call any game that's deviated from that formula 'an abomination' is... well, it seems awfully close minded to me.

The "jab at Prime fans" it's mostly on the approach on action they try to emulate on newer 2D games, and also on visual aspects. I hate the Metroid Prime series BTW.

It was still both unnecessarily rude and inflammatory.

22 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

I respect that you have a lot of experience, but I do wonder if perhaps your idea of what a 'good Metroid game' is possibly over-strict. Fusion released 19 years ago. Zero Mission was 17 years ago. Super is 27. The genre has pretty substantially changed, and to call any game that's deviated from that formula 'an abomination' is... well, it seems awfully close minded to me.

Hyper Metroid is far more better game than Dread, and it's a fanamde hack for super metroid.

A good Metroid game it's one that focuses more on exploration and platforming rather than combat and fast paced action. That's why the "metroidvanias" aren't just "metroids", because Castlevania added the "fast paced action" that metroid lacked at that time. I was expecting a Metroid game, not a metroidvania, but I understand why they did it... It's the trend (starting to die right now tho) and they are a company on first place. Even Fusion was less fast paced and still kept you on the verge of fear due the SA-X encounters.

This is why I hate Prime games, while exploration it's very important, the "action" takes just too much screen for my taste and the series completely diverged from the foundations due that, since the whole market changed to action. The same happened to Resident Evil franchise, since 4 the series changes from survival-horror to fast-paced-action, something that almost killed the whole franchise until 7 and REmake 2 happened (and they started to go into downfall again after REmake 3). I feel the same it's happening with metroid but it won't kill the franchise, because apparently this change is good for the bussiness.

Dread is an abomination for all (and more) reasons I've already stated, not because "it deviates from the formula". Seizure inducing visuals + bad picks on mehanics from my pov it's what makes this game an abomination. Samus Returns at least looked good.

EDIT:

P.S: I've never played that "dust" game you've mentioned so much, is... this one?

Edited by vanaukas

55 minutes ago, vanaukas said:

Hyper Metroid is far more better game than Dread, and it's a fanamde hack for super metroid.

A good Metroid game it's one that focuses more on exploration and platforming rather than combat and fast paced action. That's why the "metroidvanias" aren't just "metroids", because Castlevania added the "fast paced action" that metroid lacked at that time. I was expecting a Metroid game, not a metroidvania, but I understand why they did it... It's the trend (starting to die right now tho) and they are a company on first place. Even Fusion was less fast paced and still kept you on the verge of fear due the SA-X encounters.

This is why I hate Prime games, while exploration it's very important, the "action" takes just too much screen for my taste and the series completely diverged from the foundations due that, since the whole market changed to action. The same happened to Resident Evil franchise, since 4 the series changes from survival-horror to fast-paced-action, something that almost killed the whole franchise until 7 and REmake 2 happened (and they started to go into downfall again after REmake 3). I feel the same it's happening with metroid but it won't kill the franchise, because apparently this change is good for the bussiness.

Dread is an abomination for all (and more) reasons I've already stated, not because "it deviates from the formula". Seizure inducing visuals + bad picks on mehanics from my pov it's what makes this game an abomination. Samus Returns at least looked good.

First of all, the visuals are not seizure inducing, any more than any game is. Let's keep things accurate, and not make accusations because of personal taste. Frankly speaking, I think Super looks downright ugly at times (and not in the 'they intended this to be ugly' way), but it still has a distinct  visual design, and beyond that, it's subjective. Likewise, Dread has a properly cohesive design, and beyond that, the visuals are subjective.

Secondly, most of the reasons you've stated do very much come down to Dread deviating from the formula. It quickens the pace of the game, it increases the linearity for clarity purposes, it clarifies what happens (for reference, I had no problem following the plot without Adam filling things in for me, except in areas that are intentionally unclear) with text, and it makes item hunting more about solving the puzzle put before you than what is quite frankly shooting a random bit of wall with missiles or bombs and hoping. They even have made a genuine effort to try and make sure there's still sequence breaking, puzzles, non-linear areas and maze-like design and all the other Metroid staples in whilst also learning from games that are, to be entirely brutally honest, more successful than Metroid has ever been. That's why it's getting so much praise - Metroid has learned from its contemporaries, and is finally being rewarded for it. Calling it an abomination is nothing but being inflammatory.

5 hours ago, Loza03 said:

First of all, the visuals are not seizure inducing, any more than any game is. Let's keep things accurate, and not make accusations because of personal taste. Frankly speaking, I think Super looks downright ugly at times (and not in the 'they intended this to be ugly' way), but it still has a distinct  visual design, and beyond that, it's subjective. Likewise, Dread has a properly cohesive design, and beyond that, the visuals are subjective.

Secondly, most of the reasons you've stated do very much come down to Dread deviating from the formula. It quickens the pace of the game, it increases the linearity for clarity purposes, it clarifies what happens (for reference, I had no problem following the plot without Adam filling things in for me, except in areas that are intentionally unclear) with text, and it makes item hunting more about solving the puzzle put before you than what is quite frankly shooting a random bit of wall with missiles or bombs and hoping. They even have made a genuine effort to try and make sure there's still sequence breaking, puzzles, non-linear areas and maze-like design and all the other Metroid staples in whilst also learning from games that are, to be entirely brutally honest, more successful than Metroid has ever been. That's why it's getting so much praise - Metroid has learned from its contemporaries, and is finally being rewarded for it. Calling it an abomination is nothing but being inflammatory.

A lot of games doens't make my eyes hurt, I also don't understand how "this is my opinion" is somehting I need to state on every single statement I made here. You are free to disagree, I don't care.

And thinking Hollow Knight or Ori or any other contemporary metroidvania are more succesful than  Metroid it's just delusional, I don't care how inflamatory or whatever it sounds.

3 minutes ago, vanaukas said:

And thinking Hollow Knight or Ori or any other contemporary metroidvania are more succesful than  Metroid it's just delusional, I don't care how inflamatory or whatever it sounds.

Super Metroid sold around 1.42 million copies by 2014, Fusion around 1.6, and Prime 1 2.8 (Source: https://www.resetera.com/threads/nintendo-software-and-hardware-sales-data-from-1983-to-present.2725/), 

Hollow Knight, as of 2019, has sold around 2.8 million copies, making it about as successful as Prime 1 in a far shorter timeframe. Ori and the Will of the Wisps likewise has sold over 2 million under similar conditions, making it more successful than than any 2D Metroid game has ever been.

Well, apart from Dread, if predictions are to be believed.

Besides, your opinion that Metroid Dread isn't inflammatory, the fact you feel the need to rain on other peoples parade with hyperbolic claims and attacks on other fans.

10 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

Super Metroid sold around 1.42 million copies by 2014, Fusion around 1.6, and Prime 1 2.8 (Source: https://www.resetera.com/threads/nintendo-software-and-hardware-sales-data-from-1983-to-present.2725/), 

Hollow Knight, as of 2019, has sold around 2.8 million copies, making it about as successful as Prime 1 in a far shorter timeframe. Ori and the Will of the Wisps likewise has sold over 2 million under similar conditions, making it more successful than than any 2D Metroid game has ever been.

Well, apart from Dread, if predictions are to be believed.

Besides, your opinion that Metroid Dread isn't inflammatory, the fact you feel the need to rain on other peoples parade with hyperbolic claims and attacks on other fans.

Youa re literally comparing Digital purchases with Catridge purchases, with different prices and obviously missing the point on the PC vs Console needs to play them.

On what parade I'm raining? I'm just giving an unwanted opinion, a rant, the fact you like or not this game is completely irrelevant for me and my opinion on the game. I feel you are taking this too personally for no reason, since I put the Pirme fans thing, when I even talked about why I hate pñrime (action over exploration) and I don't understand how that's "inflammatorry, unnecesarilly rude" or anything. I don't think an action focused game it's bad, I think a metroid action focused game it's bad. I cna't understand how that's so easy to miss that I need to explain it again 

EDIT

In fact I'm gonna go an step further and ask you directly: Why the hell you quoted me on first place? I didn't wanted to go into discussion and avoided quoting a different opinion for that same reason, since it's just freaking tastes for me. I can't understand it, seriously.

Edited by vanaukas

9 hours ago, vanaukas said:

Youa re literally comparing Digital purchases with Catridge purchases, with different prices and obviously missing the point on the PC vs Console needs to play them.

There are other factors, but Metroid is famous for never selling well. It's not like Samus Returns (Roughly 500,000 copies) wasn't on a popular platform, with digital sales to supplement it either.

9 hours ago, vanaukas said:

On what parade I'm raining? I'm just giving an unwanted opinion, a rant, the fact you like or not this game is completely irrelevant for me and my opinion on the game. I feel you are taking this too personally for no reason, since I put the Pirme fans thing, when I even talked about why I hate pñrime (action over exploration) and I don't understand how that's "inflammatorry, unnecesarilly rude" or anything. I don't think an action focused game it's bad, I think a metroid action focused game it's bad. I cna't understand how that's so easy to miss that I need to explain it again 

EDIT

In fact I'm gonna go an step further and ask you directly: Why the hell you quoted me on first place? I didn't wanted to go into discussion and avoided quoting a different opinion for that same reason, since it's just freaking tastes for me. I can't understand it, seriously.

"*Popular game* is a piece of S#&$, an abomination, and the worst game in the franchise, the devs are trash" is an take presented in an inflammatory way at the best of times. It uses inflammatory language (mainly profanity and negative hyperbole). So is any kind of attack being incorporated into an argument. The latter especially is practically the definition of being rude and inflammatory, since attacking people adds nothing, and makes those reading feel bad and/or angry.

More so than that, however, I don't buy that you didn't want to get into discussion, since you knew people were discussing it, and very positively, and then pointed out you hated it, and that it's the worst game in the franchise, five metaphorical feet away from them, including an attack which had a distinct chance of including one or both of them. Why would you walk into a thread where people were clearly enjoying Metroid Dread and then decide to give a speech about how it's S#&$ rather than presenting your arguments in a calm and rational manner, or simply going somewhere else to yell about how much you hated it, if you didn't at least intend to rile up the people who were enjoying it?

2 hours ago, Loza03 said:

There are other factors, but Metroid is famous for never selling well. It's not like Samus Returns (Roughly 500,000 copies) wasn't on a popular platform, with digital sales to supplement it either.

"*Popular game* is a piece of S#&$, an abomination, and the worst game in the franchise, the devs are trash" is an take presented in an inflammatory way at the best of times. It uses inflammatory language (mainly profanity and negative hyperbole). So is any kind of attack being incorporated into an argument. The latter especially is practically the definition of being rude and inflammatory, since attacking people adds nothing, and makes those reading feel bad and/or angry.

More so than that, however, I don't buy that you didn't want to get into discussion, since you knew people were discussing it, and very positively, and then pointed out you hated it, and that it's the worst game in the franchise, five metaphorical feet away from them, including an attack which had a distinct chance of including one or both of them. Why would you walk into a thread where people were clearly enjoying Metroid Dread and then decide to give a speech about how it's S#&$ rather than presenting your arguments in a calm and rational manner, or simply going somewhere else to yell about how much you hated it, if you didn't at least intend to rile up the people who were enjoying it?

What attack? Saying "It's probably liked by Prime fans" (aka people who value action over exploration, somethinjg I literally said here before this 2 last comments?). I don't like the game for a lot of reasons you try to invalidate, there is no point in discussion when 2 views are just that far and that was my first impression when I saw both people here praising somehting that I didn't find worthy of praise at all, I didn't wanted to initiate a discussion because there was no point on doing it. I won't change your POV and you can't change mine, I think this is a "you love it or you hate it" kind of game (like, IDK, Death Stranding, I love that game and a lot of people hate it).

Put down your sueprhero cape dude, there wasn't an attack here but you personally took ofence on that for no reason. Apparently the other user took it perfectly fine and we had a civil discussion that didn't involved calling out imaginary attacks or something. I know some people is addicted to try to do some justice daily and everywhere, but this is ridiculous, this isn't even a nintendo or metroid forum or a metroid thread on first place. I thought we could talk about everything here, but apparently if you aren't part of the "fun crowd", you aren't allowed to talk...

I think that maybe you are overreacting by my comment overreacting  on a videogame that doesn't even relate to this one, took offense over a comment for people who value action over exploration in the series and because of that they prise/like the game? Because, maybe, the game is action focused, fitting their tastes? Because that's literally what I said and I can't see the "rude, inflammatory, derogative, apocalyptic, open world, crafting" or whatever comment there. 

I need to quote myself so you stop trying to pull the freaking "hateful, malicious inflammatory, inciting, inciendary, parallelepiped" or whatever epithet you want to use to refer on me for stating my literally harmless opinions for a game in a S#&$post thread or I just need to ignore you for being that unreasonable for thinking you can read my mind or something?

Don't try "read between lines", doens't fit you well at all.

On 2021-10-12 at 3:18 AM, vanaukas said:

So I played Metroid Dread and it's by far the worst official metroid ever made, I can't understand the praise on this, probably it's from Metroid Prime fans since this abomination S#&$s on everything that made the 2d ones a genre defining pieces in gaming. It's like they managed to #*!% it up even more after Samus Returns, which was already bad compared to AM2R which is far more better, even if it's fanmade.

Wanna play a good metroid game? Play Hyper Metroid. It's impressive how fans can design tiles even better than the ones in charge of metroid right now. What a sad day.

Seriously, dude, if you really can't see how this wouldn't be taken as 'Prime fans have have made the franchise worse', or how giving this kind of speech immediately after people were talking about how much they enjoyed Metroid Dread would cause those people to feel hurt and/or angry, then I don't know what else to say.

Also, we also managed to have a mostly-civil discussion. I wasn't the one who added things like describing the graphics as 'seizure-inducing' (which is to say, you're claiming that the game is dangerous, not just that you don't like it), as well as persisting with the hyperbolic language. I never called Super an abomination or anything, did I?

1 minute ago, Loza03 said:

Seriously, dude, if you really can't see how this wouldn't be taken as 'Prime fans have have made the franchise worse', or how giving this kind of speech immediately after people were talking about how much they enjoyed Metroid Dread would cause those people to feel hurt and/or angry, then I don't know what else to say.

Also, we also managed to have a mostly-civil discussion. I wasn't the one who added things like describing the graphics as 'seizure-inducing' (which is to say, you're claiming that the game is dangerous, not just that you don't like it), as well as persisting with the hyperbolic language. I never called Super an abomination or anything, did I?

Of course prime fans made the series worse... Worse for me, of coruse. I even stated that financially the franchise won't die and the game will be a success. I understand that my feelings doesn't need to be pandered and dev and companies are allowed to produce any S#&$ they want.

My eyes really hurts and I'm having headches due playing this game (as it happened with warframe in the past, somehting that I've reported multiple times until I discovered how to fix it on my end). And yes was hyperbolic, congratulations on noticing it.

Your opinion on Super is irrelevant for me, so say what you want, I'll still love stuff even when others hate it. It's called "having opinion and tastes".

But yes, I didn't want to "hurt" or anything, I was just venting ona thread where people usually vents on meaningless stuff for the sake of doing it.

I think this sums up the situation here perfectly imo:

Puede ser una captura de pantalla de Twitter de 1 persona y texto que dice "honest jabe @jaynooch Hi, most annoying person you've ever encountered here! I noticed this post you wrote in 3 seconds doesn't line up with every experience I've ever had. This is extremely harmful to me, the main character of the universe, 5:11 AM 10/7/21・ Twitter for iPhone 9,156 Retweets 296 Quote Tweets 79.5K Likes"

3 hours ago, vanaukas said:

Of course prime fans made the series worse... Worse for me, of coruse. I even stated that financially the franchise won't die and the game will be a success. I understand that my feelings doesn't need to be pandered and dev and companies are allowed to produce any S#&$ they want.

My eyes really hurts and I'm having headches due playing this game (as it happened with warframe in the past, somehting that I've reported multiple times until I discovered how to fix it on my end). And yes was hyperbolic, congratulations on noticing it.

Your opinion on Super is irrelevant for me, so say what you want, I'll still love stuff even when others hate it. It's called "having opinion and tastes".

But yes, I didn't want to "hurt" or anything, I was just venting ona thread where people usually vents on meaningless stuff for the sake of doing it.

I think this sums up the situation here perfectly imo:

Puede ser una captura de pantalla de Twitter de 1 persona y texto que dice "honest jabe @jaynooch Hi, most annoying person you've ever encountered here! I noticed this post you wrote in 3 seconds doesn't line up with every experience I've ever had. This is extremely harmful to me, the main character of the universe, 5:11 AM 10/7/21・ Twitter for iPhone 9,156 Retweets 296 Quote Tweets 79.5K Likes"

Let me get this straight.

You walk into a thread where people are having fun, loudly exclaim that "I hate this thing that you like, and you may be responsible for my hatred of this thing", and you then get offended to the point of insult when people tell you that blaming other people for the fact that a video game wasn't to your taste is, quite frankly, a $&*^ move?

You're entitled to your opinions, but you're equally entitled to be called out when you express those opinions in a manner and/or context that's inappropriate for whatever reason, or for blaming others of negative opinions you hold. I don't give a flip about how much you didn't enjoy Dread, but how and when you expressed that opinion, in particular your quickness to pin the blame on another group of people was, quite frankly, just you being a $&*^.

2 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

Let me get this straight.

You walk into a thread where people are having fun, loudly exclaim that "I hate this thing that you like, and you may be responsible for my hatred of this thing", and you then get offended to the point of insult when people tell you that blaming other people for the fact that a video game wasn't to your taste is, quite frankly, a $&*^ move?

You're entitled to your opinions, but you're equally entitled to be called out when you express those opinions in a manner and/or context that's inappropriate for whatever reason, or for blaming others of negative opinions you hold. I don't give a flip about how much you didn't enjoy Dread, but how and when you expressed that opinion, in particular your quickness to pin the blame on another group of people was, quite frankly, just you being a $&*^.

Ok, I'll have this in mind the next time, master of the universe. I'll be careful to express any opinion in your prescence, oh migthy warframe user. I hope this is enough to saciate your justice thirst.

Just now, vanaukas said:

Ok, I'll have this in mind the next time, master of the universe. I'll be careful to express any opinion in your prescence, oh migthy warframe user. I hope this is enough to saciate your justice thirst.

Please actually read what people write, it usually helps.

Just now, vanaukas said:

I can't, I'm too bussy trying to not step on eggs here!

You're kind of proving my point here though because you don't seem willing to fully digest what's being expressed. You're just making a fool of yourself right now, and believe it or not, that's the least of my priorities.