Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Last post wins

Mr.ElevenXI

2 hours ago, KernelWizard said:

Anyone here gonna play Hogwarts Legacy? I bought the game (not pre-order, so have to wait for tomorrow). Not sure if my pc can handle it though, if not I gotta refund lmao. 

Not my type of game, but I heard it got massive preorders due to/despite the usual controversies.

Personally, I like the Harry Potter books as a sort of literary comfort food, easily digestible and naively wholesome, when I want a low intensity break from my usual reading, be it fiction, non-fiction or academia.

My youngest nephew loves the Harry potter books, and I scored extra uncle points, when I gave him woolen socks for christmas with the added comment "You can never have too many woolen socks". Yeah... I'm that uncle. 😀

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MagPrime said:

Got all the permits, tiny house is moving this weekend to the parents place.

Heyyy! Congrats to that.

I took a gander at some finnish multifunctional huts, figuring if those could be used for saunas, they should have the ability to keep the cold out as well as the heat in.

Something like this:

Grillkata25m2_530x@2x.jpg?v=1600866959

Kota-finlandais.jpg.webp

They come in different diameters and wall setups, and I reckon one could merge 2-3 together to get some sort of Hagrid hut out of it. They've gone up in price since I last looked at them, though, with something like 50% or so.

Swedes are also good at building wooden houses that can withstand scandinavian weather. I remember in Foteviken, where several huts were placed outside the museum area to serve as housing for workers and other employees. Warm and cozy, even in the freezing winter. Still spent my nights in their authentic viking age houses, though, cold as they may be. 😆 Can't be a viking without the full experience.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Yrkul said:

Heyyy! Congrats to that.

I took a gander at some finnish multifunctional huts, figuring if those could be used for saunas, they should have the ability to keep the cold out as well as the heat in.

Something like this:

Kota-finlandais.jpg.webp

They come in different diameters and wall setups, and I reckon one could merge 2-3 together to get some sort of Hagrid hut out of it. They've gone up in price since I last looked at them, though, with something like 50% or so.

Swedes are also good at building wooden houses that can withstand scandinavian weather. I remember in Foteviken, where several huts were placed outside the museum area to serve as housing for workers and other employees. Warm and cozy, even in the freezing winter. Still spent my nights in their authentic viking age houses, though, cold as they may be. 😆 Can't be a viking without the full experience.

I've seen those being sold in my area, adorable and not awfully expensive out here.  My brother is wanting one once he gets some land. 

• Like 1

Some years back it was all the rage to convert old water towers into domiciles. At one time I even hear of a tower for sale for 1DKR... Yep. Less than a dollar. Too remote for my needs, though. And with what I get in retirement, it's probably going to stay a dream until the housing market collapses under its overinflated weight. Oh, well. If Peter Zeihan is right, things are going to change, in one direction or another.

Until then, though, I can always dream of something like this:

af13bc2a-8877-4cea-83fd-2cd1ca8568cf_1_9

Or this. This one is in England.

Tower_House,_Penhurst_Hill,_Penhurst,_Ea

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KernelWizard said:

Anyone here gonna play Hogwarts Legacy? I bought the game (not pre-order, so have to wait for tomorrow). Not sure if my pc can handle it though, if not I gotta refund lmao. 

Not really, it isn't my type of game and other personal reasons.

1 hour ago, Yrkul said:

Heyyy! Congrats to that.

Something like this:

Kota-finlandais.jpg.webp

Those look nice, I love "bare" wood. My cousin parents has made one in their garden, though a bit different but it is nice.

2 hours ago, MagPrime said:

Got all the permits, tiny house is moving this weekend to the parents place.

Neat, how shall it be decorated/used?

35 minutes ago, Nova-IX said:

Neat, how shall it be decorated/used?

I'mma live in it.  Getting a solar package to put on top (my parents property has no trees) then I have to finish the inside with bathroom/kitchen/walls.  

Things escalated quickly this morning though, my cousin wants to take the trailer up to the parents place today ASAP, so now I'm splitting up my work day and trying to get everything ready that I thought I had another 24+ hours to do.

The crazy thing is, my cost of living is going to drop by ~$1,000/month and 'm getting about twice as much space as I currently have splitting an apartment.  

Edited by MagPrime
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, MagPrime said:

I'mma live in it.  Getting a solar package to put on top (my parents property has no trees) then I have to finish the inside with bathroom/kitchen/walls.  

Things escalated quickly this morning though, my cousin wants to take the trailer up to the parents place today ASAP, so now I'm splitting up my work day and trying to get everything ready that I thought I had another 24+ hours to do.

Oh that sounds nice, solar panels for these things are amazing.

Ooof, I have when stuff like that happens, I really don't like when my plans changes suddenly, so stressful.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MagPrime said:

I can see it.

Hide contents

Dune' Director Is Making a TV Show About the Bene Gesserit (aka the  Original Jedi)

The Bene Gesserit in the books are kinda scary. In Chapterhouse Dune they're mentioning a lot of the more..... esoteric capabilities of the order.

Which reminds me it's about time I read through the first 6 books again.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Yrkul said:

The Bene Gesserit in the books are kinda scary. In Chapterhouse Dune they're mentioning a lot of the more..... esoteric capabilities of the order.

Which reminds me it's about time I read through the first 6 books again.

They're really scary in the books lol although I don't know if they're worse than the Bene Tleilax, considering what they did with their female population. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, MagPrime said:

The crazy thing is, my cost of living is going to drop by ~$1,000/month and 'm getting about twice as much space as I currently have splitting an apartment.

That is nice to hear. Keeping CoL managable gives a lot of freedom and the ability to take unforseeable expenses on the chin without reeling.

Right now I'm investing the extra money I get in things like tools for leatherworking and general repair/refurbishing, as well as good quality clothing, that'll stay servicable for a decade+. Manufacture looks like it'll become more localized, which means higher cost for everything. Getting milspec/hunter grade gear and proper tools means I can extend everything's lifespan for a very long time. I'm also getting better at sewing/tailoring, and I'm repairing the odd clothing and leatherware for friends and family.

7 minutes ago, Yrkul said:

That is nice to hear. Keeping CoL managable gives a lot of freedom and the ability to take unforseeable expenses on the chin without reeling.

Right now I'm investing the extra money I get in things like tools for leatherworking and general repair/refurbishing, as well as good quality clothing, that'll stay servicable for a decade+. Manufacture looks like it'll become more localized, which means higher cost for everything. Getting milspec/hunter grade gear and proper tools means I can extend everything's lifespan for a very long time. I'm also getting better at sewing/tailoring, and I'm repairing the odd clothing and leatherware for friends and family.

I tend to repair over replace, saves a lot on money every year.  Bought some patterns for certain garments that are rather expensive for me so I can simply produce my own & have them fit better, as well as last longer.  When it comes to other things, even cheap stuff tends to last for me as I use it sparingly and only for myself.  My first roommate kept all the kitchen stuff we got at the Dollar Store and kept it serviceable for years by just, taking care of it.  It's amazing how long something can last if you put tinfoil down first or go with a sous vide method. 

Recently made the choice to get a new car though.  It's heart breaking to turn lose of the doomskate after almost 15 years but life changed and I needed something with better mileage than 28.  The day I agreed to sell it, the doorhandles stopped working.  

Sad Cry GIF by mushroommovie

21 minutes ago, MagPrime said:

I tend to repair over replace, saves a lot on money every year.  Bought some patterns for certain garments that are rather expensive for me so I can simply produce my own & have them fit better, as well as last longer.  When it comes to other things, even cheap stuff tends to last for me as I use it sparingly and only for myself.  My first roommate kept all the kitchen stuff we got at the Dollar Store and kept it serviceable for years by just, taking care of it.  It's amazing how long something can last if you put tinfoil down first or go with a sous vide method. 

Recently made the choice to get a new car though.  It's heart breaking to turn lose of the doomskate after almost 15 years but life changed and I needed something with better mileage than 28.  The day I agreed to sell it, the doorhandles stopped working.  

About half of my kitchenware is hand-me-down from my mother and father, some I remember from my early childhood. The rest is mainly japanese stoneware (great workmanship and very sturdy), Raadvad pots and knives (danish company with a long history of quality), and thrift store goodies.

Never got around to get a driver's licence. Bikes and public transport was more convenient for me, and at this point, with my spells of dizziness it wouldn't be prudent getting onto a bike, let alone behing a steering wheel.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Yrkul said:

About half of my kitchenware is hand-me-down from my mother and father, some I remember from my early childhood. The rest is mainly japanese stoneware (great workmanship and very sturdy), Raadvad pots and knives (danish company with a long history of quality), and thrift store goodies.

Never got around to get a driver's licence. Bikes and public transport was more convenient for me, and at this point, with my spells of dizziness it wouldn't be prudent getting onto a bike, let alone behing a steering wheel.

I got a super fancy matching pot/pan set as a gift in my 20's that I still have, then I was given a couple cast iron skillets and a knife that's older than I am.  All of it is still in great condition and I don't really need to buy new kitchen stuff beyond cutting boards. 

Good chance I never would have gotten my license or a car if I had stayed in the metro area.  But I've been zipping hither and yon ever since I got it, living in rural areas with no public transit (or sidewalks) all the way back to metro areas.   My own dizzy spells don't let long and I tend to just, take my foot off the gas pedal as a reflex, so that's really helped with those.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MagPrime said:

Fixing stuff is great, especially when it has more useable life in it. I have clothes that has lasted for almost 10 years now. The kitchenware I bought when first moving out is almost like new. I don't like wasting stuff, so I try to keep it in service for as long as possible. If not possible, recycled or somebody else that make use of it.

I owned my brother's old car, had it for a bit over 4 years. I am very happy for it, as it is special to me, and then life decided to S#&$ on it. First I get a surprise deer to jump out in front right after work, was quite stressful. Then less than a month after that, somebody reversed into in the parking lot and it got totalled. My mental state was totalled as well.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Nova-IX said:

Fixing stuff is great, especially when it has more useable life in it. I have clothes that has lasted for almost 10 years now. The kitchenware I bought when first moving out is almost like new. I don't like wasting stuff, so I try to keep it in service for as long as possible. If not possible, recycled or somebody else that make use of it.

I owned my brother's old car, had it for a bit over 4 years. I am very happy for it, as it is special to me, and then life decided to S#&$ on it. First I get a surprise deer to jump out in front right after work, was quite stressful. Then less than a month after that, somebody reversed into in the parking lot and it got totalled. My mental state was totalled as well.

I'm sorry about the car, deer are a nightmare out where my sister lives & she's lost 3 vehicles to them.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nova-IX said:

When life hands you deer and stupid humans... 8d162fb14aecdd55.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Yrkul said:

Some years back it was all the rage to convert old water towers into domiciles. At one time I even hear of a tower for sale for 1DKR... Yep. Less than a dollar. Too remote for my needs, though. And with what I get in retirement, it's probably going to stay a dream until the housing market collapses under its overinflated weight. Oh, well. If Peter Zeihan is right, things are going to change, in one direction or another.

Until then, though, I can always dream of something like this:

af13bc2a-8877-4cea-83fd-2cd1ca8568cf_1_9

Or this. This one is in England.

Tower_House,_Penhurst_Hill,_Penhurst,_Ea

Late reply but man I'd sure want to live in one of these for sure. It looks really medieval, and I love fantasy stuffs man. My own watchtower or something. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, MagPrime said:

I'm sorry about the car, deer are a nightmare out where my sister lives & she's lost 3 vehicles to them.

Yikes, sorry to hear about that. That is rough, I hope they are okay.

This was one was close to the city in an area where you wouldn't expect it. Caught me completely off guard.
I have seen that there exist deer whistles things, that makes noises once you reach a certain speed, which they can hear and they either freeze or run away. I am considering getting that, because I want to avoid this happening as much as possible.

15 hours ago, Yrkul said:

When life hands you deer and stupid humans... 8d162fb14aecdd55.jpg

Oh yes, at this point it is almost necessary. It is like covid lockdown made peoples driving fall off a cliff, which is very uncomfortable. At least that thing will give zero feks if they hit you.
On my not so wide and curvy road out to the highway, most of the time I always end up with somebody that has to get really uncomfortably close. I don't get it, I wont go fast only slower when they do that. And it is not like they can see what is around the corner and sometimes that is a truck.

15 hours ago, gamingchair1121 said:

ayyy first try lol

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Congratulations! Fits well with the track.

• Like 1