Jump to content
elitharcos

Rework Electromagnetic Shielding

Recommended Posts

Currently with new melee system we cannot use this mod

I think the mod should be reworked from "While blocking" to "While having your melee equipped".

The reason is because it wouldn't change much and people equipping the mod would probably know about it's effects so they take it for themselves.

I still think changing the "equip melee weapon and block" to "hit with melee and stay that way as long as you don't shoot" was a bad idea. Most veterans got used to it and just switched ASAP. It wasn't needed at all. At least give a button for blocking too then just like for channeling. or change all mods that require blocking.

  • Applause 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the same could be said of almost any block-based mod at this point: autoblock as a mechanic is clunky and takes blocking out of the player's control, which has ruined mods that assumed manual blocking as their mode of input. Personally, I think the solution here should be to revert to manual blocking by combining it with aiming down sights, rather than to rework Electromagnetic Shielding or other blocking mods, because even beyond its negative impact on mods, autoblock is almost universally considered to be a downgrade from the previous system, due to how it consistently messes up the player's actions (e.g. by interrupting certain attacks and combos, especially on gunblades with High Noon, or by forcing mini-bursts of involuntary aim-gliding).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, elitharcos said:

I still think changing the "equip melee weapon and block" to "hit with melee and stay that way as long as you don't shoot" was a bad idea. Most veterans got used to it and just switched ASAP. It wasn't needed at all. At least give a button for blocking too then just like for channeling. or change all mods that require blocking.

Channelling itself is going away in Melee 3.0, as far as I'm aware. I'm personally a fan of auto-block and would rather fix it than scrap it, because its current issues are largely implementational. Autoblock needs to be of the lowest possible animation priority, meaning it can't interrupt any action (that it can't run concurrently with, i.e. movement) and every action can interrupt it. Once you do that, then there's no harm in simply enabling auto-block at all times regardless of which weapon is equipped. The player would thus block by "doing nothing." Want to block? Face the enemy and take your hands off your combat controls - your Warframe will block on its own. That also solves your issue of block-specific mods, as well.

I personally find a PROPERLY IMPLEMENTED autoblock system to be simpler, faster and more convenient than either weapon-specific keybinds or more keybinds. Current auto-block just isn't properly implemented.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Steel_Rook said:

Channelling itself is going away in Melee 3.0, as far as I'm aware. I'm personally a fan of auto-block and would rather fix it than scrap it, because its current issues are largely implementational. Autoblock needs to be of the lowest possible animation priority, meaning it can't interrupt any action (that it can't run concurrently with, i.e. movement) and every action can interrupt it. Once you do that, then there's no harm in simply enabling auto-block at all times regardless of which weapon is equipped. The player would thus block by "doing nothing." Want to block? Face the enemy and take your hands off your combat controls - your Warframe will block on its own. That also solves your issue of block-specific mods, as well.

I personally find a PROPERLY IMPLEMENTED autoblock system to be simpler, faster and more convenient than either weapon-specific keybinds or more keybinds. Current auto-block just isn't properly implemented. 

Have you even read the text on Electromagnetic Shielding? The whole idea behind it is to buff your teammates while blocking. You cannot do that if you have no control over when you block.

I agree with the animation weighting issue. I agree that auto-block in general is a good idea of the animation override issue is fixed. But neither of those will fix Electromagnetic Shielding, because the mod is literally built around blocking when you aren't taking damage, but your teammates are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2019-07-13 at 5:42 PM, -AoN-CanoLathra- said:

I agree with the animation weighting issue. I agree that auto-block in general is a good idea of the animation override issue is fixed. But neither of those will fix Electromagnetic Shielding, because the mod is literally built around blocking when you aren't taking damage, but your teammates are.

DE left quite a few loose ends in the game which don't match the Melee 3.0 changes. All of the Channelling-related mods will need to be changed when that goes away, for instance. I've seen the description for Electromagnetic Shielding, yes, and I'm of the opinion that the mod itself needs to change considering blocking is no longer a manually-chosen state. I'm not entirely sure what a good alternative would be be, but there are options. I'm of the opinion that releasing Melee 3.0 in pieces like they did was a mistake, because all people look at for quite some time is a partially-finished system and over-focus on the problems this causes.

  • Applause 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 2019-07-14 at 10:30 PM, Steel_Rook said:

DE left quite a few loose ends in the game which don't match the Melee 3.0 changes. All of the Channelling-related mods will need to be changed when that goes away, for instance. I've seen the description for Electromagnetic Shielding, yes, and I'm of the opinion that the mod itself needs to change considering blocking is no longer a manually-chosen state. I'm not entirely sure what a good alternative would be be, but there are options. I'm of the opinion that releasing Melee 3.0 in pieces like they did was a mistake, because all people look at for quite some time is a partially-finished system and over-focus on the problems this causes.

but tbh, i hate all of those changes.

Since the melee update i never used anything other than:

Zenistar - it's literally a projectile i just leave it on ground not even a melee more like a good trap to me

Twin Basolk - Fun for teleporting tho, but could do it even before melee changes.

Redeemer - Shoot shoot shoot, also shattering impact for that 1 armor left from corrosive.(if my warframe doesn'T oneshot bosses anyway...)

 

And i used to love things like ack and brunt with electromagnetic shielding for example, because if things got tough a bit for others or smth i could just pull it up like "ohh, don't worry". and i used to love orvius too but the whole melee change ruined it for me. I loved taking my melee over my weapon. Maybe it should've been made so you can manually equip your melee too and if you do so the game considers like you don't have primary and secondary so you can block and channel like before.  but if you press the buttons again your weapons come back and can swift switch to primary/secondary.

Edited by elitharcos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...