Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Discussion on Wukong Deluxe

SnoozecoopYT

1 minute ago, (NSW)FlameDivinity said:

It's cool bro. My point is never to convince someone of something, just talk about it. I'm welcome to all opinions and am happy you like the skin. I, myself, really feel like it's the outlines, like a few others have posted here. I feel like if it wasn't so much, it would look nicer. I also feel like the texture oddities (in my opinion) are due to the skin not being finalized. I will wait to form an proper opinion until it's released, but my current opinion stands at, "The outlining of the rocks is visually overwhelming, please tone it down."

Hmm, well, the outlining doesn't phase me. I quite like it.

I see the above image using a single rock and adding outlines to it, however I see that as an inaccurate representation, personally. I propose you look at like this, instead of a singular rock it's a lot of rocks, all compressed together and then sanded and smoothed down to create the shape.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

Hmm, well, the outlining doesn't phase me. I quite like it.

I see the above image using a single rock and adding outlines to it, however I see that as an inaccurate representation, personally. I propose you look at like this, instead of a singular rock it's a lot of rocks, all compressed together and then sanded and smoothed down to create the shape.

Hmm, I see. That's how I was looking at it and I didn't like it, but I think my opinion may slightly change once I see it in-game. I really feel like the issue is how unfinished the skin is (optimization-wise), and once it's completed, it will look much better. But I still dislike the design route they went with the rocky-ness, as the matte-like texture is one of the things that drove me toward the skin in the first place, as un-Warframe-y as matte is.

It looks like the concept art just didn't have any energy / emission colors. If you set those to black or a dark color I think it’ll look more like the concept.

I feel like DE took Wukong's nickname of the “stone monkey“ a bit too literally on this though. 

• Like 1

Just now, (NSW)FlameDivinity said:

Hmm, I see. That's how I was looking at it and I didn't like it, but I think my opinion may slightly change once I see it in-game. I really feel like the issue is how unfinished the skin is (optimization-wise), and once it's completed, it will look much better. But I still dislike the design route they went with the rocky-ness, as the matte-like texture is one of the things that drove me toward the skin in the first place, as un-Warframe-y as matte is.

Who knows, perhaps shoving the super dark black from the Valentine palette will have the desired effect.

Definitely worth waiting for it's release before deciding anyway, I'll be happy to post any required pictures of various colours in various lighting.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DeMonkey said:

Who knows, perhaps shoving the super dark black from the Valentine palette will have the desired effect.

Definitely worth waiting for it's release before deciding anyway, I'll be happy to post any required pictures of various colours in various lighting.

Yeah, that'd be nice, thanks. I'm definitely going to the true black in the Smoke palette for what I assume is probably his primary. I'll wait before release while selling my Nyx Prime parts for plat, then decide after you post images. It comes out on PC first anyway, and I'm betting I'll be drooling waiting for it to release on console once I see it in action.

It's official; this community will complain about literally anything involving deluxe skins.

We've gone from complaining about deluxe skins not looking like their concept arts to them looking too much like their concepts.

The model shown in the last stream if far more accurate to the concept than the first mock up people wanted for some reason.

Also for those who don't know Sun Wukong, the character our Wukong is literally based on, was a stone monkey who hatched from a magical stone egg. The stone based textures from the concept are clear allusions to this aspect of the character and the old model didn't express these features nearly as well as the concept was meant to.

Spoiler

ji105c.png

Edited by trst
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, (NSW)FlameDivinity said:

It wasn't centered on the look of the skin, as it was a thread created to ask when the skin would be releasing, then derailed. I wanted to create a focused thread.

Actually i created a focused thread on how he looked, my thread was just merged into that original thread for some reason- despite the different discussion i was trying to have, much like the one you're having here

Edited by Ryden

1 hour ago, trst said:

It's official; this community will complain about literally anything involving deluxe skins.

We've gone from complaining about deluxe skins not looking like their concept arts to them looking too much like their concepts.

The model shown in the last stream if far more accurate to the concept than the first mock up people wanted for some reason.

Also for those who don't know Sun Wukong, the character our Wukong is literally based on, was a stone monkey who hatched from a magical stone egg. The stone based textures from the concept are clear allusions to this aspect of the character and the old model didn't express these features nearly as well as the concept was meant to.

Reveal hidden contents

ji105c.png

Yeah wow what a surprise preferences exist. It's offical; this community will complain about literally anybody complaining about anything even skins they don't like. Don't worry next time I see something I don't like I won't give feedback and you shouldn't either considering all it is is complaining.

Edited by .Dracula.

6 hours ago, DeMonkey said:

Wukong was literally made out of stone, the intention from the very beginning was, presumably, for the Deluxe to build on that.

Whilst I can understand the surprise, knowing this I was never under the impression he would look like anything different, and I don't believe DE intended to give off a different impression. The difference between the concept and the shown skin is not all that different.

I did expand on it a little further a few posts down from where you quoted.

It's not the fact he's rocky, it's the 'type' of rock they're using compared with the concept art it doesn't seem 'right'.... even more so when you consider the amount of posts saying they don't like the 'rock' texture.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, (PS4)Cephalon_Snow said:

New helmet design reminds me of this..

Spoiler

H2qe3Hq.jpg

Haha nooooo! Why did you share this,whyy??? Now all I can see in him and I whose hoping to painting him hair white to bee more like a witcher Goku combine, and now im just disappointing in design because It remains me more in IT then some cool warrior... ah fk now I don't have to spend platinum on this

My problem is not 'metallic or rock'. 

It's that it looks like rock, period. 

It's already so difficult to match different helmets or armor pieces with the typical warframe body material, and the fact that helmets don't have a different dye channel disposition doesn't help. 

Having to deal with a complete different texture type is just the nail on the coffin for me.

Plus, I think the dark part of this skin (the Rocky one) covers way too much area, it risks to seem too monochromatic. 

I don't know, for now it's a no buy for me, I'll wait to see it in game for a proper judgment. 

It's a very busy design and they chose to highlight the busy aspects...which made it look even more busy than it initially did, pushing it over the top.

It just needs toned down a little and it would be fine...less highlighted lines, for example. Just highlight the lines that follow the contour of the body and not the contour of every single nook and cranny. Basically, less is more... Make the majority of the lines subtle...and just have a few of those accentuated glimmering lines for show. Looks great on the arms and upper chest...but it's too chaotic everywhere else.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, (PS4)Onder6099 said:

doesn’t have Spikes on shoulders, can’t imagine how annoying they will become while aiming.

The shoulder spikes look like they could be Armor parts, so all hope is not lost for those who liked them. As for aiming, there are skins that make these transparent for the player so they don't get in the way. Chroma Dynasty's shoulder spikes do this, and I expect the potential StoneKong ones will too.