Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Discussion on Wukong Deluxe

SnoozecoopYT

9 hours ago, (NSW)FlameDivinity said:

Same. I was more hyped for that skin then I was for Nezha's deluxe skin, which I purchased immediately upon obtaining Nezha. But after what I saw today, if this is the final build, there is no way I'm buying it. The early sculpt looked like the coolest thing (aesthetically) I've ever seen in Warframe, but this more final rendition is completely hideous. It's just really ugly. Like, the complete opposite of what it was. I'm unbelievably disappointed.

I can understand this sentiment.  The early sculpt/concept render has a wild, kinetic energy and animalistic quality to it that you can feel.

While not “hideous”, you can see how these traits are lost in what we were shown...it falls flat and feels like a guy wearing ornamental combat armor.

And that is disheartening/disappointing when you look at how spectacular the Nezha/NYX Deluxe and Wukong Prime skins turned out.

Let’s see what DE does.  We are a rambunctious and critical lot, but our hearts are in the right place.

In short, I’d also buy what was shown, but won’t buy the final product without changes.

Edited by (PS4)Silverback73

i would buy the shoulder armors if they came separate. I don't really play wukong that much but I do like the deluxe skin, I think if they offered the armor set separate more people who don't play wukong would buy it also and for those who play wukong it wont change the fact that most would want those pieces as well to complete the set. this is all IF's

8 hours ago, CephalonDizzy said:

It looks like the concept art just didn't have any energy / emission colors. If you set those to black or a dark color I think it’ll look more like the concept.

I feel like DE took Wukong's nickname of the “stone monkey“ a bit too literally on this though. 

Way too much “Stone”...not enough “Monkey King” is the general consensus...

as in stagnant and lifeless like a rock or suit of clunky armor with a helm made to look like hair.

...vs kinetic, energetic, and feral/ferocious like a proper Monkey King should be.

See Nezha for how a Deluxe skin goes “next level” on Warframe theme.

18 minutes ago, (PS4)Silverback73 said:

The Monkey King was stone. That's what he was, a stone monkey.

He's too much like the Monkey King that he's not enough like the Monkey King?

Yeah, after seeing it...it did become a hard pass...which also happened with Atlas's deluxe for me. They both failed to appeal to my wallet and they come off  like rushed rocky elemental jobs that are just awful when compared to some of the other deluxe skins like Nehza, Nyx, and the Sentient Limbo variant...Thankfully though DE smartly got themselves out of getting trapped into painting themselves into a corner with one deluxe per frame...

Edited by (PS4)FriendSharkey

3 hours ago, (PS4)Silverback73 said:

as in stagnant and lifeless like a rock or suit of clunky armor with a helm made to look like hair.

...vs kinetic, energetic, and feral/ferocious like a proper Monkey King should be.

See Nezha for how a Deluxe skin goes “next level” on Warframe theme.

He's known as the "stone monkey" because he literally jumped out of a stone from his origin story.  He only became the Monkey King later

I'm just guessing this is why DE textured him that way, as a reference to his origin story.  However, Wukong is born from stone, but not literally made of stone (well, actually I don't remember it being specified, he's just referred to sometimes as "stone monkey" because of his birth), so that's why I think DE kind of went overboard with it.

I'm probably still going to get it though, since with the right color scheme / energy he could still look nice. .

Edited by CephalonDizzy

7 hours ago, DeMonkey said:

The Monkey King was stone. That's what he was, a stone monkey.

He's too much like the Monkey King that he's not enough like the Monkey King?

Well the stories I've seen says he was born from stone, not that he was actually a stone monkey.... most visual representations of him don't show him as being made from stone either so while there is obviously some creative liberties being made by DE with incorporating stone into the design I think most people were expecting a different type of stone to be used. 

The original concept had a much more 'softer' matt texture to the stone, more like hardening lava than something like cut flint that's in the model we were shown on devstream. 

I don't think anyone complaining is actually complaining about the use of stone in the design, it's more to do with the translation of the 'stone' parts from the original concept art to the 3D model.

23 hours ago, Ryden said:

Screenshot-20190726-174905-You-Tube.jpgScreenshot-20190726-174852-You-Tube.jpg

What happened to this look? It seems like the 3D model stayed true to the concept art in this first look, yet today's Wukong deluxe looks like he's made of stone, among other obvious aesthetic differences. He doesn't look terribly bad, but he definitely falls short of expectations, especially given that there did appear to be a fully realized sculpt of the concept art. I would understand taking liberties with the design if the intricacies of the concept proved to be too challenging to adapt to the game, but this just seemed like an artistic decision to deviate from the pre-established version. Creative freedom is nice, but not so much when you've already created hype/expectations.

I sincerely hope, and beg, that this doesn't happen with Excal's upcoming deluxe skin, as far off as that might be. Please stay true and consistent to the concept art, as was the case with recent releases; namely nidus deluxe, atlas deluxe.

There was a throwaway line in the Devstream where the modeller of the skin messaged in the company chat (or something like that) that the Devstream peeps had forgotten to attach his armour. That's where the cool shoulder pieces are going to come in, thankfully. Without them he looks gooby as hell.

1 hour ago, LSG501 said:

Well the stories I've seen says he was born from stone, not that he was actually a stone monkey....

The version of "Journey to the West" that I've read states this explicitly.

"When the wind blew on this egg it turned into a stone monkey, complete with the five senses and four limbs. When the stone monkey had learned to crawl and walk, he bowed to each of the four quarters."

Source

16 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

The version of "Journey to the West" that I've read states this explicitly.

"When the wind blew on this egg it turned into a stone monkey, complete with the five senses and four limbs. When the stone monkey had learned to crawl and walk, he bowed to each of the four quarters."

Source

"ka is a wheel. Stand, and be true." "See the turtle, ain't he keen?" "All things serve the fin beam." 

Just thought it all sounded good together. 

Edited by (XB1)RDeschain82

1 hour ago, iLightning13 said:

There was a throwaway line in the Devstream where the modeller of the skin messaged in the company chat (or something like that) that the Devstream peeps had forgotten to attach his armour. That's where the cool shoulder pieces are going to come in, thankfully. Without them he looks gooby as hell.

It's not his armor that's the issue, it's how ugly he is. The textures are all wrong and he has lining showing us where the rocks bend I stead of lighting doing that for us. His hair looks weird and ugly, likenthey couldn't decide between glass, fire, and actual hair. His lava textures that were added are wayyyyy too overdone, and the regular textures just have an ugly glassy look to them. This went from a must buy to a "if this is the final look (minus the armor as we know that's coming), I'm going to take a hard pass."

On 2019-07-26 at 11:29 PM, NovusNova said:

I heard Geoff at 01:05:00 on the devstream say that Ray said "Rebecca is missing the shoulder armor on Wukong Deluxe" and that Ray is very upset.

So its likely it wasn't in the exact Dev build Rebecca was using on the devstream but will be in the final version that we get.

Actually, if you watch the video at 32:10, you can see Wukong Deluxe's shoulder armor appear briefly before she switches to Gauss.

8 hours ago, (XB1)RDeschain82 said:

"ka is a wheel. Stand, and be true." "See the turtle, ain't he keen?" "All things serve the fin beam." 

Just thought it all sounded good together. 

There's a lot of it like that. I believe some translated versions cut out the poetry because of how much of the book it takes up, but some of it is kinda... good, albeit weird. Perhaps interesting is more appropriate.

I love Wukong. Even more after the rework, he's amazing now. The Tennogen skins are nice aswell. And after Nezha's deluxe I had high hopes for Wukong.
But this skin is so disappointing... ugliest skin in the game imo....
Sticking with my mixed Prime look I guess..

1 hour ago, DeMonkey said:

There's a lot of it like that. I believe some translated versions cut out the poetry because of how much of the book it takes up, but some of it is kinda... good, albeit weird. Perhaps interesting is more appropriate.

you saying poetry reminded me of the poem that looks like its made of just one word and now im confused more then my usual level of confusion thanks i think i need to go to bed

When they previewed the Wukong Deluxe concept some time back. It looked great and I was looking forward with anticipation.

Then suddenly, the latest unveiling of their current version of it in the last devstream... not sure how they departed from the beautiful hand-drawn concept and opted to become one of the ugliest looking things I've ever seen

2 hours ago, JackHargreav said:

The ppl who say this skin is the ugliest are just talking total utter nonsense.

I don't know why everyone has such a hard on for that plastic looking crap.

It should be neither rocky nor plastic.

Metal. Metal armor. Like a monkey dragoon / dragon knight.

Edited by Xepthrichros

3 hours ago, JackHargreav said:

Wukong originally was a rock monkey. Metal would make the least sense for his skin.

I've watched Chinese adaptations of Wukong and they don't depict rock literally. He's covered in hair or skin. They also show him wearing armor (that looks much like his non-prime). Armor is metal. He doesn't fight his wars naked and furless and as a skinny Ben Grimm - which is basically what the new deluxe skin is. A naked skinny Ben Grimm monkey, or Atlas' cousin. 

Edited by Xepthrichros
  • Like 1