Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What's the point of Railjack?

nslay

On 2019-07-14 at 12:12 AM, nslay said:

Don't get me wrong! I found the demo absolutely stunning! It looks like loads of fun to play and I am very excited... This is more of a practical question about the purpose and advantage of Railjacks.

The Railjack is like a capital ship, right? And I saw that we can use it to fight capital ships. But Tenno can just jump out of Railjack and Archwing over and hijack a capital ship and blow the reactors... So why go through the trouble of manning a complicated Railjack ship to fight capital ships when you could just instead jump out of your Orbiter and hijack one? Crew of Railjack: Numerous and coordinated. Crew of Orbiter: Ordis.

Maybe the Orbiter can't reach those parts of space Railjacks go? I don't know. It seems very elaborate when we saw a single Tenno hijack a capital ship and blow its reactors.

1 - No. Railjack is more like a gunboat or frigate. Your orbiter is the 'mothership' or cap ship.

2  - Archwings cannot do FTL like actual space ships can. Also the archwings are more like space jetpack mech-fighters, your logic isn't even logic when you nitpick like that.

3 - you can't always just bash your head against everything. Just because you can pop a Formorian, which is designed by Vay Hek btw(who is notoriously bad at anything), does not mean you can do the same to every single other ship that exists. Some crews are smart and know how to fight tenno to some degree 

@FriendSharkey:

Elite's big expansion comes out in 2020, with an update in September and December respectively. Back to wf, Railjack looked cool but the UI looked a bit clunky. I hope there is more to do gameplay wise with railjack, because it seems like it will get boring quickly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, (PS4)vinster said:

Yes, I was expecting that the squad link can be summoned from any other mission.

But how this is 'connecting' all the different islands of gameplay is tenuous at best. By summoning/inviting the other squad, that squad is now leaving their island and joining your railjack island to do a mission that will probably not drop stuff or help the progress that he needs on that other island.

I think you are reading too much into this and adding problems where there arent.

Nothing said that you will summon/invite other people to leave where they are to help you. Fish Team didnt have to leave the Plains to help Railjack Team. And they were rewarded for their efforts, they got an item for helping, no idea what that was because we dont know what it is for.

But they were free to decline or never use Squad Link.

5 minutes ago, (PS4)vinster said:

Will completing the railjack mission help your progression or quest objectives in the other 'islands'? I doubt so.  My idea of 'connecting' is maybe something like I'm doing a long survival and I can summon a railjack squad who happens to be in the planet's vicinity. They'll then land on my tileset, help me out for say 5 mins and deploy extra oxygen towers or turrets, or use their railjack guns to mow down enemies, etc, then leave.

Dude. Getting 8 people in a single mission is just asking for a snooze fest to become comatose. And it comes with the issues of connectivity. Having 4 people may not straint he Host and Clients but 8 have a much higher chance.

And they got an item for helping, as I said above. What the hell is it used for? No idea. We dont know. Might be a necessary thing for their own future space moments or may not.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, (PS4)vinster said:

Yes, I was expecting that the squad link can be summoned from any other mission.

But how this is 'connecting' all the different islands of gameplay is tenuous at best. By summoning/inviting the other squad, that squad is now leaving their island and joining your railjack island to do a mission that will probably not drop stuff or help the progress that he needs on that other island.

Yea it's called, don't do it then. You don' t HAVE to help everybody that tosses down a beacon ffs

On 2019-07-14 at 2:47 PM, Arniox said:

I think... And I hope that the goal and idea of railjack is to replace the current game loop. 

Instead of selecting and instantly loading and teleporting into a mission on a ship Tileset like we do now days, we'll have a railjack that we have to manage and strategically attack a ship to then do a mission. Maybe... 

Idk the wording DE use to describe railjack make me a bit worried that this will be a slightly disconnected "mission type" so to speak. Personally I'd love if warframe moved into a  more of an open universe sortof game but I don't think that will be fully realised. 

The thing that makes me think this is that Steve said and emphased at tennocon that railjack is designed to connect all aspects of the game instead of expand the game. 

It looks pretty self contained. Especially if you read the interview about the programming behind it.

I wouldn't expect much interaction with the rest of the game with the exception of launching regular missions from railjack, the same way you do from a dojo.

• Like 1

On 2019-07-14 at 3:12 AM, nslay said:

The Railjack is like a capital ship, right? And I saw that we can use it to fight capital ships. But Tenno can just jump out of Railjack and Archwing over and hijack a capital ship and blow the reactors... So why go through the trouble of manning a complicated Railjack ship to fight capital ships when you could just instead jump out of your Orbiter and hijack one?

Main point is probably immersion. You get to travel around with a crew and your squad, upgrade your ship, etc. There are probably also battles that require Railjack weapons for completion.

Edited by Ikyr0

13 hours ago, Kaotyke said:

@(PS4)vinster, Steve mentioned in a tweet: Squad link will owrk on ANY mission.  So if you are doing a basic Survival and put the squad link, an extra objective will appear for your team to help.

So its not an exclusive thing to Fortuna or the Plains

OOOOOOOoooo the anticipation...

That does sound good.

I still think it's a first step to improved connectivity though. It is ambitious in that no other game really does anything similar. Imagine if a raid team in WoW could get help from a 5-man dungeon group to make a boss fight easier? It's unheard of.

But it's NOT ambitious in that it doesn't really "connect" things that much. In the end we'll merely see it as "ooh, extra rewards" and collectively rage about the other anonymous team when we don't get those rewards, and... that's it.

I feel like to achieve that connectivity, we need to be able to board the ship from the open world (for that matter, when leaving the plains or the vallis, why can't I go straight to the Orbiter? I have to go through the town first!). We need to be able to fly with our squad from one mission to another, and not just specifically the Railjack missions - We need to be able to access regular missions as well, start a Fissure run, help the newer guy farm up Wisp parts, or even drop down to an Eidolon bounty. ALL from that one shared-space ship. That feels like connection. It completely changes the game to actually see your squad in the same space together from start to finish, rather than just during the mission.

Might not affect me much. My current playstyle is to play solo whenever possible, and when I can't, I don't really stick with the same people for more than one mission. I'm an anti-social shut-in, and maybe that means I need help.... BUT THAT'S NOT WHAT WE'RE DISCUSSING.

Edited by DrakeWurrum
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DrakeWurrum said:

I feel like to achieve that connectivity, we need to be able to board the ship from the open world (for that matter, when leaving the plains or the vallis, why can't I go straight to the Orbiter? I have to go through the town first!).

You can ESC > Abandom Mission > Orbiter

Sadly, only fish, ores and bounties are saved by doing this. The resources you grabbed by htting things? They're gone.

Hopefully, we will be able to extract from the Open Worlds. We did that during Saya's Vigil, i dont know why we cant after it.

• Like 1

Just now, Kaotyke said:

You can ESC > Abandom Mission > Orbiter

Sadly, only fish, ores and bounties are saved by doing this. The resources you grabbed by htting things? They're gone.

Hopefully, we will be able to extract from the Open Worlds. We did that during Saya's Vigil, i dont know why we cant after it.

Well that's what I mean. Wish we could extract via landing craft. They could AT LEAST give us a gear item for it...

Edited by DrakeWurrum

35 minutes ago, DrakeWurrum said:

But it's NOT ambitious in that it doesn't really "connect" things that much. In the end we'll merely see it as "ooh, extra rewards" and collectively rage about the other anonymous team when we don't get those rewards, and... that's it.

Small steps I say, this is a good baseline to test the waters, I personally will be spending more time in PoE and OV with link beacons down because I like being that one nameless guy who helps out others silently, which is fairly difficulty to do now and even if I do go to lower tilesets in pubs to help newbies I just kinda...obliterate everything with a sneeze, even gearing myself downwards doesn't really help me not remove all the learning experiences for newbies.

So if these are the first steps to something bigger where I don't need to hold myself back to help others, even indirectly I'll gladly do what I can for others.

9 hours ago, IIDMOII said:

Especially if you read the interview about the programming behind it

Where's this article? I'd love to read it since I study game development in uni right now and know quite a lot about game programming and comouter graphical programming

3 hours ago, DrakeWurrum said:

OOOOOOOoooo the anticipation...

That does sound good.

I still think it's a first step to improved connectivity though. It is ambitious in that no other game really does anything similar. Imagine if a raid team in WoW could get help from a 5-man dungeon group to make a boss fight easier? It's unheard of.

I feel like to achieve that connectivity, we need to be able to board the ship from the open world (for that matter, when leaving the plains or the vallis, why can't I go straight to the Orbiter? I have to go through the town first!). We need to be able to fly with our squad from one mission to another, and not just specifically the Railjack missions - We need to be able to access regular missions as well, start a Fissure run, help the newer guy farm up Wisp parts, or even drop down to an Eidolon bounty. ALL from that one shared-space ship. That feels like connection. It completely changes the game to actually see your squad in the same space together from start to finish, rather than just during the mission.

Might not affect me much. My current playstyle is to play solo whenever possible, and when I can't, I don't really stick with the same people for more than one mission. I'm an anti-social shut-in, and maybe that means I need help.... BUT THAT'S NOT WHAT WE'RE DISCUSSING.

This is exactly what I would love. Connecting the entire game so it feels like your simply paying one long continuous game rather than having it split up and so disjointed. 

I would personally love to see an open universe sortof warframe and as they add more and more open worlds the game would begin to feel so much more succinct. However in order for that to work they really need to expand their open worlds alot more... Physically.... 

PoE needs to be physically bigger and so does Vallis then once more open worlds are out, they could move normal mission gameplay into the open worlds. 

Then you would load up the game into your railjack and fly off with a team; land on a planet and go straight into a survival 

5 minutes ago, Arniox said:

This is exactly what I would love. Connecting the entire game so it feels like your simply paying one long continuous game rather than having it split up and so disjointed. 

I would personally love to see an open universe sortof warframe and as they add more and more open worlds the game would begin to feel so much more succinct. However in order for that to work they really need to expand their open worlds alot more... Physically.... 

PoE needs to be physically bigger and so does Vallis then once more open worlds are out, they could move normal mission gameplay into the open worlds. 

Then you would load up the game into your railjack and fly off with a team; land on a planet and go straight into a survival 

I would love it if Railjack could replace the star chart entirely. You travel between nodes in the system through hyperspace (can't say planets, cause we have Pluto, Eris, Sedna, Europa, and Lua... plus the Void and the Derelict...), and then you actually can BE in orbit around the planet, flying your Railjack. You could quick-select your node from the map, or you could manually fly to where it's at.

Would sadly not be as efficient as doing it from the Orbiter's Navigation for people who just want to skip everything and get straight to killing. BUT, it does sound aesthetically satisfying. Imagine if you could just "head towards" the mission after deciding what your cell will do, and everybody has time to prepare their loadout while in transit...

15 minutes ago, Arniox said:

Where's this article? I'd love to read it since I study game development in uni right now and know quite a lot about game programming and comouter graphical programming

14 minutes ago, Arniox said:

https://kotaku.com/warframes-new-spaceships-are-powered-by-portals-1836324060

The TLDR is: When we're on the Railjack, we're not actually in the ship that's actually moving around in the mission. We're on a separate piece of the map by itself, not moving at all, and everything on the windows is just... showing what's outside that fake-ship. They did this to handle physics more easily.

Edited by DrakeWurrum

2 hours ago, DrakeWurrum said:

Would sadly not be as efficient as doing it from the Orbiter's Navigation for people who just want to skip everything and get straight to killing. BUT, it does sound aesthetically satisfying. Imagine if you could just "head towards" the mission after deciding what your cell will do, and everybody has time to prepare their loadout while in transit...

Actually I think both systems can stay, but flying to a node in railjack may provide some additional action and options for a mission. You should be able to do something around the node prior to the mission itslef in your railjack to alter it.

• Like 1

Who the hell cares about the questions 

Call me simple but I enjoy cracking helmets of courpus and smashing the bones of grineer and railjack gives more interaction with the external content plus its a great way to make Warhammer reference. So yeah no questions here for me. Simple guy simple motives. Though lore wise I will have questions about the railjack cephalon. But that's for another day.

9 hours ago, DrakeWurrum said:

I would love it if Railjack could replace the star chart entirely. You travel between nodes in the system through hyperspace (can't say planets, cause we have Pluto, Eris, Sedna, Europa, and Lua... plus the Void and the Derelict...), and then you actually can BE in orbit around the planet, flying your Railjack. You could quick-select your node from the map, or you could manually fly to where it's at.

Well, I doubt it'll retroactively remove the Star Chart due to how much stuff's on there, but if Railjack hits the ground running I would not be surprised if most if not all future content gets built on it this way.

• Like 1

On 2019-07-14 at 3:12 AM, nslay said:

Don't get me wrong! I found the demo absolutely stunning! It looks like loads of fun to play and I am very excited... This is more of a practical question about the purpose and advantage of Railjacks.

The Railjack is like a capital ship, right? And I saw that we can use it to fight capital ships. But Tenno can just jump out of Railjack and Archwing over and hijack a capital ship and blow the reactors... So why go through the trouble of manning a complicated Railjack ship to fight capital ships when you could just instead jump out of your Orbiter and hijack one? Crew of Railjack: Numerous and coordinated. Crew of Orbiter: Ordis.

Maybe the Orbiter can't reach those parts of space Railjacks go? I don't know. It seems very elaborate when we saw a single Tenno hijack a capital ship and blow its reactors.

Personal/crew Ship with upgrades to add to the RP side and give it character development. It would be cool if we can Hijack and keep those ships inside of a storage bay or something. Different experience and in depth Space Content, which we need with the intense action and coordination. Open up more missions and things for players to join for Squad links and benefit certain rewards for helping. This will add more depth and ways to utilize Archwing and more areas for Tenno to explore and see what we can't see pass loading screens. If you don't see yourself playing this content, you always have the old :)....

Edited by Mardomus

The real point of Railjack is to sell Warframe to new players. Because it's not Warframe, it's absolutely different gameplay that some people will like, and many will not (in my opinion. If I'd want to play space ships, I'd play Elite Dangerous). They also said it was influenced by Sea of Thieves or smth, which is again is a completely different game. They also said it connects things in Warframe, but I seriously doubt that.