nslay

What's the point of Railjack?

Don't get me wrong! I found the demo absolutely stunning! It looks like loads of fun to play and I am very excited... This is more of a practical question about the purpose and advantage of Railjacks.

The Railjack is like a capital ship, right? And I saw that we can use it to fight capital ships. But Tenno can just jump out of Railjack and Archwing over and hijack a capital ship and blow the reactors... So why go through the trouble of manning a complicated Railjack ship to fight capital ships when you could just instead jump out of your Orbiter and hijack one? Crew of Railjack: Numerous and coordinated. Crew of Orbiter: Ordis.

Maybe the Orbiter can't reach those parts of space Railjacks go? I don't know. It seems very elaborate when we saw a single Tenno hijack a capital ship and blow its reactors.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

Orbiters rely on solar rails to get around, so they can't leave the origin system. 

Since railjacks can access areas previously unavailable its possible they don't have this requirement, thus we could use them to go to other systems, like say tau. 

• Like 15
  • Satisfied 1
  • Applause 1
  • Upvote 5

Don't think logic in this game. Railjack is just new content, new stuffs for players to enjoy. We should be grateful to that.... and also grateful to the huge grind Railjack will bring (aka grind for insane low drop rate of resources for archwing modular parts etc)

• Like 3
  • Satisfied 1
  • Upvote 2

Orbiter is stuck to the solar rails and why you must unlock them as you progress through the star chart. Railjack gets you to places off the grid as it has a internal rail.

And the Railjack does not have the advantage of cloaking as the Orbiter or unarmed lander has. (make up some story reasons) So its a gunship and home base in these uncharted regions.

But like the demo showed. you have shielded ships your lander cant get near. So they gave a reason to fight it in another bigger ship.

Whenever a reason to do something is arbitrary compared to earlier methods is of course manufactured. its a game and this is now needed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

To Jack Rails.... Duh....

Seriously though.... Don't think about it.... just Start Jackin and everything will fall into place.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Miser_able said:

Orbiters rely on solar rails to get around, so they can't leave the origin system. 

Since railjacks can access areas previously unavailable its possible they don't have this requirement, thus we could use them to go to other systems, like say tau. 

Exactly, not to mention that the orbiter is the actual "home" for the Tenno and is not equipped with weaponry and we can't afford for vital systems to be damaged in any way since we are currently experiencing a ...uhh...strike of orokin engineers. If I recall correctly the orbiter also includes the orokin tech to allow the insides of the ship to be much bigger than the actual size of the exterior would suggest. If something was destroyed it would probably mess up the whole equilibrium of the orbiter.

No, a Tenno worthy of the name dresses to kill both in the choice of frame (and fashion frame) and tools, you don't bring an orbiter to a capital ship fight!

Edited by Olphalarepth
  • Like 2
  • Woah 1

Posted (edited)

Railjack has more advanced technology and firepower than any ships you can hijack from other factions. That's why you want to use it.

Edited by yles9056
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, kyori said:

Don't think logic in this game. Railjack is just new content, new stuffs for players to enjoy. We should be grateful to that.... and also grateful to the huge grind Railjack will bring (aka grind for insane low drop rate of resources for archwing modular parts etc)

1 month of content to appease salty vets, pretty much.

Also MR.

Railjack is for the punchy-punchy kicky-kicky bits of space.

The Liset/Orbiter is for the sleepy-sleepy travel-travel bits of space.

• Satisfied 1

That's how we exuse why we need Lotus as a warlord.

Immediately after her departure, we begin to develop a cumbersome and inefficient system.

Spoiler

Don't worry, it will soon be forgotten, as will the need to fly in outer space with wings.

did you not watch tennocon stream as they litterly said why they were making it.......

but railjack is to bring another game mode for people to enjoy as will bring new items an breath new life into the sytem of loading in an out of missions as we could easily return to the hosts railjack an pick whats the next thing we hit up

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, nslay said:

The Railjack is like a capital ship, right? And I saw that we can use it to fight capital ships. But Tenno can just jump out of Railjack and Archwing over and hijack a capital ship and blow the reactors... So why go through the trouble of manning a complicated Railjack ship to fight capital ships when you could just instead jump out of your Orbiter and hijack one? Crew of Railjack: Numerous and coordinated. Crew of Orbiter: Ordis.

Maybe the Orbiter can't reach those parts of space Railjacks go? I don't know. It seems very elaborate when we saw a single Tenno hijack a capital ship and blow its reactors.

The reason is so its not boring. They trying to make a new game mode that is fun and interactive instead of like what you said jump out of our landing craft to enter the enemy ship while flying archwing then do a simple sabotage mission. As for NPCs I do not mind if they make a system when we get a lot of custom choices over our NPC crew cuz that gives me something to do and farm for. I hope we get fashion/cosmetic options for them though so we have even more times to do over time.

Edited by (XB1)Dex Xean

13 hours ago, nslay said:

Don't get me wrong! I found the demo absolutely stunning! It looks like loads of fun to play and I am very excited... This is more of a practical question about the purpose and advantage of Railjacks.

I think... And I hope that the goal and idea of railjack is to replace the current game loop. 

Instead of selecting and instantly loading and teleporting into a mission on a ship Tileset like we do now days, we'll have a railjack that we have to manage and strategically attack a ship to then do a mission. Maybe... 

Idk the wording DE use to describe railjack make me a bit worried that this will be a slightly disconnected "mission type" so to speak. Personally I'd love if warframe moved into a  more of an open universe sortof game but I don't think that will be fully realised. 

The thing that makes me think this is that Steve said and emphased at tennocon that railjack is designed to connect all aspects of the game instead of expand the game. 

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, nslay said:

Well the ship, firstly, gets you from system to system.

But also has it's own arsenal of weapons and tools.

25 minutes ago, Arniox said:

I think... And I hope that the goal and idea of railjack is to replace the current game loop. 

Instead of selecting and instantly loading and teleporting into a mission on a ship Tileset like we do now days, we'll have a railjack that we have to manage and strategically attack a ship to then do a mission. Maybe... 

Idk the wording DE use to describe railjack make me a bit worried that this will be a slightly disconnected "mission type" so to speak. Personally I'd love if warframe moved into a  more of an open universe sortof game but I don't think that will be fully realised. 

The thing that makes me think this is that Steve said and emphased at tennocon that railjack is designed to connect all aspects of the game instead of expand the game. 

Maybe at first it won't be as connected as we would all like, but the team at DE will iterate on this to make it more connected as you describe. This has been Steve's dream for 14 years.

Edited by DrakeWurrum
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, DrakeWurrum said:

Well the ship, firstly, gets you from system to system.

But also has it's own arsenal of weapons and tools.

Maybe at first it won't be as connected as we would all like, but the team at DE will iterate on this to make it more connected as you describe. This has been Steve's dream for 14 years.

Yeah hopefully. Personally I've been asking for two years now that they really should physically expand on the open worlds. Literally make PoE bigger and bigger as time goes on and move normal missions into the plains when they add jungles and deserts and so on. That way the transition into an open universe game would be easier. Right now PoE and to some extents, Vallis are way too small to realistically be put into an open universe game. 

Although I might be jaded with recent open world games. Assassins creed odessy which I've been getting into has something like a 50,000 meter by 50,000 meter World or maybe bigger. Its nice having that size of play ground and in warframe it would be awesome 

14 hours ago, Miser_able said:

Orbiters rely on solar rails to get around

*sips hipster tea out of a cup made of classic Nav Segments*

• Haha 1

Most transportation in the Origin system is by 'solar rails'. Basically, spaceships are trains in the Warframe universe - they can only go FTL along very set paths, since FTL travel relies on circumventing the physical issues presented by such speeds by using the void. Rails, presumably, act as safe channels - without one, you go in and you can't come back out again, which we can assume is what happened to the Zariman. It took off, but there was no Solar Rail at the destination - Tau - because the Sentients turned it off to avoid the Orokin following them.

However, these come with a pretty big limitation - they have limited entry and exit locations. These are controlled by whatever faction is in control of the planet, but it seems to be one of the few things that the Grineer and Corpus collaborate over - there are Corpus who seem to work for the Grineer, according to the radio chatter we pick up. (Corpus characters saying 'Glory to the Queens'). This makes stealth pretty difficult to manage, since you have to show up at one of these entry points and exit points. The only other way is to use the significantly slower sub-light travel systems that they use for in-orbit travel, and basically go the long way around. This seems to be the Fomorian, Kuva Fortress and Baro approach - take the long way around, and sure, you'll be flying for days rather than near-instants, but nobody is looking for you that far out - though presumably, your own navigation is also more difficult, which may explain dark sectors.

The Tenno circumvent this, it seems, by using their own rail network - presumably, the ones with spectres that we unlock as we go, as well as the ones we built to reach dark sectors. Tenno live and die by fast escapes - we're at our most vulnerable aboard the Landing Crafts and when the Orbiter is exposed. Presumably, having or being around an area with Rail coverage is what enables void masks, the Tenno cloak system. Dip into the void but instead of using it to jump, you just sit, hiding like the moon did. Without that, we'd be easy targets. As well as, of course, the range of our travel being limited to what's available in the system. Outside that? It'd probably take years to reach Tau, since given how long it takes Baro to go a relatively short distance on the Star Map - same for Fomorians and even the Kuva Fortress - it's likely that it's not more than 50% light speed.

Here's where Railjack comes in. Through some miracle of Tech, the Tenno have figured out how to build a small solar rail into a spaceship (possibly the lore reason behind it being clantech). This means that it can project its own Solar Rail - completely ditching the need for a Rail system, whilst also having the benefit of having a particle acceleration cannon loaded on board - hence the Archwing gun thing.

We are quite literally throwing ourselves into the engine to fire ourselves as an armour-piercing bullet, an engine that is the space flight equivalent of this:

Spoiler

Jerry-rigged as this may be, it has a number of benefits. Notably, whilst our Orbiter is still limited to the network, this expands our field of operation considerably, as we're no longer bound to the conventional Rail Network and can jump in and out of areas at super-light speed whenever we choose. Though, considering the dialogue of the Kuva Lich segment, and the clearly well-armed ship as well as the necessity for several crew members, it's probably a lot 'louder' than an Orbiter (despite being considerably smaller than one), as well as needing far more work to maintain, probably due to how experimental the thing is. It being louder makes sense - we're opening a new 'exit point' in the Rail System, however briefly, on top of our target. That means pouring void energy into our destination first. Which, in turn, is probably why we're still using the antiquated Solar Rail system after this, lore-wise. Sometimes, announcing your presence with a big beam of easily-detectable void energy is going to end poorly.

Tl;Dr Warframe has space trains, but Railjacks make their own tracks.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Upvote 1

To lay the groundwork for an update where we get to build, customize, staff, and fly our very own capital ships. Hnnnnnnggg 

50 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

Most transportation in the Origin system is by 'solar rails'. Basically, spaceships are trains in the Warframe universe - they can only go FTL along very set paths, since FTL travel relies on circumventing the physical issues presented by such speeds by using the void. Rails, presumably, act as safe channels - without one, you go in and you can't come back out again, which we can assume is what happened to the Zariman. It took off, but there was no Solar Rail at the destination - Tau - because the Sentients turned it off to avoid the Orokin following them.

However, these come with a pretty big limitation - they have limited entry and exit locations. These are controlled by whatever faction is in control of the planet, but it seems to be one of the few things that the Grineer and Corpus collaborate over - there are Corpus who seem to work for the Grineer, according to the radio chatter we pick up. (Corpus characters saying 'Glory to the Queens'). This makes stealth pretty difficult to manage, since you have to show up at one of these entry points and exit points. The only other way is to use the significantly slower sub-light travel systems that they use for in-orbit travel, and basically go the long way around. This seems to be the Fomorian, Kuva Fortress and Baro approach - take the long way around, and sure, you'll be flying for days rather than near-instants, but nobody is looking for you that far out - though presumably, your own navigation is also more difficult, which may explain dark sectors.

The Tenno circumvent this, it seems, by using their own rail network - presumably, the ones with spectres that we unlock as we go, as well as the ones we built to reach dark sectors. Tenno live and die by fast escapes - we're at our most vulnerable aboard the Landing Crafts and when the Orbiter is exposed. Presumably, having or being around an area with Rail coverage is what enables void masks, the Tenno cloak system. Dip into the void but instead of using it to jump, you just sit, hiding like the moon did. Without that, we'd be easy targets. As well as, of course, the range of our travel being limited to what's available in the system. Outside that? It'd probably take years to reach Tau, since given how long it takes Baro to go a relatively short distance on the Star Map - same for Fomorians and even the Kuva Fortress - it's likely that it's not more than 50% light speed.

Here's where Railjack comes in. Through some miracle of Tech, the Tenno have figured out how to build a small solar rail into a spaceship (possibly the lore reason behind it being clantech). This means that it can project its own Solar Rail - completely ditching the need for a Rail system, whilst also having the benefit of having a particle acceleration cannon loaded on board - hence the Archwing gun thing.

We are quite literally throwing ourselves into the engine to fire ourselves as an armour-piercing bullet, an engine that is the space flight equivalent of this:

Reveal hidden contents

Jerry-rigged as this may be, it has a number of benefits. Notably, whilst our Orbiter is still limited to the network, this expands our field of operation considerably, as we're no longer bound to the conventional Rail Network and can jump in and out of areas at super-light speed whenever we choose. Though, considering the dialogue of the Kuva Lich segment, and the clearly well-armed ship as well as the necessity for several crew members, it's probably a lot 'louder' than an Orbiter (despite being considerably smaller than one), as well as needing far more work to maintain, probably due to how experimental the thing is. It being louder makes sense - we're opening a new 'exit point' in the Rail System, however briefly, on top of our target. That means pouring void energy into our destination first. Which, in turn, is probably why we're still using the antiquated Solar Rail system after this, lore-wise. Sometimes, announcing your presence with a big beam of easily-detectable void energy is going to end poorly.

Tl;Dr Warframe has space trains, but Railjacks make their own tracks.

Worth noting: there should actually be a rail connecting to Tau. That was the entire purpose of the Sentients. I think the Sentients found a way to come back and attack before the Orokin could manage to use it, however.

Just now, DrakeWurrum said:

Worth noting: there should actually be a rail connecting to Tau. That was the entire purpose of the Sentients. I think the Sentients found a way to come back and attack before the Orokin could manage to use it, however.

I appreciate the help, but...

52 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

It took off, but there was no Solar Rail at the destination - Tau - because the Sentients turned it off to avoid the Orokin following them.

I know :tongue: Sabotage is the most likely reason the void-jump failed, considering how easy it seems to be even for far less advanced civilisations to be able to handle things consistently. Not to mention that a bunch of teenagers can figure out how to make solar rails, apparently.

Think of every map and mission as an island. The space in the star chart is the sea. Basically, railjack is a boat with a submarine function where you can explore beneath and above the sea. The purpose of rail jack, according to steve, is to connect those islands.

16 hours ago, yles9056 said:

Railjack has more advanced technology and firepower than any ships you can hijack from other factions. That's why you want to use it.

But we saw that you can already trivially destroy a capital ship with a lone Tenno. You just Archwing over, board the ship with guns blazing, and blow the reactors. No high tech Railjack with its heavy capital ship weaponry needed. You could do this with Orbiter already... assuming Orbiter can actually reach the areas of space where capital ships roam (apparently not).

Basically, I'm questioning the purpose and advantage of Railjacks over a simpler Orbiter with a lone Tenno that can do very simply what a Railjack can do in a more complicated fashion.

I get that Railjack is fun! The demo was stunning! Just that the power of a lone Tenno = Railjack kind of undermines the whole purpose of using a Railjack.

You won't be able to board every ship. There's smaller ships that will likely need to be taken out by the railjack rather than archwings. There's also speed, the Railjack is much faster than archwings.

What is the point of railjack?  Well they are the most wanted by the grineer and corpus because the tech equipment on it, it seems that the corpus and grineer don't know how to launch faster a space unit and the technology of jumping into ships (when the corpus could easily just put a beacon in a ship).  Anyway railjack pose to be fun, more likely the ships can gather better materials more of easily process mining and locating artifacts that the grineer and corpus having that type problem and they wanted use the railjack to find lost orokin's technology for it seems to be that they are having a problem locating an orokin's ship when the grineer keep on finding orokin's teleporter somehow more luck then finding a orokin's ship.

Not only that the arcane for the ships are important for flying around and they wanted to do proper space combat in the game instead of your ship being a coward running off avoiding the conflict they have to deal with everytime.  I swear someone give ordius a new body, I'll freaking hook up Ordius into a MOA if I have too.

What's the point? To blow crap up, mix up the content, and add different ideas to this game and see what works. Maybe it'll fit right in. Maybe it'll be dead content like Conclave? Who really knows.