Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What are your thoughts on exclusive Nightwave weapons?

-Vahagn-

"Exclusive" to the point of Wolf Sledge is fine, since it is obtainable after the series ends in some way. Exclusive like not coming back or being obtainable through other means is a big no for me, since weapons arent just about showing that you did something, it is about MR too, which everyone should have access to the same as others, no matter when they join the game.

So if they keep it inline with the sledge I'm all for it.

Didn't the first Nightwave series actually already *include* a Nightwave "exclusive" weapon?  The Wolf hammer.  You could only get it from fighting the Nightwave story boss.  Now that the first series is over, I imagine there'll probably be a bit of a thing going in Recruiting Chat where people who don't need the credits for anything else buy Wolf beacons and host games so that people can get a shot at the parts.  (Although given his loot table, they'll probably just get a garbage mod that everyone already has two or three hundred of.  Because reasons.  😞  )

I won't be too surprised if there's a similar "hidden" weapon in this series.  Given how many layers of RNG were stacked on getting the Wolf though, I really wish they'd consider putting in the option to buy the components via the Nightwave credits, or even just flat out buying the weapon for platinum after the series ends.  Stacking RNG on RNG is not cool, especially when for a lot of players the Wolf was pretty damn near invincible if you didn't know the trick for partially short circuiting his near complete immunity to damage (and the fact that after the first few weeks he was always fighting alongside literally unkillable brown smurfs who absolutely could and did one-shot most Warframes with their Seeking Molotovs of Utter BS.)

Yh, let's have a cool weapon as a nw reward, say round about lvl 27.  Very achievable by just playing the game.  And make it Nora themed, not related to the nw theme itself.  Nora is actually arming us with cool weapons to make us stronger.  If you don't get it, don't worry, it'll come back in a future nw season.

• Should Nightwaves have exclusive weapons?
    • Any reason they shouldn't?   If it is all the factor of rewarding the active player base, so be it.
  • How hard do you think the grind should be?
    • However hard DE thinks it should be so long as it is proven the intended method works. (aka no coding defects.)
  • How powerful do you think it should be?
    • as powerful as DE thinks it should be in regards to game balance.  Most times is nothing more than status symbol of accomplishment vs. some uber weapon.
  • Has this or will this impact the community in anyway?
    • Sure it will impact the community.  I'm certain you remember all the cries about people not being able to sit down and farm on a whim. 
  • Do you like them?
    • How about this. I don't dis like them and find it cute.
  • Do you think they are a good idea?
    • I don't think it is a bad idea.  while I am all for balanaced play and equal chances, this isn't something that is going to become a "must have" as it were.  Should the weapon become that, then the weapon design was flawed.  (My opinion)
  • Should they stay exclusive?
    • Oh, you mean vs parts tradeable....   Meh, I'm fine with having them tradable honestly.  RNG bites the big one, and the way the tables are weighted, it really bites.

18 hours ago, WH1735S0W said:

Hello Tenno, I would like to know your thoughts on what you think about exclusive Nightwave weapons such as Wolf Sledge.

I am not sure if the current Nightwave series has a exclusive weapon or field boss, but how would you feel if it does or does not?

Here are some ideas on what you can say regrading this topic:

• Do you like them?
  • Anything you wish to say about this subject.

For me, I am OK with them. However I would not encourage people to pay over 1000 plat for them like some did for Wolf Sledge.

Let me know your thoughts.

• absolutely not. The poor RNG on the Wolf resulted in many players (and I speculate the supermajority) not seeing a single Sledge part let alone the whole thing. Yes he can be called in now with a beacon, but that's just an after-the-fact band-aid for poor design.
    • there should be no grind, because there should be no exclusive weapon
    • N/A, because there should be no exclusive weapon
    • players already feel pressured enough to get things that can either be bought with plat (frame/companion slots, forma) or dont matter (noggles, cosmetics like sugatra and armor). If you add in something that can Only be obtained during the limited-time window, you're just asking for rage. Players who cant dedicate the time to beat the RNG will be mad that they cant get the item, and players who Can dedicate the time will risk burning out on the game. What's worse for DE? Players not playing at all because they cant reach the goal, or players leaving the game entirely because they burned out? Alienating players by placing demands on their time is never a good idea, but it's a lesson None of these 'live service' games have seemed to learn.
  • Do you like them?
    • I hate the idea of exclusives, period. In a game about acquisition things, all things should be obtainable at any time. Just look at the vitriol that still pops up (after 6 years) about Excalibur Prime being a Founders Only exclusive.
    • absolutely not.
    • absolutely not.
  • Anything you wish to say about this subject.
    • Exclusive anything is a terrible idea because it promotes unhealthy psychological reactions in people. They either feel compelled to play to the exclusion of all else (not healthy) or they get angry that the exclusive will be unobtainable for them (also unhealthy). I wanted the Saturn Six armor set for my frame but could not put in the time to hit rank 30, especially with the elite weeklies (at the time) being more or less aimed strictly at veteran players with perfect min-max builds (and going on vacation for a week). I really want the level 30 operator armor from this event (since every other operator cosmetic looks like trash to me) but again I doubt I'll be able to put in the time. In season 1 it really killed my desire to play, knowing I wouldn't be able to reach that goal before time ran out. DE lost me as a player for the entirety of the Nightwave Intermission because of this, because "why bother?".
    • Exclusives in games supposedly are meant to be about prestige. In reality, they're about envy and hate. I have never, NEVER met someone who when told they couldn't have the thing they want because it was exclusive, react with "oh, well darn. no big deal, let's keep playing." It's always, Always with hate. They hate that the game denies them their goody. They feel punished for not having been there. Again, see the hate DE still gets over Excal Prime.
    • The last thing I'll say about the Nightwave is this: the reward track needs to be turned around 180*. Put the best and most desirable rewards up front to encourage players to play, while putting the less-desireable but still interesting items toward the end. I couldn't care less about getting glyphs and sigils and emblems, but hot-da*n you can bet I'd be playing on day-one if I knew I could get that armor set.
3 hours ago, BlackRoseAngel said:

Exculsive anything is BS.

I more or less agree with this. I play games as a hobby, not a job. Telling me that I can only get things at certain times, or if I play a certain amount, is trash. In that way I'm glad the old alert system went away, though I think Nightwave is not without it's flaws: it's not better than Alerts, just different. Syndicate exclusives are fine: you can join the syndicate at any time and pursue the loot at your leisure, but exclusives that are "play now because it's going away forever after this" are a terrible, terrible idea.

Personally I like the idea of Nw having something related to it's plot line offering up some exclusive things is not a bad thing like having weapons tied to a new field boss, or having cosmetics that are exclusive rewards for ranking up. Now the sledge was a bit more than a grind I feel and his spawn rate was a bit to low over all so I feel a significant increase in drop or spawn rate would be nice. As for the power of the weapon I'm thinking around the top end of the 3rd quartile of the power curve of at the low end of the 4th quartile. Not the best thing but a good weapon with some thing new, it won't beat the top end weapons but it will make them run a bit faster.

That said most of the community is going to complain that they can't have it now for just loging in that day.

9 hours ago, Umquaptovis said:

That said most of the community is going to complain that they can't have it now for just loging in that day.

As the Nightwave gets closer to the end, the more posts we will see regarding how players cannot get the final few items.

Almost like how the Wolf's spawn rate increases as the Nightwave progresses. 

11 hours ago, WH1735S0W said:

As the Nightwave gets closer to the end, the more posts we will see regarding how players cannot get the final few items.

Yeah we will but they kinda don't even have that to stand on as if they finish all the challenges they can do previous ones it just means rather than studying throughout the class they will need to cram before finals. 

I am hopeing there is abit more to the current nightwave rather than just some red bots showing up.

36 minutes ago, CJBael said:

I guess technically they've already done this with one since Glaive is now only available for 50 Creds or Plat.

Well, by that logic, Glaive was an Alert-exclusive weapon previously, and your chances to get it were rather painfully RNG.

There's still some RNG to Cred Offerings, of course... But at least it lasts for a week and you can't miss it just from sleeping through it.

Edited by DrakeWurrum

On 2019-07-16 at 1:44 PM, Sentinel-14 said:

I wanted the Saturn Six armor set for my frame but could not put in the time to hit rank 30, especially with the elite weeklies (at the time) being more or less aimed strictly at veteran players with perfect min-max builds (and going on vacation for a week). I really want the level 30 operator armor from this event (since every other operator cosmetic looks like trash to me) but again I doubt I'll be able to put in the time. In season 1 it really killed my desire to play, knowing I wouldn't be able to reach that goal before time ran out.

Ummm...

To quote myself:
This means that if you so choose, you could choose to skip all but one of the Elite Weekly Acts, just for an example. Or you could choose to skip 3 of the 10 weeks of Nightwave entirely. Yes - you can skip 30% of this Nightwave series and STILL expect to reach rank 30. You could choose to ignore every single Daily Act, do all the Weekly Acts, and still way over-shoot your target. You could skip the normal Weekly Acts for SIX weeks in a row, but do all the Elite Weekly and Daily Acts, and you'll still hit rank 30 (barely). Mix and match for fun, if that's your thing.

Nightwave Series 1 was actually easier than Series 2 for hitting 30, btw - I know there were some people who hit rank 60 and even then had extra standing BEYOND that (which they couldn't use, 60 is the cap). I don't know if that's because of how long it ran, or because of all the standing from Fugitives.

In Series 1, I personally skipped one or two of the earlier weeks because I didn't really care that much at first. Even then, every week, I still skipped whichever Weeklies I didn't care to do. Not because I couldn't, but they sounded like too much effort. I still hit rank 46, and I wasn't grinding it that hard one bit. And no... I don't have perfect min-max builds. I still don't have Serration maxed. I miss the vast majority of those fancy corrupt mods from the Derelict (Blind Rage and all that).

Edited by DrakeWurrum