Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Parent-Child Hierarchy Of Dojo Rooms

Opprop

Greetings space-ninjas, tenno, devils, skoom, and whatever else we've been called over the years.

I'm not entirely sure if this is the right place to talk about this but It seemed the most fitting at first glance so I'm posting this here.
So... Where to start.
I've been working on my dojo for some time now.
Decorating the place and making slight adjustments to the layout overtime.
Lately however I felt the layout needed to be majorly redone so I started working towards that.
I planned to connect the parts of my dojo I wanted to keep (since they're filled with painstaking hours of aligning decorations) and replace some of the connections inbetween.
Due to what seems to be the current implementation of the dojo's room system however I wasn't able to remove the rooms.
All rooms would still be connected to the rest of the dojo if the room in question was removed by the way so it's not like I would have split my dojo in two.
Let me explain.

Now I don't have access to the source code obviously but due to a text pop-up It seems to me that the relations between rooms is monitored by a parent-child relationship.
This however causes some nasty issues when it comes to your dojo's maintainability so now I'll attempt to illustrate this in way that hopefully doesn't put you to sleep (It probably will I mean look at those pictures this Opprop guy must be the worst at making good-looking images).

graph1.png

So imagine this is our dojo layout room 0 is the starter room and thus the parent of room 1 and 2.
Now Consider I don't particularly like room 0 anymore he spilt his drink over me that one day and now I want to delete him from existence.
Y'know the usual interactions you have with rooms.
But hey look!
If we remove room zero I can't walk over to my best friend room 2 anymore.
Ah no worries We'll just build a new friend and call it room four shall we?
graph2.png

There perfect All our problems are fixed now right?
Let's go ahead and delete that bastard room number 0.
WhatsDis.png
OwO what's dis?
So I went ahead and looked at the rooms which were marked by this system and unsurprisingly it seems to be working like this.
When I built room four instead of adding an edge (technical term for those lines in the pictures) between 2 and 4 it seems to only consider the parent (the room it was built from) in it's relation.
Meaning room 3 in this case.
This causes your dojo to be built up like a tree (which is basically one of those pictures above but without any kind of loop so no line between 2 and 4)

Now my suggestion is rather than using this kind of relation you could have the dojo represented behind the scenes as a graph like in my pictures.
Making every room equal and not relying on a hierarchy should prevent these problems from occurring.
Now ofcourse I'm not trying to say my solution is super amazing and you should all bow down to my superior intellect. (I wish)
It's actually quite simple and I'm sure the lovely devs at DE would figure this out in a split second and could also improve on this first-year student's (I guess second-year now that it's summer) mediocre idea.
However I'm just hoping that making a more detailed post like this will catch the attention of a member of DE who can forward the issue to one of their programmers.

Lastly thank you for making it through my sleep inducing post!
That must mean you either hate yourself or It wasn't as excruciatingly boring as it seemed.

Cheers!

TL;DR
Replace the relations between dojo rooms from a hierarchical system to a graph based one which would consider every room to be equal.

Edited by Opprop