Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Veterans of The Game

RaDiaFox

Veterans of the game, tell me stories of the past, I want to know what is truly different in today's game versus how it was when you start and when did if feel different. I want you to tell me if you're the type who want the game to be harder or if you want it to be more new user friendly as well.

I keep hearing about these people who say they miss the game as it was, and I'm curious about that. I think most of the newer players could also benefit from hearing things from your side no matter whichever way you feel.

• Like 1

When I started (early open beta), the game felt like a horror game. No fancy lighting engines, just dark, (what would eventually become) Corpus corridors, and grunting Grineer that took a lot of bullets thanks to our inherit weakness in that darkness. When I got surrounded, it was serious business. One wrong move and I'd die. Not a big deal these days, but back that, you had 4 revives a day (which people tell me was 4 revives per frame a day, but since I didn't change frames back then, it was 4 revives a day for me). Lose one and all subsequent missions are even more tense.

Honestly, I really like(d) the game as it is now (before Nightwave), I really enjoy the power fantasy, it feels like all those hours I spent playing that Horror game (which ain't my strong suit, I don't play horror games) have finally paid off, and I'm reaping the benefits of being a god. But frankly, I wouldn't mind going back to that version of Warframe for a mission or two, cause they really feel like different games, what with the limited stamina, old parkour system, shielded Grineer and all that.

• Like 1

Oh gods, I remember that old stamina bar...

I also remember that Void missions used to require Void Keys, and that people used to spend HOURS and HOURS in that one Void mission so as to get the most out of their Keys. This was how we used to farm Prime parts, IIRC.

Edited by DrakeWurrum

back when I first started in early 2015 right after the tipedo was introduced, stamina was still a thing and parkour was a race against the clock, getting to hidden areas or high spots required either zephyr or some luck with the wall jumps since there was no bullet jumping

reworked bosses wasn't a thing, tyl regor was just a large grineer with a skana, I don't even remember keyla de thaym's fight anymore

operators didn't exist, neither did sentients, the entire 2nd lower half of the orbiter (behind the arsenal) wasn't created yet

void keys, oh god the void keys, I had repressed those memories, argon crystals in T3/4 rotation c

the game changed completely when the second dream came out, full cinematics in a quest was mind blowing

the game has changed so much, it doesn't even feel like the same game anymore, except for the community, that's never changed

Spoiler

6HkCWUr.jpg

WhkIELr.jpg

kU9EVUw.jpg

oh and of course, wierdframe has never changed

Spoiler

EXroIVn.jpg

0UAX0Ur.jpg

PAaRHkm.jpg

P5HTLrG.jpg

u7O0wow.jpg?1

MWU9j0L.jpg?1

vV6XBu4.jpg?1

Eg3UFUx.jpg?1

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Etan-gK said:

the entire 2nd lower half of the orbiter (behind the arsenal) wasn't created yet

I remember when there was no Orbiter. You just logged in and saw a starchart!

16 minutes ago, Etan-gK said:

oh and of course, wierdframe has never changed

Oh god, the bugged out companions.

Spoiler

Edited by DrakeWurrum
  • Like 1

My Primary of choice depended on how long I was going to stay on that T4 defense/survival/interception. Soma / Boltor / braton etc if you didnt plan to stay for more than 20 waves/minutes. Because they had high dps but you'd need a whole magazine to take down a corrupt gunner at wave 20. Bows or snipers if you planned to go beyond that, they were much slower but would still take a gunner at wave 20 in few shots. With the exception of Mesa which has allways been a broken frame, powers were more situational and to be trully honest, I already thought they were over the top back then.

Back then random squad at pubs were never meta, and people would refrain to bring a Mesa to Nuke your game because if there were noone with some kind of shield ability, that Mesa would die non stop. Yet getting into pubs was allways worth it because an extra player was allways an extra push to whatever mission type you were doing. Nowadays it's the complete opposite, Pugs are guaranteed to have at least one person willing to stomp the map.

Back then it made sense to design platforms with stairs and ramps to get to them, because otherwise, we couldn't reach them. Nowadays adding stairs on a new tileset is 101% an aesthetical detail.

I don't want to use strong words but... the further Warframe moves away from balance, the more radical grows my oppinion against melee/parkour changes and power fantasy.

Edited by Duduminador
  • Like 1

There was a time when Ice Wave only hit in a straight line. When Snow Globes could not be popped using Freeze, and were duration-based instead of health-based making them effectively invincible and Frost a one-trick pony. When Avalanche couldn’t strip armor, and the only difference between Frost Prime and regular Frost was their looks. And most importantly, a time when Frost’s coat had no cloth physics much like Volt currently!

Dark days indeed.

• Like 1

I remember when infested were massive. The good old days of Pluto, standing on top of a crate while holding off the infested invasion.

Also as silly as Excalibur's Super Jump sounds now, back then it was actually pretty good because it saved a lot of time, saved your tush a ton, and allowed you to get to great vantage points for sniping.

I remember, when I first started out I couldn't get a hang of the parkour system. I couldn't do certain tilesets because they required parkour to progress, if I saw that tile I just aborted the mission. 

I remember when aura mods were called "artifacts" Instead, and what the sqaud had equipped was listed on the nav screen. 

I remember the first Warframe I ever farmed, Banshee, back before dojos were a thing and you instead had to get her from defence missions, there I was with my dinky little mag struggling against hordes of grineer or infested, but absolutely stomping corpus defences. 

I also remember helping my friend farm ash from the original tyl regor, a blue butcher with a skana. We stood on top of crates which confused his ai and then spent 5 minutes shooting him. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Goodwill said:

Also as silly as Excalibur's Super Jump sounds now, back then it was actually pretty good because it saved a lot of time, saved your tush a ton, and allowed you to get to great vantage points for sniping.

I never bothered to equip it.

35 minutes ago, Miser_able said:

I remember the first Warframe I ever farmed, Banshee, back before dojos were a thing and you instead had to get her from defence missions, there I was with my dinky little mag struggling against hordes of grineer or infested, but absolutely stomping corpus defences.

The first frame I farmed was actually.... Volt.

Because, at the time, he wasn't a starter frame. Mag had taken his previous spot.

Aaaaah yes, J3 Golem on Jupiter....

6 minutes ago, DrakeWurrum said:

The first frame I farmed was actually.... Volt.

Because, at the time, he wasn't a starter frame. Mag had taken his previous spot.

Aaaaah yes, J3 Golem on Jupiter....

Ah I remember him. The infested volatile with mag's pull and toxin clouds.