Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Veterans of The Game

RaDiaFox

59 minutes ago, FrostPrime said:

a time when Frost’s coat had no cloth physics

I wish they'd bring that one back...After all this time now it still feels weird to me using Frost

As for me it was the "open" Star Chart. The only node you needed to complete was the Bossnode to get the Planets Coordinates and you could be carried (happened to me when I started...MR0 with access to all planets and then no idea whre to go after I got no more support)

When did warframe actually change though?  

I really dont know...

Was it when DE made a trade market?

forgoing balance and adding Rivens?

That volleyball game?

Damage 2.0? or 3.0 or w/e?

Only logged in once in 2019 so I kinda forgot alot.

Personally, I remember a patch that nerfed Nekro's 4 and only gave him like 7-8 soldiers instead of the 20 something or so beforehand.  That **** tilted me off the face of the earth.  Deleted my Nekros.

So here is a few things I didn't see anyone mention yet:

Perk trees - Before mod-cards replaced that system, with each level you could unlock one perk on a perk tree (both weapons and Warframes had them). That was back when Warframe was absolutely P2W as without a Catalyst/Reactor you've only had access to the first HALF of a tree. And back then you couldn't get any potatos without paying plat for them. When you consider that perks included stuff like: "Increases damage by x%", without a catalyst your weapons were a LOT weaker. Not only that but for Warframes, part of those perk trees were abilities, and the fourth ability was unlocked in the second half of the tree, so without a reactor, no ultimate powers for you.

Nervos - Back when Seekers were introduced, for a short while they were using Nervos instead of Latchers. What's the difference? Instead of sticking to you and exploding, it paralyzed you, by that I mean you couldn't do anything untill you died or your teammate rescued you. So if your teammates didn't care you were just standing in the middle of the room getting shot at being unable to do anything.

Arn Etina - Before Ambulas got his current name, the same boss was named Arn Etina, he also had the same portrait that later got repurposed for Darvo. Arn Etina is also the only character in the history of Warframe that got straight up removed. (J3 Golem had an in game explanation for why he is gone and later got remade into Jordas)

Grineer Butcher - Grineer Butchers used to wield buzz saws on their arms instead of cleavers, it was possible to hear them coming from a room away.

Combat Formation Bravo - Grineer used to speak english, one of their lines was "Combat formation Bravo!". Nothing special untill you pair that with a bug that caused enemies to spawn on top of another forming towers of enemies. Due to the Grineer line, the bug got called Combat Formation Bravo, you can still get screenshots of it by googling "Warframe Combat Formation Bravo"

Rainbow Builds - After Perk Tree system got retired and made into the mod system that was close to what we've got today (mods were a thing before that actually, but you could only slot them into dedicated slots on a perk tree), the damage system stayed the same. So there was no combined elemental damage, only Fire/Cold/Electric, the Toxic damage was a thing but only on weapons that had it in their base stats (Like Mire for example). And since +90% damage is always good, every build consisted of all three elemental mods, meaning at the time it was very common to see enemies get frozen, electrocuted and set aflame (in some cases poisoned as well) at the same time.

Alabaster Excalibur Skin - I'm not a founder, but I do remember people being uspet when DE removed Alabaster Excalibur Skin, it was available only to Excalibur Prime and was basically the same texture that Excalibur Statues use in game.

BP Drops - Right now stuff like Warframe BP's from bosses is awarded after completing the mission, but before Bosses used to drop BP's as an item you've had to pick up. It was removed after DE added Nova in Update 9, she dropped from Raptor, the issue was that Raptor at first was just a big Osprey placed in a tile with a cliff inside it. Three out of four times the Raptor would just fly over the cliff so that when you've killed it, the BP dropped into the abyss and You've had to repeat the whole mission.

Switch Teleport - Loki's Switch Teleport used to work on a lot of stuff, (at the very beginning, even of Cryo-pods) that Raptor flying over the cliff I talked about earlier? Well, Loki could Switch Teleport it into a tiny room in the middle of the tile. Raptor couldn't get out so you didn't have to worry about blueprints dropping into the abyss

Edited by markus230
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, RaDiaFox said:

Veterans of the game, tell me stories of the past, I want to know what is truly different in today's game versus how it was when you start and when did if feel different. I want you to tell me if you're the type who want the game to be harder or if you want it to be more new user friendly as well.

I keep hearing about these people who say they miss the game as it was, and I'm curious about that. I think most of the newer players could also benefit from hearing things from your side no matter whichever way you feel.

Sitting in the empty black, stamina, coptering, void tower. Far too many hours of my life were spent in T4 survival.

1. Vay Hek was a grey grineer with his trusty hek asking the tenno to give uncle hek a hug

2. Captain Vor still speak in grineer back then (hu see garr)

3. Tyl Regor was a blue butcher with upside down mask wielding a skana, talking about decorating your warframe with bullet holes when he doesn't use a gun

4. Kela was a heavy gunner(?) with vulkar spawning rollers while sounding like a granny

5. Raptor was simply a prototype that you come in, kill and extract

6. Stamina bar

7. Abilities were mods

8. 4 revives per warframe that refreshes daily

9. You need to sprint before sliding and jumping while sliding makes you roll.in air while flying far

10. The sergeant was sergeant nef anyo targeted for selling cyropods to rogue scientists

11. Star chart 1.0 started at terminus, mercury and it was a miniature of solar system with planets moving around the sun

12. The menu screen was your warframe kneeling with buttons to open mods, crafting, etc

13. Screen selection has a diorama of your warframe with teammates if there's any

Endless mission “rewards”. IIRC, you kept only one reward no matter how many waves you done?

Orokin cells were precious.

I had troubles with Ferrite because it was dropping in missions with not so stellar rewards.

Old parkour animations were cool. Old parkour... not so much.

Stamina mods.

Fusion cores.

Fusion. It was better to fuse same mods together or cores. You had to select every core/mod manually. And after 3 minutes of clicking, you realized that you have not had enough credits.

Infested were weak (no ranged units), then crazy OP (for example, Disruptors deleted your energy with every hit), then they were reigned in.

CC frames were very useful.

Edited by rand0mname
  • Like 1

mods had 3 flavours, white, green and blue. And all had random stats. Farming pluto for dual stat blue mods was a thing. You could only equip a few mods in the level progression tree. And this is before dmg 2.0....

T3 Survival Rotation C.

I give thanks everyday to not have to do th--

Blazing Step Ephemera

NO, GET AWAY FROM ME.

But on a serious note, what I remember specifically was when you went to a boss to get a new Warframe, the BP was droppable... And it was not guaranteed.

Also, when in U11.5 they added Oberon as a drop from Vay Hek, who still was that old weak enemy on a platform, and he became bugged every single time until U13 rolled around with his reworked boss.

Also transmission using merely a drawn (not even a render) picture with text, and the old Lotus voice effects where she seemed to talk through an old radio!

hmmm.....i have a few ones i can remember:

the grineer Commander unit being absolutely terrifying since he usually teleported you into a group of grineers and the animation was very slow (which basically meant death)

warframe abilites were something you had to slot, like a mod

stamina bar

coptering

4 revives per day across all warframes

only 2 tilesets you ran missions in

old void with T1-T4, countless of hours grinding there for loki prime

Mag and Ember was actually pretty good frames back in the day

frames dropped from bosses or mission (no stories)

Brakk and Latron Prime being meta weapons.

defense mission objective not scaling with mission which meant you had to camp with a vauban and frost for high tiered defense missions

there is probably more but these were the ones i got off my head for now.

7 minutes ago, makaloff95 said:

hmmm.....i have a few ones i can remember:

1 - the grineer Commander unit being absolutely terrifying since he usually teleported you into a group of grineers and the animation was very slow (which basically meant death)

2 - warframe abilites were something you had to slot, like a mod

3 - stamina bar

4 - coptering

5 - 4 revives per day across all warframes

6 - only 2 tilesets you ran missions in

7 - old void with T1-T4, countless of hours grinding there for loki prime

8 - Mag and Ember was actually pretty good frames back in the day

9 - frames dropped from bosses or mission (no stories)

10 - Brakk and Latron Prime being meta weapons.

11 - defense mission objective not scaling with mission which meant you had to camp with a vauban and frost for high tiered defense missions

there is probably more but these were the ones i got off my head for now.

1 - Back when they spoke english still.
2 - oh god I hated this, literal one-trick pony builds back in the day with excals only able to do 1 ability was just pure cancer.
3 - nuff said.

4 - I miss the tipedo copter, oh what joyous fun I had while it lasted *reminiscent sigh*.

5 - I must have just missed that, was that closed beta back then?
6 - And everything was super gritty and I loved it. I sometimes wish we can have a "legacy" mode for that
7 - Oh the good ol days where all you got was Paris Prime pieces or Forma and none of what you really needed. The mountains of forma back then oh my god.
8 - Mag being press 1 to win because there was no LoS for her pull and it was pretty much 1-shot kill for any enemy regardless of level, back then.
9 - Well, it still is kinda that way. Just...a little more spread out now, more than 1 way to farm normal frames now.
10 - Back when Brakk *or* Detron was our only choice back in the Gradivus dilemma.
11 - insta popped frost shields is what made him become the frost he is today. 

11 hours ago, RaDiaFox said:

, tell me stories of the past

a few things of note, I suppose:

- we had Stamina. yes, your void powered space ninja could get out of breath, lord knows why. it got removed and I don't miss it at all. Stamina was only consumed by blocking, but still... kinda silly in hindsight.

- Coptering. essentially flinging yourself with a melee to get around faster. some people really liked it, some hated it. now we have bullet jump which is a lot better. started out with the "Zorencopter" (Dual Zoren), but then it was discovered Polearms were much better for it. everyone used to take a Tipedo or Orthos with them wherever they went, there wasn't near as much melee diversity as there is now.

- Fusion Cores. Endo is a MUCH simpler system than having to know which rarity and rank of Cores you should use: no point wasting R5 golds on a common mod, but it would take ludicrous amounts of Bronze Cores for a 10-rank mod like serration.

-limited Revives. you had 4 revives for each frame, and you could pay plat to buy them back if you lost them. now your revives replenish upon returning to the Orbiter, thank goodness.

- Pressing one button to win. pre-rework Ash and Mesa in particular, god they were boring. effective, but boring.

- Raids were a thing, I wouldn't mind seeing them come back so that CC frames have a place again, but that's probably not gonna happen. doing LoR with friends was pretty fun, I ran Vauban and spammed Bastille all the time while everyone else did the heavy lifting. you needed a Vauban and a Trinity to have any hope of completing the raid really. now they aren't really needed anywhere, save for eidolons in the case of Trinity.

- the old Void. yes, we enjoyed it while it was there, but the new system is better. I don't care how thick your rose-tinted glasses are, or how much duct tape you've used to keep them on your face, if you think the old Void is better, you are objectively wrong. granted, relics aren't perfect, but manipulating RNG (however slight) and actually having a variety of missions as opposed to 100 runs of T3 Survival to rotation C is a damnsite better than the old system. still waiting for the Derelict to get a similar rework, we still use keys for Christ sake!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, RaDiaFox said:

I want to know what is truly different in today's game versus how it was when you start and when did if feel different.

Where to begin?
I've been playing since pretty much day one closed beta so I can cut it short by just saying that pretty much everything is different.

But lets go through some examples shall we?
-Missions were originally a mix of RNG and "crafting".  Thing is you had a "battle deck" and you would draw 5 mission cards at a time.  Each mission card was a mission type (much fewer back then) and a rarity (affected level and rewards).  Once you got through all 5 cards you would draw 5 more.
This meant if you wanted a specific mission then you just had to hope it would come up, or find someone willing to host it.
You could also combine missions.  Such as doing a Rescue + Assassination, depending on the cards people put into the pool.
It was a neat idea...but annoying as well when you had to go "Well, I need to do the rare assassination..." and trying to find one was a pain.

This was eventually succeeded by starchart 1.0 (similar to what we have now, just more nodes and no junctions); then starchart 2.0 (which was just circles around planets and was confusing to figure out how to get places) and now starchart 3.0 that we have now.

-The game used to be essentially P2W.  You had perk trees instead of mod slots, that as you leveled up you could go down the trees and select certain upgrades (Health, Armor, Shields, Energy).  If you didn't have a potato in your frame you just couldn't access your three or four ability at all and could only go through half of the perk tree before running out of nodes.
DE even toyed around with a "prime account" subscription where all of your frames and weapons would be "super charged", and decided against it when the community voiced concerns over P2W.

-Mods used to be pure RNG (and could be dual-statted!).  Back in perk trees there were still mods you could put into mod slots, but there was no upgrade ability.  You could find a +damage mod with +15% damage or +50% damage.
And you could forget about farming for them.  Any enemy in the game could drop any mod, at any strength.  It was hell trying to get upgrades.
The only good thing about the system really was some of the daulstats you could find (+health/+Armor) and similar if you were lucky.
You could also stack mods.  I mean it was possible to put all of your mod-slots into +damage mods if you really wanted to.

-Elements used to not combine and used to always proc.  For example if you put in a fire mod and an ice mod into a weapon every shot would light the enemy on fire and slow them down.  Lead to "rainbow" builds because why wouldn't you slot in all the elemental damage at once?

-There was "pure" damage which ignored all armor...and was the only damage worth building towards.  Some weapons were OP back then due to having this armor ignore damage, such as the Flux Rifle.
There was also "forcefield" damage, used in the glaives, that guaranteed knockdowns.  So many bosses knocked into pits for instant kills.

Eventually we got the modding we know today, which is miles better in quite a few regards.

-Talking about bosses: Boss drops used to be instanced and not guaranteed.  It was possible to kill a boss and not get a warframe part for your efforts.  Further you had to pick up the part that dropped yourself, and if it rolled into a pit?  Oh well, no warframe part for you.
Made farming for frames much more tedious and annoying.
Also bolt weapons could pin the drops to the cieling for a while...meaning a troll could launch your rewards into an unreachable area for fun.

Also finding the way to the boss was harder.  It was far less likely to be on the way to extraction, and could even spawn in the opposite direction from extraction, meaning that if someone rushed into the boss room and killed the boss before you got there?  Good luck ever finding that room.

-Maps used to be much larger...and emptier.  Far less "Cap" rooms/closets you find now.  I remember once just walking in a single direction for dozens upon dozens of tiles..with nothing really to see or do in them since they were so barren.
DE decided to rein in the map generation for a few reasons, such as making the missions a bit faster, making it easier for the AI to get to players, and for performance reasons (four players heading in four directions for 50+ tiles each caused issues)

This was an extra hellish thing back when nightmare missions were introduced and one of the possibilities was "no minimap", which removed your minimap (and note back then we didn't have markers on our Hud to show us the way, it was 100% minimap based navigation)
Good luck finding anything without any markers or map to go by with the old map generation in place.

-Bosses were just bigger normal units.
For example Vor used to just be a red sawman (flameblades used to be called sawmen and had a rotating saw in one hand, still remember the revving noises they made) with a few ability.
Tyl Regor was one of the more annoying ones because he could use bullet attractor (one of mags old abilities) so if you shot your gun your bullets would just hit you.

-We used to have a stamina bar that affected most things.  Roll?  Use stamina.  Wall run?  use stamina.  Jump?  Use stamina.  Block?  Use stamina.  Melee attack?  Use stamina.  Run?  use stamina.
It was annoying.  Fastest way to get around was "Run-Slide-Run-Slide" so you could keep your stamina up over long distances.

Then DE added in coptering, and unless you used a very specific set of weapons you just couldn't keep up in any way; and if you did use those weapons stamina was pointless.

-Parkour used to not be a thing.
Eventually DE added in the ability to wall run and jump off of walls.  Much harder and far more limiting than what we can do today.
After that they added in more parkour abilities until we get to bullet jumping.

-All factions spoke english.
Commonly remembered by the Grineers "Combat Formation Bravo!" as well as "Don't talk about my mom that way!"
The corpus had quite a few notifications in their ships along the lines of "Listen to crew members..." and "incident on this deck..."

-Stealth used to be even more binary than it is now.
You were either not detected, or you had every enemy magically know where you were; and you couldn't even reset the alarms.
And by know where you were: When they introduced railgun moas with their punch-through it was actually infinite punch through.  They would start shooting at you from whatever tile they spawned in and suddenly you would be stagger locked to death by enemies that you couldn't do anything about.

-You were limited in your revives to four per day per frame.
And if you wanted to get more revives?  Pay for them with plat.
This severely hurt new players without touching more established players at all.  DE removed it because even they agreed it was scummy.

-"Endless" missions granted you only 1 reward.
Oh you went 20 minutes?  You get the one rotation C reward you extracted on, none of the previous rewards were given.
This changed after a few months but was annoying because if you saw a good reward you had to stop there.

And so much more beyond this.
I could ramble on for quite a bit longer...but this game has just changed so much since it was first in beta, and the vast majority of those changes have been great.

EDIT:

1 hour ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

- we had Stamina. yes, your void powered space ninja could get out of breath, lord knows why. it got removed and I don't miss it at all. Stamina was only consumed by blocking, but still... kinda silly in hindsight.

Not entirely true.  I remember the annoyance of "Sprint half way through this room...then walk because you're out of breath!" that filled the early days of WF.
Which is why "butt-scooting" became a thing.  You didn't really lose speed and you kept your stamina up far longer.

Later on they removed stamina from running..but it took them over a year to do that.

Edited by Tsukinoki

* I remember the time when warframe abilities were just mods that you had to install, like augment mods.Ash's ultimate and shuriken were garbage so I changed the polarities and installed stat mods instead. I was only using Ash teleport and smoke screen for a long time. 

* Before Parkour 2.0, navigating around was actually not easy. For example Excalibur had an ability called "super jump." It allowed you to jump higher. Yes, that was actually an ability that took up a mod slot in your frame.

* For some reason, eventhough we had less mods, there was a build variety for weapons and frames. Like we didn't have "do it all" warframes. You had to specialize in certain things.

* I also remember the stamina bar, I hope they bring it back. That was pre melee 2.0 iirc and I think melee spamming should go and a more intelligent use of melee(more combo based) should be implemented. 

* The core level design seemed darker, infested missions were tense. You'd rely on flashlights to properly see around.

* We had the void key system, the predecessor of the garbage relic system. You'd farm a key, and with the key you would unlock void missions and even bring friends along. You'd go for 40 min t3 survivals. Best days of this game. When we had pseudo "end game" content, and it was somewhat exclusive.

* Some of the bosses also looked like regular mobs with slightly bigger size and different color. Like tyl regor, or golem. I guess that sergeant Corpus boss still looks like that.

2 minutes ago, White_Matter said:

* We had the void key system, the predecessor of the garbage relic system. You'd farm a key, and with the key you would unlock void missions and even bring friends along. You'd go for 40 min t3 survivals. Best days of this game. When we had pseudo "end game" content, and it was somewhat exclusive.

Void key system was the best, wish we still had it though. .—.

I believe I started a month after destiny 1 was released. Warframe is a completely different game now. I remember the stamina bar, old parkour system, the void keys ( I do miss those) no operator mode, no arcanes, limited revives per day, the stalker actually was scary. Tis the day when we were men and we faced our fears head on. Now we still face our fears but we have a few more pacifiers to choose from. 

4 hours ago, makaloff95 said:

Mag and Ember was actually pretty good frames back in the day

Mag is still good, though her passive is useless.

Ember is... I would say outshined. The rework did her no favors. When Equinox and Saryn can wipe entire maps of enemies without having LoS, hurting Ember's playstyle makes no sense.

2 hours ago, White_Matter said:

We had the void key system, the predecessor of the garbage relic system. You'd farm a key, and with the key you would unlock void missions and even bring friends along. You'd go for 40 min t3 survivals. Best days of this game. When we had pseudo "end game" content, and it was somewhat exclusive.

I actually like the relic system better. I just hate how annoying it is to farm traces, and how we really have no incentive to hoard traces up to the MR cap.

Edited by DrakeWurrum