Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Excalibur: What kind of warrior uses only half their tools? (REPOST from October 2018)

Excalibur

Good morning, or evening, or whatever time it is where you are.

As if it wasn't obvious from the get-go, my favorite frame is Excalibur. I love the guy. Fun to use, great aesthetic, solid pick all around. And you know what? He absolutely lives up to his market description;

'A perfect balance of mobility and offense, Excalibur is the ideal Warframe for new players.'

...but what if he was something more? What if we improved upon the building blocks Excalibur has, and turned him into something better?

Now, I'm not going to suggest here that 'hey let's have Excalibur be capable of solo Tridolon runs with his powerkit', because my intent isn't to have Excalibur be a 'meta' pick.

But as it stands right now, as fun as he is, he could be more fun.

In an average mission, let's say with level 30+ enemies, my toolkit usage is simple.

1) Slash dash for mobility, to fix poorly executed jumps (aiming up, slash dashing, etc), pinpoint accuracy usually. Useful mobility.

2) Exalted Blade /w Chromatic Blade if I'm feeling spicy.

3) Radial Blind if someone goes down, pick 'em up mostly because I don't want to bother taking out my lovely Operator, crouching, and doing it that way.

4) That's it.

'But Excalibur!', you might ask. 'What about different mission conditions?'

I'm glad you asked! Let's explore a mission where more of my kit will see usage, with Chromatic Blade as the only augment currently equipped. (I'll get to that point soon.) Let's say we're hitting 80+ sortie enemies.

1) Slash dash once again for mobility. Potentially useful for a hard knockdown on an enemy that's giving me trouble.

2) Radial Blind.

3) Start swingin' with Exalted Blade. Everything (usually) dies. If it's not dead, either it soon will be, or soon will be.

4) That's it.

There's a few things missing here, you might notice! Where's Radial Javelin? What about augments like Furious Javelin, or Surging Dash? What about Radiant Finish?!

To which I ask you; what about them.

As a quick aside; I don't think Excalibur's kit is bad. I just think it needs some updates, some tweaks, so that it's all more usable. Look at Nidus. All of his abilities properly synergize, whereas Excalibur's abilities have very few synergies - and the ones they do have are lackluster at best.

Why would I use a mod slot on Furious Javelin? A 5% damage boost per enemy hit - duration affected by duration mods, multiplicative damage buff with power strength. Neat! Why bother. I can blind enemies with Radial Blind and get 700% extra stealth damage multiplier on them, melting them in SECONDS with a regular Exalted Blade.

Surging Dash? Combo counter increased by 4 per enemy hit. Power strength in optimal conditions allows for 16 extra combo per enemy. So what happens with the melee rework? Why would I use this? To hit a higher combo faster? Considering Slash Dash already does pitiful damage (though it does scale with the combo counter and provides a hard knockdown, and is a useful mobility aid), it's still a mod slot better used elsewhere.

Radiant Finish? 300% extra damage on finishers from blinded enemies, scales with power strength up to 1236% extra finisher damage under optimal conditions. Sounds fantastic. On paper. But why BOTHER? It's another mod slot I could use elsewhere, the extra damage only applies to finishers, and Radial Blind already provides 700% extra damage from the stealth damage multiplier, on EVERY melee hit. Not JUST finishers. Radiant Finish is Overkill: The Mod.

Then you have Chromatic Blade.

Chromatic Blade is a STRAIGHT buff. You trade your physical I/P/S damage for pure elemental damage, an extra 50% status chance on EB (scales with power strength), and works with Condition Overload. The damage you can output is absurd. Most things on the regular starchart die in less than a second. If a sortie enemy is giving you trouble, you can soften them up with blind and just start swinging - they'll die just as fast.

Why would I use any other augment mod, besides Chromatic Blade? Why would I use Radial Javelin and Slash Dash for damage dealing purposes, when I can just ignore Radial Javelin's drain on my energy pool and use Slash Dash as mobility? Why would I bother using half of my kit when I can just press 4 and become a blender.

To which I say, that's boring.

So let's spice things up a bit.

I present to you; Excalibur! The swordsman of the ages, master of all blades, and an unstoppable force. In the immortal words of the Madurai school; They followed the path of Engage The Enemy. Their swift, uncompromising onslaught, holding nothing back and recklessly attacking their foes, could vanquish an opponent before he had the chance to steel himself. Speed and savagery characterized this school.

So let's get savage.

1) Excalibur's Passive
Excalibur's passive will remain unchanged, though it is incredibly relevant.

2) Slash Dash - bold text indicates changes.

Ability Name: Blade Charge

CURRENT STATS:
250 base damage, split 15% Impact, 15% Puncture, 70% Slash.

Cone length affected by ability range.

Holding down the ability button allows Excalibur to focus the charge, doubling Blade Charge's enemy cost but singling out the enemy in his crosshairs. Releasing a full charge will cause Excalibur to stab at the enemy, rushing forward and impaling all in his path for 250 base damage at level 30, split 70% puncture, 10% slash, 20% impact, before hitting his target for 500 base damage with the same split, inflicting a Puncture proc and refunding half of Blade Charge's energy cost.

Casting the ability by default utilizes old Slash Dash mechanics. While charging Blade Charge, Excalibur can see the cone he will attack in - releasing before a full charge will also Slash Dash as normal.

Charging time affected by Natural Talent.

While Exalted Blade is in use, a fully charged Blade Charge will pierce with an energy thrust for 10 meters past the final target, scaling with Range mods - each enemy hit by the energy thrust invigorates Excalibur, giving them 5 energy.

If the player has a longsword, dual sword, rapier, or nikana equipped, Blade Charge receives a 10% bonus to its damage from Excalibur's passive.

2a) Surging Dash

Augment Name: Dueling Charge

CURRENT AUGMENT:
Each enemy hit during Slash Dash increases your melee counter by 4.

NEW AUGMENT:
Blade Charge now targets a single enemy - for death, increasing damage done to it with melee weaponry by 25/50/75% for 8 seconds. Excalibur also takes increased damage from the enemy at the same levels.

Damage bonus scales with power strength - both ways. Better finish that duel fast, or pick your battles wisely.

Blade Charge can now no longer target enemies in a cone, and will ALWAYS target a single enemy.

Charging the ability functions identically, save for the increased damage from a full charge.

3) Radial Blind

Ability Name: Radial Blind

Radial Blind functions identically as its old ability, save for an interaction with Blade Charge.

Hitting a blinded enemy with a fully charged Blade Charge will do a finisher, rather than a hard knockdown + puncture proc.

3a) Radiant Finish

Augment Name: Radiant Flourish

CURRENT AUGMENT:
Damage dealt by finishers against enemies blinded by Radial Blind/Radial Howl increased by 300%.

NEW AUGMENT:
Excalibur's Radial Blind now acts as a taunting flourish, increasing the energy recovery of Blade Charge by 25/50/75% at the cost of lowered Blind duration by 10/6/4 seconds. Lowered Blind duration is FIXED and cannot be changed - it will always be lowered by 4 seconds at max rank.

4) Radial Javelin

Ability Name: Blade Roulette

CURRENT STATS:
Excalibur summons 12 javelins against enemies within a radius of 25 meters. Excalibur then drives his weapon into the ground, launching the javelins into their targets. Each javelin inflicts 1000 damage.

NEW STATS, ABILITY:
Excalibur summons 4/6/8/10 blades around himself, which float and occupy space behind Excalibur for 5/10/15/20 seconds. Swinging with your melee weapon will cause one blade to seek out a nearby target within 10 meters, slashing them as a deadly afterimage for 250/400/550/700 damage, split 10% Puncture/10% Impact/80% Slash, before disappearing. Recasting the ability will cause all remaining swords to fly to the nearest target within 10 meters and slash in unison for their combined total damage. Damage affected by power strength, sword targeting radius affected by range, number of swords NOT affected by any stats. Blade duration increased by duration mods.

Synergies:
Blade Charge. A default Blade Charge will cause each enemy to be hit by one sword, before disappearing. A fully charged Blade Charge will cause two blades to seek out two enemies by the impact point, slashing them before disappearing.

Radial Blind. Enemies will take increased damage from Radial Blind's stealth damage multiplier.

4a) Furious Javelin

Augment Name: Empowering Blades

CURRENT AUGMENT:
5% extra melee damage for every enemy hit by Radial Javelin, for 12 seconds.

NEW AUGMENT:
Blades now decay at a rate of 2 every 5/10/15/20 seconds, and no longer seek out targets. Each blade in Excalibur's possession increases his melee damage and attack speed by 5/10/15/20% when channeling.

5) Exalted Blade

Ability Name: Exalted BLADES (caps optional.)

Exalted Blades has Excalibur summon forth his ethereal Skana - to start.

Using your alt-fire toggle causes Excalibur to change his blades stance, cycling between one of four styles;

Default: Skana. Utilizes the Exalted Blade stance. 'Summon a sword of pure light and immense power.' Increased channeling efficiency and strength from original Exalted Blade.
First Toggle: Dual Dakra. Utilizes the Exalted Fury stance, modified Carving Mantis. 'Summon twin blades of righteous, blistering fury.' Features faster attack speed, lower damage, increased status chance - energy waves removed from this stance.
Second Toggle: Destreza. Utilizes the Exalted Nobility stance, modified Vulpine Mask. 'Summon a rapier of expert precision.' Identical stats to Exalted Blade, but with precise stabs and thrusts - energy waves become energy thrusts, increasing Excalibur's effective melee range by triple its base. Increased channeling efficiency and strength.
Third Toggle: Nikana. Utilizes the Exalted Judgement stance, modified blend of Blind Justice/Decisive Judgement. 'Summon a nikana of unimaginable strength.' Slower attack speed, increased damage, increased crit and crit multiplier.
Fourth Toggle: Back to Skana.

Finishing a combo with one stance and then swapping to another stance increases Excalibur's 'Sovereignty' gauge, encouraging you to move to your next stance. You gain one notch on the gauge per stance change, up to four notches (One for Skana, another for Dakra, the third for Destreza, and the fourth from Nikana). Swapping back to Skana after the fourth notch is gained empowers Excalibur with immense strength, changing his heavy attack into the Sovereign Strike - a downward, heavy slice that extends 30 meters out from Excalibur's front, and 10 meters to either side of the swing - this attack consumes all four notches giving 20 energy per notch, and the cycle begins anew.

5a) Chromatic Blade

Augment Name: Exalted Tyrant

CURRENT AUGMENT:
Increased Exalted Blade's status chance while changing its damage from physical damage to primary elemental damage, depending on Excalibur's chosen energy color.

NEW AUGMENT:
A full Sovereignty gauge empowers Excalibur - at a price. Gain 20/40/60% extra damage with a full Sovereign gauge, but suffer 100/75/50% more damage. Resetting the Sovereign gauge removes these effects.

So there you have it. My idea for an almost complete rework of Excalibur's kit.

The idea behind the rework is to make Excalibur more fun, but also to make his kit synergize better with his other abilities. I know these changes would likely make Excalibur significantly more energy hungry, hence why Blade Charge restores energy, as well as consuming all four of your Sovereign Gauge notches. Excalibur's new cycle would be of rising power, a stunning finish, and then building himself back up time and time again.

As well, I know my rework of Chromatic Blade might be a touch controversial, but I genuinely feel the bonus from it wouldn't have worked with this kit - nobody would want to leave the Dual Dakra stance, or even bother with the gauge. It would continue to engender passivity - and that's not the point of this rework. The point of this rework is to make Excalibur a far more active force on the battlefield - a nonstop, furious onslaught.

A warrior-god, cast in steel and fury, striking the enemy in NEW ways they could never comprehend.

Excalibur: The sovereign.

I'd LOVE to hear from people on this, because this is a topic (evidently) very near and dear to me. Criticism is happily accepted, and I know the numbers would likely need a HUGE amount of tweaking. But please, give me your input! I'm open to suggestions, ideas, even reworking things as time goes on!

And if anyone from DE is reading this; hi, I love you, and I hope you like what I've done here.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Hawk_of_the_Reborn said:

hahah no please. Use a different warframe if you want more than 4 powers and a passive

Or we could bring every Warframe up to a better standard rather than just completely dismiss them.

You know.

The smart thing.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Excalibur said:

Or we could bring every Warframe up to a better standard rather than just completely dismiss them.

You know.

The smart thing.

It's called reworks. And DE has been doing them for quite a while now, though Excal already had his some years ago. Ember, Nyx, and especially my main train boy Vauban need one more.

• Like 1

Just now, Hawk_of_the_Reborn said:

It's called reworks. And DE has been doing them for quite a while now, though Excal already had his some years ago. Ember, Nyx, and especially my main train boy Vauban need one more.

If they need one more, why not give Excalibur one more as well? Let's face it - Ember, Nyx, and yes ESPECIALLY ESPECIALLY trainboy need a touch-up, rework, retooling, etc etc. I'm keenly aware of that. And so does Excalibur.

I'd appreciate actual constructive criticism, not a loose dismissal of 'go play someone else'. That's the point of this thread - this part of the forum is about feedback.

A lot of frames need reworks. This threads 'bout Excal.

(Though I encourage more threads about reworks, tho. Again. Especially Vauban. Poor guy needs love.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Excalibur said:

If they need one more, why not give Excalibur one more as well? Let's face it - Ember, Nyx, and yes ESPECIALLY ESPECIALLY trainboy need a touch-up, rework, retooling, etc etc. I'm keenly aware of that. And so does Excalibur.

I'd appreciate actual constructive criticism, not a loose dismissal of 'go play someone else'. That's the point of this thread - this part of the forum is about feedback.

A lot of frames need reworks. This threads 'bout Excal.

(Though I encourage more threads about reworks, tho. Again. Especially Vauban. Poor guy needs love.)

Right, that was constructive. Rough but still. You should play old excal and then come back to us about "Making excal more OP than he already is"

Right, that was constructive. Rough but still. You should play old excal and then come back to us about "Making excal more OP than he already is"

I DID play old Excal.

I've been here almost as long as YOU have. It's not Excalibur who's overpowered - it's ONE augment mod for ONE ability. I sure do like using one ability and only one ability forever, I say with absolute, pained sarcasm.

And how is telling me 'go play someone else if you want to have more stuff' constructive? How is that even rough constructive criticism?

I know what I'm talking about - right now, Excalibur as a Warframe is outdated in terms of design. Newer frames like Hildryn, for example - their entire toolkit synergizes well. We need more design like that, and working on the building blocks of Warframe is beneficial to players old and new.

3 minutes ago, Excalibur said:

I DID play old Excal.

I've been here almost as long as YOU have. It's not Excalibur who's overpowered - it's ONE augment mod for ONE ability. I sure do like using one ability and only one ability forever, I say with absolute, pained sarcasm.

And how is telling me 'go play someone else if you want to have more stuff' constructive? How is that even rough constructive criticism?

I know what I'm talking about - right now, Excalibur as a Warframe is outdated in terms of design. Newer frames like Hildryn, for example - their entire toolkit synergizes well. We need more design like that, and working on the building blocks of Warframe is beneficial to players old and new.

Excal is a sword frame. Pretty simple, really. Everything about excal is meant to be simple and effective. He's the AK-47 of warframes, boring to look at and play, but he gets the job done just as good as any of the "Best"

Excal is a sword frame. Pretty simple, really. Everything about excal is meant to be simple and effective. He's the AK-47 of warframes, boring to look at and play, but he gets the job done just as good as any of the "Best"

And everything about what I've posted up there, for a proposed rework, is simple and effective. And no Warframe should be boring to play. Let Warframes be unique, fascinating, interesting even. None of them should be boring to play.

Literally the biggest thing this rework is asking for, is synergy in ability design. Is that really so much to ask for that you're totally fine with him being a 'boring' Warframe?

1 minute ago, (XB1)Skippy575 said:

Ah yes, because reposting something from several months ago makes sense.

Excal is fine.

I reposted it to renew the discussion.

I don't want to say you didn't actually read any of what I posted, but he's not fine where he's at. He's a relic of outdated design, and we can do better than that.

• Like 1

1. Nice fonts

Spoiler

unknown.png

2. I don´t like your change for his 1 and 4, since i´m not a fan an hold to charge attacks and cycling abilities (lokking at you ivara and vauban nvm he´s already dead)
3. I don´t see any need to update him, besides his radianl javelin. Your changes to radial javelin sound interesting, but having the blades behind him might block the view/distract.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dark_Lugia said:

1. Nice fonts

Reveal hidden contents

unknown.png

2. I don´t like your change for his 1 and 4, since i´m not a fan an hold to charge attacks and cycling abilities (lokking at you ivara and vauban nvm he´s already dead)
3. I don´t see any need to update him, besides his radianl javelin. Your changes to radial javelin sound interesting, but having the blades behind him might block the view/distract.

1. oh god that's horrifying on dark mode why didn't I see it

2. I understand that, but I'd like to think in practice it would feel good. I know I can't please everyone with my ideas, though. I know Exalted Blades is written as a cycling ability, but it doesn't quite cycle like Ivara's (where you tap to cycle, hold to cast) - it's just on an alt-fire that you swap stances. I hope that assists with that particular 'feel' to gameplay. But I do get where you're coming from with his 1 - I was kind of hoping to emulate a Stinger-esque ability, though maybe the charge shouldn't take long to cast? I know Hydroid's Barrage feels like it takes AGES to build up without Natural Talent.

3. Try and see where I'm coming from on this - when you compare Excalibur, from a design standpoint, to a vast majority of other Warframes that have been released...well, first off it's fascinating to see DE's design philosophy for Frame abilities change over time. Secondly, he's outdated as helllllll. Like I said earlier in the thread; he's a relic. He's a rusty ol' relic and he needs a new coat.

RE; his 3 blocking his view - that's a good point, I hadn't considered that! Maybe there's something that could be done to make them still visually distinct, but not something that gets in the way of the user's view when aiming. Kind of like how some shoulderpieces like Arca fold down when aiming?

• Like 1

Zitat

RE; his 3 blocking his view - that's a good point, I hadn't considered that! Maybe there's something that could be done to make them still visually distinct, but not something that gets in the way of the user's view when aiming. Kind of like how some shoulderpieces like Arca fold down when aiming?

Or a bit like the old/planned garuda 4, or a bit glass-like like garas splinter storm.

• Like 1

I would like if slash dash was aim-able. 

You would paint targets like your firing missiles but your actually firing YOURSELF at the enemies.

While painting targets the beginning of the John Cena intro plays, and the longer it plays the more some stat goes up. When you finally let go and start killin, that’s when the John Cena Intro thing happens. 

1 minute ago, Dark_Lugia said:

Or a bit like the old/planned garuda 4, or a bit glass-like like garas splinter storm.

Honestly, anything's better than it disrupting the player's view or being hella distracting. Radial Javelin is already collecting dust, we wouldn't want a new version of it collecting...more dust.

That feel when you tell Excalibur to play Excalibur.

But yeah, most of the early frames necessitate a rework (or two) to have synergy. Back when the game was younger it was a straight forward running down hallways semi-tactical horde thingy. Now everything is gigantic earth shattering space magic, Excalibur was the first, but he would still be relatively in-line with the others design wise. The earlier frames have/had themed abilities, rather than ones that flow well into one another, any suggestions seem healthy to me.

Excalibur is very capable, if you enjoy straight lines he can be fun to play, but I agree that he would do to have some looking in to. It doesn't have to be an overhaul, it doesn't have to be a stats change, that much is up to DE. But it's a suggestions thread, so offering ideas and tweaks is great, flatly repeatedly saying "no" seems kind of... contrarian.

He's the swordsman warframe, having him able to swap between exalted melee types that function similarly to the current one would be sick. It could determine the physical damage proc type for his 1, and honestly I forgot that his 2 and 3 aren't the same ability because they seem like small caveats that would be extras on an actual one.

Chaining attacks, changing stances, a Finesse gauge that gets you moving faster, and hitting harder, the more combos you can pull off while rotating through exalted weapons?
Lots of ways he could be made a lot more interesting, with synergy, and stay on theme while retaining his current abilities and improving upon them to be mechanically more interesting.

Just now, (NSW)Sk0rp1on said:

I would like if slash dash was aim-able. 

You would paint targets like your firing missiles but your actually firing YOURSELF at the enemies.

While painting targets the beginning of the John Cena intro plays, and the longer it plays the more some stat goes up. When you finally let go and start killin, that’s when the John Cena Intro thing happens. 

It's funny you say that - I actually did intend for Blade Charge to kind of function in the sense that, while you're charging it, the cone 'narrows' - each target in the cone being highlighted to show who you're damaging - until it ends on a single target.

I should probably write that in. (JOHN CENA INTRO NOT OPTIONAL)

Dunno how much anime you are watching, OP, but that kind of rework is a bit over the top, I would say.

Especially the proposed changes to exalted blade - Chromatic Blade is picked because of the synergy with Condition Overload, I am sure you know. Removing it would be a big loss to Excalibur's killing power.

Can't say I would completely disagree with the rest, especially the change to Radial Javelin. But Excal is not in a hot need for a rework.

Edited by Guest

13 minutes ago, Datam4ss said:

Dunno how much anime you are watching, OP, but that kind of rework is a bit over the top, I would say.

Especially the proposed changes to exalted blade - Chromatic Blade is picked because of the synergy with Condition Overload, I am sure you know. Removing it would be a big loss to Excalibur's killing power.

Can't say I would completely disagree with the rest, especially the change to Radial Javelin. But Excal is not in a hot need for a rework.

1. A lot. You ever seen Demon Slayer? Good, good anime.

2. I'm glad you don't disagree with the rest - and you're right! He's not a 'high priority' rework. I'm not about to print out this rework and nail it to DE's doors like some modern day Protestant shenanigans, but I do think he needs one nonetheless. Other frames need more drastic measures (Vaubanvaubanvaubanvauban), but he still needs one.

But I'd like to ask you a question.

13 minutes ago, Datam4ss said:

Would you ever not use Chromatic Blade? EDIT: And if so, why?

Edited by Excalibur
SPLIT SECOND FAST EDIT CUZ HIT ENTER TOO FAST

1 minute ago, Excalibur said:

Would you ever not use Chromatic Blade? EDIT: And if so, why?

I lived without it until it actually came out. Slapped on Crit Mods and used berserker over Primed Fury instead. Was here for quite a long time (and there was no Primed Fury when EB first came out).

Still did ok with the blind + EB even on Sortie. Sure, it won't be as awesome but you do get slash procs which you will never see with Chromatic Blade. Plus Chromatic Blade kinda sucks on elemental resist (I would use another frame anyway).

4 minutes ago, Excalibur said:

2. I'm glad you don't disagree with the rest - and you're right! He's not a 'high priority' rework. I'm not about to print out this rework and nail it to DE's doors like some modern day Protestant shenanigans, but I do think he needs one nonetheless. Other frames need more drastic measures (Vaubanvaubanvaubanvauban), but he still needs one.

Well, I cannot disagree with Fate Extella Charlemagne's auto seeking exploding sword rain thing...

But to be fair, Excalibur doesn't really need anything that drastic. I personally feel he's ok mostly and Radial Javelin is the only thing that needs looking at.

5 minutes ago, Excalibur said:

1. A lot. You ever seen Demon Slayer? Good, good anime.

I only watch (almost pure) Fanservice stuff. Wrong guy to ask.

1 minute ago, Datam4ss said:

I only watch (almost pure) Fanservice stuff. Wrong guy to ask.

Hey, different strokes for different folks.

1 minute ago, Datam4ss said:

I lived without it until it actually came out. Slapped on Crit Mods and used berserker over Primed Fury instead. Was here for quite a long time (and there was no Primed Fury when EB first came out).

Still did ok with the blind + EB even on Sortie. Sure, it won't be as awesome but you do get slash procs which you will never see with Chromatic Blade. Plus Chromatic Blade kinda sucks on elemental resist (I would use another frame anyway).

Yeah, same idea I had. The issue I think right now is that Chromatic Blade is too strong. I know, I know, but for real - it's absurd how strong it is with Condition Overload. That's why I DO think it needs to go. With that being said, maybe, MAYBE each Exalted Blade variant could have a different element to it? Just something to think about. I LIKE Chromatic Blade! I like the elemental aspects of it. I just think it's way, way too strong. Augments shouldn't make an ability flat out stronger - they should change how an ability works in some way.

I don't really agree that he doesn't need an overhaul, though. The way I view it, if we're tweaking Radial Javelin, go for broke.

11 minutes ago, Excalibur said:

Yeah, same idea I had. The issue I think right now is that Chromatic Blade is too strong. I know, I know, but for real - it's absurd how strong it is with Condition Overload. That's why I DO think it needs to go. With that being said, maybe, MAYBE each Exalted Blade variant could have a different element to it? Just something to think about. I LIKE Chromatic Blade! I like the elemental aspects of it. I just think it's way, way too strong. Augments shouldn't make an ability flat out stronger - they should change how an ability works in some way.

Considering loads of augments just add powers to an ability, like Gara's Mending Splinters or Spectrosiphon ... I think DE's interpretation is a bit different - augment is more of giving up one mod slot to make one power better. These are not Diablo Skillgems - they take away one mod slot, so of course they better be good.

If Augments had their own slot/were selected as part of the skill then maybe I would agree.

Also, Exalted Blade can only apply two (or 3 with some mechanics playing around) statuses when using Condition Overload. You would have to apply the 4th and beyond status with another weapon, so you have to build around it for max damage. I wouldn't say it is absurdly strong, given Wukong can do the exact same except without any augment (not to mention Wukong's Iron Staff is definitely stronger within its very large melee range now, as it can proc both impact and slash + the elements, giving you 4 (or 5 if you know how) procs).

I wouldn't personally agree with adding Saber's Excaliblast to Exalted Blade and all the clunk because:

1. Lots of stupid code - DE has shown themselves to be incompetent at times with code, so we can't have skins on Zaws and Kitguns. They do bungle up sometimes and making such a convoluted ability is just making more problems.

2. Convoluted to play without increased fun - It doesn't reward effort. It rewards exact formulaic gameplay of pressing a rotation within the skill itself, just to get the Excaliblast for the AoE and the energy regen. Reminds me of the combo enders in Fate Extella 1. There is a reason these became activated powers in the sequel...

3.You can't build crit or status anymore. Now what?

11 minutes ago, Excalibur said:

I don't really agree that he doesn't need an overhaul, though. The way I view it, if we're tweaking Radial Javelin, go for broke.

DE thinks the exact opposite.

They are minimum effort when it comes to reworks.

The only reason why you see more comprehensive stuff now is because players keep complaining and small changes are not satisfying anyone.

Excalibur is on the other hand mostly ok and most just are annoyed with Radial Javelin ... so any rework would only touch Radial Javelin.

Edited by Guest

excal. easiest way to spice him up and change javelin from being a useless low lv nuke. 

Makes his javelins mark the enemies it hits and make his sword waves home in onto marked enemies. Changes utility of the ability and makes his kit a lil more interactive outside of "boring swinging noises" 

The only issue Excalibur has is that his Radial Javelin is basically a worse version of his 2 with no melee openings and a small amount of damage (also the base targeting range of slash dash seems too small, and when adding extra range through mods it seems to big, but that's just me).

Everything else is fine on him.