Sign in to follow this  
DrakeWurrum

Proposed improvement to Melee 2.9 blocking

Posted (edited)

I posted this in the megathread, but I feel like this could use a more focused discussion, since it's likely to get lost there.

So while I'm loving the auto-block mechanic (because, frankly, I would always forget to bother blocking before the change), the fact that right-clicking automatically switches me to the gun is a bit problematic. I can no longer manually glide with my melee weapon out - instead this automatically happens if I happen to auto-parry while mid-jump. It also means that ANY melee combo using the block button (right-click for us PC users) becomes a bit frustrating and... clunky? Definitely not smooth. This also causes problems specifically with the mod Guardian Derision, as we can no longer manually block to "taunt" enemies to us.

I propose a change: allow us to still manually block with right-click, but make it a sort of "full block" - while blocking with right-click, we negate ALL damage from gunfire. The trade-off here is, while blocking, we are not attacking. The auto-block can be based on the weapon stats still, like it currently is.

Then change it so, while the melee weapon is out, the F button does NOT switch us between primary/secondary guns, but just takes us back to our currently-equipped gun. (of course left-click will still do this, but snipers need to scope)

This way we get the best of both worlds. We get the fluidity of the melee 2.9 mechanics AND we get to manually block.

Edited by DrakeWurrum
  • Upvote 2

Yup, this please. More of this.  The only thing about 2.9 I genuinely don't like is the lack of a melee aim glide. Plus, with the greater emphasis on right-click shown off in the Wukong Staff stances rework, it seems strange to keep that as a switch button.

The only adjustment I'd like to suggest is this:

9 minutes ago, DrakeWurrum said:

Then change it so, while the melee weapon is out, the F button does NOT switch us between primary/secondary guns, but just takes us back to our currently-equipped gun. (of course left-click will still do this, but snipers need to scope)

F currently switches back to the other gun because then we have both guns available. I don't want to lose that. Instead, I'd stick the ADS on double-tapping right click, which is much faster and keeps the existing control scheme.

For those who prefer the single-tap, there could be an option in the menu to change between them, kind of like how you can switch whether hold or tap is the switch input for wheel abilities.

Posted (edited)

I put down some ideas for it in my own thread:

Definitely needs to be a return to manual blocking of some sort.

Edited by Cradicias

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

The only thing about 2.9 I genuinely don't like is the lack of a melee aim glide.

It still exists... it's just automatic, if you happen to automatically block while in mid-air. It was rather jarring when it happened, because I wasn't expecting to glide, and totally interrupted the flow of my movements.

16 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

F currently switches back to the other gun because then we have both guns available. I don't want to lose that. Instead, I'd stick the ADS on double-tapping right click, which is much faster and keeps the existing control scheme.

Actually, with my proposed change, that would mean double-tapping F switches you to the other gun. So it's not really lost. Normally I end up tapping F to switch back to gun anyways (old habits die hard), and belatedly remember "Oh, right, now I'm switched to secondary" so I end up double-tapping F to get back to my primary.

Edited by DrakeWurrum

Just now, DrakeWurrum said:

It still exists... it's just automatic, if you happen to automatically block while in mid-air. It was rather jarring when it happened, because I wasn't expecting to glide, and totally interrupted the flow of my movements.

Trust me, I'm well aware of that. I still nurse the bruises on my Warframe and on my pride due to being unable to jump up a small gap because a lancer was shooting at me, canceling my vertical momentum.

1 minute ago, DrakeWurrum said:

Actually, with my proposed change, that would mean double-tapping F switches you to the other gun. So it's not really lost.

Maybe, yeah, but my suggestion sticks to the new setup a bit more. It's just a bit more graceful of a change IMO.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

Maybe, yeah, but my suggestion sticks to the new setup a bit more. It's just a bit more graceful of a change IMO.

It just feels like it would be easy to accidentally double-right click, when it's a key currently associated with blocking. F is a key we already specifically think of for swapping weapons. Which is why I keep stupidly pressing it to bring my gun back out when I should know better by now.

Edited by DrakeWurrum

I think we just need the option to use the old swapping system (hitting E swaps to melee, hitting F swaps to guns).