[DE]Rebecca

FYI: 1000 Friend cap is coming.

I hope that the mass delete involves typing in an inactivity threshold and deleting everyone beyond it! In six years my list has grown pretty lengthy. 

Many are mia for a long long while. 

• Upvote 1

I wonder if the data and linkages of the friends system might be more the culprit, and that less information per user should actually show up to begin with. 

I know it's a long shot, but... Maybe we get a riven cap increase once friend data isn't bogging things down? 😄

• Woah 1

You should improve the refer a friend system ..

Posted (edited)

Odd, why not just page or aggregate it.
Most use cases don't require all the data.
In this case you should be good with millions of friends.

You wouldn't mass delete me from you friend list, would you @[DE]Rebecca ? 😞

//Edit: Woah, that richt text editor is broken with Firefox here (worse than JIRA) - guess there is no markup version?

Edited by MaxiTB
  • Like 1
  • Woah 1

I have more then 100 people on the firend list. Most of them are players I carried through missions and helped them in their first days of playing. I don't think I will be reaching the 1000 cap, but I can see how people reach these numbers.

• Like 1

1. Only 1000 people to send Christmas gift to? That's heartbreaking.

2. Warframe partners and content creators losing views, because their "biggest fans" can be added to their list.

:wink:

5 hours ago, --Brandt-- said:

I have 24 last I checked, but most are either streamers or people from streams I watch that added me to trade something.

i just checked now and found that i have like 30 folks and only 16 played last 7days.. we never talks or do anything together .. we just add each other for night wave missions 

its a small issue but it'll be nice to know theres a chance it'll reduce the load on servers, it was nice being on your friendlist for so long since atleasti think what 2015? i'll always have that massive group Xmas photo at the DE Dojo you had us all! @[DE]Rebecca
A87601491D47EC37434B887F818D06459EB0BA0C

• Like 1

That means DE only need to befriend with 1000 users (probably minus all partners). So that's cute, and also being a solo player, i am not even reach the 10% of that cap so i'm safe. However, what i see that DE is really struggling to scale. There are 2 scenario here: DE is scaling up the hardware or modify the function which what i see is modifying the function. I know most of the games also have the friend cap but for warframe, can we make a difference? LOL

At least my one friend is safe. Whew! <Yells across the house> Son... you're safe! <sulks back under my bridge>

• Haha 1

1000 friends ? im happy i can count close to 10.... gimme a break, im already sweating !

• Haha 1

Let's just add everyone in the game to friends list before they make the change.

• Haha 1

How does one even make 1000 friends in WF...

Mysteries a player like me will never solve.

@[DE]Rebecca

In all seriousness, please add buyable friend slots. Base 100, plus 100 per mastery rank (so 3100 at MR30 eventually, 1000 at MR9,) and 100 plat for 100 more slots beyond that.

Many of your warframe partners are going to need something like this, because they use the friends list to support their viewer counts. You will quickly make several thousand plat in sales off each major partner this way, along with some popular whales. I think you'll find the people that need 10k+ friends on their lists are willing to pay for the perk... and that they do, in fact, need it. The purchases can then fund the overhead of supporting it. And having a lower cap at MR0 will help prevent people from trying to troll with it. Flat 1000 is a bad idea.

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Soldano29 said:

But facebook let us have 5000...

That's cos Facebook wants as much of your data as possible.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Its nice for them to apply this. Hope they also fix PING problems during co-op-ing PoE & OrbV for some people suffering that couldn't attend on events & bounties relevant to those areas.

hace 2 horas, Heartless_Spectre dijo:

Is that hint at empyreans release date ? winks 

I´m suspecting that also... I think what this is one of many adjustment needed to ease loading and latency times for squads in Railjacks and Squad Link.

On 2019-07-22 at 11:29 AM, NightmareT12 said:

Half the playerbase:

1562358348921.jpg

**looks**

**deletes friend**

Posted (edited)
On 2019-07-22 at 9:01 AM, [DE]Rebecca said:

Greetings Tenno,

This PSA only pertains to a handful of you, but as I am part of that handful I wanted to take the time to explain a coming change so that we are all on the same page:

We are applying a 1000 Friend cap to your friends list.

I’ve certainly been pushing the technical limits of this with my ‘Accept All’ mindset, and as a result I have many errors that are entirely unique to accounts in the 10,000+ Friends range. Many of your favourite games and services have capped friends lists, and we will soon follow suit.

Your Friends list is more than just account IDs - we always look up their current Alias, selected avatar, last playtime, active missions, and more. Doing this for thousands of Friends can involve hitting huge database pages, and it affects performance.

This will be coming a few weeks from now. Anyone who logs in after the change who has more than 1000 Friends will be able to keep them all, but unable to add more. We will be adding a few ‘mass delete' tools as well to help you shrink down your list.

Thanks for understanding and we will let you know when we are closer to releasing this change.

Okay, so this is something which (even though I will not be effected) I can clearly understand, both in terms of how the issue is framed, and the way in which what will be done is being described and explained. 

The problem is plainly stated, and the solution addresses it, while being very reasonable.

It has been recognized that having more “friends” than a person could reasonably have enough time in the waking hours of their life to actually meet, shake hands, and exchange names with (and still be able to remember their own name) is something that dedicated “social media” applications & servers were created to be able to handle doing, but the entirety of Warframe’s communications systems in their entirety (including all “chat boxes” put together) were never meant to be capable of managing. 

Once you take a moment to think on it, the application is being tasked with, at a minimum, continually, passively monitoring the active & inactive status (on line & doing what, or off line & for how long) of every single player account that has been added as a (friend) connection. The difference between 1,000 or less (which at most is tracking hundreds), is staggering, and sort of mind boggling (when trying to imagine keeping track of thousands).

There is something peculiarly relevant from Transmetropolitan that comes to mind...

Friends, Fans and Following are not mutually exclusive, but only the latter two can really be counted in the thousands.

JAtYail.jpg

Edited by (PS4)xxav1xl6ivax
  • Like 1