[DE]Rebecca

FYI: 1000 Friend cap is coming.

I'm wondering, will this also apply to the Ignore list ? (not that I have 1k ignored users, but some could have)

• Upvote 2

are you going to revoke our friendship? 

On 2019-07-24 at 12:04 AM, Etzu said:

I'm wondering, will this also apply to the Ignore list ? (not that I have 1k ignored users, but some could have)

It seems IRONIC, that (from the impression which I have gleaned, albeit from a primarily console oriented player base), is that there is a higher prevalence of ignoring other players among players who ... have a propensity toward inciting negative attitudes towards them.

There are “types” of players (for lack of a better word), who become involved in playing a sort of game which they invent for themselves, using the limitations and features of a communication system between players that is narrowed to the bottleneck of a chat box system for everything, to create a speed and pressure imperative to force an advantage in trading and social politics, immediately putting players on “Ignore” the moment communication seems like it may become inconvenient.

By and large, it seems that not only do players of that “type” use “ignore” much more frequently than the rest of the player base combined, they also seem to use the “ignore” function more than most of the remaining player base combined does at all.

The ignore feature, in short, is used (seemingly) much more for hostile purposes, that it is as protection against inappropriately directed or focused hostilities or behaviors committed by other players. 

The cap being leveled accordingly between friends and ignores, would probably produce an overall better outcome.

But that’s just an impression. I haven’t seen any data pertaining to what the actual demographics and ratios are.

Posted (edited)
On 2019-07-22 at 9:31 PM, [DE]Rebecca said:

We will be adding a few ‘mass delete' tools as well to help you shrink down your list.

Dang, no more copy pasting "Thanks for the trade! If you want to buy frames/weapons/primed mods or sell trash primes/sculptures/relics, feel free to add me/msg me later :)"

K3Or8nI.png

Won't be telling everyone I trade with, to add me if they want to trade more, in the future.

Going to need those mass delete tools, or I'm a goner.
Can't bring myself to delete 825 friends and won't ever be able to add more friends again 🙃

A few suggestions regarding that delete tool :
> Delete by some filter setting which can be set by us 🗄️
> Possible filters > last online duration 📅(which can be user defined or some preset durations 1 month, 6 months, 1 year, last major update)
> Possible filters > anyone who doesn't have a friend note💌
> Possible filters > MR filter 👨‍🎓👩‍🎓
>> Possible filters > total plat traded with friend 🤑
> being able to select and deselect friends marked for deletion, after the filter is applied

and most importantly,
> having the option to send a custom message (or just an auto msg) to players deleted saying bye...

...and to feel free to add back if you want to trade again in the future 😁.

Edited by IronHair
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Is it possible to have one way friend lists?
Someone else can add you, but you don't need to add them.

Edited by IronHair
question

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, IronHair said:

Dang, no more copy pasting "Thanks for the trade! If you want to buy frames/weapons/primed mods or sell trash primes/sculptures/relics, feel free to add me/msg me later :)"

K3Or8nI.png

Won't be telling everyone I trade with, to add me if they want to trade more, in the future.

Going to need those mass delete tools, or I'm a goner.
Can't bring myself to delete 825 friends and won't ever be able to add more friends again 🙃

A few suggestions regarding that delete tool :
> Delete by some filter setting which can be set by us 🗄️
> Possible filters > last online duration 📅(which can be user defined or some preset durations 1 month, 6 months, 1 year, last major update)
> Possible filters > anyone who doesn't have a friend note💌
> Possible filters > MR filter 👨‍🎓👩‍🎓
>> Possible filters > total plat traded with friend 🤑
> being able to select and deselect friends marked for deletion, after the filter is applied

and most importantly,
> having the option to send a custom message (or just an auto msg) to players deleted saying bye...

...and to feel free to add back if you want to trade again in the future 😁.

You’re bringing up some important issues there.

They address very practical implications of the measures being applied to reforming the existing system.

Usually, the most major grievances which I see expressed about the existing in-game communications system, are aimed toward “trade chat” in particular.

I should be no surprise that “trade chat” is also the part of the chat box-based primary system for all active in game communications, which has been to most prolific source of aggressive use of the “ignore” feature.

Between Consoles and PC, however, there is (or it should at least be expected that there would be) a difference in terms of the degree to which the system for communications that is built into Warframe is necessary as the main or most reliable means for communication between players.

Basically, the way gaming itself is set up, and runs on PC terminals, is as one of many necessary and requisite functions which a PC requires the maintenance of, and which users require a PC to simultaneous perform. So the establishment and simultaneous running of communications applications, concurrently with the game platform and the game itself, isn’t anything which should seem at all complicated to a PC player. 

Console players, who comprise a mass mentality which revolts at the addition of a “pointing device” to the UI of the game, following along under the most popular banner of “cursors are for mice, which are things that PC (computer) users work with, and are too sophisticated in terms of the level of technical knowledge and capabilities which console gamers possess,” are much more bound to the use of the chat box system for all communications while ‘in game.’

Now even though there are exceptions, and minorities among the player base of either type, (PC players who will not deviate from using the in-game system for communications, and Console players who will minimize its use if favor of more “robust” alternatives), the fact remains that the in-game system for communications between players already is inadequate for what is required, to be more of a benefit, and less of a constraint to all that its use has grown to provide for. 

A salient example is the use of the same system for both social and commercial functions. In commerce, especially at a retail level, my own training was of a kind which is absolutely unheard of in this day, and was centered on “circles of intimacy” in the arena of professional (business) interactions.

The first rule of (new) customer relations, (after making sure that no one is left without being greeted for any longer than 59 seconds from the moment of entry), was “in the first minute, make a friend.”

If Darvo had a much MUCH more sophisticated “AI,” (it would be deployed and in use in the existing environment of actual retail and commercial transactions and consumer UI, for starters), he would behave in that type of accord. He is a character extension of that type of basic model (in terms of a “Role” in conducting business), and It is the type of business role which he emulates, and represents as a NPC. “Hey, friend ...”

In the realm of ‘In-game’ “micro transactions,” there is no communications system that is sufficiently structured to even accommodate what is implied by the name “trade chat,” in its own right. “Trade Chat,” in contrast with ‘conducting professional/commercial business transactions,’ is something which is (arguably) meant to facilitate equitable exchange and mutual assistance within a “social environment,” and is a basic conceptual extension of what the “chat box” communication system was put in place to provide support for.

But what it is primarily being used for is sales. And the volume of communications being squeezed through the very small conduit of “trade chat,” is already long-since over-taxed to be more useful than it is discouraging (on the whole), while the primary interest in sales has rendered using “trade chat” for “trading,” all but impossible.

And trade chat is just one subdivision of a communications system which is all too poorly functioning in every other division as well.

So while it is an admirable, and rare quality to find a strong social ethic in the way a person conducts business, nothing within the system has ever been developed for supporting the needs of maintaining a business as its own type of “social institution.”

The entire “chat box” based system is, and has long been, inadequate to the fundamental social needs, which the ‘in-game’ communications system exists, most fundamentally, to directly support.

It was good enough to provide for everything which was necessary in the early days (or even years), and it may be good enough, (and even exceedingly so) for other games which utilize many similar conventions. But it is already inadequate for what Warframe has grown to require, and it should be pretty obvious (by now) that the system is fundamentally inadequate to provide for the communications demands that the Empyrean Expansion will impose in order to work at all.

So on the one hand, this is a cutting back, and culling of the ways and extents to which players and DE have augmented & expanded the use of the existing in-game communication system. But in so doing, such measures also prime that system for replacement with one which is more necessarily robust, and provides even more for creating new types of uses and interactions within the framework of for further development.

For those who have extended the parameters which define “friends” beyond the norms which would organize different types of “friends” within degrees, or strata, or “circles of intimacy,” to encompass more than 1,000 (over all), then what is required here, in order for the existing system to work without creating errors in functioning caused by being taxed beyond the limits of what it was designed to accommodate, (making it all the more difficult to replace with a better system, by any means), is an organization of types and levels of social contacts which have all become equivocated under “friends,” in a way that relational contact can be maintained by means other than by use of the ‘in game’ system, and those who are most vital to the most intimate definitions of “friends” can be maintained.

The announcement is just trying to provide for what is needed, in order for those players who have such volumes of connections being maintained as “friends,” ample time to order their affairs in a way that will not leave them put out, by an impending change which is a necessary step in the course of making things work as they will need to, for what already is, and for what is coming.

Hopefully the considerations which go into the features of the culling tool (for lack of a better term), will provide for some assistance in the reorganization of affairs which have extended to parameters of “friends” for reasons which are active and engaged in creating the types of social interactions and environments which aligned with the ideals of DE, and provide for the community and the platform by which it is identified.

 War platform awaiting sync.

Initializing synaptic overlay... Good night, sweet angel

Edited by (PS4)xxav1xl6ivax
Typo corrections.

Having read and understood your reply, I have to say that I won't be crossing my fingers for any changes to the way trade chat or in game communications work.
I did wonder if a 1 way friend list is possible, or some limited way to contact players via inbox, but 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♂️.

While I will take the time (+ hopefully DE's proposed mass deletion tools will help as well) to sort out my friend list, I don't see the players who've added me as their "trader buddy" to go out of their way to bookmark my wf.m profile or remember my name for future trades.

Either way, here's looking forward to facing new changes.

Posted (edited)
On 2019-07-22 at 12:01 PM, [DE]Rebecca said:

Greetings Tenno,

This PSA only pertains to a handful of you, but as I am part of that handful I wanted to take the time to explain a coming change so that we are all on the same page:

We are applying a 1000 Friend cap to your friends list.

I’ve certainly been pushing the technical limits of this with my ‘Accept All’ mindset, and as a result I have many errors that are entirely unique to accounts in the 10,000+ Friends range. Many of your favourite games and services have capped friends lists, and we will soon follow suit.

Your Friends list is more than just account IDs - we always look up their current Alias, selected avatar, last playtime, active missions, and more. Doing this for thousands of Friends can involve hitting huge database pages, and it affects performance.

This will be coming a few weeks from now. Anyone who logs in after the change who has more than 1000 Friends will be able to keep them all, but unable to add more. We will be adding a few ‘mass delete' tools as well to help you shrink down your list.

Thanks for understanding and we will let you know when we are closer to releasing this change.

But.. but...  WAAAAAAHHHH!:scared:
-ahem-
In all seriousness I'm lucky If I only have over a dozen friends listed at any one time on any game.  It sucks though for those who want the mega-lists of contacts, but until the quantum computing goes past theoretical into "common usage", physical limitations are what they are.  I guess I'll just have to satisfy myself with occasionally teaming up with the DE crew in random pugs.
Catch you in the Origin-system later Spacemom... and remember; "Deth Fairy Airbourne; Sting Like a butterfly!":wink:

Edited by Shemarria

On 2019-07-22 at 12:29 PM, NightmareT12 said:

Half the playerbase:

1562358348921.jpg

That made me laugh way more than it should've.

• Satisfied 1

Thank god I am deleting friends, who haven't been online for longer then 1000 days.

Unless they bear the rank of "Founder", "Moderator", "GotL".

I think this was the test, [DE]Glen did around that time ("Hey you, add me to your friends list"), where the server just said seconds later: "I need a holiday"?

On 2019-07-23 at 4:48 AM, Variks_Prime said:

@[DE]Rebecca

In all seriousness, please add buyable friend slots. Base 100, plus 100 per mastery rank (so 3100 at MR30 eventually, 1000 at MR9,) and 100 plat for 100 more slots beyond that.

Many of your warframe partners are going to need something like this, because they use the friends list to support their viewer counts. You will quickly make several thousand plat in sales off each major partner this way, along with some popular whales. I think you'll find the people that need 10k+ friends on their lists are willing to pay for the perk... and that they do, in fact, need it. The purchases can then fund the overhead of supporting it. And having a lower cap at MR0 will help prevent people from trying to troll with it. Flat 1000 is a bad idea.

Absolutely this.
For example, Cohhcarnage uses his ingame friends list to randomize which community members he'll be playing with, and as such he accepts any and all friend requests - and I recall him specifically praising Warframe for having no cap on them
Perhaps making friend slots purchaseable would help ameliorate this issue?
Or you could specifically uncap the lists of Warframe partners and warlords of full moon clans

58 minutes ago, DaraSilverDragon said:

Absolutely this.
For example, Cohhcarnage uses his ingame friends list to randomize which community members he'll be playing with, and as such he accepts any and all friend requests - and I recall him specifically praising Warframe for having no cap on them
Perhaps making friend slots purchaseable would help ameliorate this issue?
Or you could specifically uncap the lists of Warframe partners and warlords of full moon clans

Or just make it a setting. If I understand it correctly, this came out of performance issues. If anyone wants to accept the performance hit, they should be able to. Just have them warned any issues could be replied with "you need to lower your friends list".

Posted (edited)

Hello everyone.

How are you?

DE said on the last Devstream that there is going to be a friendlist cap of 1,000?

Did i hear that right?

Why they wanna do that, if i may ask?

And what will happen to the people who have already more than this cap?

Will they remove people from our friendlist just because?

And if so, based on what criteria they are going to remove people from the friendlists?

And in general, why there should be a cap in the friendlist?

Why do they care if i have 5 friends or 5,000 friends?

Thanks for any info on this!

Edited by No1Eye
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

The reasoning was already posted in the Announcements section weeks before the Devstream:

EDIT: Welp.

Edited by FrostPrime

Posted (edited)

I do not really agree with this change @[DE]Rebecca, this cap is not needed.

But if you have to go through this whole change, take some more time to make the Friendlist UI a bit more improved as well, a bit more Friendly, if you will.

For example, there is no visibility of the people who have sent you a request, among all the pending ones you have.

We have to search through that list ourselves, making this very time consuming.

P.S.: I have over 3,000 friends, and i bet there is people who have even more.

Capping the friendlists is not a good thing to do.

The game has already some capping, do not add a cap on the friendlist too, just coz other games have it as well.

Why there should be a problem if someone has 5 friends or 5,000 friends?

This is a personal preference, i wanna have a lot of friends to be having options to play with different people, and others wanna have a few, or none.

Edited by No1Eye

Posted (edited)
vor 1 Stunde schrieb (XB1)GearsMatrix301:

Who has more than 1000 friends anyways?

We peasants won't ever know.. only the famous people can live that life.

Edited by (XB1)GaussPrime
  • Like 1
  • Applause 2

There's no way you engage with all of your 1000 friends, your complaint is just absurd tbh.

10 minutes ago, ZarTham said:

There's no way you engage with all of your 1000 friends, your complaint is just absurd tbh.

In this day and age of social media fluff it is obviously a fake account if there isn't a huge pile of friends 😄

1 minute ago, Leyvonne said:

In this day and age of social media fluff it is obviously a fake account if there isn't a huge pile of friends 😄

lololol 😂