Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Newb Question: Gun Balance/scaling?

Aurelio23

Question

Hi there,

I only started playing this game (in earnest) today, but whenever I start playing a new MMORPG (or whatever you'd call Warframe), I like to read up on everything that I can about it before I invest a lot of time into a class/weapon/whatever that won't work well later on in the game.  So I just wanted to ask a really obvious question: are there any guns in this game that just... aren't worth all of the time and effort it takes to make them?  Or have the developers managed to balance them in such a way that none are objectively better, but suit different playstyles/preferences?  

I ask because I'm wondering about what to buy next; after reading Xylia's guide, I bought a Braton, which should work well for a while.  I've been thinking about the Aklato, but again, I like to make moves cautiously in games like this.  Thanks for your time, and it's good to be here.

6 answers to this question

Fundamentally, you need to understand that advancement in this game occurs in multiple ways. First, your equipped gear (including frame) can advance up to level thirty, each level of which gives you a point to use for equipping mods (and it can also have certain items applied to increase its effectiveness), second leveling said gear to thirty grants you mastery. Which is the number in the top left when you log in to the game. Certain equipment requires having a specific mastery. What this means in plain terms, is that you want to make, and level gear. Even bad gear. Further, this gives you the opportunity to test out the gear while leveling it to see if you want to invest in making it better.

Honestly, I'd be more concerned with making things that are cost effective at least early on, than with power. That said, later in the game you'll want the Acrid and a Flux Rifle.

Fundamentally, you need to understand that advancement in this game occurs in multiple ways. First, your equipped gear (including frame) can advance up to level thirty, each level of which gives you a point to use for equipping mods (and it can also have certain items applied to increase its effectiveness), second leveling said gear to thirty grants you mastery. Which is the number in the top left when you log in to the game. Certain equipment requires having a specific mastery. What this means in plain terms, is that you want to make, and level gear. Even bad gear. Further, this gives you the opportunity to test out the gear while leveling it to see if you want to invest in making it better.

Honestly, I'd be more concerned with making things that are cost effective at least early on, than with power. That said, later in the game you'll want the Acrid and a Flux Rifle.

I understand all of that, but seeing as how it seems like it'll take a good number of hours to max out anything, I'd prefer to invest my early credits in something that'll work well as I farm for better stuff.

I understand all of that, but seeing as how it seems like it'll take a good number of hours to max out anything, I'd prefer to invest my early credits in something that'll work well as I farm for better stuff.

There's an incredible lack of variety of starting weapons (i.e. those that can be bought directly with credits). Your best shot would be rank up your Mk1 Braton/Lato/Skana and then upgrade to Braton/Aklato/Cronus when those weapons hit Rank 30. In the mean time, save up credits to buy blueprints of better weapons or the Strun, if you're having a hard time finding resources.