Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The current catch up mechanic is too restrictive

zoobmer

Needing to complete all current challenges to recover a random challenge is so restrictive, the catch up mechanic might as well not exist. Every single challenge the player does should automatically recover a previous challenge no matter what, as long as challenges to recover exist. Completing a weekly should automatically recover a weekly, completing an elite weekly should recover an elite weekly, and completing a daily should recover a daily. If a challenge from the appropriate category does not exist, they should recover challenges from other categorizes. Completing a weekly should recover an elite weekly if regular weeklies do not exist. Similarly, completing an elite weekly should recover a regular weekly if elite weeklies do not exist. Lastly, if there are no weeklies nor elite weeklies to recover, completing any challenge should recover a daily. As a bonus, it would be nice to have an endless supply of procedurally generated dailies to  recover if there are absolutely no existing challenges that can be recovered.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, zoobmer said:

Completing a weekly should automatically recover a weekly, completing an elite weekly should recover an elite weekly, and completing a daily should recover a daily.

What I thought vs. what I got experience right here.

36 minutes ago, zoobmer said:

Completing a weekly should automatically recover a weekly, completing an elite weekly should recover an elite weekly, and completing a daily should recover a daily.

I do agree that the catch up system is lacking, but this a bit too much. Something like finishing all the "regular" weeklies should recover 2 unfinished ones and completing elite should recover one elite. The current system only offers catch up mechanics to those who are able to do everything while those who actually need it more get nothing. I even mentioned this in the post DE made about Nightwave changes and the new catch up system.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, (XB1)Shodian said:

It's only flawed to those who don't want to put any time or effort into it. 

Hey, it worked that way for the past 5 freakin' years, so expecting no retaliation against a mode that goes completely the opposite way is plain silly.

• Like 2

Just now, Gabbynaru said:

Hey, it worked that way for the past 5 freakin' years, so expecting no retaliation against a mode that goes completely the opposite way is plain silly.

It didn't work, that's why they changed it. If it was fine they would have left it alone. Thanks to night wave I was able to get caught up on things I needed plus earn cool rewards along the way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, (XB1)Shodian said:

It didn't work, that's why they changed it. If it was fine they would have left it alone. Thanks to night wave I was able to get caught up on things I needed plus earn cool rewards along the way.

What didn't work, the game or Nightwave? Cause if you're refering to the game, then good joke, but nothing bar this terrible system changed, everything else is a breeze (as it should be). If you're talking about Nightwave, of course it didn't work. It's a half-as*ed attempt to board the battle pass gravy train, except they didn't take the time to mask the insidiousness that's the battle pass, and all we were left with was all the bad things from that system and nothing even remotely good.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gabbynaru said:

What didn't work, the game or Nightwave? Cause if you're refering to the game, then good joke, but nothing bar this terrible system changed, everything else is a breeze (as it should be). If you're talking about Nightwave, of course it didn't work. It's a half-as*ed attempt to board the battle pass gravy train, except they didn't take the time to mask the insidiousness that's the battle pass, and all we were left with was all the bad things from that system and nothing even remotely good.

No alerts didn't work, or not as well, so they changed it into Nightwave. It has worked super well for me. I actually get a lot more out of this than I ever got out of alerts.

Only people don't like it is because now they have to play the game more to get rewards. 

• Like 2

I'm seeing a lot of nah Sayers based on it being "lazy", sounds like a moron-ish defense if one took the time to read and understand what was initially said.

It appears that OP is simply stating that if you were to get hammered with work school or whatever that may keep you from playing. that prior week's mission tasks can be completed by
finishing the current weeks.

as in. you have this weeks goals but could not complete last weeks or a week prior. instead of just not getting those points, you could create a backlog and knock it out once you've managed to find the time.

doesn't appear to be lazy at all, just a quality of life matter at this point.

Granted OP's paragraph of text could use better structure, it just seems a lot of debate back and forth is involving lazy readers that didn't take the time to read and understand intentions.

:edit: My personal stance on the matter would be to welcome this improvement but only as a side effort, as not to detract from DE actually working on current projects or
bug fixes (which there are still tons of)

Edited by MakeLuvNotWerFrame

5 minutes ago, (XB1)Shodian said:

No alerts didn't work, or not as well, so they changed it into Nightwave. It has worked super well for me. I actually get a lot more out of this than I ever got out of alerts.

Only people don't like it is because now they have to play the game more to get rewards. 

Yup, but you're not the entire community., and about half of it says Nightwave has issues. We can reach a consensus to get Nightwave to become better,  or we can keep bickering like schoolgirls and hope DE can see through our mess.

Also, you do realize it's not a matter of playing the game more, but rather of playing the game more in a boring way, right? That's where all these complaints stem from, Nightwave has some really boring/tedious/annoying challenges. If DE fixes that, no one will complain. Cause people wanna play the game, they just don't wanna get bored doing so. If they didn't wanna play the game, then they'd be doing something else.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, (XB1)Shodian said:

You have numbers to back that up?

I don't. Do you have yours that say Nightwave has no issues?

We're on equal ground here, pulling stuff out of our as*es and making assumptions. My "numbers" come from the fact that I see daily threads complaining about Nightwave. Simple as that.

• Like 4

Just now, Gabbynaru said:

I don't. Do you have yours that say Nightwave has no issues?

We're on equal ground here, pulling stuff out of our as*es and making assumptions. My "numbers" come from the fact that I see daily threads complaining about Nightwave. Simple as that.

The people complaining are the problem though, Nightwave was completely fair and they shouldn't of caved and added a catch up to begin with. The ones complaining just don't want to work and have everything handed to them on a primed platter at this point just for participation. It is far better then the alert system ever was and has little to no RNG involved or having  to set alarms just to get that one aura or frame part. People just overreacted and caused change to nightwave that was never needed to begin with aside from a few special cases...  

Alright, there's so much to digest in such a short post, but, here we go:

4 minutes ago, (XB1)Zweimander said:

The people complaining are the problem though, Nightwave was completely fair and they shouldn't of caved and added a catch up to begin with.

First of all, no. Not everyone has your schedule, and including a quality of life feature for those with tight schedule cannot be described as anything but a positive. You may not need it, but that doesn't mean someone else won't. So please put your elitism aside and view this from their perspective as well.

5 minutes ago, (XB1)Zweimander said:

The ones complaining just don't want to work and have everything handed to them on a primed platter

As I said before, that's how the game worked for the past 5 years. You did a mission, you got a reward. DE seeded these expectations into people, and expecting them not to fight back when a system that asks them to work for (comparatively) no rewards appears is silly.

And yes, there will be some expecting rewards just for participation, but I highly doubt they're anything but a very, very small minority.

8 minutes ago, (XB1)Zweimander said:

It is far better then the alert system ever was and has little to no RNG involved or having  to set alarms just to get that one aura or frame part.

So, now you complain about conflicting schedules, yet you are against the catch-up mechanic in Nightwave. Hypocrisy much?

Also, far better is way overblowing it. They both had their upsides and downsides, and as far as most people are concerned, they are on equal footing, so much so that people could easily see them work at the same time in the game, since neither intrudes on the other's territory.

10 minutes ago, (XB1)Zweimander said:

People just overreacted and caused change to nightwave that was never needed to begin with aside from a few special cases...

If there was no need for change, then those special cases wouldn't exist either. Nightwave needed changing, nightwave still needs changing, until it pleases a great majority of the community. As it stands, it is still a highly controversial feature of the game, and you cannot, in good conscience say that it is in a satisfactory state as it currently stands.

What works for you may not work for someone else. If you can't let your own ideals aside and look at this from multiple sides, then you're not helping the conversation.

DE should unironically copy Fortnite, where challenges never expire until the end of the season. They just keep adding up; so the only thing keeping you from finishing them all are your own personal issues. 

The last time I played Fortnite, there was only about three weeks left in its season but I had all the challenges available to me so I was able to grind them out with little issue. 

Edited by (XB1)Erudite Prime

8 minutes ago, Gabbynaru said:

What works for you may not work for someone else. If you can't let your own ideals aside and look at this from multiple sides, then you're not helping the conver

The same thing can be said of you're opinion as well. I find nothing wring with Nightwave. If anything it helped boost how much I play.

• Like 1