Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe is successful enough to have dedicated servers

I'm not going to say much, everyone thinks like this.

Host migration is disgusting, having to endure another player's bad connection is disgusting and the fact that Digital Extremes is making hundreds of millions per year gives no excuse to not having dedicated servers.

This is even more important with the squad link, imagine that same Tennocon gameplay but with disconnections and host migrations.

I would be disappointed if Digital Extremes launches Empyrean without dedicated servers. The nightmare of having a consistent gameplay getting cut off by a crappy networking system.

Come on Digital Extremes, you're even upgrading your engine and spending millions on TennoCon, we all know this should be your next jump.

Edited by (XB1)DavidRyder 74
  • Like 8

Dedicated servers sound nice, I don't know if it ever happens though... DE is well aware of the problem, and I'm sure they know ending host migrations would help player retention. The question is, would it increase their profit enough to pay for the expenses? I have no idea, but I'm afraid the answer is no.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, (XB1)DavidRyder 74 said:

Host migration is disgusting, having to endure another player's bad connection is disgusting and the fact that Digital Extremes is making hundreds of millions per year gives no excuse to not having dedicated servers.

This is even more important with the squad link, imagine that same Tennocon gameplay but with disconnections and host migrations.

I would be disappointed if Digital Extremes launches Empyrean without dedicated servers. The nightmare of having a consistent gameplay getting cut off by a crappy networking system.

Come on Digital Extremes, you're even upgrading your engine and spending millions on TennoCon, we all know this should be your next jump.

You underestimate how much work would go into dedicated servers. 

For one, DE would need to make sure the netcode is up to par, and that is not an easy undertaking. Add in DE's spaghetti code? Can you guarantee that nothing would break? 

Do you not want content for a long time? This is how you don't get content for a long time. People already went mad when they took time to listen to the community begging for reworks to primary and secondaries. If you can be confident enough to put your name out when they do this, and there's a content drought complaint, then go for it. 

Edited by sleepychewbacca

I'm curious, how did you manage to get a hold of the financial information of Digital Extremes? Cause that would be the only way to convince yourself that DE is profitable enough to have dedicated servers for a playerbase of 30+ million people across multiple consoles without putting themselves at risk, correct? So please, if you may, do let me know how much money they make from rivens. I'm really curious.

• Like 12

16 minutes ago, Shinobu_Scorpion said:

Can we seriously stop using these "I speak for everyone" statements as valid arguments. Because you will rarely, if ever, be in a situation here where that is true.

I so wish we could.

I am not going to speak for anyone but me: I truly despise these "I speak for the whole community" clowns.

33 minutes ago, (XB1)DavidRyder 74 said:

the fact that Digital Extremes is making hundreds of millions per year gives no excuse to not having dedicated servers

Please share with us the detailed analysis of DE revenue and of server cost projections that you are obviously using. I missed the memo.

2 minutes ago, Gabbynaru said:

I'm curious, how did you manage to get a hold of the financial information of Digital Extremes? Cause that would be the only way to convince yourself that DE is profitable enough to have dedicated servers for a playerbase of 30+ million people across multiple consoles without putting themselves at risk, correct? So please, if you may, do let me know how much money they make from rivens. I'm really curious.

OP is smarter than all of us. 

OP knows the mysteries of DE. [DE]lays, nerfs, profits and future updates have all been foreseen. They should fire everyone at DE and hire OP instead. 

So so wise. Greatest developer 10/10. 

• Like 3

I'm playing from Germany with almost no issues, so maybe my experience has been different, but... does anyone ever stop for a minute to appreciate how robust the Warframe network is, all things considered? I'm still blown away that the game even has a host migration system that works the vast majority of the time, retaining the complete mission status for all players, or that hotfixes are deployed while thousands of players are in-game, with no down-time, to name just a couple of examples. The way they can achieve that is exactly by NOT having to co-ordinate and maintain a multitude of servers across the globe.

I applaud DE for their current network setup. As far as technical issues go, it's definitely the better of two evils. I'd much rather see them invest in improving and expanding the game content instead of overhauling an already working system.

Edited by Grimpins
  • Like 3

vor 16 Minuten schrieb sleepychewbacca:

You underestimate how much work would go into dedicated servers. 

For one, DE would need to make sure the netcode is up to par, and that is not an easy undertaking. Add in DE's spaghetti code? Can you guarantee that nothing would break? 

Do you not want content for a long time? This is how you don't get content for a long time. People already went mad when they took time to listen to the community begging for reworks to primary and secondaries. If you can be confident enough to put your name out when they do this, and there's a content drought complaint, then go for it. 

The people working on networking and servers aren't even the ones that make the content. And DE has to spend lots of time on fixing host migration issues for old and new content so if anything they probably would save time in the long run.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, German said:

The people working on networking and servers aren't even the ones that make the content. And DE has to spend lots of time on fixing host migration issues for old and new content so if anything they probably would save time in the long run.

We're projecting things that we don't know. 

Similarly, during the time it took to rework Primaries and Secondaries, there was no content update. QoL stuff yes, but no content, no new weapons, no factions to grind. 

Surely the entire studio couldn't have been on it? From past incidences however, we use that track pattern. A major change like this would more than anything mean all hands on deck. 

Which means, no content. It's a gamble that will not end well. 

1 minute ago, Birkenhoff said:

I finally meet someone who likes host migrations, lags and doors that won't open. 

Dedicated servers won't make lag disappear. It would make it worse for some. Doors are due to lag, so that goes along with it.

Dedicated servers aren't a guaranteed fix, but they are a guaranteed expense.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, (XB1)DavidRyder 74 said:

“No Excuse”?  😆  ok, backseat GM.

Stop talking out Clem’s Bum.  Without having access to their Operational Costs and being privy to the numbers, you know nothing John Snow.

i understand your frustration, but your emotionally charged conclusion is baseless.

• Like 2

Good heavens, no!

In all seriousness though, there's another game, run by a small company, (I think it has less employees than DE) called Neverwinter, it's owned by Cryptic. They have their own servers, and even though they're based in the U.S my game still lags like hell, whenever more than 10 people are in the same server as me. The game is actually unplayable, unless you play early in the morning, when no one else is on. And I'm only a few hundred miles away from their superserver.

Edited by (PS4)The1stAzrael
typo
  • Like 4

Just do what I do: Put ping limit to 100, so 90% of the time you're host. There's the odd time it will put you in to another's game, but in most cases, they'll have good internet and very rarely will it put you with a bad host. It can happen, but so far in the years I've done this, it's rare!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CaptainMeowth said:

Everyone minus me then.

And me

Oh look this dead horse again. It ain't gonna happen get over it. And while you're getting over it remember that dedicated servers arent infallible either. And tell me what DE is gonna do to make up the expense.

1 hour ago, Shinobu_Scorpion said:

No no, I'm of the same mind as you.

Can we seriously stop using these "I speak for everyone" statements as valid arguments. Because you will rarely, if ever, be in a situation here where that is true.

I wish this forum had a Kickbot and "I speak for everyone" type comments would just get auto kicked.

• Like 1

Digital Extremes is making hundreds of millions per year

How did you come to this figure or are you just being hyperbolic ?

Also i agree to FashionFrame just set your ping to 50-100ms and you're golden, if you still get them then i can only say that you're the one with bad internet

2 hours ago, (XB1)DavidRyder 74 said:

Not just that, there is the problem with NAT-Strict from people connection that even port forward won`t solve because of this Peer 2 Peer model, only solution is with a VPN. Located Servers would be great. Dauntless has less players probably and had local servers even for South America since open beta started..

Edited by MPonder