Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dev Workshop - Revisiting Augments

SilverBones

I love that you're doing this, thank you.

Some thoughts on my favorite frame I hope you keep in mind:

Nyx's 4 is still poor for damage, energy economy, and the fast paced nature of the game. So if we use it, we run the augment, which completely repurposes the ability and yet still makes a tanking ability that is incredibly slow.

I don't mind if you keep augmented Absorb the way it is, it would preserve some playstyles (mainly looking at heavy blade Nyx) and gives her another benefit in boss fights alongside her armor strip and aggro dispersion. But the unaugmented version needs a complete overhaul.

A bit of an idea: What if equipping an augment raise that ability by 1 rank. Which means ability can reach rank 4 by equipping their respective augments. I think it's a fair buff considering most augment act as alternate/additional effect but rarely buff the abilities's stats itself. This way augments can look more compelling to equip over abilities stats mods.

1 hour ago, Morisabeau said:

We've waited for oh, so long. ;w;

edit: Duality augment for Equinox, as I think, needs some attention too, because it is basically the same as Wukong's 1st entire ability now.

I think Duality is fine.  I think Equinox needs some changes to her 3 and 4 augments.

1 hour ago, DeMonkey said:

This would reduce build variety as far as I'm concerned. Mod space is far and away more limited on my staff than on my frame.

In point of fact, this would be a nerf. I'll have to remove a mod that I desperately need on my staff in order to use Primal Rage, and in return I get a slot back on my frame that absolutely cannot make up for the loss of the melee mod.

What if, instead of taking up a normal mod slot on the Exalted Weapon, the Augment goes in the Stance slot since the stance slots on Exalted Weapons are currently useless?

1 hour ago, [DE]Bear said:

Piercing Roar - Roar Augment - Rhino

• Allow Roar to be recast when equipped

That's a joke, right?

Rhino already has an augment that's used solely because it allows an ability, that really damn should be recastable on its own, to be recast.

This will end up being exactly the same, and no one wants that.

7 minutes ago, Joltyboi said:

can you guys PLEASE get rid of the "conclave only" restriction to augments you can get from teshin, and make it so you can get those augments elsewhere? ide love to use atlases rumblers augment that makes it so you actually become the rumbler, but i cant because even if conclave was a good game mode, i wouldnt be able to use it outside of conclave, that seems really stupid to me, having conclave only augments, cause some of them seem really fun to use in normal missions and might even end up being extremely useful

Logged in solely to post the same. While we're revisiting augments, please please please let us become big Rumbled stone men outside of PvP. I don't care if it'd be useful or not, I just want to hulk out and toss some rocks on puny Grineer. Doesn't need to be all Conclave augments, seeing as some of them only work logically against other players. Also, Thundermiter. Explosive sawblades.

Explosive. Sawblades.

These augment buffs are nice and all but I don't think it's enough to justify a mod slot. A lot of these augments are just band aids and should be part of the ability at base. If not then at least give us a dedicated mod slot or let us use augments in the Exilus slot

Hysterical Assault - Hysteria Augment - Valkyr

• Let invulnerability linger for half a second when aiming to prevent getting downed immediately in high-damage areas 
  • Increased Range

I haven't touched Valkyr ever since the melee rework since now if I aim glide or aim in I lose my invincibility and get killed. Maybe instead of an augment that only gives us half a second you can actually address the problems that the melee rework brought for some Warframes and just in general because as of right now the whole melee feedback thread seems to have been ignored.

These are great!  While you're at it, can you take a look at the passive and augments for shield weapons?   Ever since Melee 2.9 they haven't worked correctly.  It messed with the shield passives and mods that require blocking to absorb/redirect damage/taunt.  

Guardian Derision, Electromagnetic Shielding, Avenging Truth, and the  innate passives on all the shields are all affected.  Either we need some sore of manual block  when using a shield weapon, or switch it to channeling or rework how the things function.  SOMETHING.

This is made especially awkward with the new Javlok augment that redirects damage when you have a shield weapon....  but pretty requires you to be blocking and channeling and the auto block just doesn't do it right.  Guardian Derision isn't exactly specifically a shield mod, but it synergized wth them.  Had really fun builds with Trinity and Baruuk and other tank frames with it that just don't work now.

3 minutes ago, Sannidor said:

No Vauban on the list, this hints to major frame rework. Nice.

They've been pretty clear that my main man is getting a serious rework soon.  Hopefully they don't change him TOO much. 

I know a lot of people make suggestions for basically entirely new kits for him, and are all about giving him exaulted turrets, but thats turning him into a whole new character.  I think just tweaking some numbers and costs will go a long way for most of his already existing moves.  Range, duration, damage done, etc.   Wisp sets a really good precedent for how long term mines should work, and Wukong and Nezha set a precedent for keeping an old moveset mostly intact and giving it new effectiveness and synergy and making it work..

Rising Storm - Blade Storm Augment - Ash

• Attacks by clones will raise the combo counter 
  • Include a passive benefit to extend the combo counter by a duration.

What exactly is being changed here?

If this means removing the innate increase of the combo counter via attacks made by the clones, then it's already a major overhaul of the ability.

3 hours ago, [DE]Bear said:

As we re-look at systems within the game, there is one aspect that we haven’t touched in a while, and those are the Augments. As new Augments and new gameplay systems make their way into the game, the older Augments need some attention, and so the team has been assessing what we have and how they can possibly change.

I'm thrilled to see this.

That said, before you get too deep into this process, please have whoever's in charge have a sit-down and decide what the role, the purpose of augments is.

Are they intended to serve as upgrades to abilities? Bandaids? (Plz no.) - i.e. 'why would you ever not use the augment if you use ability X?' Irradiating Disarm serves as a 'good' example for the former, Piercing Roar as a 'bad one' (can't blame the aug for Punct proc effect sucking), Iron Shrapnel or Larva Burst as well as Neutron Star for the latter.
Are they intended to promote alternate or niche playstyles? - i.e. Not a no-brainer, but has its place. Chromatic Blade is a (kind of bad) example.
Are they intended to create or promote new synergies within the frame, the loadout, or the squad? (Best example I can come up with off the top of my head here is the '1 -> elemental buff' augments, and I don't love it as an example.) On reflection, Molecular Fission is a better one.
Are they intended to change the aesthetic of an ability (via mechanic change)? - e.g. Absorb -> Assimilate, Sound Quake -> Resonating Quake, or Artemis Bow -> Concentrated Arrow.
Something else?

This would also really help direct the conversation, as we'd know what we're calibrating for.

As is stands, some augments are straight upgrades in the form of MOAR STATS! (such as Primal Fury or Piercing Navigator), some are straight upgrades in the form of added capabilities (such as Seeking Shuriken or Pilfering X), and a few are mechanics changes (see: Absorb <-> Assimilate).

These are not equally attractive, even ignoring not all abilities being equal.
And with mod slots at a premium, as things stand, many augments are basically never worth a slot, even for niche builds.

2 hours ago, [DE]Bear said:

Augments need some attention

Yes! The outdated UI needs an Augment Slot... for people to consider seriously using most Augments.

After that is implemented, then it is safe to talk about changes to those mods themselves. 🙂

1 hour ago, OmegaVitae said:

any internal talk on making Energy Transfer innate and applying the transferable charge effect to Equinox's 3 as well?

This would be some lovely QoL as Energy Transfer is my most used augment, albeit her biggest bandaid. Peaceful Provocation just makes me sad, and Wukong's Celestial Twin is what Duality "could have been".

Would be nice to have the ability to mod Night and Day separately, in the very least.

Imo, the only thing Equinox really needs is QoL in the fluidity department. There are other frames that are worse off and are more deserving of reworks or adjustments, so patiently waiting.

Also please give dedicated augment slot, we'll love you forever. 😍

Hey @[DE]Bear nice to see - some of these changes look very promising!

As a Sandboi main, can I suggest Inaros' Augments here? I remember there was talk about him being a "selfish" frame, which birthed some rework to his Augment, but I have ideas, man!

TL;DR: 3 suggestions for better Scarab Swarm Augments, 2 suggestions for better Sandstorm Augments - read bold only and you'll get it.

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Negation_Swarm

I feel like this whole Augment should just be included in Inaros' 4th ability. Comparison - recent Wukong rework makes him just as tanky, with a free super powerful clone and the ability to move fast and undetected, heal and shed all Status effects at the press of a button (2). Meanwhile old sand boy needs a whole Augment just to be able to resist Status effects.

Negation Swarm is very much an essential mod (not an Augment), in my opinion. So I would merge it with his 4th ability and make a different Augment for his 4th, for example:

Inaros automatically trades % of his Scarab Armor to heal nearby injured allies.  - Basically allow Inaros to become a walking med kit in exchange for some percentage of his Scarab Armor (which he can then replenish by trading in his health, then seek ways to replenish that, thus tweaking/completing the Inaros health-gameplay loop).

Upon death, enemies trapped by Scarab Swarm release healing swarms that seek out Inaros and his allies (over great distance). - Scarab Swarm is great in that it turns enemies into health dispensers. The problem is that most people just go in and kill the trapped enemies, whose "health/second" effect is therefore wasted. Allies that could actually use it are usually too far or miss the health pulse. This Augment would guarantee a small bit of health return to everyone, thus making the ability more team-friendly.

Upon death, enemies trapped by Scarab Swarm have % chance to drop an Energy ball. - Again, some way to make Inaros into more of a team player and give some purpose to the senseless killing of the swarmed enemies who are just trying to have a sand party.

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Elemental_Sandstorm

The Sandstorm ability in itself is not the greatest and should probably be considered for a rework (anything that pushes enemies away from a tank is a bit counter-productive), but this Augment specifically feels so weak. Adding a 50% chance for a Status effect is hardly an Augment-worthy thing, since we have multiple ways to apply Status effects to anything with weapons, much more quickly and reliably than with an Augment to an already clunky ability.

Anything that makes it more like Wukong's Cloud Walker ability. - very fast / undetected / opens nearby enemies to finishers / heals / removes Status effects - any of those are great, especially the speed. This Augment would turn Sandstorm into more of a tactical / team player ability. Or even Stealth (we all know that Cloud Walker Wukong is the king of Jupiter Spy missions now).

Sandstorm dispenses energy/s allies within range while taking health/second from Inaros. If Scarab Armor is active, allies also receive armor/second. - This would be another nice loop, allowing Inaros to do a little more than just stun enemies and dispense health. Also a nice way to tie his 3rd ability to his 4th for that added armor bonus. Synergy. Beautiful sandy synergy.

Archived