Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hunting sawgaws is like eating razorblades made of hate

khadharphak

So, as you can guess, I've recently gotten into floof hunting. It was going great on Plains and even in the Vallis with pobbers and virmink. Then I got my sawgaw echo lure and my adventures in the Vallis become a neverending nightmare of shrieking failure and frustration.

These things NEED to be changed. I've tried to hunt about 20 of these things so far, and I've captured about 8. Okay, so first of all, these birds are buggy as hell. I've had at least two trail starts bug out, the first time when I activated the droppings, it didn't spawn any tracks or a location to head to. The second time I couldn't even activate the droppings. Then of course there's the face that when you do manage to summon a sawgaw, there's a 50/50 chance that when it lands on a mushroom, it'll bug out and regardless where you shoot the bird, the dart will not register, so you have to wait for it to take off an land somewhere else. I don't know if this is also a bug, but every time I track a sawgaw, these things will NOT hold still for even a moment. They land, and barely even a second later, they take off again, so I can't even line up a shot, and even when I can, they do this weird jolt to the side that causes my dart to miss. They're too fast to hit in the air, so all I can do is pray I can land a hit the moment they land, but they move it such a jittery, unpredictable manner even that's a massive gamble. Then there's the fact they only land on mushrooms, so you need to either archwing up, which will likely cause you to fly right into the bird's view and spook it, or you'll spend too muych time looking for a vantage point on a nearby ridge that they think you've left and just fly away into the sunset. I even tried to tage one with Ivara's sleep arrow first to get the little bugger to stay still, and I indeed hit him, only for him to clip into the mushroom and be untargetable.

Basically, sawgaws suck immensely and have turned an enjoyable time floof hunting into an aggravating game of "how will it bug this time?" Sawgaw behaviour needs to be overhauled, make them less skittish, make them land for longer periods of time, a good 5 or so seconds, make them a bit more patient so you can find a good angle, and of course, fix the multitudinous bugs surrounding them. Please.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, khadharphak said:

So, as you can guess, I've recently gotten into floof hunting. It was going great on Plains and even in the Vallis with pobbers and virmink. Then I got my sawgaw echo lure and my adventures in the Vallis become a neverending nightmare of shrieking failure and frustration.

These things NEED to be changed. I've tried to hunt about 20 of these things so far, and I've captured about 8. Okay, so first of all, these birds are buggy as hell. I've had at least two trail starts bug out, the first time when I activated the droppings, it didn't spawn any tracks or a location to head to. The second time I couldn't even activate the droppings. Then of course there's the face that when you do manage to summon a sawgaw, there's a 50/50 chance that when it lands on a mushroom, it'll bug out and regardless where you shoot the bird, the dart will not register, so you have to wait for it to take off an land somewhere else. I don't know if this is also a bug, but every time I track a sawgaw, these things will NOT hold still for even a moment. They land, and barely even a second later, they take off again, so I can't even line up a shot, and even when I can, they do this weird jolt to the side that causes my dart to miss. They're too fast to hit in the air, so all I can do is pray I can land a hit the moment they land, but they move it such a jittery, unpredictable manner even that's a massive gamble. Then there's the fact they only land on mushrooms, so you need to either archwing up, which will likely cause you to fly right into the bird's view and spook it, or you'll spend too muych time looking for a vantage point on a nearby ridge that they think you've left and just fly away into the sunset. I even tried to tage one with Ivara's sleep arrow first to get the little bugger to stay still, and I indeed hit him, only for him to clip into the mushroom and be untargetable.

Basically, sawgaws suck immensely and have turned an enjoyable time floof hunting into an aggravating game of "how will it bug this time?" Sawgaw behaviour needs to be overhauled, make them less skittish, make them land for longer periods of time, a good 5 or so seconds, make them a bit more patient so you can find a good angle, and of course, fix the multitudinous bugs surrounding them. Please.

Feedback would also be a good place to post this again, so that more Devs see it: https://forums.warframe.com/forum/21-general/. Or at least the devs responsible for that bit of work. 

What I do though, is take a long duration loki, with max radar, and jump to the highest point, which is usually on top of a mushroom. Cast my 2, and pray that it works. Usually does, but I don't go hunting for Sawgaws much, so I can't claim to be a good source of how-do-its. 

My issue with Sawgaw hunting is the inherent flaw of having them land on curved rooftops in the first place. If they land on the backside of a mushroom, congrats, your shot is completely blocked and you have to bullet jump up to them, potentially startling them and costing you a perfect capture if not the entire capture

42 minutes ago, khadharphak said:

I just find it hilarious that virtual stuffed animals are your new “Nemesis Mode” 😆

Sawgaws are terrible.  They're the only one that I've seen just slide out of the way to avoid getting shot.  They weren't dodging, they were just perched, idle on a mushroom, and when I tried to shoot them, they just slid to the side by like 5 meters, and then slid back into position.  Every single flippin time.  Also the whole "landing ONLY on top of mushrooms while the call points are ALWAYS on the ground" is utter garbage.  Needs to be sent back to the drawing board.

I'm in the same boat. The only Floofs I'm missing 1 of each type from the Fortuna Series are the Sawgaws and the Horrasque's.

Cetus Series is gonna be a second set of headaches I reckon since the Condrocs and Mergoos are both flying critters and compared to Orb Vallis Plains of Eidolon is busier with Grineer and patrolling enemies (Thumpers,Dargyns,Squads and Eidolons)

Most common bug I get is they fall asleep in the sky instead of dropping to the ground as Ivara or Equinox.

Edited by Atomic_Noodles

After i got experienced in catching them they're easy enoughh.. They only bug and clip through mushrooms if you try using abilities that sleep them or slow them.

Its abit hilarious but the more tools you try use to make it easier the more likely they are to bug out. I cant really offer advice though other than:

• learn to spot from a distance.
  • Use Archwing
  • Dont giveup if you get spotted. You can actually chase em across the map.
  • Dont rely on abilities (even cloak)
  • use the environment to your advantage (they go from mushroom to mushroom so either wait for them to move to a spot thats easier for you to target or make some distance and fly up in archwing to have your shot.
  • If you slept one that gets stuck in the air then switch to Archwing and fly up to it.
Edited by CarrotSalad