The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Grineer Pump Action

PopTartZombie

I had some old games on my PC I thought I would revisit. In playing Star Wars: Republic Commando I stumbled upon the Trandoshan ACP (accelerated charge particle array) "shotgun". 

I got all kinds of goosebumps hearing Boss say

"Hmm. An energy weapon that looks like a slugthrower. I didn't think lizards were that nostalgic."

By far my favorite level, and weapon in that game. Now I'm not asking DE to directly copy the gun from SW: Republic Commando. It's really just something that could inspire the design heavily. If you haven't played it, I would highly recommend it to anybody as a great classic fps.

Nothing says clunky, adrenaline filled, space shotgun like that shotgun. While using it and loving every minute of it, I was thinking to myself "something like this would make such a fun grinner shotgun".

350?cb=20060312185821

Image sourced from Google, only for reference.

As far as stats and everything go, I'm content with that being up to DE. As long as that clunky, cheaply made, pump action space shotgun was the goal.

I'm well aware of the Sobek, Hek (grineer) and Corinth (Tenno? Pump-action). This would be a Pump-Action grineer shotgun.

I've really been waiting to see if a shotgun would surface that just makes you wanna say "blow" every time you fire it. Maybe two in the game do that. There is a pretty noticable shotgun lackage. Out of the 5 or 6. Only 2 I've seen/heard mentioned as great shotguns. The Tigris (great double barrel) and Hek (good starter shotgun).

If you agree, please leave a comment, if not, also leave a comment and explain why if you don't mind. Thank you for your time.

Edited by PopTartZombie

On 2019-07-30 at 1:50 PM, PopTartZombie said:

There is a pretty noticeable shotgun lackage. Out of the 5 or 6. Only 2 I've seen/heard mentioned as great shotguns. The Tigris (great double barrel) and Hek (good starter shotgun).

Do you play at all in public missions? Nearly every single Pub-squad I run in, there is some Arca-Plasmor junkie evaporating everything in sight. The damned thing is everywhere and I find it impossible to avoid.

On topic: When I think chunky pump-action shotguns in games, I default to the pump-shotty in DOOM. It's pretty much the bread & butter when it comes to that style, and a Grineer-esque design could work well. We could probably do with a Grineer-based pump-action just to round out the arsenal, since there is a Tenno (Corinth, Strun) and Corpus (Arca Plasmor) variant.

So obviously yes a Grineer variant would be a fitting addition. The question becomes: How does it fit into the existing arsenal without stepping on the toes of the current shotgun-class items? How does it differentiate from the Corinth, Plasmor, Hek, Sobek, Strun, Boar, Attica, Tigris, and Quartakk? Technically the Convectrix and Phage are shotguns but they don't behave as such. Quartakk isn't a shotgun but it does behave as such. Does it just function as a higher MR Corinth, sitting at 10-13 instead of 8? Does it have a multi-shot shell option for slugs, flechettes or such?

23 hours ago, (XB1)RPColten said:

So obviously yes a Grineer variant would be a fitting addition. The question becomes: How does it fit into the existing arsenal without stepping on the toes of the current shotgun-class items? How does it differentiate from the Corinth, Plasmor, Hek, Sobek, Strun, Boar, Attica, Tigris, and Quartakk? Technically the Convectrix and Phage are shotguns but they don't behave as such. Quartakk isn't a shotgun but it does behave as such. Does it just function as a higher MR Corinth, sitting at 10-13 instead of 8? Does it have a multi-shot shell option for slugs, flechettes or such?

Arca Plasmor: I've seen people using it yes, haven't used it personally, and I didn't even know it was a shotgun.

Yes, doom is also another good example of a clunky pump action shotty.

To make it stand out, it could easily be like the heat based weapons the grineer have. Shooting super heated bird shot. Also having a higher status chance, (maybe 26%). Could possibly be a dual damage type using only puncture and heat as well. With the pellets being super heated, they can puncture flesh easier. They could also give it a really unique sound and put the animators to work and give it a fancy new reload function like they did with the Quatz. Except flame AOE and the clip flying off and throwing in a new one then one handed pump for the reload. For the mastery requirement, I'd agree, being right at or around MR 12.

Edited by PopTartZombie